OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Ok, thanks vertex.

In the early stages of BW, why did may people think that haxorus outclassed garchomp?
Haxorus had Dragon Dance at least to improve it Speed and Power too, and Garchomp only had Swords Danace, but now, Haxorus will be pathetic unless Kyurem-B leaves Ubers.

Eh, I would say Haxorus still has a few niches, mainly access to taunt and both Dragon Dance and Swords Dance at the same time, the lack of a stealth rock weakness is never a bad thing either.

From what I have read in early BW1, quite a few people thought haxorus might be broken, 2HKOing the big defensive wall of gen 4: Hippowdon. Once people actually started playing with it however, Garchomp's use was established to the point were we banned it (remember sand veil).

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
When is the ladder going to be reset?
If you're talking about the most recent ladder reset, it was actually due to Smogon's suspect test. New ladders are put up to start fresh and taken down after the suspect test has ended. However, if you're talking about the actual standard OU ladder, then it usually gets reset when the server needs to fix a few bugs or needs an update (which requires re-starting the server). It doesn't reset often

Ok, thanks vertex.

In the early stages of BW, why did may people think that haxorus outclassed garchomp?
I don't think people think that, Haxorus was overrated because of its OMG 147 base Attack, Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Outrage, EQ, Taunt and Mold Breaker.

However, it lacked Superpower and Aqua Tail because BW1 didn't have move tutors, it was "easy" walled by Steels not weak to Ground such as Scizor, Forretress, Ferrothorn and specially Skarmory(Haxorus might carry Taunt, but Forretress and Ferrothorn could hit Haxorus with Gyro Ball and Skarmory with Brave Bird)
Any Steel such as Heatran might check Haxorus with Air Balloon (which was common in early BW1)

Anyways, DD Haxorus might be checked or Revenge Killed by Scarfers such as Terrakion, Garchomp or Landorus with were also useful to check/RK Volcarona with Quiver Dance or by priority(Bullet Punch of Scizor)

Also Haxorus was rather fragile, specially by its Special Defense(is somewhat bulky for a sweeper by its Physical Defense but nothing to write about)

Garchomp was mainly used Scarfer because its 102 base Speed or SubstituteSandVeil hax.

I'm trying to make a Magnet Pull, Shadow Tag team (MagTag) with magnezone and gothitelle. What sweepers and support pokemon do you think work well in tandem? I'm trying to avoid weather just by personal preference and utilize volt-turn to trap foes easily. What do you guys think? A dragon is necessary. Any ideas for a bulky gothitelle moveset?

I have a few questions regarding Sheer Force Feraligatr and the ability itself. First off, has it been released yet, and if not, when do they plan on releasing it? Secondly, is it true that Sheer Force negates life orb recoil? And if so does it only negate life orb recoil on attacks when sheer force is activated, like waterfall, but not on attacks like aqua jet, which isn't influenced by Sheer Force? And finally, would superpower be affected by sheer force because it lowers the users defense and attack, or would that not apply?

Also I was looking at the conversation above and I was wondering what the differences between ACRE and Glicko are, because I'm pretty sure everyone's acre starts at 1007 but people were saying other stuff above

I'm trying to make a Magnet Pull, Shadow Tag team (MagTag) with magnezone and gothitelle. What sweepers and support pokemon do you think work well in tandem? I'm trying to avoid weather just by personal preference and utilize volt-turn to trap foes easily. What do you guys think? A dragon is necessary. Any ideas for a bulky gothitelle moveset?

Hm, you could use a Volt-Turn core of either Scizor/Rotom-W or Landorus-T/Rotom-W. Then if you want to use a Dragon type, Dragonite would work as you have Magnezone to trap Ferrothorn and other Steel Types that would stop Dragonite from sweeping.

As for Gothitelle the Bulkier set normally runs Calm Mind / Psyshock / Rest / HP Fire.

I have a few questions regarding Sheer Force Feraligatr and the ability itself. First off, has it been released yet, and if not, when do they plan on releasing it? Secondly, is it true that Sheer Force negates life orb recoil? And if so does it only negate life orb recoil on attacks when sheer force is activated, like waterfall, but not on attacks like aqua jet, which isn't influenced by Sheer Force? And finally, would superpower be affected by sheer force because it lowers the users defense and attack, or would that not apply?

Also I was looking at the conversation above and I was wondering what the differences between ACRE and Glicko are, because I'm pretty sure everyone's acre starts at 1007 but people were saying other stuff above
1. Yes, Sheer Force negates Life Orb recoil on moves that have a secondary effect.
2. In Feraligatr's case, Crunch (chance to get a defense drop), Waterfall (chance to flinch) and Ice Punch (chance to Freeze) are all Sheer Force boosted.
3. Aqua Jet would not be boosted as it does not have a secondary effect.
4. Superpower's effects are primary effects of the move so Sheer Force does not apply here.

ACRE start at 1000 on fresh alts on Pokemon Showdown.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm doing some research and I was wondering if there is a record or other easy way to find old smogon simulator stats. It doesn't necessarily have to be smogon stats either, I'm hoping to find some large sample sizes for gameplay across each generation if possible.

I'm doing some research and I was wondering if there is a record or other easy way to find old smogon simulator stats. It doesn't necessarily have to be smogon stats either, I'm hoping to find some large sample sizes for gameplay across each generation if possible.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pok%C3%A9metrics.114/

as far back as I know, you can find newer ones in the main metagames forum here as well, you also often find them if you click 'most views' as people often look at them a lot, this may help you find ones not in either of those locations

finally, Pokemon online has a database of their statistics, although as said, it is not smogon

I'm trying to build a rain team with Gyarados, but between Gyarados, Politoed, and a Keldeo for revenge killing, there's a huge electric weakness, and Ferrothorn can only do so much. Are there any other revenge killers that can lessen the electric weakness? I know that Latios is an option, but I'm not particularly fond of Scarf'd Latios (T-Tar bait, lol). Also, what other options for defensive Pokemon can I use?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to build a rain team with Gyarados, but between Gyarados, Politoed, and a Keldeo for revenge killing, there's a huge electric weakness, and Ferrothorn can only do so much. Are there any other revenge killers that can lessen the electric weakness? I know that Latios is an option, but I'm not particularly fond of Scarf'd Latios (T-Tar bait, lol). Also, what other options for defensive Pokemon can I use?

The first thing that jump to my mind is Thundurus-T. Ferrothorn and Thundurus-T should cover up your Electric weaknesses pretty nicely on a rain team. If you really wanna take it a step further you could add Celebi, Breloom, or Lati@s.

I don't know what kind of style your team is, but Chansey and Blissey cover most electric types pretty well and provide team support, while at the same time have their physical weaknesses checked by Ferrothorn and Gyarados. Idk if you team is hyper offensive though, just something to consider is it isn't.

So I've been a regular competetive pokemon player for the last year and a half, and I consider myself quite a decent player, and now I'm curious what I can do to contribute to Smogon after all that they've done to help me.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
So I've been a regular competetive pokemon player for the last year and a half, and I consider myself quite a decent player, and now I'm curious what I can do to contribute to Smogon after all that they've done to help me.

Well, with gen 6 coming out soon there's going to be a lot of new stuff in C&C. You can rate teams, make intelligent discussion in the forums, and help in suspect tests. Just a few ideas, but you don't necessary need to pay back (of course it's lovely that you'd like to contribute). If you contribute for long enough at a high standard, you can also earn badges (yay!).

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Writing Analysis, rating teams or making good posts in the Ubers, OU, UU, RU or NU forums are all good ways to contribute if you want to, but before you go out there and make tons of posts it would propably be best to lurk a little in the forums you plan on posting in and read the Rules to get a general understanding about what is expected from a post. For example if you want to contribute in the RMT section read a couple of posts from badged team raters to see how a proper rate should look like.
If you want to pursue getting a badge it would propably be best to concentrate your energy on one part of the forum first since it is more likely that your contibutions will be recognized by someone if you are especialy active in one area and people there get to know you.

When running HP fire Latios, what is the optimal ev spread? I heard that standard max speed and timid is not the best spread to run as you will still be slower than other latios and latias

You need a timid nature and 244 EV's in order to outspeed base 108's like Terrakion and Keldeo, so you might as well max out your speed stat to speed tie with other Lati@s and Gengars who carry HP fire.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry if I sound stupid saying this, but why isn't there any team with dual (or tripple) weather in OU like in uber?

Uhh...do you mean like teams that use multiple auto weather starters like Kyogre, Groudon or Tyranitar on one team or something? If that's what you're asking, then to answer your question, yes, it's possible, but it's not a great idea. Usually a weather team is centered around one weather to abuse it to its full potential, so having multiple weather starters will force you to devise multiple strategies to take advantage of both weathers. It's possible, but very hard to pull of successfully, and in a very offensive metagame like Ubers, failing to execute your strategy properly can result in you getting swept.

Uhh...do you mean like teams that use multiple auto weather starters like Kyogre, Groudon or Tyranitar on one team or something? If that's what you're asking, then to answer your question, yes, it's possible, but it's not a great idea. Usually a weather team is centered around one weather to abuse it to its full potential, so having multiple weather starters will force you to devise multiple strategies to take advantage of both weathers. It's possible, but very hard to pull of successfully, and in a very offensive metagame like Ubers, failing to execute your strategy properly can result in you getting swept.
That's not true.
Dual weather teams in Ubers are often build around the weather starters and not only around their abilities, because they are powerhouses on their own.
If Toed & Tales were actually useful for more than just drizzle and drought, they would probably fit on the same team as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)