Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Hey all, I'm new to competitive battling.
I need help on creating a team for an OU singles battle, since in another forum I'm in a tournament of my clan.
I honestly don't know much at all about competitive battling, so hopefully I could receive help here.

Hey all, I'm new to competitive battling.
I need help on creating a team for an OU singles battle, since in another forum I'm in a tournament of my clan.
I honestly don't know much at all about competitive battling, so hopefully I could receive help here.
There are some cool examples of well-built and original teams here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-workshop-v2-open-read-op.3542464/
Take your pick! If you have a specific core you want to build around they can also help you.

This might sound silly but I'm 100% serious.

Are there any reasons for species clause to exist? I mean, if we assume "X" pokemon is balanced, what wrong is there in repeating it on the same team?

This might sound silly but I'm 100% serious.

Are there any reasons for species clause to exist? I mean, if we assume "X" pokemon is balanced, what wrong is there in repeating it on the same team?
Mostly traditon, it has been enforced since forever even by Game Freak. The implications of a meta without species clause would be quite interesting though, and something I would like to see.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mostly traditon, it has been enforced since forever even by Game Freak. The implications of a meta without species clause would be quite interesting though, and something I would like to see.
Without species clause, you could run one manaphy with hp fire, one with psychic, one with eball, and your opponent would have to kill 3 manaphys instead of 1, and stall would be even more unviable than it was before.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It would probably create a huge shift towards offense since you can literally just run 4+ of the same powerful prio user (think Talonflame or Bisharp) to weaken their (its?) own check, which would make the metagame a lot less varied and fun. To give you a concrete example, Ekiller is completely dominant in AG for the same reasons.

edit : sorta ninja'd by littlelucario

Last edited:
But then that's a problem with "X" pokemon being too threatening (metagame balance). I agree game would become very boring, but stacking pokemon that share the same counter and overloading it is already a viable strategy.

Isn't species clause a way to soften the impact of game imbalances? Am I missing anything?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
But then that's a problem with "X" pokemon being too threatening (metagame balance). I agree game would become very boring, but stacking pokemon that share the same counter and overloading it is already a viable strategy.

Isn't species clause a way to soften the impact of game imbalances? Am I missing anything?
species clause is a standard for official ingame formats as well. Thats really it and we as such abide by this for the sake of simplicity and consistency.

p2

Banned deucer.
Is there a chance that I can see all the Mons who was in the ORAS Metagame in S-Rank? I mean not the actually Mons but in the past.
You would need to go through older VR threads for that.

But iirc S ranks in earlier ORAS included, not all at the same time obviously though: Mega Mence (S+), Greninja, Keldeo, Lando-T, Lando-I, Mega Sableye, Clefable, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Metagross. There was a period where Zard X dropped to A+ and tons of people were pushing Mega Gallade for S for reasons I still don't understand

You would need to go through older VR threads for that.

But iirc S ranks in earlier ORAS included, not all at the same time obviously though: Mega Mence (S+), Greninja, Keldeo, Lando-T, Lando-I, Mega Sableye, Clefable, Mega Lopunny, and Mega Metagross. There was a period where Zard X dropped to A+ and tons of people were pushing Mega Gallade for S for reasons I still don't understand
How did Sableye end up an S-ranker? Was stall that freaking good at one point?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Two pokemon fleggumfl forgot are Thundurus and Latios, who were both S rank in early ORAS (as most of you might remember the OP and Blue S rank)
Mega Sableye was S rank because the metagame wasn't as much prepared for it as it is now. Counters like SD Gliscor, Manaphy and Volcarona almost saw no usage while they are all pretty common nowadays.

I have a question over Mega Gardevoir. I've been using her lately and was wondering, since before you Mega you have trace, on the turn you mega would you also have trace or pixilate? I know speed is changed the turn after but are the abilities? If the former is the case that would make Garde the ultimate troll to weather teams.

p2

Banned deucer.
I have a question over Mega Gardevoir. I've been using her lately and was wondering, since before you Mega you have trace, on the turn you mega would you also have trace or pixilate? I know speed is changed the turn after but are the abilities? If the former is the case that would make Garde the ultimate troll to weather teams.
The ability changes to Pixilate, but if you trace one that boosts speed in weather, you get a 1turn +2 speed boost + Pixilate.

an example of this would be:
t1
non mega gardevoir v mega swampert, rain is up - traces swift swim
t2
mega evolves, keeps swift swim, gains pixilate, outspeeds and hits swampert with hyper voice

It's useful, but Mega Alakazam is usually better for that as it gets to keep the weather ability until it switches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)