What do you miss most from the Gen. I era?

"...You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… BLUE! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion!"

What i miss most is the gargatuan gigantic WHAAT i screamed that day
OMG, I almost cried when I found out I had to battle another trainer. I lost epicly the first few times.

What I miss the most is completely having no idea what to do since I was a little kid XP.

EDIT: I also miss in Pokemon Yellow the Pikachu that would get pissed at you and make you go CYNICAL.

The simpler times. I was a late teen when RBY came out and still had no idea what I was doing. Now, almost 4 generations, 400+ pokes, a TON of mechanics later(EV's, IV's, special stat split, physical/special move split - though this was good IMO, etc)there's a LOT of grinding. I see why a lot of the older players especially pokesav their pokes and use AR, etc. There's less time to do the competitive things in this game. That, and like everyone else, the fact that EVERYBODY played....from the geeks to the jocks(well...not everybody being that I was in high school, there were still the haters "OMGits4lilkidslol")

EDIT: lol @ Google - is that supposed to be Sonic the Hedgehog....after the drugs & alcohol?

I think that they could accomplish something good with 5th gen. Possibly. Like said before, they need to bring back that sense of wonder and excitement that made RBY what it was/is. I think they nailed the first two generations. They were creative and simple at the same time. The best thing i find about the first and second gen games is not having to worry about what nature pokemon you get when playing in-game. You find a pokemon, and you catch one, and you use it. Perfect. Like someone said before, they can't beat RBY's rival character. Maybe they could somehow bring him into the 5th gen story line, that'd be kick ass. Man, there's so much to say, but lets face it guys; the good old days are over, and they're not coming back. The reason we call them the good old days is because of that nostalgia, and they can't capture that as well as playing the original games themselves. Even with a remake. HGSS is going to be good with all the upgrades, but the original GSC games still win in terms of that awesome feeling you get, because it looks old, not new, and that's what brings you the feeling... you know what i mean?

Ah, the good ol' days.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It6xj40UVRM

watch it!

"...You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… BLUE! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion!"

The best comeback line for the "champion" to say to the trainer:

"SAD FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUU!"

I remember when I first got my red version my gameboy died and I though I beat the game 'cause of that. lol Mad fun back then.

locopoke

Banned deucer.

Your rival's name is Green, not Blue. Blue is a girl.

I think I miss the old animations the most. Some were detailed for the era, others were just down right funny. I miss using Hyper Beam in G1, best attack for the era (and best looking!).

I always laugh every time I see Gastly in this Gen.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I missed the fact that you didn't have to worry about EV's...All you needed to do to train the Pokemon was get them to Lv100...Nowadays, you have to distribute 510 EV's first to make a competitive Pokemon first...

I also miss the Goofy-looking sprites & the catchy tunes...Good thing I still have Yellow & a GBA to play it with...

Those were the good old days...

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The excitement of playing because everyone was into it back then, it was the cool thing to do. Nowadays I don't feel ashamed that I still play but I sure as hell won't be telling about a certain battling simulator I play on...

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
The things I miss the most would probably be the graphics and pokemon. I really frequently load up my yellow or crystal just to use my favorite pokes like Hera, tauros, beedrill, scyther, kabutops etc not stupid retarded looking things like bibarel and probopass(wtf really). The graphics just added to the experience. Tbh if they make a new feature in the next gen game to play it with 2nd and 1st gen graphics I'll totally use it.

Honestly, a thing which I miss a bit (in-game, not competitively) was the old DV/EV system. It sucks when you use a Roserade to fight against Rock-type mons in Platinum and she ends up with only Defense EVs and crappy SpA. In Gen I (and Gen II as well), the fact that every Pokémon contributed to all stats made playthroughs much more enjoyable IMO. You didnt have to worry about having an Impish Alakazam or a Relaxed Jolteon, too.

Indeed, while sometimes I still find myself play RBYGSC again (on emulators, obviously), I would hardly want to start again RSE (and especially DPPt).
I agree with this very much. I believe the changes made things better competition wise, but for general playthrough in the games it was much nicer knowing that you didn't get 'unlucky' raising your starter or that you got a really high level Pokemon but their statisitcs were bad.

One thing I miss a lot are the older Pokemon themselves. To me they looked really amazing and realistic, and I could connect them to actual animals and such, and it made the experience much more colourful and real. That was strongly present in gn 1, still present in ge. 2 even thoguh it wasn't as prominent, gen 3. was iffy, but gen 4 I don't know what any of these Pokemon are anymore =/

what i miss most from r/b/y would easily be getting my first pokemon from oak and feeling super stoked when i beat gary's charmander with only tackle and growl lol. also just blowing all day leveling up pokemon and thinking i was THE pokemon master! oh and onix was kinda tough to obtain and he actually was scary in the hands of brock, freaking awesome.

R/B/Y (and to a lesser extent GSC) really do make the expression "ignorance is bliss" ring true. In those days, knowing the type advantages was enough to make you a badass battler. I sure thought I was hot shit because I knew Ground beat Electric and all that. No EV's or natures to worry about, either... No breeding either. You damn well went out and caught your Pokemon the hard way if you wanted multiples.

More than anything, I miss having only 5 HM's. They each actually had a use. Now they've tacked on stupid crap like Rock Climb... HM's really make playthroughs a lot less enjoyable for me on the more recent games. When you have to waste like every moveslot on your water-type for Surf, Waterfall, Whirpool, Dive, etc., it quickly feels like you can't choose how to play the game. Back in RBY, you didn't even necessarily need a water.

I miss the rival, of course, but I also enjoyed the one in GSC. The RSE one was crap, and DPPt just felt like a watered down Gary/Blue/Green/whatever you want to call him.

I miss not knowing which Pokemon were good other than legendaries and like Dragonite. I still remember going in to the Elite Four the first time with my Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Gyarados, Venusaur, and something like a Clefable and Omastar. I don't think a single one was above 40 and I taught them the most random things.

On a more personal note, I miss the weird nicknames only my 6-8 year old self could invent. My Clefable was called PkMn(the symbols, not letters)RQ and then a male sign on the end or something. I remember my Bulbasaur was named SEE because I tried to name it SEED but missed the D. Didn't even bother changing it at the name rater.

I miss there being a definitive best Pokemon, head and shoulders above the rest. There was simplicity and mystery with the legendaries; the birds just existed, without any explanation. Mewtwo had a semblance of a backstory with the mansion, but it was so vague it only made him more menacing. Seeing the ruins of the mansion... Back then legendaries did things. None of this recent "almost" destroying the world but not actually doing anything.

I could go on for several pages, haha, but I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Dude, I just remembered when I used to play yellow laying in bed all day playing the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack with my pet rat Jellybean, whose nickname was Beanarina. for hours she would eat cheetos and sit on my chest while I battled it out with my clefable, alakazam, golem, gengar, pikachu and starmie.... those were the days.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I miss the days when Pokemon looked like animals with vaguely elemental properties tacked on. Now we've got cute round stacks of shit with vaguely animal properties tacked on.

I miss whiting out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)