SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I imagine the only reason Tierno is in the anime is because the writers wanted to use Shauna as Serena's rival, and it would be weird just to see her and not Tierno/Trevor so they were used too. I always got the feeling XY wasn't going to give Ash a big rival like back in Hoenn...so there's no "main competent rival" like Gary or Paul in this series. He just has friendly rivals.

They tried to make Trip into the next Gary/Paul and everyone disliked him in BW, so they went back to the Hoenn route of giving Ash just side friendly rivals. To be honest following Paul is a hard act to follow so I don't know if Ash will ever have a big rival again. I don't think Alan is collecting badges before anyone asks so I doubt we'll see him in the league.

This is really the first saga where Ash doesn't have a rival mocking him or making him look bad, other than Hoenn where he had no rivals till the league. It feels like the writers want Ash to look really competent in XY especially in front of Serena/Bonnie/Clemont who all look up to him. This is the first time Ash is the oldest of the group and all his companions think he's a hero or awesome or something.

Had Serena seen the way Paul would constantly call Ash pathetic and make him look bad she probably would have had her image of Ash completely shattered.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is Ash the oldest right now? If anything I'd say Ash, Serena, and Clemont were around the same age. That is still different since there was always a definite older character (Brock, Tracey, Brock again, Cilan), but I wouldn't say there's a "mentor" character. Ash, Serena, and Clemont all bring in their own strength which makes up for the lesser of it in the others. Ash is courageous, Serena is kind, and Clemont is intelligent.

Ash is probably intended to be older. For example May and Dawn turned 10 after Ash did, even if Ash doesn't age, he was still "already 10" before May and Dawn were. Serena is probably the same age as Ash given they were the same age in the flashbacks, so I assume she didn't start her journey right away when she turned 10.

A better thing to say is that Ash is the most experienced character on the group for the first time. We always had Brock there forever, then Cilan, and even though Ash was better at battling than either of them, they still had the role of the older more experienced trainer. This is the first time nobody is looking after Ash so to speak, he's taking charge of the group.

Y'know, if they didn't make Trip a little prat, he could have been decent. The problem was that he was the essence of a modern-day instagram addict. Nobody likes instagrammers irl, i don't know what drove them to think putting one in a show would make it any more watchable.

EDIT-I just wanna expand on this a little bit. They could have taken the photography thing and made it more of a passion, like he wants to capture his Pokemon when they're at the peak of their performance and compile it together after he takes on the league, or something, because he wants to remember all the best points of his own adventure for years to come. They could have made it a thing where he doesn't take his camera out when he's battling Ash because he thinks his Pokemon don't need to try very hard against him, and that kind of disrespect could have been a more interesting take than just "I'm recording everything, and according to me the Kanto region is the slums."

Because that just makes him look like an average pompous teenager. Average pompous teenagers aren't watchable, as much as they think they are.

Last edited:
Its kind of funny how Ash's character is slightly altered based on which female companion is traveling with him.

Misty: Ash was portrayed as immature, a newbie and an idiot, but this all made sense since Ash was a beginning trainer at the time. So its understandable

May: Ash is portrayed as more mature and competent around May, but he still had a temper and lost his patience often. Ash in Hoenn was like a mix of what he was in Kanto/Johto and what he'd eventually become in DP. I also like how Hoenn is the first time Ash actually tries to help one of his female companions who is just a beginner for the first time. Ash still loses his patience with May sometimes and they argue a bit but less than Ash/Misty. Ash is more or less portrayed as a big brother to May, similar to what Brock was to Ash.

Dawn: Ash is portrayed as very mature and competent, Dawn is almost treated like his twin sister or something. Most of Ash's anger in this series is directed to Paul or Hunter J. Ash and Dawn argue a little bit, but not as much as past girls. He also trains with Dawn a lot more than any other character.

Iris: Ash becomes an idiot again for no reason. Iris constantly mocks him and calls him a kid. Ash is reset for the first time and loses most of his skill from DP and prior. Iris is viewed as Ash's superior the entire saga.

Serena: To Serena, Ash is her knight in shining armor. All of a sudden Ash is mature, competent and heroic again, and Serena thinks he's amazing and that he can do no wrong. Serena practically worships the ground Ash walks on, and to this day she's never had an argument with him. Even May and Dawn called Ash out several times when he was doing something stupid or bickered with him, but Serena doesn't do any of that because she idolizes him. She practically admits to wanting to be his wife. Bonnie/Clemont are also amazed by Ash as well.

Its rather funny that depending on what character trope the writers give the female who travels with him, Ash's character has to be altered to fit whatever female lead he's with. For example Kanto or BW Ash wouldn't work with Serena. If Serena saw how Ash was when he was a rookie she probably wouldn't even like him.

Ah, so that's who Squishy is. I was wondering what that meant in the episode title, "Episode 898: Hot-blooded Quilladin! Squishy is Being Targeted!!" (Serebii.net)

Also, something about a Quilladin? I wonder whose Quilladin that is? If it turns out to be Clemont's Chespin evolving, I wonder if it'll have mobility issues similar to Ash's Turtwig when it initially evolved into Grotle.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ah, so that's who Squishy is. I was wondering what that meant in the episode title, "Episode 898: Hot-blooded Quilladin! Squishy is Being Targeted!!" (Serebii.net)

Also, something about a Quilladin? I wonder whose Quilladin that is? If it turns out to be Clemont's Chespin evolving, I wonder if it'll have mobility issues similar to Ash's Turtwig when it initially evolved into Grotle.
According to Serebii it's a wild Quilladin.

According to Serebii it's a wild Quilladin.
Hmmm. Perhaps they'll do a thing where Clemont's Chespin has to evolve in order to protect Squishy?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Recently the anime kind of likes "spoiling" the evolutions of the starters way before Ash & co. have their starters evolve. Ignoring the movies in the anime we've seen all of Fennekin's and Froakie's evolutions before they evolved themselves. So I doubt Clemont's Chespin will evolve just yet.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Just watched this week's raw.
Seems that Smoochum having a crush towards Pancham is going to be a recurring gag. (So as Nini pretending to be a pretty girl despite she's ugly as fuck)
Tierno has a crush on Serena, confirmed.
Meowth VS Sneasel was funny. Nice to see some love towards Sneasel.

Olympia will be in next episode. And she really is psychic in the anime-- she can self levitate, at least.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
https://twitter.com/karubiimunomono/status/656361625037856768

Mega Audino will appear in December 11
Then Litleo and Pyroaor will appear in the next episode after that.
Um, what about Zygarde 50% and the Team Flare Scientist (looks to be the Mable. "Who?". The blue haired one. "I vaguely remember what she looks like...". The one encountered in Frost Cavern trying to catch the Abomasnow and the one to ask whether you were alone or not in Lysandre Lab. "Oh, her") on the side over there?

Cresselia~~

Um, what about Zygarde 50% and the Team Flare Scientist (looks to be the Mable. "Who?". The blue haired one. "I vaguely remember what she looks like...". The one encountered in Frost Cavern trying to catch the Abomasnow and the one to ask whether you were alone or not in Lysandre Lab. "Oh, her") on the side over there?
Text only says something like "mysterious Pokemon discovered, hence a whole new series!" "Miraculous birth of zygarde".
Didn't mention the Team Flare bit.

Prediction for the Anime:

Clemont: Now I see it! He's is trying to challenge Zygarde into taking Pikachu's attack!
Bonnie: That's a nice explanation, how about this one: Ash has completely lost his mind and he's going to fry us all!
Serena: You're going to destroy the whole planet, Ash! You've got to stop it!
Clemont: Serena, let's go!
Ash: THUNDERBOLT!
Pikachu: RAAGGHH!!!
Zygarde: Oh sh*t!

Pikachu's Thunderbolt crashes past Zygarde, visible from outer space as it races off out of the solar system.

Apparently, The Pewter City Gym rules still apply just to Pikachu. It even worked against Blaine's Rhydon.
He also beat Pryce's Piloswine. And Roxanne's Geodude. And Roark's Onix. Generally, he usually does this against various Ground-Types by point-blank shooting them.

However, consider how Pikachu fought against opponents such as Winona's Pelipper, Wallace's Seaking, Crasher Wake's Floatzel and others. It's generally Water-Types that give it more trouble than Ground-Types do.

Cresselia~~

He also beat Pryce's Piloswine. And Roxanne's Geodude. And Roark's Onix. Generally, he usually does this against various Ground-Types by point-blank shooting them.

However, consider how Pikachu fought against opponents such as Winona's Pelipper, Wallace's Seaking, Crasher Wake's Floatzel and others. It's generally Water-Types that give it more trouble than Ground-Types do.
I wish the anime could be more accurate when it comes to type effectiveness

For Roxanne and Roark, he specifically used Iron Tail ! :)
And he officially draws with Pryce, but in fact, he was losing, Pikachu has almost been defeated by Piloswine.

He also get stomped by Dugtrio in Hoenn League.

For Roxanne and Roark, he specifically used Iron Tail ! :)
And he officially draws with Pryce, but in fact, he was losing, Pikachu has almost been defeated by Piloswine.

He also get stomped by Dugtrio in Hoenn League.
He did finish off Geodude with Thunderbolt.

Also, to be exact, Pikachu was indeed losing, but it was a legitimate win for Ash because Pryce forfeited.

I want to point out that Paul in DP used mons against Roark that had a type disadvantage because they had other beneficial traits to them (Elekid had Static + Brick Break, for instance). Speaking of Roark, he also has a minor screw-the-rules moment as his Cranidos' Mold Breaker prevented it from being paralyzed by Static.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)