Metalheads United ;D

So I've finally listened to enough Opeth to know that they're amazing. The Blackwater Park album caught my interest. Bleak, Harvest, and The Drapery Falls are easily a few of the best songs I've heard in a while.

Anyone hear of a band from Florida called The Absence? (Not core.) They sound like an excellent mix of In Flames and At The Gates with Arsis-esque vocals. They're a breath of fresh air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouSrWuaUqSA -"Dead and Gone"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-tnmbfD70 -"Echos"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzKu5Cannc -"The Victorious Dead"

So I've finally listened to enough Opeth to know that they're amazing. The Blackwater Park album caught my interest. Bleak, Harvest, and The Drapery Falls are easily a few of the best songs I've heard in a while.
Blackwater Park is fantastic for sure.

what other Opeth have you heard?

everything is exceptional except for Deliverance (which has grown on me quite a bit in the last few years) and Watershed (which i like less and less the more i listen to it...)

check out the bands Leprous and Barren Earth.

i think you'll dig in a big way.

Damn. I just realised I haven't been to an Iron Maiden concert since 2005... That's a long time... I'm really looking forward to Sonisphere and seeing the big four though, which more than makes up for it I guess.

On that subject, what does everyone think of El Dorado? Not as good as the classics to me but still a pretty good song, with a couple of new things, same old galloping bass. Really annoyed that I can't get to Maiden in dublin =/ in England for the week and my parents aren't forking out the money for sonisphere and I'm too young to go alone. Hopefully there'll be more dates in 2011.

I just heard an album called Over the Top by a newer band known as White Wizzard. The band plays traditional heavy metal, something I wouldn't think to see from a new band. Over the Top is just an awesome album and worth checking out, it's such a shame though that the bassist Jon Leon already changed the whole line up.

I heard a White Wizzad song on the radio a few days ago.

It sounded melodic metalcore-ish just without screams or abusive breakdowns. I don't remember it being terrible or great, so it probably just didn't interest me.

Of course I tend to hear something on the radio once, then hear it again later and go "fuck that sounds different than I remember" so take my words with a bit of salt.

I heard a White Wizzad song on the radio a few days ago.

It sounded melodic metalcore-ish just without screams or abusive breakdowns. I don't remember it being terrible or great, so it probably just didn't interest me.

Of course I tend to hear something on the radio once, then hear it again later and go "fuck that sounds different than I remember" so take my words with a bit of salt.
They're nothing metalcore at all man, you must have heard different. White Wizzard is start up traditional heavy metal.

White Wizzard - Over the Top

3 Inches is Canadian though :A

And their new album is trash, I love alot of the stuff of their first 3 albums but the new stuff doesn't have any edge at all.

Well the style is still there. So BLEH. :V

Eh. That's just what happened to be playing on my iTunes at the time. And I still like their new album, even if the older stuff is better. Maybe because it was the first album I heard from them. But if I'm listening to them I'm just looking for something that I can wear a viking hat and brandish a plastic sword while singing at the top of my lungs until I pass out to. They're like my substitute for Manowar or such a band.

Though I really need to download that Alestorm album sometime...

Did anyone else watch The Big Four - Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax in the movie theaters yesterday? It was about four hours long. Anthrax played awesome and it was nice to see Joey Belladonna back in the band, Megadeth well is Megadeth and played great. Saw Slayer's set, it was alright but nothing that was overwhelming. Their highlight of the night was "Chemical Warfare". I left during Metallica's set, but I was surprised they started with "Creeping Death", "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Harvester of Sorrow", and "Fade to Black". They are showing in encore of this event tomorrow, check your local listings.

Why were you surprised about Metallica's opening songs? Creeping Death and For whom the Bell Tolls were the first songs in every outdoors concert lately and Fade to Black has a safe place in their setlist in this tour. And Harvester of Sorrow has already been played twice in Big 4 shows so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

The real surprise was Am I evil? but I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...

Anyway I will be seeing them tomorrow live in Athens and I'm really excited. It's a dream come true... Big 4 fuck yeah

Why were you surprised about Metallica's opening songs? Creeping Death and For whom the Bell Tolls were the first songs in every outdoors concert lately and Fade to Black has a safe place in their setlist in this tour. And Harvester of Sorrow has already been played twice in Big 4 shows so it wasn't that much of a surprise.
I was probably surprised because I don't keep up with Metallica. Anyway it's a real shame Heaven & Hell didn't get to play this show. RIP Ronnie James Dio. :'(

been listening to a lot of new-to-me stuff the past couple days.

Colosseum is awesome, and i'm quite sad that the dude passed on, as the third volume was probably going to be nothing short of immense.

Down was a chore to get through, as was Doomsword and Cathedral. stoner and traditional doom are REALLY not my thing at all.

Rapture and Wormphlegm were pretty mediocre. not awful, but not very impressive either.

Doom:VS is pretty great death/doom, and Winter was a lot better than i expected.

The Fall of Every Season was better than a lot of stuff i've heard, but seemed to lack something essential...

Forgotten Tomb is playing now, and i'm really liking it. it's a lot doomier than most of the "suicidal black metal" i've heard, and ignoring the dumbass aesthetic, the music is pretty damn good.

Saturnus is last up for the workday. looking forward to it.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't listened to so much new bands lately, as just new albums... but I got some shit at Graspop to sink my teeth into:

Amorphis's Tales from the Thousand Lakes, The Crusher by Amon Amarth, Gojira's Terra Incognita and that first Eluveitie album called Spirit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)