Official NBA 16-17' Season Thread

A little extreme no? Duncan was a great player and top 10 all-time. But Kobe was better. And it's just a smogon forum.
LOL Kobe was not better than Duncan. Duncan may have been the most underrated NBA legend after Hondo. Duncan being the quietest superstar in sports and Kobe having the kind of fanboyism he did really distorted how most younger people think about their legacies.

LOL Kobe was not better than Duncan. Duncan may have been the most underrated NBA legend after Hondo. Duncan being the quietest superstar in sports and Kobe having the kind of fanboyism he did really distorted how most younger people think about their legacies.
Did I ever say Timmy was bad? No I didn't. So why are you implying that I did? Duncan is one of if not THE best PF of all-time. Cool? Alright. Now look at Kobe. Over his entire career, he's averaged 25 PPG, 4.7 ASTPG, and 5.2 RPG and is 3rd on the all-time scoring list above the undeniable GOAT Michael Jordan. He's also the only player since Wilt Chamberlain to drop 80+ points in a single game. I think his personality clouds your view of how great he was. Yes, Tim is more likeable. But better than Kobe? Not remotely. Make no mistake I have mad respect for Duncan but I'm simply stating the fact that over both of their entire careers, Kobe is better.

Did I ever say Timmy was bad? No I didn't. So why are you implying that I did? Duncan is one of if not THE best PF of all-time. Cool? Alright. Now look at Kobe. Over his entire career, he's averaged 25 PPG, 4.7 ASTPG, and 5.2 RPG and is 3rd on the all-time scoring list above the undeniable GOAT Michael Jordan. He's also the only player since Wilt Chamberlain to drop 80+ points in a single game. I think his personality clouds your view of how great he was. Yes, Tim is more likeable. But better than Kobe? Not remotely. Make no mistake I have mad respect for Duncan but I'm simply stating the fact that over both of their entire careers, Kobe is better.
if u look only at points as a metric for greatness then karl malone is a top 5 player but thankfully there are other ways to measure basketball talent

duncan has 2 mvps to kobe's 1, led his team to 19(!) consecutive 50+ win seasons and was still a starting-caliber player during his decline while kobe was below replacement level. duncan's advanced stats pan out much better than kobe's as well, having a higher PER (24.2 to 22.9), total win share (206.4 to 172.7), and value over replacement player (89 to 72). duncan was also obviously a far better defender and was one of the greatest teammates a player could ask for, which counts for a lot in a game where chemistry and teamwork are valued as much as individual accolades.

if both of their respective careers ended in 2012 u could make an arguement for kobe and duncan as equals, but considering everything that happened afterwards, it's a wonder how people still put kobe over duncan lmao.

Duncan had a much better FO than Kobe in the twilight of their careers. Take away Pop and Buford and the Spurs would be clowns just like the Lakers are after Jimmy took over.

Also, it's a lot easier to maintain when your game is always about the low post and being 6 11 helps. The fact that Kobe played at such a high level on a game based on athleticism (hello he was a guard) speaks more to me than Duncan doing the same efficient, if boring, thing for 18 years. Kobe constantly evolved his game as his athleticism left him.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Duncan wouldn't have come back if he had ruptured his achilles three years ago.

Since Kevin Durant went to the Golden State Warriors,mI think it would be fitting for the team to be referred to as the Golden State Durants

Every team has legitimate fans. Even the Kings,Suns,Wizards ,and Magic. That's a fact that you can't argue.
Anyway here's my attempt of a playoff prediction barring injury
WEST
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Portland Trailblazers
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. Oklahoma City Thunder
7. Utah Jazz
8. Minnesota Timberwolves
EAST
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Indiana Pacers
4. Boston Celtics
5. Miami Heat
6. Washington Wizards
7. Detroit Pistons
8. Atlanta Hawks

Every team has legitimate fans. Even the Kings,Suns,Wizards ,and Magic. That's a fact that you can't argue.
Anyway here's my attempt of a playoff prediction barring injury
WEST
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Portland Trailblazers
5. Memphis Grizzlies
6. Oklahoma City Thunder
7. Utah Jazz
8. Minnesota Timberwolves
EAST
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Indiana Pacers
4. Boston Celtics
5. Miami Heat
6. Washington Wizards
7. Detroit Pistons
8. Atlanta Hawks
I was joking. you don't need to be angry about it.

As of right now here's my playoff prediction:

East
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Boston Celtics
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Orlando Magic
7. New York Knicks
8. Chicago Bulls/Atlanta Hawks

The 7th and 8th seed are up for grabs imo. I can see Washington, Milwaukee, Miami, and Charlotte fighting for a spot. I think the Knicks did enough this off season to get a spot, but I don't know how great they're gonna be. Orlando made a lot of moves and I think Frank Vogel can coach them into the playoffs.

West
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Utah Jazz
6. Portland Trailblazers
7. Minnesota Timberwolves
8. Houston Rockets

With the addition of George Hill I think Utah could finish with 50+ wins. Even with Durant leaving I feel the Thunder are still one of the best teams in the league. If the Pelicans (Jrue Holiday) can stay healthy I think they could compete for a spot.

East
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Boston Celtics
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Orlando Magic
7. New York Knicks

The 7th and 8th seed are up for grabs imo. I can see Washington, Milwaukee, Miami, and Charlotte fighting for a spot. I think the Knicks did enough this off season to get a spot, but I don't know how great they're gonna be. Orlando made a lot of moves and I think Frank Vogel can coach them into the playoffs.

West
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Utah Jazz
6. Portland Trailblazers
8. Houston Rockets

With the addition of George Hill I think Utah could finish with 50+ wins. Even with Durant leaving I feel the Thunder are still one of the best teams in the league. If the Pelicans (Jrue Holiday) can stay healthy I think they could compete for a spot.
The Orlando Magic made a bunch of shitty moves this offseason. For starters, they traded Victor Oladipo for Ibaka and the right to pick Sabonis. Orlando didn't need Ibaka and Sabonis could've been an instant impact player. Plus, they already had a budding star in Aaron Gordon at the PF spot. They're moving Gordon to SF but I don't think it'll work. This trade was a huge fail for Orlando. Next, they signed Bismack Biyombo for starter money. I like Biyombo as a player and I think he could be a legitimate starter on most teams but...why? Why do you sign a backup center for starter money when you already have a top center in Nikola Vucevic? The Magic FO has been pretty bad this offseason honestly. I expect the Magic to be in the top 10 in the lottery again. I like Payton and Hezonja and Vucevic but it can't overshadow the terrible FO and huge logjam in the PFs/Cs.
I don't think the Knicks have done enough to make the playoffs unless DRose returns to his MVP form which is highly unlikely. Now if it was the 2012 Rose, Noah, and Melo than you're talking a serious contender but unfortunately Rose and Noah have been riddled with injuries lately.
Also, no Grizzlies? If they're healthy than they're a hard out.
MVP: Russell Westbrook
MIP: Andrew Wiggins
RotY: Brandon Ingram
Coach of the Year: Tom Thibbadeu
DPotY: Karl Anthony-Towns

The Orlando Magic made a bunch of shitty moves this offseason. For starters, they traded Victor Oladipo for Ibaka and the right to pick Sabonis. Orlando didn't need Ibaka and Sabonis could've been an instant impact player. Plus, they already had a budding star in Aaron Gordon at the PF spot. They're moving Gordon to SF but I don't think it'll work. This trade was a huge fail for Orlando. Next, they signed Bismack Biyombo for starter money. I like Biyombo as a player and I think he could be a legitimate starter on most teams but...why? Why do you sign a backup center for starter money when you already have a top center in Nikola Vucevic? The Magic FO has been pretty bad this offseason honestly. I expect the Magic to be in the top 10 in the lottery again. I like Payton and Hezonja and Vucevic but it can't overshadow the terrible FO and huge logjam in the PFs/Cs.
I don't think the Knicks have done enough to make the playoffs unless DRose returns to his MVP form which is highly unlikely. Now if it was the 2012 Rose, Noah, and Melo than you're talking a serious contender but unfortunately Rose and Noah have been riddled with injuries lately.
Also, no Grizzlies? If they're healthy than they're a hard out.
MVP: Russell Westbrook
MIP: Andrew Wiggins
RotY: Brandon Ingram
Coach of the Year: Tom Thibbadeu
DPotY: Karl Anthony-Towns
Adding Parsons is great and all but the Grizzlies window has been closed. $153 million for Conley is ridiculous in my opinion. Randolph is on the decline and Gasol is coming off an injury. If the Grizzlies stay healthy they can fight for a spot but I dont see them being anything special. There's no way in hell DRose is gonna play like it's 2012 but if he can play the way he did in the 2nd half of last year and Noah can stay healthy than they can definitely fight for a spot. Lee and Jennings are solid additions and their bench isn't horrible. The Thunder robbed the Magic no doubt about that. Fournier is a great shooter next to Payton and I wouldnt be surprised if he averages 20 points next year. Hezonja is gonna get more playing time and he's got all the potential in the world. They've also got one of the best front courts now with Ibaka and Vucevic with Biyombo coming off the bench (I think). Paying Starter money for Biyombo is risky but they got him and he's gonna be a great rim protector for them.

I'll agree that they grossly overpaid Conley but he's a great player that no one talks about. He's a valuable piece. Gasol and Randolph aren't in their primes anymore but that's still a pretty good frontcourt and adding Parsons upgrades their shooting which is essential in 21st century NBA so I think they'll get in instead of Houston. Why? Look at the Rockets roster and their coach. Outside of Beverley, it's OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE. Defense? What's that? To win games they'll have to win shoot-outs which will be difficult with their defense

I respect Conley's game alot. He's a great 2 way player and leader on the floor.
Im all about Defense and the Rockets roster is lacking that. Beverley. Capela, Ariza, and Brewer are the only players who play it. But offensively they are very talented and that's how Mike D'Antoni likes it. We saw what he did in Phoenix with the ''7 seconds or less Offense'' and we could see that with this team.
I could see either team making it

East
1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Toronto Raptors
3. Boston Celtics
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Indiana Pacers
6. Orlando Magic
7. New York Knicks

West
1. Golden State Warriors
2. San Antonio Spurs
3. Los Angeles Clippers
4. Oklahoma City Thunder
5. Utah Jazz
6. Portland Trailblazers
8. Houston Rockets

I dont think the Clippers are as good as they once were so putting them at 3 is a little generous. but with the Bottom half of the west not being as good as the top 2. Ii guess there is no other option to who else to put there at 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)