Exploring the Glitchmon Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Simple only double the boosts when YOU have them specifically? I remember in Gen 4, Bibarel was a decent baton pass chain receiver because you didn't have to boost as many times. I.e, you SD to get to +2, pass to a Simple pokemon, and it doubles to +4, pass to a non-simple pokemon and it goes back to +2?

EDIT: Nvm, changed mechanics in Gen 5

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lots of sets, as I'll have significantly less time to contribute in the next few weeks:

Golem

Golem @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
IVs: 0 Spe
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 176 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- V-Create
- Sheer Cold / Spore
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock / Trick Room

Solid Sturdy Pokemon that walls the likes of Machoke and Ursaring. It's not especially powerful, but it has great physical defense, great defensive typing for streetmons, and Speed low enough to tie with Machoke in Trick Room. V-Create is its most powerful move, and will let it become even slower in TR. Bonemerang is superior to Earthquake in this case because you don't want things like Jirachi and Dugtrio to set ups subs on Golem for free. It'll also OHKO Magnezone through Sturdy, which is neat. Sheer Cold/Spore is for Machoke/Machamp. Spore has more use otherwise, but Sheer Cold is more reliable, as it is not susceptible to lum berry or magic coat. As Golem isn't going to sweep with this set, it may as well support. Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes all work. Trick Room is obviously a good option on a dedicated team.

The spread gives Golem a little power boost, which is necessary to ward off Dugtrio, and will come in handy in general. The level of Defense is already very impressive.

Giratina

Giratina @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute / Roar
- Protect / Earth Power

Stole this set from Snunch (sorry):

Giratina is viable in streetmons just because it walls so much stuff. Ursaring, Slaking, Kyogre, Groudon… the list goes on. Here I've maximised Defense, because this is what Giratina does best. You might want to consider a bit of Speed for the likes of Machamp, and other base 90s. Calm Mind provides Giratina with a way to boost its mediocre offensive stats. I've often swept a team merely with Dragon Pulse. Sub and Protect let Giratina stall out Sheer Cold from Machoke and Machamp, and then set up on them (especially if they try to use useless moves to conserve PP). Alternatively, with good support from sturdy pokemon, and a good source of residual damage, you can accept the loss to Machoke and Machamp, and run other moves, such as Roar. Earth power should provide good coverage with Dragon Pulse. Without sub and protect, you are better off with a lum berry.

Metagross

Metagross @ Lum Berry
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Shell Smash
- Zen Headbutt / Meteor Mash / Iron Head
- Power Whip
- Sacred Fire / Bonemerang / Earthquake

This is one of the most fearsome sweepers in streetmons, perhaps the most fearsome. Metagross has fantastic Attack and Defense, and resistance to priority. If you let it set up, you are unlikely to survive. Zen Headbutt is there mainly for Machoke, Metagross being one of very few physical setup sweepers able to OHKO it. Iron Head and Meteor Mash are great moves, but the metagame cannot really handle Metagross even without them. Sacrificing Metagross's best STAB for coverage is IMO the best option. If you want to use Iron Head use Jirachi. Power Whip destroys Kyogre, Golem, Rhydon and Groudon. Finally, the last move covers Steels. Sacred fire provides the best coverage, and great power in the sun, but if using Metagross in rain a Ground-type move is preferred. Watch out for Skarm though.

The EV spread lets Metagross outrun base 130s after a boost, maximises attack, and then focuses on bulk. SR support is recommended, as without Meteor Mash or sun-boosted Sacred Fire you need it to KO Ursaring.

Omastar

Omastar @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 56 HP / 36 Def / 252 SAtk / 164 Spd
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Shell Smash / Tail Glow / Quiver Dance
- Weather Ball / Surf
- Grass Knot
- Ice beam / Power Gem / Blue Flare

This is probably the best rain sweeper in streetmons, with passable Speed, Swift Swim, great Defense, great Special Attack, and great typing. Omastar resists Fake Out and ExtremeSpeed, and 4x resists V-Create, so Ursaring is not touching it. Speed lets Omastar outrun Dugtrio in the rain, Special Attack is maximised, then physical bulk. After a Shell Smash, it obviously outruns everything. Weather Ball is probably the best STAB move available. It brings flexibility, letting you continue sweeping even after Groudon comes in, but is not great if Tyranitar comes in. Grass Knot hits Kyogre and Groudon, and is therefore a staple. Finally, Ice Beam hits Giratina and the rare grass-types, Power Gem hits Fire-types in the sun, and Blue Flare wrecks everything in the sun. It's illegal with Quiver Dance though, so be warned.

The choice between boosting moves can be tricky. The main advantage of Shell Smash is to avoid being revenged by Groudon – you'll outrun it in the sun. Tail Glow and Quiver Dance are obviously preferable from a defensive standpoint.

Tangrowth

Tangrowth @ Lum Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Seed Flare / Energy Ball
- Blue Flare / Flamethrower
- Spore

Special sweeping Tangrowth. Very little is going to stand in this thing's way in the sun. Its great Defense lets it survive an assault from Ursaring, while it sweeps with its phenomenal Speed in the sun. Things tend to have low SpD in streetmons and this takes advantage. After a boost it OHKOes pretty much everything, except the rare Dragons and Fire-types. In fact, it doesn't even need its more powerful moves; these are really only there in case Tangrowth doesn't manage to set up. Obviously, Tangrowth struggles outside of the sun, where it is both slow and fairly weak. Kyogre isn't switching in directly, but may do so after a KO. Make sure to pack a good switchin.

Tangrowth @ Lum Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up / Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- V-Create
- Spore

Physical Tangrowth does pack a couple of advantages over the special version. V-Create is immensely powerful, and Tangrowth can get away with it thanks to great Speed (in sun), bulk, and boosting moves. Bulk Up offsets the defense drops, letting Tangrowth take on Ursaring, while Dragon Dance lets it negate the Speed drops, and makes it less vulnerable to the likes of Kyogre. I don't really recommend SD, but it does rip stuff up.

Heatran

Heatran@ Lum Berry / Air Balloon.
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Roar

Heatran is viable in streetmons despite not getting the glitch, largely due to its resistances, but it does face some competition from Chandelure. Heatran walls Ursaring completely, and will also wall some variants of Jirachi, Metagross, Slaking and Tangrowth. With Air Balloon, it can wall a lot more, but becomes very obviously vulnerable to sleep moves. In the sun, Fire Blast is the only attack worth using, ripping up almost everything in streetmons but Kyogrem, especially with a Flash Fire boost. Stealth rock provides vital support, and the remaining moves are largely filler. Roar prevents stuff like Dugtrio from setting up, and helps you to check sweepers that resist fire. Earth Power might hit another Heatran or Chandelure, but is, again, pretty much filler.

Oh, and DSM01 is absolutely right about Spikes skarm. That thing is truly scary, although I still like to run lots of Speed on it in order to get a Spore off. I think we have realised that Jirachi and Skarm play slightly different roles in a team. Skarm is more self-sufficient, but there is less that can stop jirachi by outrunning it. Jirachi is also much better alongside Toxic Spikes, due to Iron Head.

Have fun!

Simple Numel does not have access to the glitch, as Mimic is a gen 3 tutor move, and Simple is a gen 4 ability. I wouldn't expect that to work anyway.

Also, I think that guy is trying to claim that he thought up the strategy mentioned on the previous page, regarding the jirachi/skarm sets. I don't think he is suggesting using it in streetmons.

edit: I've got some logs to show how Jirachi (and skarm) work. Obviously I didn't play perfectly, throwing one away pointlessly at the end, but hopefully you should get an idea how it works, and how terrifying it is.

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-jc104-vs-Aurist--2011-09-27-private1868008231
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-jc104-vs-Aurist--2011-09-27
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Theorymon-vs-jc104--2011-09-26
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-jc104-vs-Toaster--2011-09-27
Dear god. That thing decimates.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this Magnezone to pretty good success. Well if you consider cleaning, sweeping a team after your whole team just died because of mistakes then that could also be said.

Magnezone @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spore
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance

Magnezone's speed tier is a wonderful place to utilize investment in, and unlike the other sets that Magnezone can use, it actually can take a Mach Punch from Ursaring. It can often come in on Machoke's last Trick Room turn send it to sleep set up a Quiver Dance, and start a "bulky" sweep (or just send something to sleep, quiver dance, sleep quiver dance, etc.). While it may be arguable that other things can do this better, Magnezone has two-distinct advantages over any other competitor for this role. Sturdy, and the ability to not be revenged by Ursaring, courtesy of it's steel-typing (you can also put STAB on bolt part of bolt beam but that doesnt help too much aside from assisting a KO on Ursaring). Magnezone's speed tier is perfect in this scenario since he is able to outspeed Scarf Machamp after 1 Quiver Dance. You could probably throw Substitute some where in there to troll other things but... that makes Magnezone lose out on a lot of coverage. Lum berry lets Magnezone evade a sleep and confusion from a Machoke in case he predicts the switch in, and Magnezone's Physical Bulk is often enough to take at least 1 Dynamic Punch from Machamp.

On the other hand, Shedinja can utilize hazards and has the bonus of setting up in the face of... uh stuff. PP stall the V-creates or any 8 pp fire move with recycle and lol as your opponent turns into hazard set-up bait. Want to force them to attack you? Spore from this ghost can annoy things to no end, to bad it didn't get 4 hp for 1 hp subs. Also walls shadow sneakless Ursaring!

What about Shuckle? He's got ridiculous bulk, sturdy, and can now set up his own Trick Room/Power Trick. Someone kinda/sorta touched on him earlier as a niche Machoke counter, but I think he has real potential as a late game cleaner.

Shuckle@Wide Lens(?)
Relaxed Nature, 252HP/252Def/4SpD ll 0 Spe IVs
Trick Room
Power Trick
Spore
Megahorn/Stone Edge

Thanks to Shuckle's ridiculous bulk and his ability, Sturdy, you're basically guaranteed to get off Spore. From there, you can Trick Room and Power Trick on the snoozing opponent, and sweep with your STAB move of choice. If you wanted, you could use Trick Room turn one, but then you only have two turns to abuse your blistering Speed. Another huge bonus to this set is how handily he counters Machoke, laughing at Sheer Cold and outspeeding in TR.

On the negative, you have serious four moveslot syndrome and only one attack, but with his raw power it may not matter mid-to-late game. Also, the set-up is a bit long.

The client is downloading right now. I cant wait! Has anyone ever considered Me First? Priority Sheer Colds and V-Creates can surprise opposing Machoke, etc.

The client is downloading right now. I cant wait! Has anyone ever considered Me First? Priority Sheer Colds and V-Creates can surprise opposing Machoke, etc.
I've actually used Me First with my Dugtrio, as a filler move. V-Create in teh sun hits HARD on Ursaring, never mind Duggy's below average attack. 180BP * sun boost (1.5) * Me First boost (1.5) = pain. And getting Machoke is also fun ;)

What about Shuckle? He's got ridiculous bulk, sturdy, and can now set up his own Trick Room/Power Trick. Someone kinda/sorta touched on him earlier as a niche Machoke counter, but I think he has real potential as a late game cleaner.

Shuckle@Wide Lens(?)
Relaxed Nature, 252HP/252Def/4SpD ll 0 Spe IVs
Trick Room
Power Trick
Spore
Megahorn/Stone Edge

Thanks to Shuckle's ridiculous bulk and his ability, Sturdy, you're basically guaranteed to get off Spore. From there, you can Trick Room and Power Trick on the snoozing opponent, and sweep with your STAB move of choice. If you wanted, you could use Trick Room turn one, but then you only have two turns to abuse your blistering Speed. Another huge bonus to this set is how handily he counters Machoke, laughing at Sheer Cold and outspeeding in TR.

On the negative, you have serious four moveslot syndrome and only one attack, but with his raw power it may not matter mid-to-late game. Also, the set-up is a bit long.
Power Trick doesn't exactly automatically turn you into a powerhouse.

Sure, a powerhouse with paper walls. Priority, which, by the way, is common, shits all over Shuckle after Power Trick.

Can't be bothered to check if my thunder was stolen already, and my old Pokemon Online teams have long been deleted sadly.

The Arceus that I had created, along with my Machamp were both very volatile and useful in Street.

Rockceus with Recover/Sub/Judgement/WoW did very well, max def, enough to outspeed max speed 90s, and rest in HP.

Machamp was a 252 HP/252 Speed set with Bonemerang/Shift Gear/Sheer Cold/Substitute, and it also did very well itself.

Sorry for the crappy format, I just have absolutely no time at the moment and will be checking in periodically to see how this thread progresses.

(And to think Tmon would post this the moment I didn't announce my unannounced hiatus... D: )

Nonetheless - it's very nice to see how this metagame has progressed and look forward to seeing it as a larger topic of discussion in the future!

whenever I try to play it, any double pokemon I have and any mimic moves aren't there, as if I was playing standard. what did I do wrong?

whenever I try to play it, any double pokemon I have and any mimic moves aren't there, as if I was playing standard. what did I do wrong?
You must be playing on the mimic server - Smogon's official server does not have the moves and clauses allowed... It would mess up the rest of the tiers otherwise.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh shoot the server was down, sorry about that! People, don't hesitate to PM me when that happens! Anyways Im gonna make a big post about the viable mons that I have been using lately, stay tuned!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You know, this really seems interesting, pokemon that didn't get much attention before seem to be getting more attention here. It really seems like a fun metagame.

Im gonna make a big post
Lol'd

Anywho...

@Stone Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Def / 124 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recover
- Will-o-Wisp / Cosmic Power
- Judgement
- Substitute

Rock Arceus, the best Arceus in street, has the ability to counter Ursaring like there's no tomorrow. If Ursaring isn't running Drain Punch with Flame Orb (Like SOMEONE used.) it is most likely not going to be breaking this Arceus any time soon, if it's running WoW over Cosmic Power that is. The thing about Rock Arceus is that it resists both V-Create and Extremespeed, giving most Ursaring very little to work with. Arceus also has the ability to burn through Lum berries (quite literally) with Will-o-Wisp, and being able to burn Groudon is a nice thing to have in many situations. Judgement is powerful STAB, hitting neutral on most everything not named Groudon or Magnezone, and is the best attacking choice for this slot from experience.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Remember that, in order for the glitch to be legal, your Pokemon normally needs to be level 5 or over. Mimic is normally only available as a gen 3 tutor move

@ Lum Berry Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Explosion
- Transform
- Skill Swap
- Sheer Cold

So far so good, more testing needs to be done.

Pretty much, Skill Swap can force switches, bringing you to use whichever of the other moves you feel necessary (Sheer Cold for "holyfuckidkwhattodo/Machoke/Machamp), Explosion to hit tons of things hard with STAB base 250 move, coming off of 356 attack, uninvested. 252 HP for maximum Transform HP, a 504 HP Aerodactyl with a coil under its belt is nothing to scoff at.

The main reason I'm posting this set is because I want other people to test it out. I have had success with it, but I'm waiting to see other people's reactions.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Why is the server dead? Is there a different server people are going to that I'm not aware of cause I'm hungry for some streetmon fights so I can post new sets in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)