Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for advice on good fire/water/grass core that includes serperior and is open for an additional fairy/steel/dragon core

many thanks in advance

I'm looking to raise a Glalie but i want to use Freeze-Dry, so i'm not sure what nature would be best so not to weaken its attack too much and how much sp.atk to invest to hit resonably hard?

I'm looking to raise a Glalie but i want to use Freeze-Dry, so i'm not sure what nature would be best so not to weaken its attack too much and how much sp.atk to invest to hit resonably hard?
Rash nature is best. Defences are paper thin so compromising one doesn't matter while you don't really need much speed as an immense wallbreaker.

Minor thing. I noticed on the analysis that Metagross uses Hasty for sets with a Special Attack. I assume it MIGHT be outdated, but why Hasty? Typically mixed attacks I see running Naive for priority, and Metagross's Physical Bulk is significantly better on top of that. Does it have to do with weaknesses, or something else?

Minor thing. I noticed on the analysis that Metagross uses Hasty for sets with a Special Attack. I assume it MIGHT be outdated, but why Hasty? Typically mixed attacks I see running Naive for priority, and Metagross's Physical Bulk is significantly better on top of that. Does it have to do with weaknesses, or something else?
I'd would assume it's because megagross' def is already skyhigh, so it can afford to have that dropped a bit rather than its spdef, just so it can take chip damage better, or not being worried about losing the speed tie with lati@s, things like that.

Could someone tell me what Delphox and Meloetta's main issues are? I'm trying to think of a Theorymon, and I need to know what issues to account for if I was to consider them.

Meloetta's main issue is that it's pirouette form is way better than it's normal forme, but you have to use the move relic song for meloetta to transform.
Delphox's main issue is it's sucky ability, and as a fire type special attacker, it's outclassed by a lot of things like zard y and heatran. Delphox is also pretty physically frail.

Will Smogon ever design its tiring system so that every tier is based off usage, instead of Uber just being what's too powerful for OU? Uber has so many Pokemon now, and the line between OU and Uber seems to get more arbitrary ever generation. What keeps Smogon from redesigning its tiring system like this?

A common misunderstanding is that uber is just a banlist from OU. However, ubers is actually it's own tier. If every tier were based off of usage, some pokemon in OU like landorus-t which has 31% usage would get banned to ubers based on usage, but they're not actually uber worthy.

Will Smogon ever design its tiring system so that every tier is based off usage, instead of Uber just being what's too powerful for OU? Uber has so many Pokemon now, and the line between OU and Uber seems to get more arbitrary ever generation. What keeps Smogon from redesigning its tiring system like this?
I believe in the Ubers is Now a Tier thread, someone had brought this up, and chaos said we'd have to ban about 50 more things from OU before we start using usage stats off of Ubers. He didn't give a concrete reason, but I believe part of it is just the fact that the tier itself has fewer viable mons than a lot of the other tiers, especially if you factor in the fact that there are about 7-10 Arceus forms that are considered garbage in Ubers. When you take usage into account, I don't think a lot of stuff used in Ubers would make the usage cut, so we'd likely end up with something very similar to a fresh XY OU meta (i.e. with a lot of the suspected megas) along with stuff that's not used often in Ubers that would wreck outside of it like Kyurem-W.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
No, the page I linked has ORAS sprites :s
Ah. Fair enough. I assumed you linked to http://www.pkparaiso.com/xy/sprites_pokemon.php, which doesn't have them yet. I wonder why they haven't put em up yet if they already have them.

Anyway I prefer Showdown to support our own guys, even if a lot of them were taken from pkparaiso.
looking for advice on good fire/water/grass core that includes serperior and is open for an additional fairy/steel/dragon core

many thanks in advance
What kind of core are you looking for? FWG isn't necessarily that effective on offensive teams, since the idea of the core is for defensive synergy. Serp doesn't provide that much defensive synergy, so it wouldn't be necessarily great on a balanced FWG core. But if you feel like using it, any Water that beats weavile would be good choice, as it makes quick work of Serp. I'm thinking Keldeo, who also beats Chansey a lot easier than serp does. As for the fire-type, Serperior really appreciates Stealth Rocks, and also struggles with Talonflame, so maybe you could try Heatran.

No guarantees or anything, but Serp / Keld / Tran sounds pretty decent as a FWG core (which again, you shouldn't feel restricted to use; a lot of good teams don't even use it).

Can someone please explain to me the different play styles? (Hyper-offense, Stall, balanced, etc..)
How can one identify what kind of play style a team is focused around?
What is commonly found on each kind of team?
What should never be used for each play style?

Can someone please explain to me the different play styles? (Hyper-offense, Stall, balanced, etc..)
Hyper-Offense: a playstyle that focuses on a heavy offense that forgoes defensive mons for strong wall-breakers and sweepers.
Stall: a defensive playstyle that often relies on hazard damage and status to wear down opposing mons.
Balanced. a playstyle that uses a mix of offensive mons and defensive mons. The defensive mons found on this team tend to have more offensive presence than those found on Stall teams, and the offensive mons tend to have a bit more bulk or good defensive typing to ease switching in.
Semi-Stall: a stall team that reserves 1-2 team slots for offensive mons. This style tends to trade defensive synergy for a less passive build.

What not to use is pretty subjective, so a quick answer to that is difficult. Generally speaking though, offensive styles need to make sure that the teammates used don't forfeit momentum. Skarmory, for instance, is considered a very passive mon and is often a poor choice for an offensive team.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hyper-Offense: a playstyle that focuses on a heavy offense that forgoes defensive mons for strong wall-breakers and sweepers.
Stall: a defensive playstyle that often relies on hazard damage and status to wear down opposing mons.
Balanced. a playstyle that uses a mix of offensive mons and defensive mons. The defensive mons found on this team tend to have more offensive presence than those found on Stall teams, and the offensive mons tend to have a bit more bulk or good defensive typing to ease switching in.
Semi-Stall: a stall team that reserves 1-2 team slots for offensive mons. This style tends to trade defensive synergy for a less passive build.

What not to use is pretty subjective, so a quick answer to that is difficult. Generally speaking though, offensive styles need to make sure that the teammates used don't forfeit momentum. Skarmory, for instance, is considered a very passive mon and is often a poor choice for an offensive team.
Something else I'd like to add is that Chansey is a terrible choice on offensive teams. I have seen so many times on the ladder where people take 5 offensive pokemon and slap on a Chansey for whatever reason. It makes no sense for the reason started, and if you really want a cleric on offense you're much better off with something like mega Lopunny, clefable, or Latias.

Generally, anything passive is bad for stall teams and that should go without saying.

Balance is a little trickier; iirc it more or less involves Pokémon that are good both offensively and defensively. A good way to get the basics of the different playstyles is to think of Stall to Balance to Offence as a sliding scale from Defensive to Offensive.

I'll give you a quick overview on each.

Hyper Offense
Characterized by fast and frail 'mons that like to hit hard, quickly, and retain momentum. You may find setup sweepers as a backup but most teams favor Pokemon with immediate power such as Mega Lopunny. Most teams with this playstyle carry one or two wallbreakers so as to not get tanked to death by Stall. You will rarely find defensively-oriented Pokemon in teams with this playstyle.
Common Pokemon to watch out for include: Mega Lopunny - The face of Hyper Offense
Mega Manetric, Mega Sceptile, Mega Beedrill Scarf Landorus-T, Greninja, Bisharp, Gengar, Talonflame, Garchomp, Banded Dragonite, and other Pokemon that can hit hard with priority.

Stall
Characterized by defensively oriented Pokemon that can wall out large parts of the metagame. Pokemon that have synergy with this playstyle usually aren't very powerful and, as such, rely on secondary sources of damage such as Status effects (mostly Toxic and Burn) and hazards (Stealth Rock, Spikes). Teams with this playstyle will usually carry very passive Pokemon that serve as reliable switch-ins to many Pokemon such as Chansey for Special Attackers and Skarmory for Physical Attackers. Stall teams also carry a Pokemon that can reliably absorb/reflect Status or a cleric that can treat it.
Common Pokemon to watch out for include: Mega Sableye - The face of Stall
Mega Slowbro, Mega Venusaur, Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Slowbro, Chansey, Chesnaught, Skarmory, Quagsire, Sableye, and other bulky Pokemon that can take hits and dish out Status or set hazards.

Balanced
Characterized by a team that is neither too offensive nor too passive by having offensive Pokemon held together by a defensive core. Most offensive Pokemon that serve this playstyle aren't fast and frail like Hyper Offense but instead bulky so as to switch in more reliably and ease prediction (e.g. Mega Scizor instead of Mega Lopunny). Defensive Pokemon in this playstyle aren't as passive as Stall walls so as to not be set up indiscriminately (e.g. Clefable instead of Chansey). Common Pokemon to watch out for include: Mega Metagross, Mega Altaria, Mega Charizard X, Mega Gyarados, Mega Scizor, Mega Gallade, Mega Heracross, Landorus-T, Azumarill, Clefable, Heatran, Garchomp, Excadrill, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Amoongus, Conkeldurr, and other Pokemon that fit the team's needs.
Landorus-T and Rotom-W are in bold because they are extremely common in this playstyle.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)