Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like a lot of the things the anime did (concept-wise, not necessarily execution), but "spoken cries" isn't among them. It's cute for a few species and explains some of the ones which keep their names in all languages, but if every single one does it, it's kind of annoying.
Totally, totally agree with this. One thing that should be kept in mind, I think, is that the anime is based on the games, not the other way around. I really haven't liked anything the games have taken from the anime and wish Game Freak would just totally ignore it. That said, I get why they do it—the anime is popular in many countries, and they believe they can make more money by capitalizing on it (which seems to be true, so far).

I'm mixed on changing the cries of older pokes. On one hand, I love the nostalgia, and it makes sense to some extent that the cries should sound exactly the same (as the Pokemon themselves haven't changed). But on the other hand, the only reason the older cries sounded the way they did was because of limited technology at the time, so it makes sense for them to want to update them to sound more natural. So I don't really care what they do regarding that.

Yeah... I like the more animalistic/abstract cries we have now. I can almost forgive it in Pikachu though. Despite the anime drawing from the games, Pikachu has become its own entity in the pokemon universe and really should be a universal constant throughout the media. If it goes "Pikachu" in the anime, and goes "Pikachu"in the advertisements, and goes "Pikachu"in the manga and comics, then gosh darn it the iconic little devil shouldn't be saying "ppoowaguhccc!" in the games.

I think they should have al least make some pokémon able to talk. Pokédex entries says that Gardevoir, Latias and I think Lapras are able to talk human speech. So, Wynaut?

They understand human speech. They can't speak.

I'm glad this feature didn't make it into the game. Pokemon are animals. They don't hold deep intellectual conversations, they blast fire out of their mouths.
To be fair, Slowking and a few legendaries have been shown to speak human languages in the anime. That being said however, i agree that wild Pokemon in the games shouldn't be talking to me in battle.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be fair, Slowking and a few legendaries have been shown to speak human languages in the anime. That being said however, i agree that wild Pokemon in the games shouldn't be talking to me in battle.
Anime continuity and game continuity are not the same. Just because the anime does something doesn't mean its true in the games, or for "Pokémon Lore" as a whole. In fact, the anime frequently contradicts the games, as seen on these Bulbapedia pages:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Differences_between_the_games_and_anime
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Size_discrepancies_in_the_Pokémon_anime
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Anime_move_errors

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tive-how-pokemon-x-and-y-refreshes-the-series

Another article/interview with masuda that also gives insights into some of the things in the first hour or two of the game. Namely things like how Caterpie & Pidgey are in the first routes (also Pikachu, Psyduck), how we seem to get the Kanto starters not too far after the first gym.
Also the story themes will differ slightly between versions.

They understand human speech. They can't speak.

I'm glad this feature didn't make it into the game. Pokemon are animals. They don't hold deep intellectual conversations, they blast fire out of their mouths.
No, they do can speak, at least Gardevoir and Latias are said to be able to communicate telephatically. Pokémon may be wild animals, but how does it make sense that some of them have insane IQs, can understand our language and use telephaty but still can't communicate with us?

Seeing as Pikachu's cry has changed to it actually saying its name, I wonder if some day the rest of the Pokémon will follow. Probably not this generation, but I'd wager we'll see more "spoken cries" in a few games (starting with 'mons such as the starters, old favourites like Jigglypuff and the like) and some generic squeaks, ka-caws, growls and roars for many other Pokémon. Alternative Pokémon sounds would probably co-exist with the current cries for a while, before all old cries are eventually replaced with more realistic sounds. Though, this could take a decade or so, and even then it could be tested in spin-offs before making it to the "official" series.
I read in an interview that all of the cries have been changed in this generation, and if you listen closely to the gameplay videos, you can tell. While the cries mostly stay very close to the originals (with the exception of Pikachu's), they've all been remastered to match the sound quality with Gen VI. Which is a relief for me, because I found the difference between different generation's cries quite jarring in-game.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
For the curious, OiawesomeDG and I spent a few hours trying to set up a format with the new type chart, retconned Fairies, and theorymon moves on his PS server. The moves are currently not functioning properly, but the Fairy type appears to be working perfectly. There's a thread for it in Other Metagames.

I'm only posting it here as a notification - try not to discuss it much here.

Reactions: PME
How many more gens after X and Y do you think there'll be? I'm kinda hoping it ends after X and Y, because there will be so many pokemon, and could just do remakes. However, I also want it to continue cause Pokemon is the best!

PS 20 days until X and Y!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tive-how-pokemon-x-and-y-refreshes-the-series

Another article/interview with masuda that also gives insights into some of the things in the first hour or two of the game. Namely things like how Caterpie & Pidgey are in the first routes (also Pikachu, Psyduck), how we seem to get the Kanto starters not too far after the first gym.
Pardon me if old, but is it general knowledge that the professor's name is Augustine Sycamore? Rather than just a simple Professor Sycamore?

While on the topic of fossils. Man, I wish they had the places where you could mine for stuff like in diamond and pearl.... That was super sick!
That was my favorite feature of those games. A lot of hours were spent setting that place up and inviting my friends over to enter my maze of a base. I was always sad when it didn't come back and I couldn't goof off/mine for items.

"The main difference we want people to focus on is the legendary Pokémon on the box of the game," he said. "But there are also differences in how the story plays - a couple of different themes between the games, and different Pokémon available in each game." Which in particular? He wasn't saying.
More than ever, Nintendo is remaining secretive about the final number of critters in the game"

This part is really exciting, similar to how Ruby & Sapphire played out.
I really hope all the legendary Pokemon are totally different depending on what game you get. It will bring back the value in trading.

Talking pokemon will come. Just like Munna and Dream World came, so shall too talking pokemon.

As a side note, I think it'd be pretty cool if Sky Uppercut got changed so that it hit Flying types for SE :D
Well, it already does hit FLYing Pokemon, right? As in, Pokemon that are using the move Fly? I think that's enough of a perk for the move. It can reach the flying Pokemon, unlike the majority of moves during that turn, but it doesn't necessarily make sense for it to be super effective.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I swear, I'm waiting for game freak to crap on the idea that fairy will be a good typing by making absolute shitmons for it, also, HP Fairy never 4get

Well, it already does hit FLYing Pokemon, right? As in, Pokemon that are using the move Fly? I think that's enough of a perk for the move. It can reach the flying Pokemon, unlike the majority of moves during that turn, but it doesn't necessarily make sense for it to be super effective.
Agreed. It's not like flying needs to have more things weak to it, or fighting needs more things it's good against.

I just realized another good thing about Horde Battle design: previously, the single-player game has strongly favored frail speedster sweepers, meaning I don't take moderate to weak hitting tanky-types very often. The Horde battle, instead, favors sturdy attackers with powerful multitarget moves or walls that can slowly pick them off one-by-one.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Sky Uppercut working that way. It already hits flying/bouncing pokemon for neutral, so let's make it just hit all flying types double. Idk but a base 85 power move is much easier to handle than 120, and would give certain fighting types that have it a niche.

I swear, I'm waiting for game freak to crap on the idea that fairy will be a good typing by making absolute shitmons for it, also, HP Fairy never 4get
Well, there is at least 1 Box legendary and an Eeveelution that're probably going to be Uber and OU (assuming no better fairy types) respectively. I expect we'll also have a legendary trio as well, or at least a pseudo-legend.

As far as HP Fairy is concerned, I expect there's going to be a complete revamp of the Hidden Power calculations, which is going to be really frustrating for some of the in-game competitive players.

I like the idea of Sky Uppercut working that way. It already hits flying/bouncing pokemon for neutral, so let's make it just hit all flying types double. Idk but a base 85 power move is much easier to handle than 120, and would give certain fighting types that have it a niche.
Wait, you're saying it always does 1x damage to bouncing pokes?

I don't think that people are so busy that they can't find the time to go back to a specific route when it inevitably becomes night in-game. As for the seasons you could just wait or they could also speed up the passing of the seasons a little.(I liked how you could access certain areas only in a specific season).
I for one do not like to sacrifice good features for the sake of convenience but I kinda see your point.Perhaps they could implement a means to fast forward the time in-game without messing with the clock like for instance you could go to your room(your house in the game) and click on your bed and sleep. When you wake up it could be night outside.
Yes But in my case, I am a divorced Father and my son and I play pokemon together, if he want to lets say evolve an Eevee into Umbreon he cannot do it because the 3DS is in my house and he sleeps in his mother's house (she do not alow him to play videogames). Most of the times i cannot play with him because i come home late or he leaves early, or he has homework to do so i am not being able to change the clock of the 3DS so he can have his pokemon. I am glad that they took some of the day/night mechanics away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)