SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I don't mind that there's some elaboration on character traits in the anime (like with Koga) or believable extensions based on what the character does (like with Blaine). In the case of Sabrina, Lorelei, Jasmine, Colress and others, it's a completely different character disguised as the original.

Expanding on gym leaders would be much welcome too, especially when you consider one of XY's main flaws, game-wise, is how the NPCs don't have TOO much to their personality. So them doing anything at all, even if it's an arc about them, would be nice for the fans who would like to see their favorite characters have stuff to them, rather than being brushed aside in both the games and the anime.

Ok, so in last week's episode, they established what the two ZygCores were up to. CoroCoro has given us a little more context.

The red one is being puppyguarded by the main cast, while the blue one is in 50% form presently. Which I guess mean that at least one core can manage 50% on its own.

That Hoopa movie. There is so much stuff left unexplained. Why were Groudon and Kyogre primal all of sudden? How could Latios, Latias and Rayquaza mega evolve? Tomioka usually writes the best episodes with the best battles, yet the movie felt rushed as heck and the battle was a massive disappointment in my opinion. It felt as if he had the right idea but was forced to cut a lot of scenes, and the animation made the battle look weak.

Wasted potential: The movie

Kinda moving the topic away from the current anime, but this has been on my mind for a while.

I really dislike the B/W anime in general.

There are too many things I disliked. The rivals were horrible. Trip is honestly my least favorite Pokemon character ever. I didn't like Iris' portrayal and how she always said "you're such a little kid" or something along those lines. Cilan was a bad attempt at trying to be Brock. I did like the arcs with Team Plasma, however. There was lots of bs in the Unova League (seriously, Cameron?). I don't really know anyone who likes that anime.

The BW arc has been discussed to death, it was supposed to be a reboot of the anime but it was poorly done. Cilan was an improvement over DP Brock at least, and there are fans of the saga on tumblr. I do think the Don battle tournaments were the best thing to come from that arc, and some of the individual pokemon on the group were enjoyable even if they weren't handled well.

Then again every saga of the anime has its own individual flaws. I feel like each saga does something better and something worse than all the others.

What I really wanna know is how the hell can Hoopa summon other legendaries that are far stronger than him. (Actually I haven't watched the movie yet but so far I heard that's what hoopa is doing). I also heard about Arceus appearing. Did he appear? or did Hoopa summon him? And if so how is that possible?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The power of screenwriting, the Anthropic Principal, and/or the MST3K Mantra. Basically there isn't a good reason for why he can, but there would be no plot of he didn't so don't question it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the Hoopa movie yet, but I doubt its any worse than some of the past movies. They've made 18 pokemon movies now, of course they're run out of things to do.

I sort of felt they used up all their movie idea plots by the 10th movie, which was the first DP one about Darkrai. Now all the movies are basically remixes of the Kanto/Johto or AG movies with slight alterations.

Reactions: JES
I haven't seen the Hoopa movie yet, but I doubt its any worse than some of the past movies. They've made 18 pokemon movies now, of course they're run out of things to do.

I sort of felt they used up all their movie idea plots by the 10th movie, which was the first DP one about Darkrai. Now all the movies are basically remixes of the Kanto/Johto or AG movies with slight alterations.
Most of the movies were horrible to be honest and felt like rehashes of each other, just with different mons.

Looks like the next episode of the anime is going to have Ash's Frogadier evolve into Greninja, and then possibly even further into Ash-Greninja in the same episode...?

Okay so Ash-Greninja is actually really cool in terms of its concept, it's not just a pseudo-mega evolution but actually allows Ash to see what Greninja sees on top of hurting him when Greninja gets injured. It's more like a synchro evolution, hence the Ash-Greninja moniker. Still kind of dumb and I'm certain it's ripping off something else (amusingly enough I first thought of Evangelion when I saw it, but maybe it's digimon instead?) but it's better than just being some generic powerup that should've been a mega evolution...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay so Ash-Greninja is actually really cool in terms of its concept, it's not just a pseudo-mega evolution but actually allows Ash to see what Greninja sees on top of hurting him when Greninja gets injured. It's more like a synchro evolution, hence the Ash-Greninja moniker. Still kind of dumb and I'm certain it's ripping off something else (amusingly enough I first thought of Evangelion when I saw it, but maybe it's digimon instead?) but it's better than just being some generic powerup that should've been a mega evolution...
Hmm, I think in the 3rd season of Digimon (Digimon Tamers) the kids (at least the main three; Takato, Rika, & Henry) were at some point able to see and feel what their Digimon were (I think it was before they completely fused with their Digimon). Also I think a few Shadow Games in Yu-Gi-Oh! had the duelist get injured when their monster was destroyed and they lost life points.

Oh, and goodbye Mega Charizard Y/Mega Sceptile, because Arceus forbid Ash getting something that's actually in the games (and for Charizard make sense for him getting it back as well as having Alain have a Mega Charizard X).

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Is it ok for them to rip off Digimon like this?
Oh well... Yokai Watch is similar to Pokemon anyway, and Nintendo gave them a yes.

Karxrida

It also sounds like Full Synchro from Mega Man Battle Network.

I'm curious to see how this will translate into game mechanics (assuming this isn't just more anime BS).

Karxrida

Full Synchro doesn't involve fusion in the manga (and anime?) outside of a specific story arc. Not sure about the games since I've only played 5, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve fusion in any of them.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Full Synchro doesn't involve fusion in the manga (and anime?) outside of a specific story arc. Not sure about the games since I've only played 5, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve fusion in any of them.
In the anime I remember Len fusing with Megaman at some points to take on Net Navi's that use a hologram projector to appear in the real world. The exact details are fuzzy. However if they're also a second function of them just linking minds and damage gone to Megaman is done to Len then that would count. Actually sort of sounds a bit like the Matrix, with your body making injuries happening in the virtual world real.

Pretty sure it's a Full Synchro / Hub.bat rip-off ( It's from MegaMan Battle Network )

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
SPOILERS

43:17 Serena's Eevee will evolve into Sylveon.

44:22 Giovanni will appear in the series soon.

45:48 Alan will fight Ash.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
SPOILERS

43:17 Serena's Eevee will evolve into Sylveon.

44:22 Giovanni will appear in the series soon.

45:48 Alan will fight Ash.
Other things I noticed:

Looks like the there's going to be some kind of Pokemon Showcase formal shindig but I don't think its a Pokemon Showcase since there's no audience and there's a Double Battle. Anyway at some point everyone's ballroom dancing as Ash is dancing with Miette (with Pikachu being swung around by her Slurpuff) and Serena dancing with Clemont. However during the Double Battle its Ash & Serena vs. Miette (and some other guy, I don't think its Clemont). Also Monsieur Pierre please don't dance with Aria like that, it's a bit creepy.

Team Rocket I'm guessing makes friends with the blue Zygarde Core and looks like we're going to get a awesome and competent battle between them and the Team Flare scientists as they protect the blue Zygarde Core from them (with an awesome scene of Wobbuffet deflecting back a Dragon Rage(?)!). Also Alain looks like he's going to be joining Team Flare.

As expected, Ash-Greninja looks like Ash's answer to Mega Evolution as its able to take on Mega Charizard X. *sigh* Because I guess Mega Charizard vs. Mega Charizard was too awesome of an idea and in the Pokemon anime we can't very well have that...

And Lysandre grabbing onto a Gyaradosite... which isn't all that surprising since he uses a Mega Gyarados in the game.

Karxrida

I can't see Ash coming out on top in that fight, especially after the revelation on how Greninja's new form(e) works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)