Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had good results using TWO megas on the same team.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Blaze -> Drought
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Flame Charge
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake

Char Y actually has Flare Blitz equal to X's most of the time, because of Drought. This mega is an all-in strategy, meaning you really need to build your team around him, and dugtrio is almost required, but you can definitely pull it off if you get him in w/o rocks.

Sometimes he's actually the best as a lead, to just kill/wound one or two things then die off. Flame charge and drought is what defines Y over X in the physical attacking setting, allowing you to speed boost through taunt and also to clip a decent chunk of health on sturdy/custap pokemon (decent if drought is up) followed by a flare blitz. He is frail but can still switch in to things like scizor, some genesects, skarmory, clefable, some jirachis, forrestress, celebi, ferrothorn, abomasnow, mamoswine, some landorus-t, florges, chansey, etc.

The goal is to get charizard in on something, maybe even the lead on turn 1, and get one boost. Then depending on how its going, you either megaevolve or don't. Fire the mega if drought is gonna get you a KO or if it will help you avoid a water ko. If not, get off whatever attack you can, and save your mega for a different pokemon like gengar or lucario or venusaur.

Remember, char-y is immune to ground, neutral to ice, resists fairy, steel, bug, fighting, and grass. There's useful stuff in there.

This is a ballsy, fun, and rewarding archetype to play. I recommend a core team of Char-Y, MegaGengar, Dugtrio for the most fireworks. Tension builds up from turn 1.

Make sure your team can capitalize if drought is up (even if just appreciating weaker water attacks), but don't over-focus on weather, because drought is mainly there just to boost charizard's STAB, and don't forget your checks to Talonflame, Tyranitar, and Rotom-W.

on the subject of deadly Megas, i utilize a defensive dusclops to switch into a normal or fighting move from either Khan or Lucario, then burn or even curse. You gotta watch out for the specially oriented lucarios though. Oddly, they don't seem as common on Mega sets. Or maybe thats just me. You can play around Absol pretty easily

Mega Kangaskhan is the one thing I'm really afraid of in OU. I can work my away around Gengar or Aegislash, but Kangaskhan is guaranteed to take out at least one member of my team. However, I haven't seen much of it since I started using Trevenant, and I think Trevenant could maybe sort of check it. Hopefully. Kangaskhan went from nobody to nightmare overnight. You know, I wrote a fanfic once where the main character fought Giovanni's Kangaskhan, and it was a complete monster. Just unstoppable. Part of me laughed, like, "why am I writing something so unrealistic, it's only a Kangaskhan." Now I'm like, "Oh, wow, I predicted the horrible, dystopian world we live in."

The only mega I've really used is Charizard-X. A DD set. I'm liking the dragon stab and decent bulk it's got, and even with the SR weakness, he can pull off a satisfying sweep. I'm not really impressed with Mega Scizor just because I think regular Scizor is good enough as is, and if I'm putting Scizor on my team I'd rather run a bulky SD set with Leftovers or a CBer.

Last edited:
Mega Lucario I've found to be the most successful Mega for my team. I feel Crunch is pretty needed for those expected Ghost switch-ins, it even works on an incoming Aegislash since Steel doesn't resist dark anymore. I still feel kinda bad for being one of those Extremespeed-running noobs rather than use Bullet Punch because of Adaptability. though the priority is kinda nice against other really fast pokemon like Talonflame or something.

Though I do see people's point who say Bullet Punch is unquestionably the better option for Mega Lucario though. the Extremespeed would probably be more acceptable on normal Lucarios who use an item.

I actually do not like Charizard Y.
The drought+spA boost looks good.
But its apparent SR weakness is just horrid.
I've seen teams with both Ninetales and Charizard Y on the same team and I just don't believe adding another teammate that has extreme SR weakness to your team is too risky.

As for viable megas, I truly believe Mega Garchomp is extremely good, as a wall breaker.
I'd never use the SD Mega Garchomp set as it's too slow for anything.
The mixed Mega Garchomp, however, is an absolute beast.
With the comparable offensive prowess to mixed Kyurem-B but without all the horrid typing, it's the best wall breaker in the metagame.

Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan are well above the rest. Below these two I've found that I'd rather have the mega slot on one of them than anything else.

Mega Gengar perish-trapping with volt-turn is freaking insane. On some teams, I use a rocky Helmet Garchomp on a lot of my teams just to check Kanga. It can switch in and eat it for breakfast. I tend to use Sucker Punch/Return/Power-up Punch with Earthquake or Crunch, and it's hard to stop.

If those two get kicked to Ubers, the best set of Megas left is probably Lucario, Scizor (for the bulkier SD set) and Pinsir. Pinsir especially is a beast on sticky web teams. The Charizards are also a huge threat, provided you can get it out without eating stealth rock damage.

Blastoise is good on paper, but Mold Breaker Excadrill does the same thing with all the Gengar floating around.

I had good results using TWO megas on the same team.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Blaze -> Drought
Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Flame Charge
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake

Char Y actually has Flare Blitz equal to X's most of the time, because of Drought. This mega is an all-in strategy, meaning you really need to build your team around him, and dugtrio is almost required, but you can definitely pull it off if you get him in w/o rocks.

Sometimes he's actually the best as a lead, to just kill/wound one or two things then die off. Flame charge and drought is what defines Y over X in the physical attacking setting, allowing you to speed boost through taunt and also to clip a decent chunk of health on sturdy/custap pokemon (decent if drought is up) followed by a flare blitz. He is frail but can still switch in to things like scizor, some genesects, skarmory, clefable, some jirachis, forrestress, celebi, ferrothorn, abomasnow, mamoswine, some landorus-t, florges, chansey, etc.

The goal is to get charizard in on something, maybe even the lead on turn 1, and get one boost. Then depending on how its going, you either megaevolve or don't. Fire the mega if drought is gonna get you a KO or if it will help you avoid a water ko. If not, get off whatever attack you can, and save your mega for a different pokemon like gengar or lucario or venusaur.

Remember, char-y is immune to ground, neutral to ice, resists fairy, steel, bug, fighting, and grass. There's useful stuff in there.

This is a ballsy, fun, and rewarding archetype to play. I recommend a core team of Char-Y, MegaGengar, Dugtrio for the most fireworks. Tension builds up from turn 1.

Make sure your team can capitalize if drought is up (even if just appreciating weaker water attacks), but don't over-focus on weather, because drought is mainly there just to boost charizard's STAB, and don't forget your checks to Talonflame, Tyranitar, and Rotom-W.
Unless something has flown right past my head... This looks like it has no business in OU whatsoever. If you don't Mega your charizard, you're basically wasting a team slot. Which brings up another issue, your Gengar can make better use of another item.

I understand the philosophy here, potential mind games behind two megas, and I can even understand a mixed Naive CharY using Sun-Boosted Flare Blitz with some special attacks. Offensively speaking, it's arguably a better mixed attacker in the sun than MixMence or Charizard X... But really, a Charizard Y with only Flare Blitz and Earthquake? Am I missing something here? This looks like something from RBY/GSC. I mean unless you have something to make use of Drought, you might as well give it a Life Orb and let Mega Gengar do it's thing.

This is about the longest and nicest way I'll ever say that a set is absolutely garbage and I don't know WTF you were thinking.

Last edited:
I don't think people have given abomasnow a fair shake yet. the combination of blizzard and earthquake make it surprisingly hard to have a safe switch it, since blizzard is going to do tons of damage to anything that does not resist it and earthquake hits almost everything that does resist it. water and bronzong are the only thing that don't, and water types can't touch abomasnow. it also has priority to patch up that slow speed.

It's stats may be slightly underwhelming but I'm inclined to believe in mega ampharos. It has a very unique typing and what folks seem to ignore is access to heal bell. An offensively oriented cleric with unique dragon/electric typing could become very fun to use. I also am rooting for mega blastoise. The added bulk makes him a much more long lived spinner than starmie when you factor in its pulse boosting ability.

I don't think Mega Lucario is getting the love it deserves.
While I can't say if it's broken or not, it is a one of the most powerful top-tier pokemon for sure.
Sure it's not the easiest thing in the world to simply come in and mega evolve, and you should to optimize Lucario's effectiveness, it is certainly a beast once it does.
I know PO is a different place but it is a very prominent place competitive pokemon scene, nowhere close to Smogon, however. And I know PO users are talking about how Mega Lucario may be potentially broken, esp in post-pokebank era where Talonflame isn't as dominant due to the abundance of stealth rock. And without Talonflame, Mega Lucario goes to town with fists all over the place.

Aegi and Talonflame's existence sucks for Lucario but I, too, think Lucario should be more feared to the people.
It's still true that mega evolving Lucario isn't the easiest thing in the world but once it mega transforms, it's so goddamn
deadly. Once his main checks/counters are removed, he will rip teams into pieces.
He's so damn versatile and powerful. His physics, special, and mixed sets are all amazing.

I understand PO is talking about how Lucarionite will be looked into for suspect testing , too.
But I don't believe this is the right place to bring such matter into as it is not PO.

My problem with mega lucario without going into PO and not hating on it, is the fact that bulk up talon flame exists and Alakazam has come back in greater popularity mega evo or not. Lucario has definite potential as long as key threats leave but talon flame has roost and bulk up which with rapid spin support means it could be harder to kill and cause steel problems. Also mega Alakazam has the speed and the power to nick that steel hole in the armor. I do agree that mega lucario should be given more room to breathe but I'm thinking that it's special set will take more priority in the future meta game.

Mega Blastoise is still very much viable. Since when is Excadrill beating Trevenant or Gourgeist? It has the exact same Special Attack as Excadrill's attack, but with more bulk and a little less Speed. It also gets STAB on Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse, and since those moves get amazing coverage it makes up for any real power issue Mega Blastoise has. It still gets Ice Beam for great coverage alongside Scald/Water Pulse, it's just that no one's paying attention to Ice Beam, and people should start running that.

It's just a bit hard to free up that Mega slot for Blastoise when you have stuff like Gengar and Kangaskhan running around.

So, I think we kinda need to reboot this thread. Gengar and (no surprise here) Blaziken have both been banned, while the metagame has changed a lot and will change more when pokebank comes out. All this considered, we actually have an idea what the metagame might look like in a couple months, so which megas actually might see some OU usage and why?

So, I think we kinda need to reboot this thread. Gengar and (no surprise here) Blaziken have both been banned, while the metagame has changed a lot and will change more when pokebank comes out. All this considered, we actually have an idea what the metagame might look like in a couple months, so which megas actually might see some OU usage and why?
Inb4 Kangaskan

I think Mega Scizor will absolutely see some more use now that Gengarite is gone. While CB Scizor will always be crazy popular, I reckon that Scizorite will see more use over Leftovers or Iron Plate that bulkier Acizor used to run. It isn't a dramatic change, but its quite good for that additional bulk. With Roost, it gives Scizor the niche of a tank, on top of sweeping / revenge killing / Pursuit trapping / momentum grabbing. Just another thing that Scizor can do.

We'll be seeing more of the bulky Megas now, too. Venusaur, for example, seems like it'll find a place on teams looking for a pivot tanky thing that can hit hard too. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I've only heard good things about it, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I suppose Mega Charizard Y will be BETTER than Charizard...definitley not OU though
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you there, Charizard Y completely demolishes most pokemon in ou with its base 159 sp.att and plus drought boost only makes it more viable. And the stealth rocks? use a rapid spinner.

and Heracross also loses its Speed and gains a seemingly useless ability Skill Link
Dude, this thing has A BASE ATTACK STAT OF 185!!! I have been annoyed by this thing to no end, as people use a baton passer to get speed to it, and afterwards, it's UNSTOPPABLE. Seriously, just give this thing bullet seed, pin missile, arm thrust and rock blast and go to town on EVERYONE.

Now due note the first two are wifi only
Mega Blaziken: This thing hits like a beast already,+ it's base speed is raised apon mega evolution (attack to, regular blaziken hits harder with LO) its alittle bulky and has a great offensive typing and once it sets up there are very few things that can stop it

Mega Gengar: This thing is just scary. If something threatens your team He will usally always kill the threat, Shadow tag traps all pokemon unless they are a ghost, or use a move that allows them to switch. Plus his speed and sp attack are nothing to laugh at

Mega Kangashan: Great movepool, bulky, good speed, good attack, and parental bond. Need I say more?

Mega Charizard Y: Well, it's gotgood speed, amazing Sp attack and a great move pool. It also has drought. It does lose half HP from stealth rock tho. Tho it has a good offensive typing xD.

I'm getting tierd of typing so I want to add that Mega pinsir and Mega Venesaur are both viable to.

Mega Gardevoir is a very viable mega.

The special attack goes pretty high after it mega evolves, not to mention the boost to the special defense. If you decide to invest defense evs into Gard, you will end up with a bulky sweeper. If you manage to set up calm minds, you WILL end up sweeping the team. With Pixilate, you can add Hyper beam which is just stupid powerful, but not recommended. With pixilate, echoed voice will also be fairy, gaining STAB, and becoming more powerful each turn you use it. The maximum base power is 200, and with fairy STAB along with the monster special attack, it will literally wreck house. The only bad thing about this is that its speed is pretty lackluster, meaning it will be outsped. Although investing evs in speed will make it faster, you would want to mostly invest it in special def/def and special attack.

Its movepool is also pretty nice as well. Echoed voice (bw2), Moonblast, calm mind, psychic, wish, thunderbolt, shadow ball, energy ball, focus blast, Dazzling Gleam *for doubles* are all very viable moves for Gard.

I like how its very diversive, and can do a lot of sets. It can act as a bulky special sweeper, a special wall, or a wish cleric. Gardevoir has been outclassed by Gallade, but now ever since the fairy type, Gard definitely has the potential to be better than Gallade and have a very nice niche.

With Mega Mawile. Its a instant switching threat. You can switch it out into almost any opposing Pokémon, and your opponent will likely switch firstly because of its huge attack stat but there's more to mega mawile than just that, it has stabs like play rough and iron head, and a decent priority move as it has sucker punch..

The M-Kang ban is imminent, and after it I suspect M-Lucario will also be banned, he really just needs 1 turn to sweep a lot of teams, even a team at full or mostly full health. When paired with Wobbuffet a sweep is gauranteed like 75% of the time, even against team players. Maybe if he could only hit physically or specially he'd be more fair, but the fact that you don't know which side he's coming from until it's too late, paired with strong priority, make him too good for OU.

I think Venusaur, Scizor, Mawile, Both Charizards, Pinsir, Blastoise, Medicham and even Gardevoir will be OU/High UU.
Of these I'd say Medicham is the worst, he hits hard sure but he lacks reliable priority and his typing/defenses just don't cut it a lot of the time, he'd make a great Baton Pass recipient though.

Blastoise and Gardevoir are both seriously underrated but I think when the dust clears and some of the stronger Megas are banned they'll prove to be worth a spot. Both have decent utility and hit very hard on the special side. Blastoise is also the best user of Rapid Spin in the meta with the sole exception of excadrill.

I'm glad people have been realizing Venusaur's potential. He just makes such a great tank, anything not packing a Flying or Psychic move is bound to have trouble with him. Giga Drain/EQ/Synthesis/Roar, AJWL's set, is probably the best set out there, as it can hit most not-dragons for a decent amount of damage. He partners great with Heatran and can take an Ice Beam from Tail Glow Manaphy with more than 50% left, then nearly kill it with giga drain, which is amazing.

Scizor is also a pokemon that works better defensively than offensive IMO and is one of the best Defog users in the tier next to mandibuzz, Latios and Skarmory. Bulky SD Scizor is also a serious threat, I except to see a lot more of it when/if Lucario is banned.

I don't really think Manectric will be OU, high UU maybe. He hits hard but not hard enough unless you manage to snag a lightningrod boost. He makes a good addition to Volt-Turn teams thanks to intimidate but I don't think he has the power or versatility to be worth the slot.

Heracross is almost completly outclassed by his unevolved form running Guts in terms of speed, utility (status absorber) and power.

I haven't seen much of Houndoom so I can't speak for him, but his biggest problem is a weakness to 1/2 of the best priority out there right now. He hits hard enough but without Solar Power active he's not that impressive. He would have been amazing had weather not been nerfed, but since it is he's not worth the slot except on dedicated Sun teams.

The Charizards, Mawile and Pinsir will be the dominant offensive Megas in the tier. Charizard Y is great for his ability to come in at literally any time and destroy an unprepared team, but his SR weakness in both forms paired with his only okay speed hold him back. He's still a great Mega though, and the fact that he doesn't need a turn to set up makes me consider him to be better than his Brother. X is also a huge threat after a Dragon-Dance or two, though he's not so strong as to be unstopabe unless its late game, Gliscor in particular gives him some real trouble. The Charizard's greatest strength is their unpredictability, you don't know what they're going to turn into until it's too late and it's hard to prepare for them aside from set up SR and hope.

Pinsir will probably be the most common offensive mega seen except for maybe Char X. He's frail, SR weak and has his share of counters, but he can pretty much one-shot nearly anything in the Tier after a SD. That said Talonflame and Rotom-W's prevalence may check him fairly effectively.

The M-Kang ban is imminent, and after it I suspect M-Lucario will also be banned, he really just needs 1 turn to sweep a lot of teams, even a team at full or mostly full health. When paired with Wobbuffet a sweep is gauranteed like 75% of the time, even against team players. Maybe if he could only hit physically or specially he'd be more fair, but the fact that you don't know which side he's coming from until it's too late, paired with strong priority, make him too good for OU.

I think Venusaur, Scizor, Mawile, Both Charizards, Pinsir, Blastoise, Medicham and even Gardevoir will be OU/High UU.
Of these I'd say Medicham is the worst, he hits hard sure but he lacks reliable priority and his typing/defenses just don't cut it a lot of the time, he'd make a great Baton Pass recipient though.

Blastoise and Gardevoir are both seriously underrated but I think when the dust clears and some of the stronger Megas are banned they'll prove to be worth a spot. Both have decent utility and hit very hard on the special side. Blastoise is also the best user of Rapid Spin in the meta with the sole exception of excadrill.

I'm glad people have been realizing Venusaur's potential. He just makes such a great tank, anything not packing a Flying or Psychic move is bound to have trouble with him. Giga Drain/EQ/Synthesis/Roar, AJWL's set, is probably the best set out there, as it can hit most not-dragons for a decent amount of damage. He partners great with Heatran and can take an Ice Beam from Tail Glow Manaphy with more than 50% left, then nearly kill it with giga drain, which is amazing.

Scizor is also a pokemon that works better defensively than offensive IMO and is one of the best Defog users in the tier next to mandibuzz, Latios and Skarmory. Bulky SD Scizor is also a serious threat, I except to see a lot more of it when/if Lucario is banned.

I don't really think Manectric will be OU, high UU maybe. He hits hard but not hard enough unless you manage to snag a lightningrod boost. He makes a good addition to Volt-Turn teams thanks to intimidate but I don't think he has the power or versatility to be worth the slot.

Heracross is almost completly outclassed by his unevolved form running Guts in terms of speed, utility (status absorber) and power.

I haven't seen much of Houndoom so I can't speak for him, but his biggest problem is a weakness to 1/2 of the best priority out there right now. He hits hard enough but without Solar Power active he's not that impressive. He would have been amazing had weather not been nerfed, but since it is he's not worth the slot except on dedicated Sun teams.

The Charizards, Mawile and Pinsir will be the dominant offensive Megas in the tier. Charizard Y is great for his ability to come in at literally any time and destroy an unprepared team, but his SR weakness in both forms paired with his only okay speed hold him back. He's still a great Mega though, and the fact that he doesn't need a turn to set up makes me consider him to be better than his Brother. X is also a huge threat after a Dragon-Dance or two, though he's not so strong as to be unstopabe unless its late game, Gliscor in particular gives him some real trouble. The Charizard's greatest strength is their unpredictability, you don't know what they're going to turn into until it's too late and it's hard to prepare for them aside from set up SR and hope.

Pinsir will probably be the most common offensive mega seen except for maybe Char X. He's frail, SR weak and has his share of counters, but he can pretty much one-shot nearly anything in the Tier after a SD. That said Talonflame and Rotom-W's prevalence may check him fairly effectively.

Mawiles priority and excellent stabbing moves just make it a huge threat. He may not have as much speed, but the presence of being able to take a hit sortof equals this out.

When invested in HP, Mega Mawile's physical bulk is very surprising. I've been able to stomach a few equakes and then OHKO in retaliation. I've lost count of how many times Mawile's led a game winning comeback from 6-1 for me. She's an absolute monster in offense, especially if she manages to get up that swords dance.

Mawiles priority and excellent stabbing moves just make it a huge threat. He may not have as much speed, but the presence of being able to take a hit sortof equals this out.
Yeah I forgot to do the write up of Mawile. Frankly Mawile is just better Medicham most of the time. Neither enjoy switching in to anything while unevolved but Mawile at least has intimidate to soften the blow, she also has a far better defensive typing and better bulk in general when Mega-Evolved. She's slow but Sucker Punch mitigates that to a large extent. People keep trying to make TR teams with Mampharos but honestly I'd consider Mawile to be a far better option in that regard (Abomasnow is also great on TR). The problem with Mawile is that if you have to switch out and allow it to get that SD you're in a lot of trouble, almost NOTHING can switch into a +2 play rough safely, even M-Venusaur at 252/252+ is Ko'd handily by it followed by Sucker Punch. The best strategy for Mawile is don't bring out a Pokemon that can't threaten it within the turn it comes out until it's safely dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)