Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Day 5: What is your favorite Pokémon and why?

Arcanine because it has been around since gen 1, it's very good in-game which lacks fire-type pokemon and has a cool design.

Blaziken, hands down. I've been playing the games since Gen 1 but I just love Gen 3's design. I didn't watch the anime too much by that point, so you can imagine my surprise when I saw what Torchic turned into. I love its offensive typing (new and unique on its release), stats, its general look, its cry - literally everything about it, and I'm super excited that it stands as one of the premiere Megas. This pokemon can do no wrong in my eyes.

Uuuuh hard question this time! I'm not particularly attached to any pokémon "in the emotional sense" so my favorites are mostly influenced by their design.
The best probably is Giratina-O: how much is he cool? I mean, look at those claw-shaped wings, the golden carapace and his sinuous and regal shape...just wow!
Honorable mentions (in pokédex order):
- good overall design: Scyther, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Infernape, Lucario, Togekiss, Cofagrigus, Archeops, Volcarona
- pure beauty: Gardevoir, Milotic, Froslass, Mienshao
- bonus point for the concept: Shedinja

Such a hard question, but i guess its Mudkip, cos that was the first Pokemon i got in a game :3. And its so cute as well.

My favorite Pokemon? Look at my avatar and username. Lucario, obviously, because of awesome design, awesome stats, awesome concept, presence in SSBB, and just the fact that it's a fighting-type that's not overly jacked.

Second would probably be Sceptile, because it's the first Pokemon I ever raised to level 100, and back then it was a major accomplishment because in Gen 3 there's no grinding spots apart from E4, and no join avenue. (Is this the third time I've mentioned it in this thread? Wow, I need to get some new material :P)

Honorable mentions go to (in no particular order) Riolu, Mienshao, Gallade, Froslass, Yanmega, Zoroark, Lugia, Mew, Raikou, Salamence, Flygon, Breloom, and the Porygon line.

Last edited:
ok imma post my top 3 because the cops have nothin on me

lucario- it's just all around awesome. it's an cool character in brawl, it has its own movie (and probably second to only the third in terms of how good it is), it has a bunch of cool/viable moves to pick from and my first lucario garnered me some attention back in grade school. i played for a while the day diamond/pearl came out and offered something dumb on the gts, wanting a lucario after registering it in my pokedex with melene's fight, when lo and behold some japanese dude took me up on that offer. i was the talk of the playground until i loaned it to someone when i got a replacement riolu egg. some kids had charizard, i had lucario. also i carry around a lucario plush in my cargo pocket at vgc events so people will recognize me :)

blaziken- i like chickens (click the guy in my sig ;)), and ever since i was watching saturday morning cartoons, i always kinda liked characters that could kick really hard. it was also my very first pokemon on a game i didn't have to share with my sister, but unfortunately i lost my first blaziken because of various reasons. it also was on one of those GBA videos where it trashed ash's charizard which we all knew was super powerful from previous episodes (i only saw a few of them, but it was enough to get the idea of how strong zard supposedly was), so blaziken is just an all around cool mon.

chandelure- litwick was my first ever rng'd pokemon. gone were the days when i begged or bred for hours for vgc mons, (people weren't as generous as they are now in vgc10 or 09) and it all started with a shiny litwick. i named her janice, which is coincidentally the name of that one woman that hangs out with chandler in friends, which is super neat considering it was just something i picked out of thin air. i subsequently EV trained her, and she quickly became part of my first competitive VGC team that i actually tested beforehand and later in vgc12, she was part of my first nationals team and i managed to top cut with her by my side. can't say i care much for the design either way, but i just <3 my janice :) . also it's super easy to draw so thats a plus

other mons on my top 10 are gallade, latios, scrafty, jirachi, togekiss, crobat and roserade

e: lucariomaster2 is a man with good taste

Last edited:
It's a tie between Typhlosion and Mewtwo. Typhlosion was my first ever Pokémon and we had such fond memories in Silver. He's also why Fire is my favorite Type. Mewtwo is my favorite legendary and was the first Pokémon I successfully RNG'd. I also won my first competitive battle with Mewtwo. Both to me are awesome.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 2: The first shiny I ever found was a Tangela in FireRed. I remember being so overjoyed at seeing one of my favorite Pokemon in a perfectly lovely shade of green... and then discovering when I checked my bag that I'd used my last ball on that Tentacruel I'd caught two minutes before that. Nearly threw my Game Boy across the room. The first shiny I managed to catch was a Ditto in Emerald - I named it CC (for "cabon copy"). CC died, so to speak, when my Diamond glitched up and I lost my save file. The first shiny I caught who's currently alive is a Paras I caught while I was EV-training something or other in Soulsilver. I've since found a bunch of things while I was EV-training, plus a Stunfisk with a perfect nature for competitive use.

Day 3: I honestly don't remember. Completing the Pokedex hasn't been a big deal to me since Emerald.

Day 4: The first Pokemon I raised to LV100 was the Sceptile from my first Emerald run. He, too, died when Diamond glitched out.

Day 5: Grovyle. Definitely Grovyle. I've loved reptiles since before I can remember (if the stories are true), so a cross between a gecko and a Velociraptor was guaranteed to be awesome in my mind. it's also got a very pleasant color scheme, and Leaf Blade has got to be the coolest attack in existence. What pushes Grovyle ahead of the next contender (Galvantula) is its eyes - in every incarnation I've ever seen, Grovyle's eyes have looked genuinely intelligent, and that's a huge draw for me.

First level 100 legit? Because I always level up my glitch/cheat rare candies!
I don't have one I guess, but if Rare Candy's count, I think it was Lugia.

Favorite Pokémon? I don't have JUST ONE, I go by generation.
Gen 1: Charizard...nuff said...not good enough?
Okay...the episode where Charmeleon evolved into Charizard and fought Aerodactyl LIKE A BOSS. More?
Magmar vs. Charizard Gym Battle. EVEN MORE? GEEZ...Dragonite (Iris) vs. Charizard...OK NO MORE...GOD!
Runner Up: Mewtwo

Gen 2: Lugia: Ever since I saw Pokemon the Movie: 2000 I fell in love with this majestic creature. Then Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness just sweetened the deal even better by giving it another alternative form (shiny was second) and to this day he is still my gen 2 favorite.
Runner Up: Celebi

Gen 3: Shedinja: the ability...TO THIS DAY ignorant people STILL don't know about it. Heck I was playing Showdown just last week and this guy after I beat his Alakazam with it switched into Keldeo INSTEAD of his Infernape. He then went for Hydro and saw that it did nothing then went for Secret Sword and I was like...DUDE DON'T YOU READ? He then disconnected. I'm like...REALLY? Meh but stupid stuff aside, Shedinja is such a boss and nothing outside of hacking can even get this ability!
Runner up: Castform

Gen 4: Rotom: I was one of those people that LOVED Rotom even BEFORE he was standard. Hell Ghost AND ELECTRIC!??! YES PLEASE!! And he has an awesome design! I used him in almost ALL of my teams because no one else seemed to use him or though he was good, but I never gave up. AND THEN PLATINUM HAPPENED! HOLY SHIT! Everyone and their mom wanted Rotom, it was CRAZY! If I were to pick a form besides the original though I would choose Fan Rotom...which I love to nickname Phantom (OMG SO CLEVER) and the reason is because it isn't all that great competitively while all the other formes are near perfect. Second would be Heat and then the rest. Heat because Electric/Fire was like a perfect combo that I wish more Pokémon had.
Runner up: Yanmega

Gen 5: Just look at my Avatar...do I REALLY need to explain this? REALLY?
ugh okay fine...just like with Shedinja...the ability. OMG when this thing got revealed on Pokémon Sunday (a.k.a Pokémon Smash) and it's data was also...I fell in love. A Pokémon with the power to make illusions and have them seem real was just so fascinating to me. Then the movie came out. I WAS DONE! HOLY SHIT the movie made it seem SOOOOOOO GUUUUUD but the competitive aspect revealed the truth. Hey at least it's UU :p
I still love it to this day and will never change my choice this gen, but I WILL say that Serperior came DANGEROUSLY close.
Runner Up: Serperior

Gen 6: so far design wise, I'm love Mega Mewtwo Y, but ehh...we'll see because I also am in love with Honedge.
We'll see...

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Ok this is gonna be an essay guys, all gens here ya go:

Kanto:

- Gengar: the entire design is just so loveable, funny and cool imo. A little stout ghost that is grinning all the time, and making fun of evrything, it almost reminds me of myself, since i used to not take anything seriously as well :] Also, the creepyness i later learned about, namely him being the shadow of a clefairy, and that it cools everything, just made me love gengar more, prolly on my top 3 favorite pokes.
- Arcanine: I guess this is largely because i never liked charizard in the first place, but also, i fell in love with its sprite in FierRed, and training the little Growlithe all the way till Sevii SIlands where it turned into this giant majestic dog.
- Pikachu: being hipster is 2 mainstream.
- Dragonite: ever heard of being an adorable badass? thats what he is, but lance, i fell in love with it when lance raped me with 3 of this guys, later on id go and rape him for a. revenge b. he totally hacked

Johto (from here on it gets long):
- Scizor: i love red (i guess thats why Red is my favorite dex holder, tho, whose isnt?) and scizor's battle pose and design seemed appealing af to me cuz of how he had METAL PINCERS. #btchesluvmetalpincers
- Typhlosion: its whole evolutionary line is top-notch design, yet so simple, starting from the little cyndaquil all the way to a giant enraged...idk what it is rofl, that hasd a ring of fire in his neck. Holy. Crap.
- Kingdra: simple design, and just all it needs to be appealing imo, an underwater dragon that is an arrogant ashole is kawau desu cool.
- Ho-Oh: i have no explanation for this one, he just is in my favorites because of similar reasons to arcanine, he's majestic, he's big, and he's pretty damn colorful too.

Hoenn:
- Blaziken: Chuck Norris got turned into pokemon here imo. Also, Mayand Sapphire's representative pokemon so that automatically makes it cool.
- Sceptile: here the anime plays more of a role, im pretty sure im not the only one who needed a sceptile when they saw ash's trecko's badassery.
- Salamence: pseudo legendaries have always been my thing, this guy deserves a spot because he (along with chomp) were my first ones, when i didnt even know what it meant. Also, the dex entry of how bagon achieved his dream of flying was appealing to me.
- Latias: she's just cute, and adorable, i h8 her in the anime since she blatantly goes against Advanceshipping tho.

Sinnoh:
- Empoleon: my first starter to ever reach level 100 and he is a ***** penguin, i love penguins, i also love the word emperor, which i always realted with him.
- Gallade: justice bringer all the way, the blades it has seems liek he can go through anything like who gives a ****, and the contrast between him and kirlia is cool as well.
- Lucario: training my riolu since it was just an egg played a huge role on this one, but also the fact that he controls aura, supposedly life energy = 2mchepicness.
- Gible/archomp: all time favorite pokes by a longshot, the former is simply adorable and the latter raped the crap out of the 8th gym, elite four, and victory road in Platnum, terrific design, just fitting to the violent nature dragons are supposed to have, and Cynthia gives him even more points.
- Darkrai: read pikachu
- Dialga; cuz diamonds are cool as that, he raped the shit outta palkia in the movie, and he **** controls time.

Unova:
- Volcarona: flame moths all the way, can you believe i actually trained this thing in BW1 starting from the egg? I regret nothing.
- Hydreigon: #3heads
- Keldeo: here competitive scene comes into play, because i was one of the first ones to actually use keldeo succesfully. Also, he's a pony, im a brony, nuf said.

EDIT; forgot to mention Shaymin and Skymin, the former for being absolutely adorable, not to mention likeable in the movie, and the latter for being badass, not to mention the entire theme around its abilites are really cool.

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My earliest memory that was profound was evolving my first Pokemon - my Totodile in Crystal - to Feraligatr. I was amazed at how awesome it looked.

My very first non-Gyarados shiny was a Pidgey in Crystal - I traded it to my Yellow version to train up since I already had a normal Pidgeot at >L70, but then my Yellow's save file died. My second shiny was a Lotad I found in Emerald, and my next one was (ironically) a Gyarados I fished out of Four Island in Leafgreen. I thought it was cool since it was like the return of the red Gyarados from Crystal...I ended up using that thing in the Battle Frontier and I got the Silver Symbol from the Palace Maven using him despite it having terrible IVs and not being EV trained. :P

I also got a shiny Gastly while doing a nuzlocke of Diamond. It was Rash and had good IVs, so I trained it to Gengar and took it all the way to the champ. ^_^

Some time later I also got a shiny Zubat in Gold, which was pretty neat.

I got around 200 in Crystal, I have the means to get them all bar Celebi but I've never had the energy to do it.

My Feraligatr in Crystal. Slash/Cut/Bite/Hydro Pump was the best moveset! Suicune gets an honorable mention since I got it to level 98. My second level 100 was my Blaziken in Ruby, and Groudon followed shortly after.

Ho-Oh:

I was training Togepi in Crystal and it had just learned Metronome. The very first move it called was Sacred Fire and it straight up ruined the Metapod it was fighting. I was so amazed by how strong the move was that I had to find the Pokemon that learned it. It turned out to be Ho-Oh, and I was instantly hooked out how super strong and awesome it was. Sadly, I couldn't get it in Crystal because I accidentally killed Raikou with my overpowered Feraligatr. But that made me want it more. :[

I finally got my wish when Colosseum came out. I bought the strategy guide and saw that Ho-Oh was obtainable...I rushed through the story mode and sent my Emerald team (Sceptile/Blaziken/Swampert/Skarmory/Gardevoir/and the Lugia from Pokemon XD...I waited until then because I didn't think at the time I could beat Mt. Battle without a legendary since the last guy had Kyogre and all my other legends were overleveled since I did the challenge at L60...) to use in Mt. Battle. I was so happy when I beat Mt. Battle and received Ho-Oh that I immediately dropped my Earthquake and Shadow Ball TMs onto it and trained it to Level 100. I then started another Colosseum file on a different memory card just to get another Ho-Oh. I was so proud of myself when I finally got it.

I still remember exactly how that final battle on Mt. Battle went. :3

Favorite? Wartortle. Dude is my bro. I don't know why, but I have loved his design so much from day one.

First to level 100? Blastoise. (Not a coincidence)

First shiny? Machop in Pearl, after playing pokemon for 11 years from the very beginning. I hit it in like 2009 or something. I have hit like three since then (Zubat, Ponyta, and Purrloin. And you haven't experienced finding a shiny until you have seen a Ponyta show up with its flames colored blue, probably the coolest looking shiny to encounter.)

Favourite Pokemon of all time is and always will be Charizard. If Pokemon it'd be everything a teenage boy could want. A cute lizard who evolves into a badass dragon-lizard who breathes fire. I always loved fire types and Zard is just amazing. A close second is Typhlosion. I love me some non-fire/fighting starters

Day 5: Toxicroak (surprise surprise). He is just so cool looking, He has two of my favorite types, and he is competitively useful but not centralizing.

This one is going to be a bit of a doozy for some people...

25 days left!
I have two answers.

Favorite Pokémon overall:
Celebi; can't really explain this aside from the fact that it's pretty neat for an event legendary (design-wise). :P

Favorite non-starter, non-legendary:
Sandslash; at first, I wasn't amazed by its design, but now, its simple-yet-awesome design appeals to me.

Bull of Heaven

Back when I first got a look at "all" 151 Pokemon, the ones that really stood out to me were Gastly, Haunter and Gengar. I think I probably liked the idea of the Ghost type more than the actual Pokemon, but of course they were the only Ghost-types back then. I quickly identified Haunter as my favourite of the three because for some reason I thought the disembodied hands were really cool. Okay, let's be honest here: they still are. I don't love the Ghost type as much as I used to anymore (it's now "one of my favourites" instead of the clear winner), but to this day I still consider Haunter my favourite Pokemon. While I have sometimes made a point of using Haunter in-game, I don't have any particularly notable memories associated with it, but that doesn't matter because I loved its design all those years ago and still love it today.

Edit: Oh, fast special attackers are also cool. Seriously, for reasons that aren't remotely competitive, I like special attackers more than physical ones. It was part of why I picked Reshiram over Zekrom when buying first buying a 5th gen game. Anyway, I wasn't paying any attention to stats when I was first picking my favourite Pokemon, but I quite like Haunter's stat spread now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This one is going to be a bit of a doozy for some people...

25 days left!
This is getting very surreal considering it IS only 25 days... It's going to be odd seeing this counter tick down and down and down until we are there :o

My favourite Pokemon? Shuckle. Without a doubt. Something about it appeals to me. It's not huggable or cool looking and no one else seems to like him. This was cemented during Gen 3 on Netbattle where I was messing around with a Defence Curl + Rollout Shuckle... It KO'd a Tyranitar and a Skarmory. When it game to Gen 5, a friend of mine dared me to train him. So I did.

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=detail&uid=1359461 And this is said Shuckle. I did laugh pretty hard when Ghetsis' Hydreigon could not even 2HKO with Surf... While I just sat there used toxic and proceeded to stall him out. I even bought a set of booster packs back in Uni purely because it had a Shuckle card guaranteed in the set. All of Shuckle's artwork is cool. I just wish there was more of it.

My all time favourite is Metagross with huge bonus points for the shiny variety. I'm not entirely sure why exactly this supercharged super computer has gotten its spot as my number 1 but it has. I can still vaguely remember fighting Champion Steven for the first time in Ruby though as well as my response to seeing Metagross the first time: what is that that, and how do I get one?!

Gardevoir is my favorite. It has a really cool design, its powerful, I like how protects its trainer at all costs. I've always liked psychic types the best. In Emerald my Gardevoir was awesome it was definitely the MVP. It destroyed all the gym leaders and the elite 4

My Favourite have to be Bisharp, Bisharp and Bisharp.
Mostly it's because the design reminds me of Kamen Riders and Super Sentai, but after I've used him in my White team I realised how incredibly good he is, and just loved him even more.
Honorable mentions: Reuniclus, Excadrill and Accelgor

Also, 25 days left? If only I have a 3DS...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)