OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

I have a glicko2 of 2107+-73 on the ou current ladder with a ratio of 34w/3l. If I start forfeiting matches, will I make reqs?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi! New to OU. I was just wondering is there any reason to use Donphan at all? And was Virzion OU at one point? Thanks.

While Donphan isn't the greatest Pokemon, there are a few reasons to use it. First, it provides a decent check to Terrakion, as well as both Rapid Spin and Stealth Rock at it's disposal. It's generally seen on Sun teams, since it's Water weakness is reduced, and most Spinners aren't that effective in Sun (Starmie has it's STAB water attacks weakened, Tentecruel's STAB is also weakened, and shares similar typing to Venusaur, and Forretress' x4 fire weakness is doubled).

Yes, Virizion was OU at one point. It's main niche was being able to handle both Sand and Rain teams relatively well, whilst also being quite diverse. It also really handled Volt-Turn pretty well, which was very common in BW1.

Hope that clears things up, and welcome to OU!

Hi! New to OU. I was just wondering is there any reason to use Donphan at all? And was Virzion OU at one point? Thanks.
Donphan has the niche of being able to spin, set up rocks, all while being an ok physically defensive Pokemon with priority. If you need all that for a Pokemon, consider it, however, on most teams Tentacruel, Forretress, or Starmie are superior options.

Virizion was OU for most of BW, only dropping to UU towards the end of BW1, mainly because Tornadus-T and Keldeo pretty much ruined it's niche against rain.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Virizion is also really good in this current metagame, actually. It checks Landorus pretty easily and isn't Pursuit weak, tearing apart Tyranitar + Keldeo + Landorus pretty handily (need to be a bit careful around Keldeo though, since Secret Sword hurts you pretty badly)

Virizion is also really good in this current metagame, actually. It checks Landorus pretty easily and isn't Pursuit weak, tearing apart Tyranitar + Keldeo + Landorus pretty handily (need to be a bit careful around Keldeo though, since Secret Sword hurts you pretty badly)
huh, not a bad idea at all. CM Virizion can boost up and recover on Landorus without a too much of an issue, and obviously it kills Tyranitar without a problem if Focus Blast hits. Tyranitar and Keldeo can still punish if Virizion messes up, though, since CBTar Superpower is an OHKO and Specs Keldeo Secret Sword damn near OHKOs (maxes out at 99%). Still, this is a decent solution to that core. Might try it out again some time.

I don't know if this counts as a simple question but is Spikes support really that crucial? I've never actually found spikes all that necessary, and i usually only set up stealth rock out of all the entry hazards, but i want to know in what situations or how useful is it to have both stealth rock and spikes support as opposed to just stealth rock. I find using a turn just to set up a mere layer of spikes too... idk. Inefficient and slow.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Probably not, there would be much less a point of wearing things down consistently. They would still be useful, but stall would probably be impossible to pull off. You would probably just go all out, it would just no be worth it if it were only restricted to 3 Pokemon.

I almost made a large post about this but then realized it might work here.

Is there a standard metagame people refer to or are supposed to refer to in the OU forum (and other forums, I suppose)? Obviously it's the OU metagame, but which one? The tournament metagame? The ladder metagame? An aggregate of the two? Your elementary school's OU metagame? Something else?

I thought of this question after reading viability ranking threads often. After all viability ranking is really only relevant with respect to the metagame. If literally everyone runs Snorlax, for example, Chandelure probably isn't going to be as viable (talking about UU because that's what I know best). If everyone runs Dark-type weak teams, Dark-types become more viable. The problem is that this is really different based on the metagame. Tournament players might run Weavile weak teams a lot, for example, but maybe most ladder teams aren't weak to it at all. Adopting a standard is incredibly important for these activities to make sense.

The explanation could be a bit convoluted, but what I'm most interested in is the second paragraph I wrote.

I almost made a large post about this but then realized it might work here.

Is there a standard metagame people refer to or are supposed to refer to in the OU forum (and other forums, I suppose)? Obviously it's the OU metagame, but which one? The tournament metagame? The ladder metagame? An aggregate of the two? Your elementary school's OU metagame? Something else?

I thought of this question after reading viability ranking threads often. After all viability ranking is really only relevant with respect to the metagame. If literally everyone runs Snorlax, for example, Chandelure probably isn't going to be as viable (talking about UU because that's what I know best). If everyone runs Dark-type weak teams, Dark-types become more viable. The problem is that this is really different based on the metagame. Tournament players might run Weavile weak teams a lot, for example, but maybe most ladder teams aren't weak to it at all. Adopting a standard is incredibly important for these activities to make sense.

The explanation could be a bit convoluted, but what I'm most interested in is the second paragraph I wrote.
I would say a combination of the two...You would obviously see higher level play in tournaments as compared to the ladder. I would consider tournament play to be the actual "test" of the metagame and ladder to be like practice or club play if you will.

Is marowak viable in ou on a trick room team, as with thick club it's attack stat is really high or are any other pokemon better than it on a Trick room team.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is marowak viable in ou on a trick room team, as with thick club it's attack stat is really high or are any other pokemon better than it on a Trick room team.
It is definitely usable and on certain levels very underrated Tr sweeper, but it's just too inconsistent in OU. without trick room it's as good as garbage and even with TR it falls to common priority like Ice shard and Aqua Jet and Scizor also 2HKOes with Bullet Punch.

A pokemon like LO Sheer Force Trick Room Conkeldurr is like a way superior option, if you're looking for a Trick room Sweeper. It has Recoil-less boosted pseudo bolt-beam coverage with a healing STAB and a priority to pick of weak threats. Coupled with some Excellent bulk and STRONG attacking stats.

Say for trick room... something like

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 116 SpDef / 0 Spd
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature (+Atk/-Spe)
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It is definitely usable and on certain levels very underrated Tr sweeper, but it's just too inconsistent in OU. without trick room it's as good as garbage and even with TR it falls to common priority like Ice shard and Aqua Jet and Scizor also 2HKOes with Bullet Punch.

A pokemon like LO Sheer Force Trick Room Conkeldurr is like a way superior option, if you're looking for a Trick room Sweeper. It has Recoil-less boosted pseudo bolt-beam coverage with a healing STAB and a priority to pick of weak threats.

Say for trick room... something like

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 116 SpDef / 0 Spd
IVs: 0 Spd
Brave Nature (+Atk/-Spe)
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
I think you made a bit of a typo. Make sure that you change it's ability to Sheer Force instead of Technician.

EDIT: Ninja!

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
any way to make reuniclus viable? the calm mind variant, no trick room shit. like just slamming him onto the lando-keld-ttar core with 2 other members (which)?

and a more general question, how do you decide on the filler for the above mentioned core? is there something that is believed to be the best fillers right now against the commonly used teams?
Reuniclus is a very viable Pokemon. It's respectable bulk, reliable recovery, and most importantly Magic Guard, make it out to be a great Pokemon. However, if you plan to sweep with the CM set, a good way to support Reuniclus is with Paralysis support, as Reuniclus is very slow, and the lucky free turn can be very helpful.

You don't necessary need to use a Lando - Keldeo - Ttar core, since Lando will most likely be banned soon because it's a current suspect, but you could easily fit Reuniclus into this kinda team, as it has very good synergy with Tyranitar, and Keldeo (Keldeo is a solid check to Scizor and Tyranitar, which are Reuniclus' biggest counters, while Tyranitar takes on Ghost types that rain on Reuniclus' parade).

I've actually used the Lando - Keldeo - Tyranitar core before, and I believe it also featured a Latios, as it has great synergy with Keldeo and Tyranitar. I also used Terrakion to set up SR, as it gains a SpDef boost in the sand, and I used Scizor. This was/is generally the most popular fillers I see on this team.

Anyway, I hope that all made sense, and good luck making a successful team with Reuniclus.

I'm going to try posting this in the right thread this time :X

What are some Pokemon that go well with Yache Berry Dragon Dance Salamence? And what can I do on my team to prevent rain teams from nerfing Salamence's Fire Blast?

What are some Pokemon that go well with Yache Berry Dragon Dance Salamence? And what can I do on my team to prevent rain teams from nerfing Salamence's Fire Blast?
1. You need to beat pokemon that have Ice Shard, so Mamoswine is one and Scarfers that have HP Ice. So Scizor, Starmie, Keldeo, Rotom-W all work.

2. Try using sand or using Sun to boost Fire Blast instead.

I am starting to build my Salamence team, so I'll give you me my advice through personal exp. I suggest you ditch Yach Berry for either Lum Berry or Dragon Gem. The former is useful for healing Confusion and he latter helps jump start the Moxie effect. Anyways' team up port should take care of Mamoswine. I would Starmie is a god teammate with Salamence. It can take out any revenge killer aimed at Salamence bar Terrakion and Latios. Scizor is alo a good teammate as it resists revenge killing moves aimed at Salmence and provide a two way sweep. The first is DD and a foolish attempt at a revenge kill leads to a switch to Scizor causing a Swords Dance sweep. Rotom-w is also good since it can T-wave scarfers. Speaking of that, Tyrànitar does the same thing with a support set nd Blisset too who can pass wishes. Magnezone too o eliminate steels. Basically take advantage of scarfers and mamoswine trying to revenge kill you.

Reuniclus is a very viable Pokemon. It's respectable bulk, reliable recovery, and most importantly Magic Guard, make it out to be a great Pokemon. However, if you plan to sweep with the CM set, a good way to support Reuniclus is with Paralysis support, as Reuniclus is very slow, and the lucky free turn can be very helpful.

You don't necessary need to use a Lando - Keldeo - Ttar core, since Lando will most likely be banned soon because it's a current suspect, but you could easily fit Reuniclus into this kinda team, as it has very good synergy with Tyranitar, and Keldeo (Keldeo is a solid check to Scizor and Tyranitar, which are Reuniclus' biggest counters, while Tyranitar takes on Ghost types that rain on Reuniclus' parade).

I've actually used the Lando - Keldeo - Tyranitar core before, and I believe it also featured a Latios, as it has great synergy with Keldeo and Tyranitar. I also used Terrakion to set up SR, as it gains a SpDef boost in the sand, and I used Scizor. This was/is generally the most popular fillers I see on this team.

Anyway, I hope that all made sense, and good luck making a successful team with Reuniclus.
So latios and scizor are considered the best fillers? Can I use an acrobatics scizor and if so whats the exact set since it's not on site?

Just starting battling today... Help.

Alright I just signed up then, I have been watching battling on youtube and what not for awhile and I have finally decided to try it out for myself, I thought starting in OU would be the easiest, But I have no idea how to start a team or what to do with it, If it isn't too much trouble could you list a team for beginners, just something simple that works. It would be greatly appreciated because I don't wanna spend all this time training for the team to be useless. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)