Sugimori-"style" Pokemon

I''d love to see Absol in your style~

These are truly excellent and nice looking :) I can't find the right words to describe them...colourful?

I actually think that looks pretty great. Could be a bit brighter overall as far as his yellow side goes, but I think it looks like you could do this without the hints. So uh, why haven't you ventured into self drawn yet? I mean, in my opinion you've already got one of the harder parts down well enough. If you understand the shading aspect, then I'm willing to bet you understand the shapes you are re-shading. So then try it!

Again, a pokemon I hate, but Luxray is so good that it seems like your best work to me. Whatever you did there is really good. Most are great though!

The only one I find could use real improvement is Arbok. Its face is really messed up.

Pretty good vectors.
I can tell it's a tad blocky at parts, but overally I can see you took your time.
Just remember, the more time you take on vectors the better. Good job.

Very nice! Have you tried using Adobe Illustrator for this? I know you use Flash, but I do know from experience that Adobe Illustrator is a better program for this sort of stuff. Although, you did manage to use do an extremely good job in Flash, I can imagine that if you used Illustrator, they'd look like the original, but only vectorised and cleaner as well. Not only that, but you can export to SVG from Illustrator.

If you don't have Illustrator, or can't afford it however, there is Inkscape, or simply just using Flash as it is now - which has its advantages as well, as you can make animations in flash, which is something that might be worth giving a shot.

Illustrator and Inkscape might be a bit too easy and take the fun out of it though, at least once you discover the autotrace utilities. :p

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Yeah I suggest you try to get Illustrator, so you can use gradients and mesh, which will make your vectors a lot smoother and truer to the original.

Hmm, well I do have Illustrator as part of CS4, and I'd never taken a look at the gradient mesh tool, so I will have to try it out sometime. I'm really quite a beginner at all things graphical - I'm more of a developer, hence using Flash for these images. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you're still making them, can you make HGSS Porygon2, but turn it into sprite size, because I want to pixel it over (myself) after I get it.

Dude, these seriously kick ass! I forsee many people using these in their RMT's from now on (including myself if you don't mind).

Thanks! Feel free to use them wherever.

And voila! HGSS Porygon2:

I'm not sure how I feel about the thin bands of shading in this one, which I took from the original.

And it's not sprite size, sorry, but I'm sure you can find a way to scale it down. It loses its essence when it's that small though.

Also, Porygon2 in its digital form:

I love your work <3 Um, just a question though xD How do you get your vectors looking so nice? Do you colour in over the line art layer?

Thanks! It's really quite simple. You can actually see one step of how I do it if you take a look at the "digital Porygon2" picture above.

I first outline the shape of the Pokémon, then I outline each colour region that is in the original. Then it's just a matter of taking the paint bucket and dropping a colour into each section! Of course, then I hide the lines that I drew. :)

It's neat, I actually find the activity quite relaxing.

Whenever you are free, I wouldn't mind seeing Castform, Porygon, Altered Giratina, Origin Giratina, Lugia, and Ho-Oh (in order of priority and the newest Sugimori Art for each one). I'm not really going to use them, but I want to see what they would look like.

Where do you find your Sugimori images, because it looks like you get big and high-resolution (aka nice looking) images, and I would want those just because.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if you do this, but if you could do what you did to the Sugimori Art to sprites? I would like to enlargen the sprites in my avatar and make them look like the images you make.

EDIT2: Thanks, although I don't really like it (it's not you, it's Castform), but at least I know that I don't like him that way now. I actually really like Sugimori Art the way it is, but your stuff is really good too.

Castform! I've always liked this guy, and I think I like how he turned out (also he was very simple to draw)!

In the past I'd typically just Google "sugimori <pokemon name>", lately I've been using the images hosted on Bulbapedia. The images don't need to be very high-res in order for me to trace over them.

I've never tried vectorising a game sprite, but now I'll have to try it to see how it would turn out.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
oh my gosh, Porygon2 looks absolutely squeaky clean smooth and cute and cuddly?? I am in love with it.

also Castform is cute, even if he sucks. I love your style.

edit: i always feel like there are threads (art threads) i have posted in already giving my praise, but apparently this is my first post in this one, what the hell?? anyway Luxray is amazing, I really like how bright and actually white-hotONFIYA Quilava looks, Lucario looks fantastic, and I really like Scizor as well. I love how shiny you makes things look? It's as if they're just BOOM, in pristine, handsome condition. all I have is love to giiiiiiiiive.

That's a very cute Castform. By the way, the thin band shading looks good, since it's true to the original -- very suitable to its style. And thanks for your advice! On the suggestion of the posters above I'm going to move my vectoring endeavours to Illustrator, since I've been vectoring in Flash as well.

OHDDEEE! I like the shading of these arts and especially the high glossy Scizor. Swampert? Why not add Swampert in there. Otherwise, they're great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)