Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Heck, you could take it a step farther and say that it's been the model since Japanese Blue.
Come to think about it closer, actually I think it's more like since Platinum. The games didn't have much in the way of Internet capabilities before the DS era, so issuing patches wouldn't have been feasible.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
If DLC is ever introduced it'll be for very minor things (like new clothing) and maybe adding in new side quests (which would reuse a lot of game assets). I don't think they'll ever release a new Pokemon via DLC, it would be an interesting idea but I think GF would prefer to keep any new Pokemon for the next gen (though that doesn't mean they can't release a new Mega or alternate form). However what I NEVER want to see be done, and I think GF would agree with me on this, is making you pay for the sole purpose of getting a Pokemon. I feel that goes against the very core concept of the franchise, it'll feel like you're paying to win.

Now some may say those who have easy access to the internet or stores where events are being held have an advantage over players who don't. While a bit true, the difference is that ANYONE who access to the internet or stores where events are being held can get the event Pokemon. However not a lot of people either have the extra money nor would want to spend the money just to get a Pokemon even if its a Mythical, Legendary, or Shiny. On the same vain I would also say new side quests shouldn't cost any money either, those would be made to extend the game's life span thus if you bought the game you should be allowed to get the DLC without having to pay anything extra.

The only DLC I can see them charging for is new clothes. Clothes are an optional thing (you know what I mean) and, unlike side quests which can reuse assets, would require new models and textures to be added thus being more effort to make. That said, think of all the neat DLC clothing they can do? Clothes of previous Rivals, Gym Leaders, Elite Four Champion, Frontier Brains, Villain Teams, and other important NPCs. But why stop there? How about clothes from other popular Nintendo franchises? GF could even do promotional stuff by having clothes based on upcoming Nintendo games.

If DLC is ever introduced it'll be for very minor things (like new clothing) and maybe adding in new side quests (which would reuse a lot of game assets). I don't think they'll ever release a new Pokemon via DLC, it would be an interesting idea but I think GF would prefer to keep any new Pokemon for the next gen (though that doesn't mean they can't release a new Mega or alternate form). However what I NEVER want to see be done, and I think GF would agree with me on this, is making you pay for the sole purpose of getting a Pokemon. I feel that goes against the very core concept of the franchise, it'll feel like you're paying to win.

Now some may say those who have easy access to the internet or stores where events are being held have an advantage over players who don't. While a bit true, the difference is that ANYONE who access to the internet or stores where events are being held can get the event Pokemon. However not a lot of people either have the extra money nor would want to spend the money just to get a Pokemon even if its a Mythical, Legendary, or Shiny. On the same vain I would also say new side quests shouldn't cost any money either, those would be made to extend the game's life span thus if you bought the game you should be allowed to get the DLC without having to pay anything extra.

The only DLC I can see them charging for is new clothes. Clothes are an optional thing (you know what I mean) and, unlike side quests which can reuse assets, would require new models and textures to be added thus being more effort to make. That said, think of all the neat DLC clothing they can do? Clothes of previous Rivals, Gym Leaders, Elite Four Champion, Frontier Brains, Villain Teams, and other important NPCs. But why stop there? How about clothes from other popular Nintendo franchises? GF could even do promotional stuff by having clothes based on upcoming Nintendo games.
This is what we thought would happen in XY and/or Z, and now look at where we are, lol...

There are many legitimate reasons.
One of them being that the develops would be much more inclined to adopt a "this is the last game in the franchise, let's go all out and make this the best we possibly can" attitude rather than "alright, let's make another one." Such an attitude has been used by Sakurai to create all the Super Smash Bros games, and was used in the creation of Fire Emblem Awakening because the development team legitimately did think it was their last one - and as a result it turned out to be the best selling game in the franchise to the point of the series getting renewed.
To give a much more cynical reason, Game Freak does the exact same thing every gen so it'd be nice if this was the last time we had to spend money on the exact same thing.

Not necessarily opinions I embody - though while I was typing the former it does incline me towards the idea - but just possibilities.
I agree, that is one of the reasons. But I also don't mind new regions, and new people, new story, but reusing pokemon, with of course, making 12 new pokemon: the startes evo ad the three legends

Also, HAs anyone tried darkening the corocoro scans to see the full box art?

To my knowledge, they weren't found until now. They were only made public by a Twitter bot announcing the registration of possibly hundreds of trademarks per week, whose company had very little connection to Nintendo or Game Freak. There must have been some fan who stumbled across it and decided to take a closer look. As for why we think they are cover legends, the names appear to be made to work in a variety of languages, which is the usual style for legendaries. The names also reflect on Sol (sun) and Luna (moon). It's not confirmation, but the clues all point in the same direction.
not to mention that the person who put the trademarks is a random lawyer

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect that Nintendo introduce new contents in pokemon via DLC, in pokemon Sun and Moon.

What I've looked at some posts was the insatisfation with pokemon series cause the "same role story", "the evil team chasing the legendaries", "the gym after gym pathway". I don't think Nintendo will change the formula of Pokemon series (like they almost did at Pokemon Colosseum/XD) or do the MMORPG (like they promised to do with Zelda WiiU). They could add new contents once a month or periodically; a new pokemon, a new ability for and old' mon, new region or island or even a new side-story!

Everytime you beat the pokemon league there are some contents, like the Battle Tower, frontier, or Delta Episode. But those are minors and with a couple hours you can finish it. After that, you get stuck with breeding, shiny hunt, battle spot. The metagame will always have the same threats, the same pokemon roles. It gets predictable (Yes, IT DOES, the rank S and A of any metagame will be the almost the same until the next generation).

Now imagine this situation: You are like at 6th Gym and then (POW!) nintendo introduces a new pokemon to be found in the wild and no one was knowing it. The expected reaction from most players is: stop the common story and let's hunt that new pokemon! I would do that, of course. Then the smogon community will start to discuss the potential roles of this new pokemon, to OU? to VGC? to UU? defensive, offense? Mixed? Nintendo then, would accomplish what they wanted: using the same pokemon formula, but taking it attention because of the introduction of new contents (the introduction of Volcanion, Hoopa and Diance are examples of this). Now, imagine the potential with a new city, or a new side-story? It would make the game more versatile, flexible. Not the same tedious path.

Of course, I'm not taking account if all this will have a price. Nintendo could estipulate a price the new region dlc, with a couple dollars. 0,99$ for the new pokemon? I don't know. Or even this is possible (laughs). Otherwise, I would be very happy. It will make the game more playable in a lively mood.
Ignoring the fact that I'm sure they know the riots that would ensue from such a decision... It doesn't fit anything that Gamefreak has stated about their vision for Pokemon. At all. Pokemon is supposed to be about the spirit of adventure, of making friends and striving to be the best. Nickel and diming the fanbase for the ability to get new pokemon is far from what Pokemon is about.

Plus the situation about the random pokemon being added to catch... In a way Smogon OU is kinda going through that right now with Volcanion (and went through that with Hoopa) in that discussions are being had about how to best utilize it. And will probably continue for a few weeks before the hype and meta settles down (doubtful that Volcanion will need to get suspect tested) because that is kind of how it goes.

Your situation with the pokemon being released in the wild during the middle of your playthrough would not do much to change that: either people will datamine the details (like we did with Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, and the ORAS megas) and discuss it for a couple of weeks before moving on... or the community will get to spend a couple of weeks collecting stat data and testing egg moves in lieu of hacking into the game to find all that out immediately. Then discuss it for a couple of weeks before moving on. The latter (unfortunately) seems less likely in this day and age since people have figured out how to take the games apart to look for that sort of thing. (It was, what, 2 months? 3? After XY dropped to figure that out?)

They've been doing DLC pokemon this way since Gen 1. That's how Mew Did it. That's how Jirachi is doing it this month... And it's worked out pretty well so far. I am sure they're going to go by the old addage "If it ain't broken... Don't fix it." for the DLC pokemon.

Nintendo's been making dlc for a lot of its games recently so I won't be surprised if S&M has some sort of dlc.

Who said the dlc had to be paid though? I would actually love it if nintendo made free dlc for the "secret" legendaries. People knew of volcanion's existence 3 years before it's release! Where's the fun in that??

Making dlc for those legends would alleviate that problem and people would actually give a shit about legendary Pokemon announcements.

Nintendo's been making dlc for a lot of its games recently so I won't be surprised if S&M has some sort of dlc.

Who said the dlc had to be paid though? I would actually love it if nintendo made free dlc for the "secret" legendaries. People knew of volcanion's existence 3 years before it's release! Where's the fun in that??

Making dlc for those legends would alleviate that problem and people would actually give a shit about legendary Pokemon announcements.
they do
its called mystery gift

they do
its called mystery gift
Dlc is a new content added to a game that wasnt previously packed in game, like adding the new character in super smash bros. Mystery gift (at present) gives a pokemon or item that already was packed during the development, like volcanion, hoopa, whose already was know before their official release.

I might be wrong, can some1 confirm it? Thks.

Dlc is a new content added to a game that wasnt previously packed in game, like adding the new character in super smash bros. Mystery gift (at present) gives a pokemon or item that already was packed during the development, like volcanion, hoopa, whose already was know before their official release.

Nah, you're correct.

they do
its called mystery gift
how in the fk is mystery gift dlc?

Did mystery gift stop the hackers from finding out about all the legends in XY? "Oh no guys, we gotta wait for the mystery gifts to come out before we hack the shit outta the game!"

Mystery gift just gives u a pokemon already in the files. Dlc gives you an entirely new pokemon that didn't exist in the files.

how in the fk is mystery gift dlc?

Did mystery gift stop the hackers from finding out about all the legends in XY? "Oh no guys, we gotta wait for the mystery gifts to come out before we hack the shit outta the game!"

Mystery gift just gives u a pokemon already in the files. Dlc gives you an entirely new pokemon that didn't exist in the files.
Well, it's a question on philosophy. Do you consider on-the-cart DLC DLC? In most of those cases, the DLC is an unlock code that you get. In this case it's generating you a Pokemon for the cartridge.

People found out about other DLCs long before they came out since they were all on the cart or at least their exclusive rewards and stuff were.

I prefer having them already on the cart. Mostly since there is an anticipation factor. It was fun waiting for them to finally release Arceus in Gen IV, for example. Gives us something to look forward to between games.

There's something unsatisfactory for me when it comes to gift Pokemon. I think its a lot more fun when they have a designated area to catch them like New Moon Island/Tin Tower/Unknown Dungeon etc. Was always hoping that the Power Plant in Kalos was going to end up a place in the hypothetical Z version where you catch Volcanion.

I know I'm probably going to get swarmed by people saying they want the game easier, but when things are just handed to you like that it removes a lot of the allure of legendary pokemon. Even though I personally never got to experience it, having the Faraway Island encounter with Mew / Ilex Shrine encounter with Celebi always seemed like great ideas. At least we got to fight Deoxys in space.

Actually, I think that'd be the perfect way to do DLC in Pokémon and would be a great compromise between the two sides above.
Add in a completely new area in-game through DLC that wasn't on the cart previously that holds the Pokémon and maybe an item or two that were on the cart previously, but had no way to get them before. That means it'd be something new that wouldn't affect multiplayer at all but would be a really cool thing; imagine Liberty Island, New Moon Island, Southern Island (WOW they used a lot of islands for these) but they weren't on the cart before. Would be hella

... this is starting to be wishlisting isn't it

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Nah, you're correct.
I'd like to point out that, no, this is not correct with the current model of "Downloadable Content" distribution - companies have been loop-holing/abusing gray areas of this concept for a long time now - well over a decade nearing ~12-13 years on consoles and close to 20 via computer (MMO's). By definition this is how DLC's are supposed to work. In practice, DLC's range from new content added to the game that was not previously written in the base code or content that is available in the game hard coded in, but deactivated or inaccessible until they give you the means to activate it.

The most notable examples of this are companies that include Day 1 DLC's for their releases. Often times what they're advertising as DLC content available on the day of the games release is simply content hidden in the coding from the consumer for one reason or another: time restraints, publisher persuasion, greed, etc. However, I don't count mangled assets and leftovers thrown on the back-end that may or may not become fleshed out ideas later on in this since those are just materials.

The easiest example to portray of Day 1 DLC content going wrong and the most obvious would be Mass Effect 3's From the Ashes DLC. This DLC was included in the collectors edition of the game for "free", but standard copies of the game had to purchase the DLC as a standalone on release day. Available March 6, 2012 - the first day of the game's release, but able to be purchased (accidentally) from February 21, 2012 due to an error from Microsoft. It was obvious to many that it contained data, characters and scenes that belonged in the game itself. It didn't feel like an addition, it didn't play like additional content and the way the characters interacted certainly didn't portray a "new feeling", but that is all anecdotal regardless of how obvious it is. The data for the From the Ashes DLC's arguably main selling point to customers, finally have a Prothean character to play and interact with after two games of backstory on them, were available within the base code of Mass Effect 3's discs.

To make matters worse retrieving the bulk of the supposed DLC was as simple as accessing the Coalesced.bin and essentially changing one line of code that boils down to "character unavailable" to "character available". You paid an extra $10, ~£8-9 or ~8,50 € day one or via purchase of collectors edition just for the off switch to be turned on (may be slightly off, don't remember 2012 currency weights). There are some notable additions made via the DLC some weapons, alternate clothing and some mission parameters, but the character itself was already hard coded in - lines of dialogue and interactions included. To which was denied for a long time, but it is what it is. This is quite common and rarely caught by many people. It also doesn't truly matter if it's discovered or not because many people will still inevitably buy it further perpetuating the problem.

Mystery Gift's are a form of DLC. They're by no means a pretty representation of what they should be in practice, but they are DLC. Having the code on the cartridge makes little difference: what makes the difference is when they'll let you legally activate the code they hid or switched off. Ignoring the need to purchase items, movie tickets, factoring in gas to drive wherever to pick up codes and such: at least mystery gift's are free, but they are advertisement in an attempt to get consumers to purchase merchandise from stores, attend movies (shiny Arceus 'gambling' event for Movie 18) at least in Japan they are a prominent form of it. I'll leave the North America/Europe event distribution representation argument out of this.

Edit: The reason they use this method is a logical one however annoying it may be. The option would be between barring the use of the DLC/Mystery Gift Pokemon online (which they have done before) or having to patch them into the game each time/make it mandatory to patch the game before being able to connect online in-game. Had the code for these unreleased events not been on cartridge, the hackers and editors that had access to them before release would have a wider accessibility to disrupting other players online in battles and trades. Which could range anywhere from corrupting save-data because the unpatched game cannot comprehend the data that simply doesn't exist (unless it defaults to a bad egg) to automatically disconnecting when the Pokemon is put into battle against someone who did not patch the game.

Monster Hunter also abuses this method of DLC access for those who have played the most current iterations of that long standing series which also suffers the same problems Pokemon and many others, "Improve a few tidbits here and there once every couple years, make a decently sized improvement, gimmick or expansion for a game or two, return to improving a few tidbits here and there - slowly - every couple years. While having a generally consistent staff on sound, audio, music detail that produce good results" before anyone mentions it - I do love both series' and others that fall pray to this cycle very much, but it has slowly turned from excitement to obligation (go with the flow, enjoy it for what it is) in terms of purchasing the newest games.

Expansion packs fall into the same problem as DLC's do now-a-days as well. Long gone are the days when expansion packs gave you a whole new spin on a game, new mechanics, re-balancing or the fleshing out of the story. In fact, DLC and expansion packs became an amalgamation as well as overpriced "map packs". Good Expansion Packs/DLC's still exist, Red Dead Redemptions: Undead Nightmare is a decent example of the fused categories.

Cosmetic additions and subsequent purchase are also decent features since they are additional code at best and fleshed out extra/unused assets at worst. New areas, sub-stories, ...Battle Tower ... are all also acceptable by true definition of DLC. Sorry, not much interested in speculation - I just wanted to clear this up.

Last edited:
Moving on from semantics discussions on the definition of DLC, I noticed something about our only confirmed new pokemon, Magearna.

While I don't hate the pokemon, I do find something way too familiar about it's design, and not just as a Diancie clone either. It was in the back of mind scratching there, unable to form the answer.

Then we got the newest trailer, which showed this scene (and again in the outtake):

Sorry for the bottom text, but I want you to focus on what Magearna is holding.

And well,

Heading off any cries of "rip off," nihil sub sole novum. It's more a homage than anything.

I have to say that Magearna being a weak preview is nothing new to me - most preview Pokémon to the next Generation were like that to me, mainly because they hardly do anything interesting. Marill is an unremarkable water-type, Togepi is just eye candy, Lugia did nothing but get captured, I missed Blaziken, Lucario doesn't even appear, the Gen 4 babies were as uninteresting as Togepi...

The only thing I expect out of Magearna is a mediocre signature move (although Diancie's was pretty okay) - not that it matters much because mythicals don't get any significance anymore.

So far the only significant news is that you can use RBY mons in Sun&Moon.

It was announced today that the NX will be launching in March 2017, but apparently won't be shown at E3. Instead they will focus fairly heavily on the next Zelda game, which will be a launch title for the NX, with rumors being that it will be the only playable title at E3.

Suddenly I am getting the feeling that E3 won't exactly be the information bonanza that we hope it will be... But reckon we will have to wait, neh?

Well, we still weren't sure what the NX really was. I was still certain it was the next console with the 3DS continuing its thing for now. So we might see news as Sun and Moon would be big news for handheld gaming.

you know at this point it sorta feels like the gen 1 to gen 2 in between time were we knew a new set of games were coming but the info on the new games themselves was pretty sparse.

although with the internet and more reliable translations it's it's not going to be the same though.

although seriously anyone at the advertising should had seen this reaction coming with how much info they gave out before Gen 6 was released compared to what has been released about gen 7.

so pretty much to make up for it to me there better be a massive dump of info next time some pre-release info comes.

Last edited:
Nintendo tweeted the NX announcement at like 1 a.m. pacific time and they're delaying LoZ til then. The company seems to be having a lot of difficulty with marketing right now. Adding to what we've experienced with Z/S&M, it seems like they're directionless. I don't know if their financial problems are affecting the marketing department because they are opting to spend money on game development instead but something feels wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)