Here Comes The Sun!

I'm sorry but this post makes no sense to me. You say that "no one good uses Jolly" and then going on to say "risking Adamant while not scoring any significant 1-2HKOs isn't worth it." In the latter case you seem to be suggesting that Jolly is the preferred nature, contradicting your first point. :S
LOL I typo'd. I meant no one good uses Adamant <___< my bad.

I think what he ment was no one good uses Adamant.Yeah i kind of agree i rarely see Adamant after about top 200 or so these days.You cant imagine how many matches are reliant on Dory speed ties (Thus the trend of stupid stuff like Brick break and Rock tomb is getting really popular >_>).Sometimes the dammage output is off putting but really..Jolly is just worth it.And lol what is Gabe talking about?
Ehh well anyway...Ive been experimenting with Sun a bit i honestly cant say it was my most successful of teams.But one thing i really liked was CB Hihidurama.It hits monsterously in the sun and can pretty much ohk0 EVERY THING.A lot of people try to switch Tyranitar in on it and get 2hk0d which is also helpful.Idk what point im really trying to proove really..>_>....Just try out CbHihi out guyz okay? :].

Iunno, I like LOrbzard. Thing hits like a truck, is decently fast, and is THE Nr. 1 Suicide Bomber. He should be allowed in the Terrorist Cup.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Good to see that the rain dance thread has us completely washed.

Anyway, I've recently tried Goruggo on my sun team and he is a nice addition. Loses his water weakness while providing a resistance to rock (which is useful should you run Chairzard, Urgamoth, or Jumpluff like I do). Should you be running stealth rock, then he becomes a good spin blocker for a lot of common rapid spinners. He handles Starmie and Tentacruel in the sun with ease for example, which is something that Desukan, Dusknoir, and Dusclops can do...but the difference between guruggo and the other three is that he isn't huge shandera bait.

Let's talk about sun stall. Although mainly an offensive weather, what might sun stall have going for it. I currently run Dual Screener leaf gaurd meganium and its truly effective. My main three moves are reflect, light screen, and dragon tail but I'm experimenting with the last slot. I've also played around with using giga drain on growth tangrowth and venusaur.

Erufuun is downright the best lead if you need to prevent the Rocks from going up (Charizard/Ulgamoth), whereas Deoxys-S allows you to get hazards and Kojondo provides a great Scout.

Arcanine is an amazing counter to Tyranitar. Close Combat Murders it, and if you carry intimidate and a Balloon it can't do anything back to you. Morning Sun also allows you to survive for a while if you need to, or to heal off damage from recoil from Life Orb/Flare Blitz/Wild Bolt. And Extremespeed allows for some nice revenge kills.

And Venusaur is an absolute monster under the Sun. I ran through a team with it when I was down 1-5 and ended up pulling off a win. On that note pack a couple fire immunitys/Resists and a Fighting one too. Slowbro works well, as with Calm Mind/Slack Off/Flamethrower/Whatever it can survive forever. And switching it means it can come back and do it again with Regeneration.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
N00b Lyf3 what set do you run on your Hihidaruma? I used CB Hihi out of the sun and while it hit like a truck(I used Flare Blitz) the recoil hit a lot! For an in the sun set do you utilize Fire Punch or is Flare Blitz still your go to move?

I'm curious what would be a decent item for Hihidaruma, actually. I've been considering a Sun team focused around him, but I'd like to avoid having it Choice Locked if at all possible just to avoid enemy Flash Fire (Believe it or not, I have run across Flash Fire Shandaara in Dream World, for example. Another annoyance is Houndoom and Typhlosion.). I'm curious whether to simply keep it in the back to only be used lategame to sweep, or possibly something like Shell Bell (Never used that item, unsure of if it'd even work properly) or perhaps a SubVariant with Fire Punch.

Havn't been on PO at all lately so I don't know how sun teams are doin. Anyways, Im curious about how Exeggutor has been fairing?

Havn't been on PO at all lately so I don't know how sun teams are doin. Anyways, Im curious about how Exeggutor has been fairing?
I don't see many Exeggutor outside of supporting ones with a Powder and Sunny Day. I think most of the Cholorphyll sweeping is done by Venusaur and Victrebel, from what I've seen. Maybe it's because of Power Whip and Weather Ball. After all, Venusaur can actually beat a Heatran without a Balloon thanks to Earthquake.

What's the set or sets for Erufuun?
I use:

Erufuun (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Stun Spore

Sub the first turn if you think the enemy will attack/switch, taunt if you fell they will try and get the rocks up. Once behind a Sub begin to reak havoc Seeding and Stunning everything. Speed is to outspeed other Erufuun's. If you don't care about them then you can run a bulkier set.

Let's talk about sun stall. Although mainly an offensive weather, what might sun stall have going for it. I currently run Dual Screener leaf gaurd meganium and its truly effective. My main three moves are reflect, light screen, and dragon tail but I'm experimenting with the last slot. I've also played around with using giga drain on growth tangrowth and venusaur.
That seems like a pretty cool idea. :0 The two main contenders for that last slot in my mind are probably Toxic, so you can spread it around, or Synthesis, so you can last long enough to keep shuffling stuff. Synthesis (or even HP Fire, I guess, since it hits Steels and is boosted by Sun) would be excellent with the other three moves if you get Toxic Spikes support up.
Slowbro works well, as with Calm Mind/Slack Off/Flamethrower/Whatever it can survive forever. And switching it means it can come back and do it again with Regeneration.
...Slowbro... a Water-type on a Sun team? o___O ...that's laughably awesome.
Erufuun (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 176 HP / 80 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Stun Spore
I think this is pretty much the standard Erufuun, for those wondering, yeah. I personally wouldn't sweat other Erufuun if this is for a Sun team, as you have yea-many Fire-attack users and Grass Leech Seed resists that you can handle them with... but there you have it.

Slowbro is definitely awesome on sun teams, gaining pseudo STAB Flamethrower. You can run CM/Slack Off/Psychic/Flamethrower, which has great coverage and durability.

Anyway, I've recently tried Goruggo on my sun team and he is a nice addition. Loses his water weakness while providing a resistance to rock (which is useful should you run Chairzard, Urgamoth, or Jumpluff like I do). Should you be running stealth rock, then he becomes a good spin blocker for a lot of common rapid spinners. He handles Starmie and Tentacruel in the sun with ease for example, which is something that Desukan, Dusknoir, and Dusclops can do...but the difference between guruggo and the other three is that he isn't huge shandera bait.
This could be particularly useful for more defensive Sun teams (like you suggest below) however in general I rarely stack any more hazards than SR to break sashes/sturdy on offensive teams. Pretty interesting how he becomes much better in Sun and is useless as a blocker in Rain XD.

Anyway in terms of the Rock resist - if you don't need a spinblocker too - try Regirock. Pretty much no unboosted physical attack can OHKO him, he can set SR, and also takes Fire attacks like a boss.

This has got me interested in trying Sun Stall. I really would go with Synthesis for the last move if you want to be doing a lot of phazing (especially if you already have T-Spikes). Beware of pulling out TTar etc, however. Giga Drain is fantastic on Venusaur in particular to recover from LO recoil and residual damage, in my experience.

What are some good leads for a Drought?
Someone recommended a Genosect lead a few pages back - I run a Forretress lead which is bulky as hell and is pretty effective at SR setting and spinning, as well as having Volt Change to get Tales in.

I don't see many Exeggutor outside of supporting ones with a Powder and Sunny Day. I think most of the Cholorphyll sweeping is done by Venusaur and Victrebel, from what I've seen. Maybe it's because of Power Whip and Weather Ball. After all, Venusaur can actually beat a Heatran without a Balloon thanks to Earthquake.
Mebukijika is amazing, try it - it outspeeds literally everything except Jumpluff in Sun, and has pretty good coverage with Normal, Fight, Ground, Grass and Bug options, as well as SD. Tangrowth is fantastic too - can take Hippowdon/TTar/Politoed out of Sun if need be, its just very slow.

Does it really help to have a pokemon that can eliminate other weather changers?
It's likely just as critical, if not completely equal, to teambuilding around weather sweepers. For example: You do not want Politoad coming in all the time, and need something to kill it. You do not want Abomnasnow coming in to reset Hail freely, though being a Sun Team, I think it'd be fairly easy to kill the tree. Sandstorm and Rain are the only worrisome weather changers you really need to look over. A good protip is to run Energy Ball over Solarbeam unless you are absolutely sure you have things like Politoad locked down.

Sandstorm and Rain are the only worrisome weather changers you really need to look over.
I strongly disagree with this. A lot of supportive Pokemon for Hail teams happen to be problematic for most Sunny Day team members, such as Tentacruel, Mamoswine, or Heatran. I'd also like to point out Abomasnow has useful utility to the team, while Ninetales is often deadweight frailty.

I've tried an offensive Choice Scarf Ninetales, Fire Blast/Energy Ball/HP Ice/something, and I was really impressed. People don't see it coming. Even off a quite poor 80 base, STAB Sun-boosted Fire Blasts with no set-up except being in is sweet.

Also, has anyone tried Dugtrio to trap Ttar?

Jolly CB EQ vs 4/0 Tar: 95.3% - 112.9%

Jolly EQ vs 4/0 Tar: 63.7% - 75.4%

Jolly EQ vs 180/0 Tar: 56.5% - 66.8%

Jolly EQ vs 252/0 Tar: 54% - 63.9%

Jolly CB EQ vs 252/0 Tar: 77.7% - 92.1%

Jolly CB EQ vs 180/0 Tar: 84.5% - 100%

Nah.

Wait what? brb checking logs

EDIT: Oh wait, I didn't take hazards into account when remembering my experiences. Yeah, you're right.

EDIT: Additionally I was apparently using a LO about half the time... so the moral of the story is not that Dugtrio is a great counter, I'm just an idiot. =P

Also, you should probably take off the Kasib berry. It won't activate unless it blocks a super effective move, so Dugtrio holding it doesn't make much sense :)

I really like the Goruggo idea actually. I'm definitely going to try that out. I've been running a balanced sun team, leaning on the defensive side with SpecsCharizard + CBHihidaruma occasionally coming in and blasting something to death. I've always been annoyed when my stuff gets spun and snatches away OHKOs from Charizard :(

Wow, I'm just a barrel of great ideas, aren't I? =P

Anyway, out of curiosity what kind of leads are people using? I've been debating the merits of a Sand Strength Hippowdon lead, but I fear the lack of sand will set off a red flag or two for the opponent. I've been using Sableye to relative success (prevents hazards from ever getting up and burns the universe).

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I've run Lead Forretress to spin away hazards my opponent's lead may be setting up, set hazards of his own, and then volt change to ninetales or whoever I need at the time since he is slow. He would have to be my favorite and most effective lead thanks to the new sturdy.

Lead Donphan has worked for me as well, but lacks volt change and doesn't grant me free switches. A better lead I've used would have to be lead deoxys-s. As usual, he is perfect. I run a set with magic coat, dual screens, and taunt/stealth rock. Jolly with just 96 speed outspeeds all common taunt leads allowing me to spend the extra EVs into making him bulky. He's also useless outside of being a lead, but he's still pretty amazing.

Sableye has also worked for me quite well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)