Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just play through the games without any help. It worked with HG. You must use common sense and take time to explore things. Otherwise you won't get anywhere.
I read some things on serebii though.
This should work for most people. I read enough Japanese to get through it fine so I'm not concerned. Really, it adds a layer of complexity, but it's a manageable feat for someone who doesn't read Japanese. No need to start a discussion about this btw, I think the question has been now answered great. *just for other posters*

When we have enough info, where should we put movesets for new pokemon (and old ones too)? In a thread here or directly to C+C?

Discussion threads will be set up for discussing the Pokémon themselves. After some time, there will be an announcement on how C&C plans to proceed, so stay tuned.

A quick question:

What are the character limits for Trainer and Pokemon names? And how do English letters fit into those?

To all of the people who are preordering Black or White, how are you planning on playing through it? Can all of the people understand Japanese, are they planning on just winging it or are they planning on using online resources.
The three-step process I used to play my import copies of Diamond, Pearl, and Heart Gold without knowing Japanese (and will use again for Black and White):

1) Talk to every NPC in each new town. If they ask questions, talk to them repeatedly and pick every answer. When they stop asking, that means either I picked the right answer or that it's some kind of challenge like Blaine's gym where I only had one chance, but losing is no big deal.

2) Choose my moves only for their type, power, accuracy, and PP, because I won't know their secondary effects. When I gain a level and I can either learn the move or let it go, just focus on what I can read. (Yeah, I could go look up the moves online, but usually I don't need to for purposes of just beating the game. For example, the only way I'd take Lava Plume over Fire Blast when I'm not even EV training is if I wanted the extra PP, so the burn chance would just be a bonus.)

3) Explore everywhere, especially when I get a new HM. If some guy or girl won't let me onto a new route, just make a mental note and go back to that route whenever I get stuck to see if they'll let me through now. If I get really, really stuck, find a walkthrough. This only happened to me once in D/P, when the Team Galactic member ran away from Pastoria (didn't know I was supposed to chase him), and once in HG/SS, when the Team Rocket member told me where to find the missing Power Plant part.

From there, I just play like normal: I'd catch types that have decent synergy, fight every trainer for experience points, and abuse the VS Seeker (assuming it's still in). Almost everything else falls into place from familiarity, and the things that don't are usually pretty easy to get past. To me it's almost the same experience.

Moves are still going to be super effective/not very effective/neutral and will make sound effects to tell me which one they are when they hit, I'll still know poison/paralysis/burn/sleep/confusion/attraction when I see them, and items will still have their unique icons. Sure, I won't know what Pokemon the computer is bringing in after a KO with the Shift setting turned on, but that just makes an easy series a little more challenging. Sure, in Pearl I didn't know Brave Bird had recoil when I learned it, but I only had to use it once to find out. Sure, maybe I could confuse Dry Skin for Water Absorb, but either way I'd stop attacking with Surf--and that's really what counts.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I don't really have any questions, but I just wanted to say I LOVE the new forums and I am SOO getting pokemon black and white. Smiling toast image (which I STILL don't know how to insert LOL) if you agree with me!

It's been set to be released on April 1st, 2010 iirc.
No, there's no confirmed release date yet--that's just a placeholder date that GameStop uses (note the date--April 1st, April Fool's Day). They used the exact same placeholder date for HeartGold and SoulSilver (which didn't end up being released on that date). So it's very unlikely that will be the actual release date. What it will really be is still a mystery for now.

I'm getting white when it comes to America. I'm tempted to get the Japanese version so I can get the Japanese events (they are usually better), but I won't have an English copy to help me advance in the game to know what I'm doing! What exactly is the "dream world"? From what I understand, it's a special place you go to encounter pokemon with abilities that are different from the original?? But how would you access this place and encounter pokemon? Also, has anyone heard if your leading pokemon will follow you around like in HGSS? I don't think I saw the pokemon following along with you on a commercial I saw, but I'm unsure.

I don't really have any questions, but I just wanted to say I LOVE the new forums and I am SOO getting pokemon black and white. Smiling toast image (which I STILL don't know how to insert LOL) if you agree with me!
Just click the toast smilie on the right side of the post window like so. :toast: And I'm going to wait till they come to America as well. I play the ingame part mostly for the playthrough of it and I can't read any Japanese, so I wouldn't get any of the plot.

From all pictures we've seen of the game the follow function is gone.
Which is complete bull shit. We've seen that the Pokemon have overworld sprites so they can run around in the Daycare so they could have just used them for the following feature.

Images aren't working for me....*Smiling Toast*.

Anyway, will this change the Wi-Fi forums? Would we have to state what generation we battle/trade in as a rule or something?

Any word yet on exactly what features are DSi only, and what those features do? I heard one was some sort of scan or something, and I think there was one more feature, but don't recall what they were or what they did.

I'm getting white when it comes to America. I'm tempted to get the Japanese version so I can get the Japanese events (they are usually better), but I won't have an English copy to help me advance in the game to know what I'm doing! What exactly is the "dream world"? From what I understand, it's a special place you go to encounter pokemon with abilities that are different from the original?? But how would you access this place and encounter pokemon? Also, has anyone heard if your leading pokemon will follow you around like in HGSS? I don't think I saw the pokemon following along with you on a commercial I saw, but I'm unsure.
Dream world is a website where you can sync your game to. You meet pokes and have house decor and grow your berries there, and pokes you meet will appear in the game, they usually (I think) have different abilities

Basically, I think it acts as the new underground/secret base as well as a place to encounter non-Isshu (aka previous gen) pokemon with different abilities.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Any word yet on exactly what features are DSi only, and what those features do? I heard one was some sort of scan or something, and I think there was one more feature, but don't recall what they were or what they did.
The Video Chat is one thing.

When do english language names of the pokemon begin to be released? I know we have a few already, and the bulk won't be known until the games come out, but I assume during the advertising campain before they are released in the US some names will be revealed. If so, when (using d/p as a reference of course)?

I don't know if anyone asked this yet. And I know that it can't be answered until someone actually gets the game.

My question is, are you able to use the DSi-enhanced features on a US DSi?

My reason for wanting to know: well, I have a japanese friend that lives in japan, and I planned to play the game with him in a rivalry. I would like if I could use live caster with him every once in a while. Or be able to use the Dream World mechanic. I can use some of the DSi-enhanced features to communicate with him from time to time.*Hoping that everything works for a US DSi*

I don't know if anyone asked this yet. And I know that it can't be answered until someone actually gets the game.

My question is, are you able to use the DSi-enhanced features on a US DSi?

My reason for wanting to know: well, I have a japanese friend that lives in japan, and I planned to play the game with him in a rivalry. I would like if I could use live caster with him every once in a while. Or be able to use the Dream World mechanic. I can use some of the DSi-enhanced features to communicate with him from time to time.*Hoping that everything works for a US DSi*
iirc you can't because the game is region locked (if you are referring to a jap game on a US DSi?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)