The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as i loved nagi and shirobako, i actually didnt like episode 1 of hanairo at all, and besides i dont know if i can trust pa works after charlotte. i'll probably pick up kuromukuro after exams though since reviews are tentatively positive.

edit: while im here i may as well ask a question. after exams im getting together with some friends. they don't have a stigma against anime, but one of em gave NGNL a 10 on his MAL so thats the sort of taste im working with. is it a good idea to run through mayoiga with them? im going in blind so im trusting your judgment.
Charlotte's mess of writing wasn't exclusively on PA Works. It was also, arguably primarily, on Jun Maeda and his scriptwriting, as well as the production committee that decided on a single cour rather than two cours.

And giving NGNL a 10 is definitely a sign that someone is very new to the medium and hasn't had a chance to see much else, and also may have a shorter attention span for anything with more substance.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Ace Attorney show is really perplexing, because the stuff that happens outside of the courtroom is phenomenal, and the stuff that happens in it is really shit. I just hope that in the really important cases that the drama from outside carries inside the courtroom and you can forgive that it's like reading gamefaqs instead of playing the game.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
It was also, arguably primarily, on Jun Maeda and his scriptwriting, as well as the production committee that decided on a single cour rather than two cours.
I hate when people say this. You don't make something as much of a complete fucking mess as charlotte if you're at all a competent writer. If it was two cour it would still suck absolute ass it'd just cost twice as much to make, so it's a good thing it wasn't. Clannad apologists may say that Clannad worked and was two cour but that's because 1) Jun Maeda only made the VN and had little to do with the making of the anime 2) you probably overrate clannad. He's a terrible writer.

the comment about not being able to trust PA works after charlotte was kind of a joke, but I am going to wait until after exams end to pick up Kuromukuro. Which at this point is 4 days from now.

I hate when people say this. You don't make something as much of a complete fucking mess as charlotte if you're at all a competent writer. If it was two cour it would still suck absolute ass it'd just cost twice as much to make, so it's a good thing it wasn't. Clannad apologists may say that Clannad worked and was two cour but that's because 1) Jun Maeda only made the VN and had little to do with the making of the anime 2) you probably overrate clannad. He's a terrible writer.

the comment about not being able to trust PA works after charlotte was kind of a joke, but I am going to wait until after exams end to pick up Kuromukuro. Which at this point is 4 days from now.
Setting aside whether I have given Clannad a higher rating than it deserves, Jun Maeda's strength is in VN writing where he can get a whole arc dedicated to a character. Charlotte and Angel Beats!, both being works of his that are blasted for their haphazard pacing, were written as original storylines for 12 episode cours. The adaptations for Little Busters! and Clannad, both based off of VNs he worked on with Key, take more than one cour and actually bother to take their time introducing you to each character, giving each character their own arc for their backstory, rather than trying to cram plotlines down your throat and shoehorn in the main storyline, or vice versa.

That said, nearly every recent notable original anime I can think of (and that I have seen) has some flaw with the writing or pacing due to being compacted to 12 episodes. I will admit to not having seen a whole lot of this season's originals yet, so the verdict is still out on those as far as I am concerned, though the one I have seen (Kiznaiver) has me worried about its pacing given the planned length for it.

I'm really enjoying Gundam Unicorn

it's somewhat difficult to recommend since it assumes you have a lot of investment in the UC timeline of the early Gundams (which I don't, the only ones that I've seen are the three original movies, which weren't very good) but it still stands pretty strong on its own and the production values are great.

Maeda is a pretty talented guy (especially considering that he's KEY's best composer on top of being their best writer) but he's incredibly inconsistent and even when he does something good like Clannad AS or the last parts of LB he has a bad habit of screwing it up a couple steps down the road. I still kinda liked Charlotte, it's one of those rare anime that I enjoy both ironically and normally but unlike, say, Cross Ange, it didn't feel intentional

also pretty much every writer on KEY that's not Maeda is pretty bad. Rewrite has Romeo as the main writer instead of Maeda though and it's probably the best KEY thing, hoping the anime turns out well.

Asek

Banned deucer.
If u not watching mayoiga u a little pussy. Shit revolutionising anime. Get on dat gooood shit whilst it's still airing

Jun meads is a talentless hack... That guy just appeals to no social life weeaboo losers w. His shitty content less scripts writing,,, more happens in an ep of bold and the beautiful than happens in a whole season of Jun maeda writen show

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
If u not watching mayoiga u a little pussy. Shit revolutionising anime. Get on dat gooood shit whilst it's still airing

Jun meads is a talentless hack... That guy just appeals to no social life weeaboo losers w. His shitty content less scripts writing,,, more happens in an ep of bold and the beautiful than happens in a whole season of Jun maeda writen show
dont mock Jun Maeda, this guy has created a masterpiece of japanese animation, the great and beautiful angel beats

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
just wondering, but why do people detest angel beats so much o.o like i don't personally like it, i gave it a 4 or a 5 (and this is coming from a dude who had sao as like a 7 at one time and has ngnl as a 9 so my taste is p bad) but like i see it universally hated and can't really get why. It seems like the type of stuff that hardcore anime nerds would really enjoy, it is all soppy and sad, has a p good soundtrack (crow song is my jam) and has some sort of character development as well as animated well. its also not really all that harem so idgi oo

is there like something i'm missing about it? I'm genuinely curious, bc i gave it a low score bc i thought it was boring outside of the plot development in the last few episodes, as opposed to ngnl being a 9 on my profile bc while it was obvious pandering and had a ton of plot holes and such, it was super super fun to watch

Stratos

Banned deucer.
ive not seen angel beats, only charlotte, but im going to assume theyre similar. I'm not willing to find out.

The writing is just so atrociously bad. My go-to scene for demonstrating the bad writing in charlotte is this one (Purple is a time traveler, and hasnt yet met brown in this timeline), but honestly there are so many of them that it feels bad picking just one. The entire show was miserable. None of the characters talk or act like people. This isn't even getting into the pacing or plot issues. Charlotte is such a disaster that it may honestly be worth watching just for how stupid it is. I can probably make people who've watched it laugh just by saying phrases like "pancake girl" or "courage" just because of how fucking stupid they were. There was the blind lady who showed up for one episode and just said "wow protagonist, i can tell a family member of yours died because of the way you're walking" and then sang to a dude in a mental asylum to cure his schizophrenia. I watched charlotte because I'd heard good things about Key, but this screenshot of the bottom of my MAL should tell you how I feel about the show (everything else there is a harem anime). Sure there's lots of ~melodrama~ but that only actually makes you feel if you're connected to the characters, and when you spend the entire show laughing at how stilted and unrealistic every single character's dialogue and actions are then you don't feel connected to them at all. charlotte was a comedy of errors and from what i've heard angel beats was the same way, except not quite bad enough about it to be worth watching as a comedy.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Are Re:Zero, Mayoiga, Joker Game, and Kiznaiver worth watching from what you guys have seen so far, or would you suggest me to wait to find out if they end well? A little summary could be nice too if you feel like it :3

Asek

Banned deucer.
Are Re:Zero, Mayoiga, Joker Game, and Kiznaiver worth watching from what you guys have seen so far, or would you suggest me to wait to find out if they end well? A little summary could be nice too if you feel like it :3
i literally just said mayoiga is for anyone who aint a PUSSY

Also DU come back on irc dude

Stratos

Banned deucer.
of those im only watching joker game. rn i'd say wait it out and i'll tell you in six weeks. it's got some promising moments but i'm not too confident that its going to be worth it; it feels like a lot of the episode time is padding. the stuff that's there is p clever but its hard to be a spy "thriller" when it feels like production IG is stretching fifteen minutes into 20 every week and fucking up the pacing.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
just wondering, but why do people detest angel beats so much o.o like i don't personally like it, i gave it a 4 or a 5 (and this is coming from a dude who had sao as like a 7 at one time and has ngnl as a 9 so my taste is p bad) but like i see it universally hated and can't really get why. It seems like the type of stuff that hardcore anime nerds would really enjoy, it is all soppy and sad, has a p good soundtrack (crow song is my jam) and has some sort of character development as well as animated well. its also not really all that harem so idgi oo

is there like something i'm missing about it? I'm genuinely curious, bc i gave it a low score bc i thought it was boring outside of the plot development in the last few episodes, as opposed to ngnl being a 9 on my profile bc while it was obvious pandering and had a ton of plot holes and such, it was super super fun to watch
I literally just copied the first comment from there http://myanimelist.net/people/2347/Jun_Maeda

I don't hate Angel Beats, I just think it isn't good, what I do hate is having 4 copycat shows each season. As for Angel Beats itself, I think it has some fun scenes, but I disliked the way there was no plot until the last 10 minutes of the series, and that we were expected to care (and cry?) about seeing the characters disappear, after not developing them in any way throughout the show. I mean, at least Angel Beats didn't bore me to death like Clannad S1, I had a really hard time watching that one, thankfully After Story was better.

Reactions: tcr
dont mock Jun Maeda, this guy has created a masterpiece of japanese animation, the great and beautiful angel beats
While it is an enjoyable ride with a fantastic soundtrack, fun animation, entertaining action sequences, and a couple fun characters of the ones who actually do get character development and don't get written out immediately afterwards, Angel Beats is still far from a masterpiece.

Pacing and the timing of exposition are far and away its biggest flaws. The soundtrack, animation, and combat sequences were all brilliant. Personally, I prefer its earlier episode pacing, but it sped things up to eleven in trying to squeeze the story into a 12 episode season, and even in the slower earlier episodes that I prefer it spent little time on character development, instead opting to focus on schoolyard antics and shenanigans.

A lot of people consider it a masterpiece because for whatever reason it made them extremely emotional and they felt like it was one of the saddest anime they've seen while I'm just sitting here like "... are they talking about the same series as I am? I feel like there wasn't enough time to develop an attachment to the vast majority of these characters."

ive not seen angel beats, only charlotte, but im going to assume theyre similar. I'm not willing to find out.

The writing is just so atrociously bad. My go-to scene for demonstrating the bad writing in charlotte is this one (Purple is a time traveler, and hasnt yet met brown in this timeline), but honestly there are so many of them that it feels bad picking just one. The entire show was miserable. None of the characters talk or act like people. This isn't even getting into the pacing or plot issues. Charlotte is such a disaster that it may honestly be worth watching just for how stupid it is. I can probably make people who've watched it laugh just by saying phrases like "pancake girl" or "courage" just because of how fucking stupid they were. There was the blind lady who showed up for one episode and just said "wow protagonist, i can tell a family member of yours died because of the way you're walking" and then sang to a dude in a mental asylum to cure his schizophrenia. I watched charlotte because I'd heard good things about Key, but this screenshot of the bottom of my MAL should tell you how I feel about the show (everything else there is a harem anime). Sure there's lots of ~melodrama~ but that only actually makes you feel if you're connected to the characters, and when you spend the entire show laughing at how stilted and unrealistic every single character's dialogue and actions are then you don't feel connected to them at all. charlotte was a comedy of errors and from what i've heard angel beats was the same way, except not quite bad enough about it to be worth watching as a comedy.
Charlotte makes many of the same mistakes Angel Beats did, fixes a handful, and introduces a hell of a lot more. There's dramatically fewer attempts at "melodrama" in Angel Beats, which doesn't fit the setting of either Charlotte or Angel Beats anyway. He put out a worse show with Charlotte. Charlotte's production values and a handful of fun characters were basically its saving grace in my mind. Well that and the concept and world were both very intriguing even though the story was inadequate.

Both series require some serious suspension of disbelief, but it's easier to suspend disbelief in Angel Beats because of its setting and its execution being overall better.

Kiznaiver after 3 episodes hasn't really gripped me (character interactions are fun, but everything else is personally meh) and makes me worry for its pacing at the end like I mentioned on the last page. I couldn't tell you about the other 3 shows, though.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Re: Zero and Kiznaiver are both good so far imo, so I think u should give them a shot soulgazer. The concept of Re: Zero is clichéd but the execution has actually been really good in general when compared to other shows in the sub-genre and it has really pleasantly surprised me. As for Kiznaiver, I think that Trigger have done a really good job with it so far between the unique concept and its generally good execution. Mayoiga is worth watching because of how uttlerly retarded it is (idk whether to call it "legitimately good" or "so bad its good" because it has somehow managed to be both simultaniously), but I'd marathon it at the end of the season as opposed to starting it mid-season so that the spacing between episodes is consistent when you watch it. Joker Game is better than I thought it was going to be but I'd wait until the end of the season for people's final verdicts before you start it as opposed to doing it mid-season.

Anyway, I re-watched Charlotte, like, a week ago to see how my view of it changed between now and when I was watching it as my 7th (I think) anime and honestly... yeah. Stratos is right about it. Now that I've seen more anime I can tell just how utterly terrible it is. Like, literally its only saving graces are its OP and soundtrack for fuck sake. Beyond this it was really, really bad; it was unrealistic, it had unrelatable characters, it had probably 1 scene where I felt felt even slightly sad about a character (the scene with the pot noodles, being sad that the little girl had died only to remember that she is saved by The Power of Time Travel™), it had a huge number of plot holes that I honestly can't be asked to list, it was rushed, and would have benefitted from the final episode being a movie or hour-long special as opposed to a 24-minute deal. I forgot to update my rating of it then but I'm not gonna do that now 'cause I'm currently shifting my list over to AniList because MAL is cancerous+doesn't let me rate precisely enough+has a load of my outdated/inflated ratings that need updating anyway, but yeah aninoob me gave it a 7 (rounded from 6.6 or 6.7 iirc) and more-experienced me is gonna give it a 3.4 (not the worst thing ever but still really fucking bad), with it not being lower because its OP, OST and visuals were all good and because it was slightly (keyword "slightly") entertaining to watch. There is very little that I genuinely dislike, and this holds up here too because. However, didn't dislike≠liked, and this was most certainly a bad show.

Angel Beats doesn't deserve as bad a wrap as it gets imho, but it was certainly nothing special. It is by no means a "bad" show; hell, compared to a lot of other shows which get more popularity than is warranted (*looks at the endless steam of shitty shōnen such as Naruto and Fairy Tail*) it is actually pretty good. However, he characters don't get developed much outside of the main four protagonists and Yui to a lesser extent, and the main plot doesn't actually start until the fishing episode where they befriend Kanade, with episodes being semi-incoherent tropes before that point. These tropes served little use outside of their entertainment value, and while they were most certainly entertaining to watch and ranged from below average to average at their lowest, the rather weak coherence was a bit of a detriment here. It was just kinda rushed and would have benefitted a lot from being 2-cour. Despite this though, last few episodes were actually rather touching. I think the shift in concept from "lets all wail on Tenshi to prevent our disappearance" to "lets get along with her and help people accept their deaths and have closure" was a good move; the story that went alongside Yui's disappearance was rather touching (I still get feels when I hear any version of Ichiban no Takaramono) despite her lack of development prior to that point, and the last episode with the closing ceremony and Kanade's disappearance were touching, we got closure on Yuzuru and Kanade, and the entire main cast of Yuzuru, Kanade, Yuri and Hideki were likeable. Something that Angel Beats did well was its ending; while the plot was a little all-over-the-place in the first 2/3 of the show, the last few episodes were a solid 7-8/10 and its soundtrack and visuals were both really stunning imo. Ultimately, I think that somewhere in the range of 6.3-6.6/10 is a pretty accurate rating of the show after you take everything about it into consideration, although that may just be me, and it was the type of show that really appealed to my taste. As far as tearjerkers go, it was able to get my eyes watering once or twice but ultimately falls short when compared to other better tearjerkers like Anohana and Clannad AS (the former of which is meant to have a happy ending despite being a tearjerking one) on the basis that it only got my eyes to water as opposed to having me outright sobbing and welling up, and while hearing the soundtrack of Angel Beats gives me feels it simply doesn't match up to those that I get when I listen to Dango Daikazoku or Secret Base due to the relative lack of character development.

Angel Beats is like Charlotte but in ways that are less fun to laugh at

like, part of the setting is that everyone is immortal and an early episode has a bunch of gags about characters dying really humiliating deaths, then a couple episodes later they try and act like it's some big deal

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
If you are a regular manga reader and you are not reading Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen, you need to immediately start reading it now. This is a rom com to rival Wagatsuma-San. I guarantee you that it will get an anime in the near future.

The premise is the school president and vice president have crushes on each other and they are both insanely smart and so they play games of cat and mouse in order to force the other to admit that they have a crush. The mind games are deep but hilarious and each punchline is fresh and every chapter feels like you are on the edge. You want to root for one or the other to win, but ultimately know that they will cuck the other given the chance. It's absolutely hilarious.

Also the narration is A+++.

Season 3 of Luluco has too much Kill La Kill reference...the entire episode...I get it, Trigger.

Guess the Life Fibers-themed planet, the name KLK-K, Ragio ending reference, the "Don't lose your way"-song weren't already enough for a 3-5 minute cartoon.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
for a one cour anime Boku no Hero Academia is taking it's own sweet damn time. it's already episode 7, and MC/plot is still infantile in development. IDK what they're gonna show in 5-ish episodes. setting up anything decent takes around 2-3 eps. This is just a few steps short of the post timeskip One Piece pacing.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
They are just introducing the characters, chill fam. I guess 10 chapters in 7 episodes can be considered slow, but from what I have read in the manga (I am at chapter 90 now), it's well worth your time to see how everything is for the MC and his classmates; I don't wanna spoil / say too much, but everybody in Deku's class will all have an important role along the way.

If you feel that it takes too much time to watch (animation, fights taking time out of every eps), I strongly suggest to read the manga instead.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
they just spent two (and arguably half) entire episodes on a five minute fight that introduced zero new characters or plot tangents, except reestablishing how much of an insecure jerk this anime's sasuke-trope is......

edit @below: I'm not saying it didn't show any character progress but two whole episodes were unnecessary for that. Gratuitous nuances are welcome and can subtly aid character perception, but that's just not prudent for a 13 epi anime, considering it's 90~ chapters and I'll need to wait for an entire cycle for a sequel. At least ground the series somewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)