Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
You have firm faith that both those pokemon will receive extensive coverage?
My list was just an example, in no way exhaustive. I'm hoping you get that fact.

I have firm faith that these mons will be metagame staples much like gen5, instead of niche stuff like Bronzong which only saw use in trickroom and selectively rare rainstall variants. Not to mention stuff like Jellicent exists who could easily make my life miserable with will-o-wisp, whom I'd rather OHKO than give a chance.
Couple that with stuff like Def Celebi and Bulky Latias being very good possible meta picks, it's inarguable that Dark provides superior coverage.

So yeah Dark is a better metagame pick for me than falling for a simple mindgame paranoia. The pressure is more on Aegislash since it cannot switch in safely and gets only one turn chance with King's Shield, a 50/50 at best.

And sorry but, "going to be used extensively" is just a baseless speculation as of now, we don't even know how the meta's gonna shape up. Just because it shows promise in theory doesn't necessarily mean it'll be as great on practice. This does NOT mean I'm discounting it though, I'd just rather not have people jumping the gun and go for more prudent and logical choices.

Last edited:
Gyarados and Medicham, in my opinion, aren't being discussed because we have bigger problems right now, and Gyarados is still good on his own, while Medicham... kind of has the same problems it did before the mega evolution (though being the STRONGEST POKEMON IN THE GAME is something)

I'm wondering why Mega Aggron isn't creating more buzz. When I saw his new base defense was now 230, I simply couldn't believe it. That is simply jaw-dropping, and puts it in an entirely new league. The fact that it is now pure steel, coupled with Filter, means that the buff to its defense reaches the realm of the insane. It may be annoying to have lost STAB on Head Smash, but with the new premium placed on steel attacks I think Mega Aggron will be happier with using Heavy Slam to demolish the opposition. This is in addition to the fact that it learns a number of utility moves like Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Roar, etc. I don't believe there is any unboosted physical attack in the game that can take this monster down in a single hit. I wonder if even a critical hit would do the trick. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about how this defensive titan could bring a whole new meaning to stall.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm wondering why Mega Aggron isn't creating more buzz. When I saw his new base defense was now 230, I simply couldn't believe it. That is simply jaw-dropping, and puts it in an entirely new league. The fact that it is now pure steel, coupled with Filter, means that the buff to its defense reaches the realm of the insane. It may be annoying to have lost STAB on Head Smash, but with the new premium placed on steel attacks I think Mega Aggron will be happier with using Heavy Slam to demolish the opposition. This is in addition to the fact that it learns a number of utility moves like Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Roar, etc. I don't believe there is any unboosted physical attack in the game that can take this monster down in a single hit. I wonder if even a critical hit would do the trick. Anyway, I'd love to hear more about how this defensive titan could bring a whole new meaning to stall.
I'd hate to use it due to no recovery bar rest, and there are more defensive steels that can setup sr cough ferro cough skarm cough

Aside from possibly Blastoise for supporting, or Venusaur if you are feeling cheeky, Mega Aggron is a MUST for a stall team. That amazing defense belies a rather useful special defense, and it can still SR with pretty much nothing stopping it.

EDIT: Forry lacks recovery JUST AS MUCH as Mega Aggron, and Skarm was used before it had Roost. Rest/Sleep Talk will be enough for this. Heck, just REST will be enough for it, a stall team probably will have a Heal Bell/Aromatherepy and he can live the two turns in a pinch.

Mega Medicham got a pretty decent speed boost and an attack boost. Those things alone make it a horrible death monster.

According to Serebii Mawile has 105.
Well, Medicham still has the advantage in STAB, Mawile's best are a 90 BP 90 Acc move and an 80 BP 100 Acc move while Medicham has a good coverage 130 BP 90 acc move (and I guess a 80 BP 90 acc move as well). It's also faster.

Which one has a higher base attack before the Huge/Pure Power boost? Mega Medicham has 100, IIRC.
Mega Medicham has base 100 atk and Mega Mawile has 105.

Technically M-Medicham is stronger because it has a better STAB in the form of High Jump Kick.
Still too much of a glass cannon to truly make an impact, though. Its newfound problems with fairies don't help its case either.
I wouldn't say that makes him stronger, it just means he has a better stab... A better stab with a huge drawback if unlucky... Strength IMO is directly connected to the amount of damage his stats allow them to do with the same bp moves and Mawile outdamages medicham pound for pound so to speak. Movepools are an entirely different topic as well as how viable they each are in whatever tier. Their resistances and movepools let them effectively take on different Pokemon but as far as strength goes, no matter how u put it, Mega Mawile is stronger. Especially considering high jump kick has a type that makes it a danger to use and more forms of protect to screw with it

Skill Link Mega Heracross 185 base atk with Rock Blast (egg move) and pin missile (lvl up). Albeit slower than regular hera (75 base speed over 85), is it stronger than CB Hera?

Skill Link Mega Heracross 185 base atk with Rock Blast (egg move) and pin missile (lvl up). Albeit slower than regular hera (75 base speed over 85), is it stronger than CB Hera?
CB Megahorn: 349*1.5*120*1.5 = 94230
Mega Pin Missile: 469*125*1.5 = 87937.5 (93.3%)

CB Stone Edge: 349*1.5*100 = 52350
Mega Rock Blast: 469*125 = 58625 (112.0%)

Ignored natures for simplicity since they compare the same way. It loses a bit of power on its Bug STAB, but gains power on its Rock coverage because of the greater BP gain.

CB Megahorn: 349*1.5*120*1.5 = 94230
Mega Pin Missile: 469*125*1.5 = 87937.5 (93.3%)

CB Stone Edge: 349*1.5*100 = 52350
Mega Rock Blast: 469*125 = 58625 (112.0%)

Ignored natures for simplicity since they compare the same way. It loses a bit of power on its Bug STAB, but gains power on its Rock coverage because of the greater BP gain.
Interesting, breaking subs is important for a slower M. Hera. Plus the increased defenses and ability to switch between moves.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mawile and Medicham play differently anyhow; Mawile's higher Attack allows it to invest more in its defenses, and perhaps not invest in its Attack at all, so it plays more as a pivot/tank. Medicham on the other hand should invest in its offenses and Speed. No need to compare them anymore.

SD Megacham can one-shot pretty much everything except Sturdy users (assuming it's using Hi Jump Kick/Thunder Punch/Ice Punch).

I've been doing some research and Mega Houndoom's ability doesn't help it too much. To use it in singles, you're gonna need to use Sunny Day, and Nasty Plot boosts every attack except Fire Blast more (and the difference with FB isn't significant), doesn't need to be used every 5 turns, and doesn't drain your health. However, in doubles, Megadoom/Ninetales is a devastating combo. Still, Mega Houndoom has excellent potential as a special sweeper even in singles, as Fire Blast/Dark Pulse/HP Ice/Fairy have excellent coverage and kill pretty much anything after rocks.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SD Megacham can one-shot pretty much everything except Sturdy users (assuming it's using Hi Jump Kick/Thunder Punch/Ice Punch).

I've been doing some research and Mega Houndoom's ability doesn't help it too much. To use it in singles, you're gonna need to use Sunny Day, and Nasty Plot boosts every attack except Fire Blast more (and the difference with FB isn't significant), doesn't need to be used every 5 turns, and doesn't drain your health. However, in doubles, Megadoom/Ninetales is a devastating combo. Still, Mega Houndoom has excellent potential as a special sweeper even in singles, as Fire Blast/Dark Pulse/HP Ice/Fairy have excellent coverage and kill pretty much anything after rocks.
This post made me realize we now live in a world where things will use hidden power fairy for coverage.

Huh. It's a strange feeling.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Does anybody care about mega gardevoir? Does it have any moves to abuse pixilate with? What are its base stats?

EDIT: Nvm about stats, they're 68/85/65/165(!!!)/135/100
Quite sexy special attack

Last edited:
MeGardevoir seems like it'll become an amazing wallbreaker. Pixelate is useless since everything it could get out of it is worse than moonbeam, and its stats are 68/85/65/165/135/100

- Adamant
Mega Medicham - 656
Mega Mawile - 678

Medicham have HJK, so technically it wins

Stamping the term "technically" in your post as a form of reasoning does not make a claim true which is the exact reason I made my last post. You are basing the idea that mega Medicham is "stronger" than mega Mawile on the fact that it carries and will be using Stab High jump kick, however you are doing so in a forum that has constantly pointed towards the high probable usage of Aegislash and Mega Gengar and Shadow Sneak Protean Greninja, with an emphasis on spin blocking for sticky web this gen as we'll. not to mention the accuracy of high jump kick, it's major recoil if it misses and so many things that can guarantee that miss like those ghosts I mentioned and kings shield, spiky shield, protect, etc.

Excuse me if I don't understand your argument but how would that make him stronger?

As I said before, move sets have nothing to do with strength, that's solely the responsibility of stats. Move pools are what make the Pokemon viable with their given stats which is what this board is about a and I'm not arguing that Medicham is definitely viable (even if aegislash sets up on him like no tomorrow and can shadowsneak after he gets his boosts) but it's inaccurate to say he wins when the stats say otherwise, and using such a self-destructive move as your argument...

Stamping the term "technically" in your post as a form of reasoning does not make a claim true which is the exact reason I made my last post. You are basing the idea that mega Medicham is "stronger" than mega Mawile on the fact that it carries and will be using Stab High jump kick, however you are doing so in a forum that has constantly pointed towards the high probable usage of Aegislash and Mega Gengar and Shadow Sneak Protean Greninja, with an emphasis on spin blocking for sticky web this gen as we'll. not to mention the accuracy of high jump kick, it's major recoil if it misses and so many things that can guarantee that miss like those ghosts I mentioned and kings shield, spiky shield, protect, etc.

Excuse me if I don't understand your argument but how would that make him stronger?

As I said before, move sets have nothing to do with strength, that's solely the responsibility of stats. Move pools are what make the Pokemon viable with their given stats which is what this board is about a and I'm not arguing that Medicham is definitely viable (even if aegislash sets up on him like no tomorrow and can shadowsneak after he gets his boosts) but it's inaccurate to say he wins when the stats say otherwise, and using such a self-destructive move as your argument...
Except power is meaningless if it's just based on stats. You need strong moves to do damage.

Look at Weavile. 120 Attack is awesome, but because Ice Punch is such a weak move, Weavile may as well be using a 95 BP move with 80 base Attack, like Froslass. MegaMawile may have 5 more base attack than MegaCham, but MegaCham's going to be out-damaging with neutral hits due to its STAB move being so much stronger than Mawile's strongest STAB. That's the argument: damage output. And both HJK and Play Rough have the same accuracy anyway

I am personally gonna give my 2 cents on some of the mega evolutions i personally think are worst:

Mega Alakazam: Despite the amazing SpA and Spe, it still is pitifully frail and can easily be killed by prority, also losing magic guard dents him badly, with magic guard it was an amazing revenge killer, hazards immunity, gaining a toxic and burn immunity, being the most viable focus sash in ou, being able to fire strong recoil-less life orbed hits, with trace, despite having amazing speed and special attack, it's still really frail on the physical side, and 90% of priority moves are physical, so being normal is better imo.

Mega Heracross: It's speculated that it has around 185 Atk (source:http://www.serebii.net/xy/megaevolutions.shtml) and better defenses, one would think it would be amazing, that, until you look at his lowered 75, losing the ability to run a choice scarf, and better defense don't fully protect you from a 4x weakness to flying, beside the powerful psychics and new fairies still hurting him hard, if not OHKO'ing him, also he has esentially no good use for Skill Link, since he has no good multi-hit moves, and he's better with it's 2 120 STAB's, it's better off using it's typical sets, with better abilities in guts and moxie.

Mega Ampharos: This is probably the worst mega evo imo, while it has a high "165" SpA, it pitiful speed is now even lower, and while it may have better defense, there's a lot fast-powerful ground types out there, like Excadrill or Garchomp, as well as the new fairies, it still can be easily OHKO'ed without getting the chance to hit due to it's pitiful speed, which isn't enough, combined with the fact that there are other mega evos giving competition, it's not precicely going to be threat as some ought to be, specially in OU.

After all, this is based on speculation, so mega Amphy could be a monster (but i doubt it :P), i'm sorry if i wrote some words wrong, but english is not my main language

I am personally gonna give my 2 cents on some of the mega evolutions i personally think are worst:

Mega Heracross: It's speculated that it has around 185 Atk (source:http://www.serebii.net/xy/megaevolutions.shtml) and better defenses, one would think it would be amazing, that, until you look at his lowered 75, losing the ability to run a choice scarf, and better defense don't fully protect you from a 4x weakness to flying, beside the powerful psychics and new fairies still hurting him hard, if not OHKO'ing him, also he has esentially no good use for Skill Link, since he has no good multi-hit moves, and he's better with it's 2 120 STAB's, it's better off using it's typical sets, with better abilities in guts and moxie.

After all, this is based on speculation, so mega Amphy could be a monster (but i doubt it :P), i'm sorry if i wrote some words wrong, but english is not my main language
Mega Heracross can learn Pin Missle by level up, Rock Blast as an egg move, Arm Thrust and Bullet Seed via move relearner for Skill Link abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)