The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Was it also a horrible decision to go for the endzone with 6 seconds left in the first* half instead of taking the certainty of points with a field goal?

Last edited:
imo it wasn't a bad decision to pass, but if they're going to pass, don't make it obvious with that 3 WR formation, and then throw it to the middle of the field anyway where all the defenders were bunched up

edit
Jesus H Christ, there was no "bunching up" of dbacks in the middle. They had 7 Dlineman on the field with a man-iso look on the receivers with the only Linebacker going to mirror Lynch's movements.

The Seahawks then trotted out into a shotgun and lined up stacked on the right, which FORCES one dback to play farther back off the line, with then the first Receiver (Kearse) running a "shield" or a "pick" on the Dback who has to track him (Browner) and the backside of the stack (Malcolm Butler). This means Butler was literally 5 yards off of Lockette when Wilson gets the ball, and that was EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED TO SEE ON THAT PLAY. On the other side you have the receiver and the two tight ends vacate out to the left evacuating 3 defenders from the middle off the bat.

But Browner crushed Kearse on the rub, giving Butler a free run at the ball, and Butler (as shown in the article I linked on the last page) is ALREADY moving to jump the route before Lockette even finishes his cut.

Meanwhile, there are 5 Patriots pushing up to the 4-5 yardline with 3 yards minimum of a collapsed pocket, there is a GIGANTIC vacated space in front of Lockette between him and the next closest defender (the middle Linebacker watching marshawn lynch) capable of making any sort of play if Wilson holds it longer, but he goes with a quicker release to where the guy SHOULD be open because they SHOULD have rubbed that dback.

This passing play was one hell of a well designed, well thought out, AND well executed play from Seattle that was simply OUTPLAYED by the Patriots D. As the PFF article says "If ever one play was going to define a Super Bowl this is a pretty fitting one to do so."
yeah I was picturing the replay from Wilson's perspective when I wrote that (where it does kind of look bunched up), but now that I look at it from like, any other angle, you're right

Last edited:

TheValkyries

Jesus H Christ, there was no "bunching up" of dbacks in the middle. They had 7 Dlineman on the field with a man-iso look on the receivers with the only Linebacker going to mirror Lynch's movements.

The Seahawks then trotted out into a shotgun and lined up stacked on the right, which FORCES one dback to play farther back off the line, with then the first Receiver (Kearse) running a "shield" or a "pick" on the Dback who has to track him (Browner) and the backside of the stack (Malcolm Butler). This means Butler was literally 5 yards off of Lockette when Wilson gets the ball, and that was EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED TO SEE ON THAT PLAY. On the other side you have the receiver and the two tight ends vacate out to the left evacuating 3 defenders from the middle off the bat.

But Browner crushed Kearse on the rub, giving Butler a free run at the ball, and Butler (as shown in the article I linked on the last page) is ALREADY moving to jump the route before Lockette even finishes his cut.

Meanwhile, there are 5 Patriots pushing up to the 4-5 yardline with 3 yards minimum of a collapsed pocket, there is a GIGANTIC vacated space in front of Lockette between him and the next closest defender (the middle Linebacker watching marshawn lynch) capable of making any sort of play if Wilson holds it longer, but he goes with a quicker release to where the guy SHOULD be open because they SHOULD have rubbed that dback.

This passing play was one hell of a well designed, well thought out, AND well executed play from Seattle that was simply OUTPLAYED by the Patriots D. As the PFF article says "If ever one play was going to define a Super Bowl this is a pretty fitting one to do so."

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
honestly passing was the correct decision in that situation, they just called a well-read play

look at it like this: one timeout and 26 seconds meant Seattle had two run plays max - but they had three plays if one was a pass. Passing has some downside, but it's essentially the same as the downside to running: either a turnover or a tackle for loss (a sack), which occur at essentially the same percentages for both passing and running at the goal line. Therefore, it seems optimal to actually take your three chances to score as opposed to two; you're playing to win and not to lose, which means you need to score instead of not turn it over. The only argument against passing in that situation involves passing being likely to result in a negative, which seems unlikely given a historical lack of goal-line INTs as well as how hard it is to sack Russell Wilson. I would gone into a power set, faked to Marshawn, and bootlegged with two receivers going high - low in the end zone, giving a pass - run - throwaway option, basically reducing any downsides and having a free play; instead they pulled a well-designed pick play that was defended even more effectively, but in the end they SHOULD HAVE PASSED (either on second or third down)

TheValkyries

As an aside: What Malcolm Butler did for the Patriots in University of Phoenix Stadium.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Brady is the greatest ever for winning games. In a sport where even the quaterback has a small overall impact on the outcome of any given game. Great credentials there.

Wins/losses don't say anything about a quarterback. It's a meaningless stat.
You want meaningful stats? Last two possessions: 13/15, 124 yards, 2 TDs. Against a defense that was looked at as maybe the best of all time. Yeah, you know what you are talking about.

You want meaningful stats? Last two possessions: 13/15, 124 yards, 2 TDs. Against a defense that was looked at as maybe the best of all time. Yeah, you know what you are talking about.
Whats the point of arbitrarily splitting his stats? With your logic I can make most quaterbacks that faced the Hawks look good. But it doesn't end there. Not only did you show bias picking out that a single part of his stats, you're also implying great defenses don't have shitty games. Especially one where all the star players were injured. He had a shitty game. Two drives help his overall performance but it doesn't erase his crappy play throughout the game.

I'm also laughing at the idea that winning a game somehow makes a qb better. They have more impact than any player(usually) sure, but it's laughable to give any single player credit for a win/loss. Winning super bowls doesn't make a qb suddenly better. It's just another game where the qb rarely deserves credit for the result of the game.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Whats the point of arbitrarily splitting his stats? With your logic I can make most quaterbacks that faced the Hawks look good. But it doesn't end there. Not only did you show bias picking out that a single part of his stats, you're also implying great defenses don't have shitty games. Especially one where all the star players were injured. He had a shitty game. Two drives help his overall performance but it doesn't erase his crappy play throughout the game.

I'm also laughing at the idea that winning a game somehow makes a qb better. They have more impact than any player(usually) sure, but it's laughable to give any single player credit for a win/loss. Winning super bowls doesn't make a qb suddenly better. It's just another game where the qb rarely deserves credit for the result of the game.
I think you are applying opposite logic here.
First off, stating that other qbs have been able to do that to the seahawks in the way brady did is incredulous.

Saying that it being the 4th qtr of the super bowl down 10 not being a big deal is even more ridiculous.

Trying to tell me that the rest of his performance was crappy is also out there, although it wasn't his best performance.

Saying that him dismantling the best defense in 30 years in arguably the biggest game hes ever played in the 4th quarter to come back and win a game is insignificant is borderline blasphemy.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
some hero is the greatest troll ever. Despite him posting this stuff for as long as he has, people are STILL drawn into replying to them.

I love it.

and yes I admittedly feed the troll as well

TheValkyries

Anyone who can straight talk the hypocritical doublespeak that some hero spews with no qualms unnerves me.

That kind of resistance to cognitive dissonance takes a remarkable amount of amorality and is the type of shit you see from serial killers.

Is some hero the next Ted Bundy? Who can say...

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
something something good on manziel

People hate [Brady] because he's the best. Not because he's "arrogant" or whatever.
I can hate Brady for being arrogant while at the same time acknowleding that he has every right to be arrogant. I mean, he totally fucking is. But I mostly just "hate" him because I'm a Manning guy and all the Brady guys throw around D3M R1ING$$$ like wins/losses are a fucking QB stat, meanwhile Manning is likely to retire with every good passing record ever (although maybe not after all...) and hey at least he got a ring at all unlike poor ol' Marino. And now I "hate" him more because the slurping is only getting louder and is never going to stop now that he tied Montana's ring count. But I don't really hate Tom Brady himself. Much. I do a little, since he's kind of an arrogant asshole... even if he's earned the right.

Then of course there's the Patriots, which every non-Pats fan is obligated to hate because they've been more successful than every other franchise since the turn of century whether it's the bandwagon or just jealously. I actually like Belichick because he just wants people to leave him the fuck alone so he can get shit done. And he gets shit done.

I agree that rings/wins aren't a good way to judge QBs

but judging them based off stats is equally as bad.

Also The notion of Peyton Manning being a statistically superior QB to Brady is actually somewhat false and can be disproven with some stats and a small level of objective thinking.

Manning led Offenses Throughout his career 27.2 PPG

Brady led Offenses Throughout His career 28.0 PPG

Keep in mind that Manning has Had Decades and Decades Worth of all Pro Talent Compared to Brady. Yet Brady Led offenses are still superior despite Playing with skill position players that are considerably less talented.

Also Keep in Mind that Brady has played Nearly 90% of his games outdoors, in one of the leagues harshest Places to play,

While Manning has played nearly 50% or his career games in a Dome.

There have been 10 Offense in History to Score over 500 Points

5 are quarterbacked by Brady

2 By Manning

Brady Led teams have Topped 500 points in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

Brady Led times also run the ball at the Goal Line considerably more

70.3% of all the TDs scored by Manning teams have come via the pass (521 of 741)
53.1% of all the TDs scored by Brady teams have come via the pass (384 of 588)

Consider How Much Better Brady's stats would be if he threw the ball as much as Manning Does.

Brady has also thrown 377 Tds to 54 different players

Manning has Thrown 513 to 45 different Players

Keep in Mind that Manning has played 3 more season and has changed teams.

Shows How much Brady's receiving core Shifts from year to year.

Its extremely hard to make a case for Manning being superior,

Since Brady CLEARLY Means more to his offense than Manning.

Brady is the single most important offense piece to what has been the league's most dominant offense for about a decade in a half.

All the facts support this.

(these stats are mostly from the mid 2014 season)

I don't think the postseason stats/clutch factor really needs to be addressed either since there's no debate there.

I think Manning is a Top 3 all time QB and I think that the people the criticize him for losing in the
postseason are pretty irrational, but there was absolutely zero case that could have been made for him Being
better than Brady BEFORE Brady won his 4th ring.

Last edited:
I agree that rings/wins aren't a good way to judge QBs
If it was than people would say that Eli is better than Peyton but everyone knows that those super bowl trips were flukes. Only 10-6 and 9-7 respectively. And their victories are even bigger flukes because in 2007 Patriots were perfect until that game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)