Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does it always stay on the field until you spin it or does it wear away after one trap? I've heard a lot of buzz about this move and I wonder if we really know enough about it to assume it's a gamechanger.

Disregard this as fact as I do not own the game and have obviously not put this theory to test, but in my "opinion" it would be a reasonable assumption that most everything that can learn String Shot can somehow get Sticky Web seeing as the concept behind the two moved are the same.

Notice it's called Sticky Web and not spider web. Just as electro web ended up being distributed amongst other bugs, so might this. Both involve silk being produced and both have a speed lowering effect.

Also, something to note would be String shot's boost this gen to "sharply lowers" as it may imply they changed it as it was too similar to another move, making string shot still viable for those who want to use it (in the eyes of gamefreak)...

Anywho that's just my take on it from observing the game all these years and how it's progressed. Take it as you will. But the way I see it, Ariados and Galvantula will be doing a lot of breeding this gen

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This move is incredible.

Once you use it, you have a Speed advantage against an entire team. I cannot stress how useful that is. Imagine being unable to to check with powerful threats with faster Pokemon (IE: You can't use Latios to check Garchomp anymore).

Forget Ariados, this move single-handily makes Smeargle super viable in standard play. I hope Galvantula gets it.

Smeargle is never passing geomancy.

Focus sash and protect exist. Granted so does priority so it depends on the opponent but it is very possible to geomancy on turn 1 (assuming you aren't using spore) and then protect, spiky shield or kings shield turn 2, followed by baton pass. Just thinking out loud

Edit: but on the topic of Sticky Web, this could very well be meta game changing as if it has a distribution akin to what I think it will, and it is essentially a bug-exclusive move and a new hazard, then bug types will be much more common on OU teams other than just Scizor and Volcarona. This could change how team structures are formed as you will have to take into account your opponents sticky webber

Last edited:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Focus sash and protect exist. Granted so does priority so it depends on the opponent but it is very possible to geomancy on turn 1 (assuming you aren't using spore) and then protect, spiky shield or kings shield turn 2, followed by baton pass. Just thinking out loud
Geomancy does not work like that. In short, it's like Solarbeam, so Smeargle/Xerneas will remain inactive for a turn.

Anyways that's off topic. I, for one, can't wait to see how much this helps offensive teams. Of course, Sticky Web manages to become popular, and if both opponents use Sticky Web, the whole Speed advantage thing is pretty moot.

Geomancy does not work like that. In short, it's like Solarbeam, so Smeargle/Xerneas will remain inactive for a turn.
Seems I misread the mechanics of it as I was under the false impression it was more like future sight or wish. With what you just stated, I'd have to agree that power herb on smeargle is suicide to an extent with the grass type buff, but that would depend on how prevalent grass types really become this gen. Too early to tell.

And if Sticky Web does become popular maybe Unaware and Trick Room will also rise in popularity, as well as Defiant and Competitive as has stated previously. So many questions that only time can answer

can anyone confirm that the web is permanent on the field or it is just 1-use skill?

I feel like this move is just a one-use skill !LOL

Would Drapion get much use out of the attack, though? I seem to remember his best aspect being his massive attack.

More interesting to me is if the newly-obtaining-Speed Boost Scolopede gets it.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
for a straightforward HO aficando like me, this sounds like a Huge pain in the ass.

A mechanics question:

When a Pokémon switches in after being passed Reflect, Light Screen or Tailwind, there's no immediate +1 stat boost, they're just still 'under the effects of Reflect/Light Screen/Tailwind'. Does Sticky Web actually work like an instant String Shot upon switch-in or is it a sort of passive thing like those three moves? That might change whether Defiant/Competitive actually activate.

Also, Clear Body may or may not stop it.

Also also, BPing a Substitute may or may not stop it.

You get my drift.

Has anyone tried breeding Ariados with certain bug types or former bug types to see if they learn it? Like Drapion.
I don't have much to breed with but I can at least confirm that Shelmet and Dwebble don't get it as an egg move from Ariados.

edit: did more breeding, Paras and Venipede don't get it either.

If it wasn't already obvious it's a single-stack entry hazard that lowers Speed by 1 stage and doesn't affect flying Pokemon. I don't have a spinner but there's no reason to think its any different from other hazards.

The only other Pokemon in Ariados' egg group that can learn egg moves are Venomoth, Pinsir, Ledian, Yanmega, Forretress, Gliscor, Shuckle, Heracross, Masquerain, Ninjask/Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Flygon, Drapion, Leavanny, Escavalier, Galvantula, Durant, Volcarona and possibly Vivillion if it doesn't follow the trend of caterpillars not getting egg moves. Out of those, the only ones that seem likely to get it are Forretress, Galvantula and Shuckle, and even then it's a bit of a stretch, so we're probably looking at Electroweb-tier distribution.

At least Ariados finally has a niche!

Last edited:
I don't have much to breed with but I can at least confirm that Shelmet and Dwebble don't get it as an egg move from Ariados.

edit: did more breeding, Paras and Venipede don't get it either.

*snip*

If it wasn't already obvious it's a single-stack entry hazard that lowers Speed by 1 stage and doesn't affect flying Pokemon. I don't have a spinner but there's no reason to think its any different from other hazards.

The only other Pokemon in Ariados' egg group that can learn egg moves are Venomoth, Pinsir, Ledian, Yanmega, Forretress, Gliscor, Shuckle, Heracross, Masquerain, Ninjask/Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Flygon, Drapion, Leavanny, Escavalier, Galvantula, Durant, Volcarona and possibly Vivillion if it doesn't follow the trend of caterpillars not getting egg moves. Out of those, the only ones that seem likely to get it are Forretress, Galvantula and Shuckle, and even then it's a bit of a stretch, so we're probably looking at Electroweb-tier distribution.

At least Ariados finally has a niche!
Gliscor, and Drapion? Can anyone check if either of these Pokemon gets it?

I see no reason why offensive Pokemon like Flygon, Heracross, and Gliscor wouldn't be great users of this, it would be akin to Terrakion having Stealth Rock.

That said, I am doubting they get it, keep up the good breeding work azureAngelic.

Last edited:
Are you using a male or female ariados to breed? Rumor is that females pass moves through breeding now?? I could be wrong though?

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've heard multiple people saying that this will help Trick Room teams, but as a TR player, I'd have to disagree with that. The entire point is to be outsped by the opponent, and being at -1 speed isn't really going to change anything for stuff like Reuniclus and Conkeldurr. Victini could benefit as it starts at base 100 speed before spamming V-Creates, but in most cases it would be outsped by almost any offensive threat.

The main problem that Trick Room teams would have with this is that they often rely on fast late-game sweepers to clean up after your TR setters have been weakened/killed too much. Being able to finish off the opponent with something like Scarf MoxieMence or SD Lucario is how you get a lot of wins, since the rest of the team can't survive forever. If Sticky Web is up, cleaning with these mons becomes a lot more difficult as they have more trouble outspeeding weakened opponents. I can't say that I'll be using a spinner on any TR teams just for this, but it can add a LOT of pressure to keep things like Porygon2 and Reuniclus healthy so they can last late-game.

With new stuff like Aegislash, Trevenant, and Mega Gengar, I figure that spinning is going to be a lot harder this generation, so if Sticky Web gets good distribution, I'm betting that most offense vs offense matches will just end up having this on both sides of the field. It really doesn't seem any less mandatory than Stealth Rock.

Nope, Pineco doesn't get it from breeding either. Though I did check the move rememberer while I was waiting for the egg to hatch, and Forretress learns Heavy Slam, Zap Cannon and Magnet Rise at level 0 as well as 60/64/70 respectively, if it's any consolation.

Are you using a male or female ariados to breed? Rumor is that females pass moves through breeding now?? I could be wrong though?
Ariados is the father, level 59 with Psychic, Poison Jab, Cross Poison and Sticky Web. It learns Stick Web at 58, but the ones in Victory Road are 59 so it doesn't matter too much. If anybody wants to try for themselves, fly to the Pokemon League and go backwards through Victory Road, past the cave lake you have to Surf over and outside, then keep going until you're back indoors. There's a medium-sized open area down a few stairs just above where you come in, above the purple-haired guy, and shadows appear in the middle of that area with Ariados and Graveller in them. The shadow respawns when you enter/exit, too.

A mechanics question:

When a Pokémon switches in after being passed Reflect, Light Screen or Tailwind, there's no immediate +1 stat boost, they're just still 'under the effects of Reflect/Light Screen/Tailwind'. Does Sticky Web actually work like an instant String Shot upon switch-in or is it a sort of passive thing like those three moves? That might change whether Defiant/Competitive actually activate.
I can't test it specifically, but when the wild Ariados used it and I switched out, my Blastoise came in, I got a "Blastoise is caught in a sticky web!" message, then the blue stat-drop effect and "Blastoise's speed fell!", so it seems like an auto-String Shot rather than some sort of passive effect.

can anyone confirm that the web is permanent on the field or it is just 1-use skill?

I feel like this move is just a one-use skill !LOL
It's permanent. I started the wild Ariados fight with Malimar, it used Sticky Web, I switched in Blastoise, Blastoise's speed dropped, I switched in Florges, Florges' speed dropped, I switched in Talonflame, no effect.

It's looking more and more like it's Ariados and possibly Galvantula only, I'm going to see if I can get an electrospidur off the GTS and try it.

edit: Actually it's still possible Forretress learns it by level-up, but I don't have the patience to grind this thing into the 50s-60s to try it D:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It would be a nightmare if something like Forretress could learn it

Everybody would be running Forretress & anti Forretress Pokemon for total speed dominance. I take back what I said about wanting Galvantula to get this move, only a few Pokemon should get a move this game changing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)