Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

First off a huge THANK YOU to the folks who figured out how to abuse the RNG so well!!! I am already greatly in your debt.

Secondly, a little help requested:
I have been successful at hatching shiny eggs with a few perfect IV's [my third success was a Magikarp who inheirited a perfect HP and Perfect Defense from a Gyarados parent and recieved a perfect speed random]. I had no issue understanding how to calibrate [got a constant frame 7, and was getting 15 seconds for time], and just needed patience to hit the right delay [always in a nice range just took over a dozen tries to hit the one I needed].

Basically, I understand the information that RNG is giving me, and as I am having success with eggs I wanted to try to capture a few pokemon with perfect IV's for use in breeding.

Here is where I want advice....
If I catch a Pokemon by using Sweet Sent, and find that I have not hit the delay I was looking for, is it possible to then look at the list of frames for that delay and just go for another set of IV's I like by advancing the frame using the journal? That is what I hoped was possible, but the results seem unpredictable... I am working in Pearl, on the southern zone of Route 210 [which only has one wandering NPC, who I used the VS. Seeker to disable].

I tried an experiment, caught one pokemon right away, checked it's IV's, then used sweet scent right away to catch another, without attempting to use the journal or walking. I checked IV's on this new one and compared the frame it came from. I found that the RNG had advanced over 70 frames. I repeated the experiment again, using the same time I had used the first time, this time the second capured Pokemon was over 100 frames away from the first one I caught.

I am using quick balls, then Ultra balls to capture the wild pokemon, but battles are usually going several rounds. I am curious, is the battle itself advancing the RNG, and if so, is there a way to predict from the battle how far the RNG advances?

I am not trying to capture Pokemon with all perfect IV's, but mostly ones with either two or three perfect that I can then use in breeding. Because of this, it seems that if I miss my delay on one, I can almost always find multiple IV spreads that would make me happy for breeding purposes within 50 or 100 frames. I am much less picky about the results of captured Pokemon because I am looking to breed for egg moves later down the road, and just want some Poke's with a couple stats to later pass on.

Is there a way to do what I am trying to do? Or is there something I may be missing in the process?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ringo
You can use the frames list to catch a pokemon on the adjacent seed/delay if you want, but Pearl is not a good game to do this on. As you noticed from your tests, catching a pokemon advances you to the actual frame of the caught pokemon (as seen by it's IVs). You could use walking/turning in grass to advance your frames to another target spread, but it has to be a spread after the frame of your previous catch, if you do catch another pokemon beforehand. It's much better, imho, to just reset and try to hit your seed. Use ToastPlusOne's timer (Zomgtimer). It's very good and it will help you hit your correct delay. You can find a link to his timer in his sig.

Edit: To Ringo, I would just confirm that you hit your delay using coin flips. You can compare the coin flips you have to the coin flips you should have. If they match, you hit your delay. That sounds a lot less complicated than what you're trying to do.
Is there a way I can determine the delay from the coin flips without then catching a pokemon? I am consistantly hitting 15 seconds. With the one wandering NPC taken care of I am hitting frame 4 when I use sweet scent.

If I assumed that I hit my seconds correct, can I then use the coin flips to determine my delay so that I can pick a frame to advance to?

I hope my question is making sense.

Cheers

Is there a way I can determine the delay from the coin flips without then catching a pokemon? I am consistantly hitting 15 seconds. With the one wandering NPC taken care of I am hitting frame 4 when I use sweet scent.

If I assumed that I hit my seconds correct, can I then use the coin flips to determine my delay so that I can pick a frame to advance to?

I hope my question is making sense.

Cheers
Yes, you could try determining your delay by coin flips. I've had seeds where coin flips fail me and I have had to do a catch and use Seed Finder anyway, but you could try coin flips anyhow.

Again, I encourage you to actually hit your seed with a two stage timer. It's worth the extra soft resets to get the right pokemon on the right seed. Seriously, it makes no sense to go to that much effort for an adjacent delay.

ok Here it is
Shiny egg seed 97120206 PID C4FDFE43
Timid Male Ability 1 Frame 1
Year 2011 Seconds 30
R: 45 E: 38 L: 9
2011/07/09 18:58:30 Delay 507 (K, K, P skipped)
R:44 E:33 L:5

I hit my delay, gave pkm to lady
biked up and down, no calls from anyone
saved in front of Man. Got my egg, hatched,
and it was Male Timid but not shiny...any ideas why it wasn't?

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ok Here it is
Shiny egg seed 97120206 PID C4FDFE43
Timid Male Ability 1 Frame 1
Year 2011 Seconds 30
R: 45 E: 38 L: 9
2011/07/09 18:58:30 Delay 507 (K, K, P skipped)
R:44 E:33 L:5

I hit my delay, gave pkm to lady
biked up and down, no calls from anyone
saved in front of Man. Got my egg, hatched,
and it was Male Timid but not shiny...any ideas why it wasn't?
If it was also the correct nature, check your ID/SID.
If those are correct, I've had some seeds do that for whatever reason. The only thing I found to do was try a different one.

If it was also the correct nature, check your ID/SID.
If those are correct, I've had some seeds do that for whatever reason. The only thing I found to do was try a different one.
I think it's my ID/SID :/
I've hit two different seeds for that same combo
but different delays, the other was on frame 3 so I called joey once
got my egg, Male+Timid but not shiny :/
I guess I'll do shiny later when I check my SID
gonna do IVs then

Yes, you could try determining your delay by coin flips. I've had seeds where coin flips fail me and I have had to do a catch and use Seed Finder anyway, but you could try coin flips anyhow.

Again, I encourage you to actually hit your seed with a two stage timer. It's worth the extra soft resets to get the right pokemon on the right seed. Seriously, it makes no sense to go to that much effort for an adjacent delay.
Thanks for your help Riski... and I will try the two stage timer. The spread I was trying to hit would be well worth it... It is 31/31/31/31/22/29 [which is Steel 64]. I really do want to hit that so I am going to keep trying.

It is frame 8, which would be two page flips. The delay is 648 and I hit anywhere from 638 to 650 on average.

You pointed me enough in the right direction, and although I didn't hit the spread I was aiming for I did get one I am happy with.

I first "Generate More Times", then I set the seeds to + / - 10 on the delay, and +1 / -1 on seconds. Then when I checked the coin flip it said I landed on 653. I searched frames for a spread I liked, which I selected x/x/x/31/x/31 which was on frame 50. I used the journal 23 times and BINGO landed on it.

I plan to keep trying for the one I selected above, but if every time I soft-reset I manage to capture another Pokemon with Stats I happen to like I feel like it will be a bonus.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers!

Is there a list somewhere of all the things that advance/influence the frame? My earlier statement of the weird journal advancements has been proven false, and I'm running into the same even/odd frame flip flop that I had before.

Also, if anyone who is experienced in the mechanics behind RNGing would like to work with me in depth to figure this out I would appreciate it.

Edit: In Platinum.

Toast++

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Is there a list somewhere of all the things that advance/influence the frame? My earlier statement of the weird journal advancements has been proven false, and I'm running into the same even/odd frame flip flop that I had before.

Also, if anyone who is experienced in the mechanics behind RNGing would like to work with me in depth to figure this out I would appreciate it.

Edit: In Platinum.
I was just discussing this with someone earlier. As far as I know, there is no such list. I wish there were. Unfortunately with 4th gen coming to and end, I don't see anyone jumping up to make one either.

I think there is, considering that Gen IV Pokemon, by and large, don't appear in Unova.

Additionally, people are still doing RNG breeds and captures in Emerald, even though that's 'past its prime'.

Platinum will still be relevant even when Gen V comes out.

Gahagan: You're not the only person with that issue in DPPt. Almost everyone has this issue of this. NPCs in that town can randomly affect your frame advancements. There's more than one too...Just resave and try again on a different spread. It's a reason why most breeds are done now on HG/SS - much much easier with only one NPC.

Bakus: I'm aware, but I've done some breeds lately where the frame changes consistently between spreads. For example I'll use a spread with a target frame of 10 and I'll consistently hit 9 (3-4 hatched eggs in a row).

I'll switch to a spread with frame 9 as a target and I'll consistently hit 10.

I've done hatches where I've seen the roamers move, and they bump it all the way up to 17 or so, so I don't think it's NPCs causing the issue.

I just finished killing off all the roamers on my map and I'll see if the result is different. My understanding was that in Platinum, they always advance the frame by 1, but we'll see if it was something weird going on with them.

Haven't checked if this has been answered but click on the encounter slots button, when you (I think) right click your desired frame. It will link you to a site.

Say you're on Route 1 and frame that has the IV/Nature you want has a slot of 4. You look on the site and Route 1 shows that Route 1, slot 4 has Rattata. If you wanted Rattata, then proceed to RNG. If not, continue to the next available frame, and repeat the process.
I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean if my frame is 71, then my encounter slot must be 71 as well?

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think there is, considering that Gen IV Pokemon, by and large, don't appear in Unova.

Additionally, people are still doing RNG breeds and captures in Emerald, even though that's 'past its prime'.

Platinum will still be relevant even when Gen V comes out.
Yeah I guess if you're the kind of person who really likes playing the game there is always value in it.

Toast++

I'm not sure I understand. Does that mean if my frame is 71, then my encounter slot must be 71 as well?
You right click on the frame in the main window, and select the option that says calculate encounter slots. This will bring up window that tells you what the slot is for a specific frame using a specific encounter method. Clicking the hyperlinks below that will bring up a page in your browser. You look through the list to see where you want to catch (ctrl+f is a good idea here) and if the pokemon you want to catch is what you will run into at that time.

The encounter slot isn't the same thing as the frame.

Roomer

Still confused RNG Roomer, how many advanced frame to get my target

1. I want to RNG Raikou (w/ 2 another still run), my target seed (0f080462), target frame (Method 1: 44), skip 2 frame (2 roomer still run). How many more advanced frame i need to get my target (44)

2. Same condition like no. 1 (with 2 roomer still free) but now for latios target seed (d2140289), target frame (Method 1: 114), skip 2 frame. How many more advaced frame i must do ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 23)