Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to get a command like:

/rankbattlers

Or something like that which would act as a shortcut for:

/rank battler1
/rank battler2

Zarel, I was wondering if you're going to introduce random monotype battles on Main. I've seen them on another server, and they're pretty fun. WOuld be good to see them on main too.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Zarel, I was wondering if you're going to introduce random monotype battles on Main. I've seen them on another server, and they're pretty fun. WOuld be good to see them on main too.
Do what Xylen said, but you also have to get permission from the OP of the monotype thread iirc, as you're basically building off of his own metagame.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These are a few suggestions I have. Pokémon Showdown has come a long way, and is - in my opinion - the best Pokémon competitive battling site available. Before I begin, these suggestions aren't really that important, and - if you go ahead with these suggestions - shouldn't be prioritised. PS is excellent the way it is! Anyway, I'll begin:

1. Add an option to revert to the sprites from Gen 5 other than disable animations. These were my favourite sprites, and it was a shame to see them go.

2. Improve move animations. This suggestion specifies to certain moves., such as Leaf Blade. This also goes with multiple hit moves. Personally, I would enjoy seeing every hit singularly, instead of seeing one attack, then suddenly having the damage % show up for each hit.

3. This is more of a GM suggestion. I was considering the possibility of a Mixed Tier gamemode, which could be you have 1 pokémon from Ubers, OU, UU, RU, NU, and NFE. Obviously, this could have problems. Your Ubers pokémon could easily sweep the opponent's team, without them even getting a chance. Therefore, different setups could work, perhaps 2 OU, 2 UU, and 3 RU pokémon, and so on.

4. Add the option to change the colour of your name. Again, unimportant, but I hate it when I'm given a colour I hate for my account :p

5. Remember that you're doing a great job! You take criticism well and only seem to care about the players. Furthermore, Pokémon Showdown is amazing. Don't make any rash decisions, and keep PS the way it is; Perfect. Well, nearly, I'm not the owner, so you'll never be perfect without me. ;) And yes, I know I'm far from perfect.

EDIT: Three more suggestions for you.

+1: Add a box system! Again, it isn't needed, but I "recycle" a lot of the setups I use on a pokémon, so it would be pretty nifty.

+2: Add some sort of challenge system; Every time you complete a challenge, you could, say, obtain a certain amount of Challenge Points (Links with +3) or something along those lines. You could even make the challenges completely obnoxious, that would be pretty hilarious to attempt a challenge that orders you to, say, sweep an enemy team using only Rattata XD

+3: Challenge Points, or CP for short. These could be used to buy new avatars, change the colour of your name, and so on. For the name change, you could make it so that it's random what the new colour will be, to make it interesting.

Last edited:

Bean

༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽༼ ͒ ̶ ͒༽
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
These are a few suggestions I have. Pokémon Showdown has come a long way, and is - in my opinion - the best Pokémon competitive battling site available. Before I begin, these suggestions aren't really that important, and - if you go ahead with these suggestions - shouldn't be prioritised. PS is excellent the way it is! Anyway, I'll begin:

1. Add an option to revert to the sprites from Gen 5 other than disable animations. These were my favourite sprites, and it was a shame to see them go.

2. Improve move animations. This suggestion specifies to certain moves., such as Leaf Blade. This also goes with multiple hit moves. Personally, I would enjoy seeing every hit singularly, instead of seeing one attack, then suddenly having the damage % show up for each hit.

3. This is more of a GM suggestion. I was considering the possibility of a Mixed Tier gamemode, which could be you have 1 pokémon from Ubers, OU, UU, RU, NU, and NFE. Obviously, this could have problems. Your Ubers pokémon could easily sweep the opponent's team, without them even getting a chance. Therefore, different setups could work, perhaps 2 OU, 2 UU, and 3 RU pokémon, and so on.

4. Add the option to change the colour of your name. Again, unimportant, but I hate it when I'm given a colour I hate for my account :p

5. Remember that you're doing a great job! You take criticism well and only seem to care about the players. Furthermore, Pokémon Showdown is amazing. Don't make any rash decisions, and keep PS the way it is; Perfect. Well, nearly, I'm not the owner, so you'll never be perfect without me. ;) And yes, I know I'm far from perfect.

EDIT: Three more suggestions for you.

+1: Add a box system! Again, it isn't needed, but I "recycle" a lot of the setups I use on a pokémon, so it would be pretty nifty.

+2: Add some sort of challenge system; Every time you complete a challenge, you could, say, obtain a certain amount of Challenge Points (Links with +3) or something along those lines. You could even make the challenges completely obnoxious, that would be pretty hilarious to attempt a challenge that orders you to, say, sweep an enemy team using only Rattata XD

+3: Challenge Points, or CP for short. These could be used to buy new avatars, change the colour of your name, and so on. For the name change, you could make it so that it's random what the new colour will be, to make it interesting.
1. This is a pretty common suggestion and afaik it's on the to-do list.
2. Another common suggestion, this is also on the to-do list but it's low priority.
3. You can suggest an alternate game mode or 'Other Meta' in the Other Metas subforum.
4. This has been suggested and denied before because being able to change name colour would make it too easy to impersonate staff members.
5. ok

+1. i would love to see this added
+2. What you're describing sounds a lot like the challenges we have over in the challenges room! Just type /join challenges or find us on the room list :) (shameless plug)
+3. This is unlikely to be added because challenges aren't server wide and there are no colour changes.

It would be cool if we could test the legality of our pokemon without having to search for a ladder match. For example, I make a new team, and I want to know if something is currently legal, but I'm not done with the team yet (and I don't want to fill out the entire team based on something that I can't even use). There could be a "legality check" button next to the team that does the same thing as the legality check when searching for a ladder match, but it does it when you want rather than when trying to search for a match.

It would be cool if we could test the legality of our pokemon without having to search for a ladder match. For example, I make a new team, and I want to know if something is currently legal, but I'm not done with the team yet (and I don't want to fill out the entire team based on something that I can't even use). There could be a "legality check" button next to the team that does the same thing as the legality check when searching for a ladder match, but it does it when you want rather than when trying to search for a match.
You could challenge a random person.

I usually test by challenging staff.

Hey
There isn't currently a suggestion thread, so I'm making one right here.

No guarantees, etc, blah blah blah

kthxbai

Layell edit: Please do not request a mobile app, if you want one feel free to start making it yourself.
zarel, nice pokemon team builder

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
dunno if this has been suggested before, but i'd like to have the base stats displayed when you hover over an opponent's pokemon in battle, alongside all the other shit thats already there. this doesn't seem hard to do but what do i know.

another thing that would be cool is if the stats displayed for your pokemon were its actual stats at the time rather than the ones it has in the teambuilder. as in, include choice item boosts / other boosts from moves like swords dance / nasty plot etc. this one might be a bit more difficult so yeah.

I don't know if this would be too bothersome, but can you guys automate the action of choosing your last mon and multi-turn lock in moves like Outrage? There really isn't any option for the player to contemplate about in those situations and it would really help to discourage timestalling.

dunno if this has been suggested before, but i'd like to have the base stats displayed when you hover over an opponent's pokemon in battle, alongside all the other shit thats already there. this doesn't seem hard to do but what do i know.

another thing that would be cool is if the stats displayed for your pokemon were its actual stats at the time rather than the ones it has in the teambuilder. as in, include choice item boosts / other boosts from moves like swords dance / nasty plot etc. this one might be a bit more difficult so yeah.
I second these, I've actually been thinking some of it myself for a while. Also, seeing your pokemon's EVs in the pop up would be nice as well...after all, not all of us know the exact stat numbers so it's not always helpful. Especially not as helpful as seeing the EVs.

While it might be nice to have such a thing, that would require adding CSS data to the client, which is a lot more cumbersome than adding things to the server side. Likely the best way to implement something like this would be to reuse the column classes from the data command, but it would probably look a bit out of place if that was done.

Further, you're actually requesting to change the nature of the information presented when you hover them. Currently everything that is displayed when you hover a poke is actually metadata, meaning that all those fields can be changed.
(name is based on nicknames when you see them, types can be altered, level is known when you see it, gender is known when you see it, you can learn abilities though a few methods, hp changes, and status condition can change.)
Stats on the other hand are consistent and never change, meaning that if you have to look them up at all in a match, you only have to do so once. It's unnecessary to have to repeatedly mouse over a poke to lean it's stats again.

However, since all of the changes for this are CSS based and on the client side, it's more than possible to make a style map for the downloadable application that does this.

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
1: keep being awesome. I love showdown, go on almost every day
2:have it so that all links posted in chat are checked by staff before they are allowed. Maybe it gets like instantly pmed or something, or just gets sent to a willing mod, or only goes to the room owner. Wherever it goes, i think it would make ps a friendlier place, with interesting and funny pictures, and not inappropriate links
3: This is very important but the damage calc is missing some moves. It kinda makes less room for creativity if i can't calc this crazy move i decided to run
4:Mobile app. This is my terrible photoshopping skills, but you get the idea > http://imgur.com/Ip7K0mh i woudl like to try ps on my phone, and even though i can go online, its kinda hard and not very fun. Ipad and tablets is better. I think this would let people battle on the run with a click of an app. I know this might take a lot of coding, but I think it will help a lot. Also, adds could bring in more money, but not too much
5: Link to intro to competitive battling on ps page. Helps all the beginners get started. I already said this in the webzine, but yeah wrong timing for that.
6: Maybe some more battle music? Dunno it kinda gets repetitive, but i know theres copyright issues and stuff
7: This is probably very hard or impossible, but spammers are so annoying when they change their ips, so is it possible to ban further than an ip? I really doubt this but can you like time them out from showdown on their browser/computer with cookies or something?lol i know i'm a noob
8: Maybe have mod battles in "watch a battle" highlighted or be easily accessed. Staff battles are always nice and funny for everyone, but its easy to miss them
9: Tabcomplete and spammers. its weird. THey spam, tabcomplete tabs the last user with those letters before the spammer. I have already been tabbed accidentally twice and locked *erhem Aza* and its not fun to have to log in and log out again. Downright annoying. Is it because they are spamming? or do they have some sort of shield for tabcomplete?
10 Keep rocking:mad:

1: keep being awesome. I love showdown, go on almost every day
2:have it so that all links posted in chat are checked by staff before they are allowed. Maybe it gets like instantly pmed or something, or just gets sent to a willing mod, or only goes to the room owner. Wherever it goes, i think it would make ps a friendlier place, with interesting and funny pictures, and not inappropriate links
3: This is very important but the damage calc is missing some moves. It kinda makes less room for creativity if i can't calc this crazy move i decided to run
4:Mobile app. This is my terrible photoshopping skills, but you get the idea > http://imgur.com/Ip7K0mh i woudl like to try ps on my phone, and even though i can go online, its kinda hard and not very fun. Ipad and tablets is better. I think this would let people battle on the run with a click of an app. I know this might take a lot of coding, but I think it will help a lot. Also, adds could bring in more money, but not too much
5: Link to intro to competitive battling on ps page. Helps all the beginners get started. I already said this in the webzine, but yeah wrong timing for that.
6: Maybe some more battle music? Dunno it kinda gets repetitive, but i know theres copyright issues and stuff
7: This is probably very hard or impossible, but spammers are so annoying when they change their ips, so is it possible to ban further than an ip? I really doubt this but can you like time them out from showdown on their browser/computer with cookies or something?lol i know i'm a noob
8: Maybe have mod battles in "watch a battle" highlighted or be easily accessed. Staff battles are always nice and funny for everyone, but its easy to miss them
9: Tabcomplete and spammers. its weird. THey spam, tabcomplete tabs the last user with those letters before the spammer. I have already been tabbed accidentally twice and locked *erhem Aza* and its not fun to have to log in and log out again. Downright annoying. Is it because they are spamming? or do they have some sort of shield for tabcomplete?
10 Keep rocking:mad:
1) Yes the staff are awesome, they know they are ;]
2) Many rooms don't allow links like battle replays or random pictures, in other rooms links play a big part. But having a staff member alerted as soon as a link is posted would be a bit cumbersome for staff and isn't necessary. Especially in rooms where links are commonly sent like Social Media or The Studio or even the lobby to some extent.
3) Could you specify what moves are missing? It'd help staff fix the problem easier.
4) The general response to this is "if you want one, make one" Showdown staff are too busy to devote that much time to make a mobile app unfortunately.
5) You can just type /intro to see this, usually when someone is new a voice or higher will use !intro.
6) I don't know how accurate this is but I recall talk of adding more music to the server would be extremely expensive.
7) Unfortunately its not possible to ban further than an ip and a server timeout may be possible if someone is willing to code that in.
8) Staff do battle but the problem is a lot of the staff are very popular and because of this staff battles will be very congested and with a high usercount comes spammers and then they're forced to put on modchat and its just an unhappy experience for all the users including the battlers. Sometimes staff will announce they are battling in the lobby and link it so you can watch. However highlighted staff battles probably won't be a thing any time soon.
9) They don't have a shield for tabcomplete but basically they spam and then switch accounts and since they are not online tabcomplete finds the next user with those letters before the spammer and unfortunately that ends up to be you and since the staff have no idea the spammer is offline because there is a small delay before the userlist or showjoins are updated they continue with the lock/mute/ban and then you become the victim. Unfortunately I don't see a clear solution to this problem.
10) They do don't they? ;]

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
Thanks for replying :)

I don't remember the moves exactly, but if I stumble across them again, i will let you guys know.
When i was a beginner, i really didn't know any commands, didn't know what mods where, i just wanted to put all of my favourite pokemon on the same team. I don't think that an intro link at the bottom next to replays would hurt experienced players, only help new players :P
Also, i would maybe like to try coding a mobile showdown app. I only have 24 hours of coding, but I'll let you guys know if I make any progress, and won't create anything without your guys' permission

Thanks for replying :)

I don't remember the moves exactly, but if I stumble across them again, i will let you guys know.
When i was a beginner, i really didn't know any commands, didn't know what mods where, i just wanted to put all of my favourite pokemon on the same team. I don't think that an intro link at the bottom next to replays would hurt experienced players, only help new players :P
Also, i would maybe like to try coding a mobile showdown app. I only have 24 hours of coding, but I'll let you guys know if I make any progress, and won't create anything without your guys' permission
About the coding, everything you need as far as PS! source code goes is available here at Zarel's Github. You don't need permission to work on anything really the stance is that if you want it you can make it but whether it gets implemented in the official Pokemon Showdown site/server then it'll have to go through Zarel. But again, you don't need any permission to work on anything and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)