Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 22 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt know straight 31 were possible, but its also going to become the lead in my competitive team :)
Try to atleast get Atk, Spe, and HP maxed since you can potentially get three IVs passed down from one of the parents (or more if you use the Power Items in HGSS).

Sorry I couldn't think of any terms to search for so I'm just going to ask...

The last Pokemon games I played were Gold and Silver. I'm back into it with the re-releases. Are those games viable for tournament play? Should I pick up Diamon/Pearl/Platinum if I want to battle competitively?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry I couldn't think of any terms to search for so I'm just going to ask...

The last Pokemon games I played were Gold and Silver. I'm back into it with the re-releases. Are those games viable for tournament play? Should I pick up Diamon/Pearl/Platinum if I want to battle competitively?
Platinum's special move tutors are easier to access and easier to use than HG/SS's, but by all means they are completely viable for playing competitively with. Some people even prefer to use HG/SS since the exp yield is better (Red + boosted E4) as well as easier EV training spots.

I think this is the appropriate thread.
I need a lead here, I'm leaning towards

Forsslass
Timid
Focus Slash
Def. 4 / Spe. 252 / SpA. 252
Destiny bond / ice beam / spikes / taunt

or

Abomasnow
Hasty
Choice Scarf
Atk. 174 / Spe. 252 / SpA. 84
blizzard / brick break / earthquake / woodhammer

I'm still relatively new to the competitive world so what would you guys recommend? Here's the rest of the team.

Lucario
Adamant
Life orb
Atk. 252 / Spe. 252 / Def. 4
Close Combat / crunch / extremespeed / swords dance

Blissey
Calm
Leftovers
HP 24 / Def. 252 / SpD. / 232
Flamethhrower / softboiled / toxic / wish

Latias
Timid
leftovers
HP 128 / Spe. 252 / SpA. 128
calm mind / dragon pulse / recover / roar

Salamence
rash
life orb
HP 80 / Spe. 176 / SpA. 252
Brick break / draco meteor / fire blast / earthquake

Gliscor
Jolly
Life orb
Atk. 252 / Def. 4 / Spe. 252
earthquake / ice fang / stone edge / swords dance

I apologize if this is the wrong thread, I looked around. I would appreciate if you guys would point out any mistakes I made and recommend me a lead, thanks!

Use Froslass, nothing on your team benefits from Hail (it actually makes your team considerably worse because you have two dragons)

Hey guys, I'm brand new to competitive battling and this website. I have been playing Pokemon since R/B/Y however and have owned at least 1 game in every generation. Just a little back story on me, but now my main question:

So I know there are tiers for Pokemon, OU, UU, etc. If a battle is strictly OU for example, does that include OU and any tier under it, or is it ONLY OU Pokemon? Thanks guys. :)

Hey guys, I'm brand new to competitive battling and this website. I have been playing Pokemon since R/B/Y however and have owned at least 1 game in every generation. Just a little back story on me, but now my main question:

So I know there are tiers for Pokemon, OU, UU, etc. If a battle is strictly OU for example, does that include OU and any tier under it, or is it ONLY OU Pokemon? Thanks guys. :)
OU includes everything but Ubers, UU includes everything, but Ubers, OU and BL, etc.

Is a Brave Skuntank viable? I'm breeding (not RNGing), and while I was shooting for Adamant, I'm thinking Brave might actually work well with my set:

Skuntank / Leftovers / Aftermath -- Adamant / Brave
Taunt
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Poison Jab / Explosion / Fire Blast

The idea is you use Taunt, which forces the foe to either use an attack (hit 'em with Sucker Punch) or switch (Pursuit). Either way, you get a priority base-80 move.

For the fourth move, I was going to go with Poison Jab for the STAB or Explosion when I was thinking Adamant, but now... Brave (+Atk -Spe) means that Fire Blast could potentially pack some (halfway) decent punch, especially with the EV investment I would've been putting into Speed otherwise.

So my question is, does Skuntank really benefit from the speed? Should I keep breeding to try to get an Adamant (shouldn't be too hard--Everstoned mama's adamant), or does this seem like a viable set?

Is a Brave Skuntank viable? I'm breeding (not RNGing), and while I was shooting for Adamant, I'm thinking Brave might actually work well with my set:

Skuntank / Leftovers / Aftermath -- Adamant / Brave
Taunt
Pursuit
Sucker Punch
Poison Jab / Explosion / Fire Blast

The idea is you use Taunt, which forces the foe to either use an attack (hit 'em with Sucker Punch) or switch (Pursuit). Either way, you get a priority base-80 move.

For the fourth move, I was going to go with Poison Jab for the STAB or Explosion when I was thinking Adamant, but now... Brave (+Atk -Spe) means that Fire Blast could potentially pack some (halfway) decent punch, especially with the EV investment I would've been putting into Speed otherwise.

So my question is, does Skuntank really benefit from the speed? Should I keep breeding to try to get an Adamant (shouldn't be too hard--Everstoned mama's adamant), or does this seem like a viable set?
Brave serves no purpose on that set other than for using Fire Blast, but I still don't think it's a great idea. Maybe if you switched Pursuit out for Payback, but unless you're using Fire Blast specifically, I really wouldn't recommend Brave. And you would never use Explosion on a Brave set, that's almost redundant

Platinum's special move tutors are easier to access and easier to use than HG/SS's, but by all means they are completely viable for playing competitively with. Some people even prefer to use HG/SS since the exp yield is better (Red + boosted E4) as well as easier EV training spots.
Platinum definitely has the best EV training spots but I much prefer the Heart Gold and Soul Silver move tutors over the Platinum tutors. The tutors in my Heart Gold are all more centralized, you don't need any HMs to access them, and in my opinion, BP are much easier to efficiently obtain than Shards.

Edit: Sorry Haunter, I don't really know how to reply to multiple quotes at the same time.

Brave serves no purpose on that set other than for using Fire Blast, but I still don't think it's a great idea. Maybe if you switched Pursuit out for Payback, but unless you're using Fire Blast specifically, I really wouldn't recommend Brave. And you would never use Explosion on a Brave set, that's almost redundant
Right. Sorry--that was unclear. The first two options for the last move are only for Adamant.

I'd considered Payback, but then I don't think Taunt is worth it to complement only one move (Pursuit or Sucker Punch).

Yeah... So I guess either I should drop the Taunt Trap in favor of Payback or I should go for Adamant...

[Edit: now THAT'S interesting--the exact IV spread of this baby stunky (HP 31 / Atk 31 / Def 23 / SpA 22 / SpD 23 / Spe 10) happens to be a perfect spread for Hidden Power Water... don't know WHY I'd want to run HP Water, but...)]

[Edit 2: LOL! What a waste... with the EV spread that works out, HP Water doesn't even OHKO a Camerupt.]

Can Arceus' ability Multitype be Skill Swapped onto another non-Arceus pokemon holding a plate? Essentially, can I use that to change the typing of a pokemon in battle?

I'll repost this, since it's fallen off the page. What effect, if any, does using a power item to breed IV's have on the odds to breed the other IV's? If it's currently unknown, I'll take that answer too.

Also, I have conflicting reports on the effects of two power items. A quick test with a female 31/X/31/X/31/X Skorupi@Power Band and a 31/X/31/X/X/31 skorupi@power weight showed a less then 100% chance to pass down HP (two hatched eggs couldn't have had perfect HP, both had perfect spec. def). How does this work? Does it always use one, not the other? Is there a chance of one, the other, or both? Again, I would prefer an answer, even if it's "we don't know yet"

Thanks in advance.

RNG question re: parent IVs

in the RNG guide, it states that having parents with as many of the target IVs as possible is required to RNG a perfect poke.

if i am trying to RNG a machamp with 31/31/31/dont care/31/31, is it necessary that the parents have some 31 IVs? i ask because i was planning on using two caught lv50 machokes whose IVs i can find out using metalkids calculator and a few rare candies. so far none of them have any 31 IVs.

this is my first attempt at RNG manipulation so i want to make sure im not shooting myself in the foot right from the get go.

Alright, so Serebii says Starmie/Claydol/Slowking learn Magic Coat, Smogon/Bulbapedia say they don't.

Who's right?

I understand I can't pass on 2 IV's guaranteed with the power items, lame! But if 2 pokemon were breeding and each have one, is there something that decides what IV from which pokemon the baby will inherit?

I'm going to be breeding a Jolteon soon, Timid, most likely Choice Specs. By the looks of it though, I should be able to make a Timid Eevee that fits any of the common move sets.

My questions, though, are:

Hidden Power: Grass or Ice?

Are there any Egg Moves I should breed? Either for Jolteon or for the next point:

Is a Timid nature ideal for any of the other Eevee evolutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)