B&W Research Thread

Death Phenomeno:

For Knock Off, I already have that stated in my attack list:

"If this attack is successful, opponent's held item is consumed even if opponent has zero HP ..."

For Leech Seed, the Pokemon at the position the user had when Leech Seed was used heals HP, even if the opponent is not adjacent to that Pokemon. I know this from my own in-game testing:

"During effect, at the end of every round, if there is a Pokémon at the position the user had when this attack was used, opponent loses 1/8 of total HP, and the Pokémon at that position gains HP lost by opponent this way."

It doesn't read, for example:

"... if there is a Pokémon at the position the user had when this attack was used and opponent is adjacent to that Pokémon ..."

I'm not totally sure if this is the case, so someone can confirm this if possible, regarding un-EVing berries.

In Gen IV, if a pokemon has over 100 EVs in one stat - let's say 252 EVs in HP - then the first Pomeg berry will reduce the HP EVs to 100, and then reduces 10 HP EV for each additional Pomeg berry.

In Gen V, it seems to me that that might have changed, in that it reduces 10 HP EV regardless of how many EVs the pokemon has (as long as it does not get below 0 EVs, obviously).

It might just be that I was totally EV training my pokemon wrong for some reason, so I just want to ask for confirmation if that is the case for other people.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not totally sure if this is the case, so someone can confirm this if possible, regarding un-EVing berries.

In Gen IV, if a pokemon has over 100 EVs in one stat - let's say 252 EVs in HP - then the first Pomeg berry will reduce the HP EVs to 100, and then reduces 10 HP EV for each additional Pomeg berry.

In Gen V, it seems to me that that might have changed, in that it reduces 10 HP EV regardless of how many EVs the pokemon has (as long as it does not get below 0 EVs, obviously).

It might just be that I was totally EV training my pokemon wrong for some reason, so I just want to ask for confirmation if that is the case for other people.
It was changed, I can confirm this (I think it was confirmed before but don´t remember). Yes the berries are -10 and there´s no jump from 111-255 EVs to 100 with just one berry in this generation.

Ah cool, thanks. I just did not see it in the first post and thought it was strange that it was not there after all this time. That's why I thought I might just have done something wrong on my end.

I read through, but couldn't seem to find this: if something uses Soak on a Steel type and then poisons it, will the Poison go away if they revert back to a Steel typing?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I read through, but couldn't seem to find this: if something uses Soak on a Steel type and then poisons it, will the Poison go away if they revert back to a Steel typing?
No it won't; same thing if you poison a soaked Poison-type, or burn a soaked Fire-type.

im pretty sure this has been answered...

but if you soak a partially water type pokemon (i.e. tentacruel)
will it become mono-water so that u can poison it?

im pretty sure this has been answered...

but if you soak a partially water type pokemon (i.e. tentacruel)
will it become mono-water so that u can poison it?
I've used Soak to hit Water/Ground pokes with Electric moves, so yes, it will make anything pure Water.

Does soak have any competitive value?
In double or triples maybe, removing a type that your team has no coverage on or perhaps to remove a type weakness from a team-mate?

Alomomola learns it along with Azumarill And since Alo shines in multi-battles I'm guessing that you see it more there as Azu has more important things to be doing; like pwning bitches.

Shame Lanturn can't learn it.

I read the brief synopsis on gen 5 breeding, and it did not mention whether Power Item IVs count as one of the 3 different inherited IVs.

So like if I have one parent holding a power anklet, would only TWO other IVs be passed down instead of three? Or would 3 IVs be passed down IN ADDITION to the power item holder's speed IV?

I read the brief synopsis on gen 5 breeding, and it did not mention whether Power Item IVs count as one of the 3 different inherited IVs.

So like if I have one parent holding a power anklet, would only TWO other IVs be passed down instead of three? Or would 3 IVs be passed down IN ADDITION to the power item holder's speed IV?
It's always only 3 IVs passed down. If you have a power item it passes down the power item IV then 2 other IVs.

Ok for Cherrim's ability, Flower Gift, I am completely confused. Veekun is still vague on it, saying it powers up friendly pokemon (party pokemon)'s Attack and Special Defense by 1.5 in sun. How the hell does this work?

1) If sun is up, do all pokemon in your party have 1.5 att and sp def just if cherrim is in your party somewhere and hasnt even been sent out yet?

2) If sun is up, do all pokemon in your party get 1.5 att and sp def boosts only after you have sent out cherrim at least once?

3) Or does this only work in multi battles, affecting pokemon currently out on the field?

Also, does it affect cherrim? And does the effect of 1.5 att and sp def persist on the affected pokemon even if they switch out? Providing sun is still up.

Ok for Cherrim's ability, Flower Gift, I am completely confused. Veekun is still vague on it, saying it powers up friendly pokemon (party pokemon)'s Attack and Special Defense by 1.5 in sun. How the hell does this work?

1) If sun is up, do all pokemon in your party have 1.5 att and sp def just if cherrim is in your party somewhere and hasnt even been sent out yet?

2) If sun is up, do all pokemon in your party get 1.5 att and sp def boosts only after you have sent out cherrim at least once?

3) Or does this only work in multi battles, affecting pokemon currently out on the field?

Also, does it affect cherrim? And does the effect of 1.5 att and sp def persist on the affected pokemon even if they switch out? Providing sun is still up.
It's for double and triple battles only. As long as Cherrim is out and the sun is up, all your pokemon including Cherrim get a 50% Attack and Special Defense boost.

What happens if you Storm Throw/Frost Breath a Shell Armor Pokemon? Or if one of those is used under Lucky Chant?
Okay wait, why is everyone asking questions here now instead of the SQSA thread? But to answer this one, anything that prevents crits will still work against Storm Throw or Frost Breath.

Originally Posted by Fat Synre
I just "warned" a couple duders for that, so let's make this very clear: this is not a "make the researchers answer simple questions that I could find the answers to somewhere else / ask questions about things that almost /definitely identical to their gen 4 mechanics / ask questions that have been asked four times already because I'm too lazy to go find the answers myself" thread. At LEAST read the freaking original post...

Research is extremely important to what we do here at Smogon - we need this information to even really start theorizing about this game, let alone trying to make ideal teams or programming simulators. Stop shitting up this thread, if you have something that needs to be researched, great, post it, we need to consolidate what information we need to find. But for god's sake, stop asking stuff that doesn't belong in this thread.
Guys please read the OP some of these questions are easy to answer.

WinstonShnozwick, Zyrac:

Flower Gift also affects single battles and rotation battles.
Right, sorry, what I meant was that it can only power up your other pokemon in doubles and triples, since it won't do anything when Cherrim is inactive.

WinstonShnozwick, Zyrac:

Flower Gift also affects single battles and rotation battles.
I'm confused now, does this mean Flower Gift does affect Cherrim personally while the sun is up in singles? Could someone test this?

In response to Jaxx's quote, I apologize if this question shouldn't be asked here. But it really seemed vaguely described even on veekun.

I'm confused now, does this mean Flower Gift does affect Cherrim personally while the sun is up in singles? Could someone test this?

In response to Jaxx's quote, I apologize if this question shouldn't be asked here. But it really seemed vaguely described even on veekun.
Flower Gift always grants the bonus to Cherrim. In doubles and triples, while Cherrim is out, any other Pokemon you also have out also get the bonus.

WinstonShnozwick:

Yes, even the Cherrim with Flower Gift will be affected by that Ability, even in single battles and rotation battles. I tested this already. For what it's worth, my description for Flower Gift reads: "During Sunny Day, if bearer is a Cherrim ..., Attack and Special Defense of bearer and its allies are multiplied by 1.5." In general, Ability effects "apply only if the bearer is an active Pokémon and isn't rotated out."

I understand that the move Mist "does not block self induced stat drops, such as Overheat's Special Attack drop" (http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/mist), but just wondering if anyone has tested if that counts for Moody stat drops as well (after all, moves dropping stats and ability dropping stats might be handled differently)?

I would think the stats will still drop, but if no one tested it yet, I was going to try with a moody Smeargle.

Chinese Dood:

You are correct, Moody will still reduce the stat stages even during Mist, since Moody is not an Ability "by another Pokemon": My description for Mist reads, in part, "for each active Pokémon on the user's side, attacks and Abilities by other Pokémon can't reduce that Pokémon's stat stages."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)