Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max Speed Timid Jellicent with a Choice Scarf outspeeds the genies and speedties with Whimsicott. No Tailwind needed.
someone had to say it
Yeah, but that guy did not mention anything about a scarf. Did you just feel like saying that out of the blue or did you make the same mistake I did and not realize that his jellicent is NOT a scarf variant and requires tailwind.

EDIT: Scarf/Tailwind/Max timid jellicent outspeeds whimsicott by one point. He hits 369, whimsicott hits 368.

EDIT: In response to your edit, I said it already...

You hit 332 Max with tailwind and scarf. If you run into any enemy tailwind teams, I think anything with over base 95 or maybe even 90 will beat you with TW support. So if you cut on the speed EVs, you may run into some trouble. Whereas, if you run timid, you hit around 369, which is a nice, high number. Infact, running timid lets you outspeed things like terrakion and base111s with tailwind support. This allows you to hit thundurus before he T-bolts you. Wait, actually, by my calculations, this allows you to outspeed WHIMSICOTT by 1 point. I suggest now that you change the nature, seeing as that would allow you a HUGE boost in speed. You would be faster than a Tailwinded whimsicott.

EDIT: Oh hold on, I thought you had scarf. Actually, with a modest nature, 252 EVs, and tailwind, you hit 220.... definitely not as awesome as it would be if it was Tailwind with a scarf.....

You can't pick a target? I thought that was only for Outrage.

Anyway, I personally prefer Dragon Pulse, since switching is so hard in doubles and leaving in a crippled sweeper isn't a very good idea either.
Oh yeah lo forgot it was outrage xD okay thanks voodoo!

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, but that guy did not mention anything about a scarf. Did you just feel like saying that out of the blue or did you make the same mistake I did and not realize that his jellicent is NOT a scarf variant and requires tailwind.

EDIT: In response to your edit, I said it already...
Why would you put in white anyway? Striking it makes it easier to read if someone actually wanted to read it anyway. (and I didn't edit so?)

Also I put it there in case the person asking the question decided to use that, and so they'd know it's a viable choice for when Tailwind is not up.

Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse? I know its a debate power vs accuracy and how you can't pick a target. I wanna see what more people prefer?
Draco Meteor does let you pick a target. I tested both; Dragon Pulse is more consistent, especially if you use life orb (it feels like it's too lacking in power otherwise, unless it's a coverage move rather than your main attack), and what I went for in the actual VGC. Draco Meteor is decent (but not quite as good IMO) with white herb; the SpA drop is crippling, though, unless you're running a mixed set which can continue with physical attacks.

Why would you put in white anyway? Striking it makes it easier to read if someone actually wanted to read it anyway. (and I didn't edit so?)

Also I put it there in case the person asking the question decided to use that, and so they'd know it's a viable choice for when Tailwind is not up.
Hmmmm, thanks for the idea....

Kind of a bizarre question, but does anyone have a general idea for how long the VGCs have taken on average so far? Specifically Masters Division, as it has the greatest amount of players in it.

Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse? I know its a debate power vs accuracy and how you can't pick a target. I wanna see what more people prefer?
I prefer Draco Meteor to guarantee that OHKO on Haban Berry Haxorus with my Hydreigon. Non-haban berry Haxorus's are I believe OHKO'd by Dragon Pulse but I'm not taking any risks.

Doesn't matter as long as you get there in time.

I hate waiting in line though because I'm so impatient, lol. If you get there at like 11, you'll get to watch the Junior/Senior finals and still have time to get in the front of the line.

For Masters, I showed up at about 12:30, maybe even 12:45, but managed to get 258th in line. So, I guess you could come a little late in line, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Also, I have a question. Why is it that the VGC staff don't allow anyone in the line after 1:30? I remember I was in line, and these guys came at about 1:35, and he refused to let them in line, even though more people could participate.

For Masters, I showed up at about 12:30, maybe even 12:45, but managed to get 258th in line. So, I guess you could come a little late in line, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Also, I have a question. Why is it that the VGC staff don't allow anyone in the line after 1:30? I remember I was in line, and these guys came at about 1:35, and he refused to let them in line, even though more people could participate.
Well the rules are the rules. Someone could come 10 minutes after that and play a guilt trip, "you let those guys in, why can't you let us in?"

They have to follow their own rules.

Say I am 1st in line, lose, then get to the end of the line for a 2nd chance.
That would not be fair to the others.

I figured this was a better place to ask than in DT's general SQ/SA, so the question is: Why do so many people use Gems for VGC matches? Are Leftovers/Life Orb/etc. banned?

Because you can only use 1 of each item....
I use a Doubles/Triples team in GBU (nearly same rules) sometimes, and I never have to resort to Gems for hold-items.

Also, that's not what I was asking anyway. I know the rules, and there are enough viable items to use on a 6-Pokemon team.

Depends on the team. Some teams can get by using one each of the "better" items, but other teams might not have a place for things like Choice items or other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)