OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Erm, I suggest you ask for help in the Q&A thread. Generally these small questions kinda clog up the OU forums, and I'm sure people will be more than willing to help you in the Q&A thread.

Have a nice day.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Erm, it has it's merits I guess? Nearly any Pokemon is viable as long as you can justify it's use on the team. For instance, Virizion could be used on a Sun team to help take on Sand and Rain teams. The only time a Pokemon isn't viable on a particular team is when it's completely outclassed by another Pokemon, or there's no real reason behind using it. An example of this would be using Pikachu over Jolteon on a rain team.

Huh.

In playing around with Honko's calculator, it seems that the current Amoonguss analysis may be off. Currently Amoonguss runs 28 special attack evs to break Keldeo's sub at +2 with Giga Drain. However, it appears this is only true for 4 HP Keldeo's, if that calc is run with the current 4 SpD Keldeo, the sub will not break 18% of the time. In order to fix this Amoonguss should run 1 more special attack ev.

The thing is... I have been in this exact situation with 28 special attack evs lots of times... and I have never failed to break it. I could be just lucky, but I have a feeling Honko's calc is a bit off, I know it has been so before. Anyone mind double checking. :)

The OU Viability Ranking thread gives you a rough introduction of what is good in OU and what you have to expect other players to use. This and the analysis pages (use search to search for specific Pokemon) should help you a bit with team building.

How to Battle and Win gives you insight in ... exactly what it says.

In general, for any forum, you should lurk a bit in the front page a bit when you try to get familiar with the matter at hand. It may prove useful.

Huh.

In playing around with Honko's calculator, it seems that the current Amoonguss analysis may be off. Currently Amoonguss runs 28 special attack evs to break Keldeo's sub at +2 with Giga Drain. However, it appears this is only true for 4 HP Keldeo's, if that calc is run with the current 4 SpD Keldeo, the sub will not break 18% of the time. In order to fix this Amoonguss should run 1 more special attack ev.

The thing is... I have been in this exact situation with 28 special attack evs lots of times... and I have never failed to break it. I could be just lucky, but I have a feeling Honko's calc is a bit off, I know it has been so before. Anyone mind double checking. :)
You actually see SubCM Keldeo on the ladder? I've never actually run into this before.

Anyways, I went ahead and calced the same thing into Honko's and it came back with a 93.5% chance to break the sub. Iunno man, maybe its just a combination of lazy EVs and a bit of luck that you haven't had this happen to you yet. Move those four EVs and make sure it never happens, I guess.

I can't remember where, but I've read a couple of times about some Toxic + Protect Bronzong set that a few people have found success with. I'm wondering what the full details of the set are? I tried searching the forum for it, but I didn't come up with many results. I would like to try the set out, so it'd be great to know what EV spreads, additional moves, etc. others have found to work on such a set.

Anyone have any idea when the new dates for suspect voting are? I've had reqs for a while now and now that smogon is back up again I'm not sure when we're voting.

Just starting battling today... Help.

Alright I just signed up then, I have been watching battling on youtube and what not for awhile and I have finally decided to try it out for myself, I thought starting in OU would be the easiest, But I have no idea how to start a team or what to do with it, If it isn't too much trouble could you list a team for beginners, just something simple that works. It would be greatly appreciated because I don't wanna spend all this time training for the team to be useless. Thanks :)
I recommend checking the Battling 101 Schedule and sign up for tutoring. I would also suggest reading the How to Battle and Win Guide for some basic battling tips. Then the OU Viablility Ranking to get a general idea of that is are the top threats in the tier. Lastly you can head over the #mentor IRC channel where you can talk to mentors and get help team building and any other help you might need.

As a new player you just need to play as much as you can, competitive pokemon is a game of experience. The written guides and videos you watch are nice but the best way to improve and learn is by doing.

Is belly drum+aqua jet legal on azumarill?

No it is not, it is impossible to breed the moves together on Azumarill.

There are some glitches that you can exploit in game, but they are not legal in the standard smogon metagame.

However, you can use it in the Glitchmons metagame, as Marill has Mimic.

Read more about these metagames here:
-http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/exploring-the-glitchmon-metagame.3454881/
-http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/streetpkmn-mimic-glitch-server-live.86519/

How do we hide things?
doesn't seem to work anymore.

2 options:
-use the code tag
Code:
like this, just press Code on the bar above your posts and insert the text you want from there
-use color transparency, for this change your text to any color, then press the BB code editor, and change the hexadecimal color code to 'transparent'

it comes out like this <- highlight to see

this is exactly what I put in to hide that

Code:
[COLOR=transparent]like this[/COLOR]

To be honest, I feel that defensive teams benefit more from entry hazards than offensive teams. Of course both types require the minimal Stealth Rock, but when you say "entry hazards" , I'm going to assume Spikes and Toxic Spikes support.
For offensive teams, Stealth Rock is seriously all they need, as it allows some critical 2HKOs and OHKOs to become a possibility. Spikes support is seriously just some extra icing on the cake. Offensive teams need momentum and unless they have that build of "offensive ER setter such as Custap Skarmory", Spikes will be hard to set as they don't get the chance to well and defensive non momentum grabbing Pokemon are a problem for offensive teams. Offensive play is just so outright damaging that Entry Hazards aren't super important to "weaken" the opposing team. I mean why spend time laying Spikes when you have a nuclear bomb in the form of Specs Latios sitting in the back?
However defensive teams on the other hand lack this innate power. They don't carry too many hard-hitting Pokemon and therefore find it hard to break down and wear down opposing teams. They seriously rely on hazards way more becaause ER hazards along with walling and stalling will contribute to around 80% of damage output, not kidding. Since they won't be spamming Specs Draco Meteor, they depend on the SR and 3 layers of spikes to do the job. Also thanks to the nature of defensive teams (I won't go into detail right now) , Entry Hazards just "fit and synergize" better with defensive teams compared to offensive teams.
TL;DR: Defensive teams like entry hazards and require it way more than offensive teams

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
What merits does specially defensive zapdos have over specially defensive latias on stall teams?

The first thing that comes to my mind is that it counters Scizor, and isn't Pursuit bait. I'm sure there are other reasons (e.g. higher special attack, a STAB thunder in rain, as well as running a great sub toxic set), but I think they are the biggest reasons. Of course, Zapdos and Latias should be tailored to what the specific team needs most.

What merits does specially defensive zapdos have over specially defensive latias on stall teams?

-Countering Swords Dance Scizor
-Checking Landorus arguably better (keeping rocks off the field for Zapdos vs pursuit bait / u-turn for Latias), same story for Landorus-T and Gliscor
-Checking Venusaur much better IMO with Heat Wave
-Threatening common Spikes Pokemon like Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory with Heat Wave and Thunderbolt respectively
-Putting immediate pressure on Pokemon like critical support Pokemon: Politoed, Jellicent, Tentacruel, and Starmie, also checks some versions of Gyarados
-Not Jirachi bait (with Roar Zapdos can even check CM-Jirachi)
-Is an ok Gengar check

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion

Zapdos has a few niches which make it worth being placed onto a stall team in OU. Countering Tornadus ( which is actually a pretty big problem for teams, its still very useful ), while still remaining able to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn and other steels harder than any Latias could. Zapdos makes an ideal partner for SandStall due to its ability to stop some set-up sweepers in their tracks ( like SD Scizor ). Zapdos is not a better Landorus-I counter really, as the Stealth Rock weakness and naturally low SDef puts it in an unfavorable position. A predicted HP Ice can do a heavy amount of damage to Zapdos, especially for Modest versions when factoring in Stealth Rock. Zapdos unlike Latias cannot outspeed Landorus most of the time, meaning it has to be played a lot more carefully, but it does have benefits such as not as easily being Pursuit trapped by the likes of Tyranitar. Zapdos also does very well against Jirachi ( although Ice Punch is very dangerous ), and can be a very beneficial presence as a shuffler and reliable check to other weather threats.

I got into competitive pokemon around may 29 and having a blast. I just wanted to post this replay I just got through. I'm pretty proud about it. I know I did some stupid shit,but for the most part I did "ok". Advice will be nice!

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-38798985
There a few things I'd like to suggest to your Sun team, since that's the main playstyle I like to do. You should run a Dugtrio or Gothitelle to help win the weather wars. Dugtrio is useful mainly against Tyranitar and Offensive Politoed, while Gothitelle is useful for Politoed and Hippowdon. It depends which one you have more trouble with. And also, 3 Chlorophyll is a little two much, aeh? Try to fit in some support for those 2 Chlorophyll users, preferably Exxegutor and Sawsbuck, like Spikes + Spinblocker. Support is always nice to prevent threats from steamrolling your team. Welcome to Smogon!

There a few things I'd like to suggest to your Sun team, since that's the main playstyle I like to do. You should run a Dugtrio or Gothitelle to help win the weather wars. Dugtrio is useful mainly against Tyranitar and Offensive Politoed, while Gothitelle is useful for Politoed and Hippowdon. It depends which one you have more trouble with. And also, 3 Chlorophyll is a little two much, aeh? Try to fit in some support for those 2 Chlorophyll users, preferably Exxegutor and Sawsbuck, like Spikes + Spinblocker. Support is always nice to prevent threats from steamrolling your team. Welcome to Smogon!
What Evs and moves do you suggest for Gothitelle and which pokemon should I remove? I'm sorry for not knowing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)