Escavalier

Sub however lets Shubarago beat Jellyfish. It's really pathetic that it can't break Shubs sub with Boiling Water. Jellyfish is pretty overrated in it's defensive capabilities but whatever.
Actually I found this interesting, although I ran a non-LO Sub Esca (The recoil didn't do his defenses much justice imo) for a while I never got to face any Jelicent so did a quick calc.

Assuming your Esca runs a Adamant HP-156, Atk-252, S.Def-100 spread vs a Neutral 0 S.atk EV Jelicent he takes 20-24% from Boiling Water and +2 Megahorn w/ LO hits for a solid OHKO which backs you up. This is actually pretty damn cool since Jelicent never runs offensive EV's having to sacrifice everything for its bulk.

Though with that said, if you're going to run Sub/Swords Dance + Life Orb that recoil is going to wear you down quite fast so I think it really depends on whether your team allows for it I guess.

God the thing is slow but it is so destructive that it should be a staple (if it isn't already) on Trick Room teams. It's ridiculous that Dusclops and friends outspeed it. Still the extra power from Swords Dance (and being able to switch) is really good. With team support by Trick Room or Paralysis, it would mop the floor with people as it's pretty hard to kill barring fire moves.
Destructive is a appropiate enough description considering Megahorn is so bloody powerful that even at 2x resisted it will still always do more damage than a neutral Iron Head.

If you are really pressing for more moves, add in maybe the very rare and occasional Poison Jab or Faint attack, or perhaps even Reversal...
Faint Attack is illegal with Megahorn and Poison Jab is silly considering it has redundant coverage with Bug, Reversal with that speed is just...what.

Why not run Pursuit and/or Screech? Could be gimmicky but Screech could start switches, which Pursuit could take advantage of. Both are legal with Megahorn.

Shubarugo (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Toxic

I've been having great success with a Shubarugo that seems really stupid at first, but it performs very well. I tried using a 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD set with a Choice Band and made some calcs to see if it could still do the necessary damage back. The main reason I used this is because Latios walked all over me (Latios is a dick anyway and needs to be banned).

Toxic is the filler here since it can score surprise status on bulky waters and ground types that might be able to survive my onslaughts.

So what can the normal specs Latios (Timid & 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP) do to me?

Specs Latios Draco Meteor:
538 Atk vs 339 Def & 344 HP (140 Base Power): 119 - 141 (34.59% - 40.99%)

Specs Latios Surf:
538 Atk vs 339 Def & 344 HP (95 Base Power): 108 - 128 (31.40% - 37.21%)
Really impressive! Surf is doing at best a 3HKO on me, while DM will never kill me before I do because of the SpA drop. So either Latios is going to stay in and get Megahorned to death, or if he switches out, Pursuit will OHKO. Awesome! Here are the calcs (I accidentally used 306 instead of 307, but the result is the same):

Shubarugo CB Megahorn to 4HP Latios:
459 Atk vs 196 Def & 302 HP (120 Base Power): 606 - 714 (200.66% - 236.42%)

Shubarugo CB Pursuit to 4HP Latios:
459 Atk vs 196 Def & 302 HP (80 Base Power): 270 - 318 (89.40% - 105.30%)

Clean OHKO with SR support.
Next up is Rankurusu. I've never had any problems with this guy at all, but others have, so I guess I'll put up some calcs. I only used the CM version, as Shubarugo completely wrecks any TR version without question.

CB Shubarugo Megahorn to 252/252 Bold Rankurusu:
459 Atk vs 273 Def & 424 HP (120 Base Power): 434 - 512 (102.36% - 120.75%)

CB Shubarugo Pursuit to 252/252 Bold Rankurusu:
459 Atk vs 273 Def & 424 HP (80 Base Power): 192 - 228 (45.28% - 53.77%)
Megahorn is a clean OHKO, but sadly Pursuit does pretty terrible damage on the switch. Also, a +1 LO Focus Blast WILL 2HKO you with SR support, unless of course it misses. If you switch in on the CM, it shouldn't be a problem anyway as Rankurusu will be scared and switch out.

The thing I love about this guy is even though it's not a +atk nature and he has only 4 Atk EVs, he still does huge damage and gets the necessary OHKOs on Latios / Rankurusu. If Megahorn doesn't connect with Rankurusu (switched), it still makes huge dents in whatever comes in. I really think this guy could be a surprise OU hit, even though he doesn't have Superpower he has the moves needed to get his job done (basically Megahorn and Pursuit). A great tank that can dish out hefty damage. Even if Latios or Rankurusu aren't there to be countered, he has that great Bug/Steel typing and can find some switchins due to his good bulk. For example, Pursuit scores an OHKO on a switching Starmie, and Pursuit will OHKO Gengar without HP fire if he switches or not. In fact he makes an excellent ghost trapper overall (exceptions: dusclops, mr pringles). He's also pretty good on rain teams since it only gives him a x2 fire weak.

He also scores a very cool 2HKO on the 252 / 160 Def Nattorei that's going around at the moment, and he doesn't give a crap about thunder wave, gyro ball or power whip.

CB Shubarugo Megahorn vs Sassy 252 HP / 120 Def Nattorei:
459 Atk vs 352 Def & 328 HP (120 Base Power): 169 - 199 (51.52% - 60.67%)
Overall a very cool mon, give this guy some wish support and he can do some real damage even without any Atk EVs. I don't believe the SD set is even viable since his speed is terrible.

Faint Attack is illegal with Megahorn and Poison Jab is silly considering it has redundant coverage with Bug, Reversal with that speed is just...what.

Exactly my point though. They aren't good options, but its the only ones he has. Unless you count Rock Smash.

Rock smash is probably a better option than reversal, since reversal doesn't become more powerful until <36% HP. And the main thing that it would be using a fighting type move on it it has to catch on the switch (heatran), meaning it has to be healthy enough to force something out.

I disagree with that. What he needs to hit with fighting attacks (mainly heatran, is there much else that an 80BP reversal would do more damage on than a megahorn?) is generally the opponent's best counter for him and will be brought out the first times he comes out, when he is still high in HP.

Reversal could be used in conjunction with substitute though.

I don't think he's a good counter to Specs Latios. What sort of Specs Latios doesn't carry HP Fire? It requires out prediction.

Excellent check though.

Megahorn has 90BP against simple NVE enemies, being superior than 80BP Reversal.

Pokemon that have a combination of Flying/Steel/Fire/Fighting/Poison/Ghost are the ones you should be aiming for with your coverage moves.

Oh yeah, it's a fantastic check, no doubt, but I would say that Scizor acts as a far superior check. While not as defensive, it has CB U-Turn and Bullet Punch as well as Pursuit and generally keeps even more things in check.

I disagree with that. What he needs to hit with fighting attacks (mainly heatran, is there much else that an 80BP reversal would do more damage on than a megahorn?) is generally the opponent's best counter for him and will be brought out the first times he comes out, when he is still high in HP.

Reversal could be used in conjunction with substitute though.
You are not switching Shubarugo into Heatran, you are switching it into Stealth Rock and possibly a Shadow Ball/Psychic that does about 15%-20%, which combined with Stealth Rock puts you below 70%. Reversal is superior.

You are not switching Shubarugo into Heatran, you are switching it into Stealth Rock and possibly a Shadow Ball/Psychic that does about 15%-20%, which combined with Stealth Rock puts you below 70%. Reversal is superior.
Or a calm mind, in which case you're only at 87.5%. If they even have SR up (it is no longer an absolute standard on offensive teams). You can't guarantee being at below 70%, and it doesn't gain anything until you're below 36%. Shu isn't that bulky, considering you're putting half his evs and his nature towards attack, and more offensive pokemon can probably KO him at that point. And the only thing it's used for is Heatran. You're not surviving a hit from that and hitting back with a boosted reversal, unless they overpredict I guess...

If you would read, the statement was clearly about the CB version where it holds true.

Actually I found this interesting, although I ran a non-LO Sub Esca (The recoil didn't do his defenses much justice imo) for a while I never got to face any Jelicent so did a quick calc.

Assuming your Esca runs a Adamant HP-156, Atk-252, S.Def-100 spread vs a Neutral 0 S.atk EV Jelicent he takes 20-24% from Boiling Water and +2 Megahorn w/ LO hits for a solid OHKO which backs you up. This is actually pretty damn cool since Jelicent never runs offensive EV's having to sacrifice everything for its bulk.

Though with that said, if you're going to run Sub/Swords Dance + Life Orb that recoil is going to wear you down quite fast so I think it really depends on whether your team allows for it I guess.

/QUOTE]

I don't generally run Life Orb Shubargo (and I would not do that with a sub, it's excessive hp lost and Shubargo shouldn't be doing that anyway with his speed) and use Lefties to give additional recovery, change certain 2 hit koes into 3 (can't think of any in specific right now but I know there were some, quite probably in rain and otherwise) and to make up Subs. But your spread is just the tiniest more special defensive than what I was using before but it doesn't seem to make much difference (only slightly greater than 1% since I was using 224 hp/252 Atk/32 SDef). What was the def stat you were using for Burungeru? The only way a +2 Life Orb Megahorn can ohko is if it has min def but don't Burungeru (I think) run at least some physical defense or am I wrong? If most don't then that is WOW.

But with Leftovers, +2 Megahorn is always a 2 hit ko on Burungeru and they can never break your Sub with Boiling Water (and in sun, not even 2 hit ko the sub which does give some credence to sun being a potential ally since all fire attacks massacred Shubargo on contact anyhow and you could threaten Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Politoad with Shubargo's awesome power of death).

Or a calm mind, in which case you're only at 87.5%. If they even have SR up (it is no longer an absolute standard on offensive teams). You can't guarantee being at below 70%, and it doesn't gain anything until you're below 36%. Shu isn't that bulky, considering you're putting half his evs and his nature towards attack, and more offensive pokemon can probably KO him at that point. And the only thing it's used for is Heatran. You're not surviving a hit from that and hitting back with a boosted reversal, unless they overpredict I guess...
You could potentially survive being koed by Lava Plume in rain, sometimes even Flamethrower with the special defensive investment at full health although Fire Blasts always ohko you regardless (unless doing a really interesting max hp/max sdef thing) in rain. Heatran's with Life Orb generally kill you with at least Flamethrower even in Rain and defense investment (and have 40+% ohko with +SAtk nature even with max hp/max sdef but the fact that Shubargo has a chance to survive at all is impressive.). There is a chance to win with Rock Smash or Reversal in rain if you avoid Fire Blasts and Life Orb.

Why not run Pursuit and/or Screech? Could be gimmicky but Screech could start switches, which Pursuit could take advantage of. Both are legal with Megahorn.
See what you've done, Gamefreak? By giving this thing like a 3-move movepool, you've actually made Screech somewhat viable. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. I love this guy, but until it gets Superpower and/or priority, I can't justify using it over Scizor outside of taking on reuniclus

What was the def stat you were using for Burungeru? The only way a +2 Life Orb Megahorn can ohko is if it has min def but don't Burungeru (I think) run at least some physical defense or am I wrong? If most don't then that is WOW.
I did cheat abit and add in the Swarm boost but that was indeed a calc against the average fully defensive 252HP/252Def Jelicent but its still a pretty hardcore feat. However I too would choose Lefties recovery over LO though seeing after +2 SD Esca is still nailing a solid 2HKO with Megahorn even without Swarm boost.

This thing SpD make me love it. he can survive some thing Scizor cant with offensive spread. I mean he has beastly stats.

There is a thought I had. Since Shubarugo is the jousting Pokemon, if you pair him with a Rapidash in a double battle, you should be able to have Shubarugo ride Rapidash. Both still have their moves and count as one entitiy. They also get a move called Joust that instantly kills everything else.

Seriously, Game Freak, make it happen. I'm still in love with this thing's defenses.

Zebstrika or Scolipede would be more appropriate.

Or combine it with Flygon for ESCAVALIER THE DRAGON CHAMPION--*shot*

At any rate, the calculations are impressive. I'm itching to try it out now.

But Rapidash's flames burn it to hell and back. :<
There's always a saddle.

I can imagine Escavalier/Shubarugo riding on Daikenki for some reason because the former has its lances and the latter has its shell-horn and swords.

Back in competitiveness: despite Escavalier's shallow movepool, it can damage quite a lot, unless it's up against Heatran (when it's the only time it could use Rock Smash)

This guy is pretty cool, I'll be honest.

I used him for a while as a "slow wall destroyer" if that makes any sense.

I went with:

252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Def
Brave, 0 Speed IVs
@ Chesto Berry, Dustproof

Swords Dance
Megahorn
Iron Head
Rest

It works because many walls think they've got you if they've crippled you and almost no wall can 2HKO Shubarugo. As such, you SD, take a hit. Then rest as they hit you again and you're at full HP and +2 Attack.

Works better than it should, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)