Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Jump, the reason only eight people have the Gold Print is because you don't get to bring your own Pokemon in. You have to use the game's relatively shitty Pokemon, making a Trick team is (almost) impossible, and one bad selection round for Pokemon can doom your entire set. Reaching 200 in the tower isn't that hard when you get good Pokemon and a good strategy.

yes it is... start by using the first page and clicking on some of the more successful teams to see what the standards being used here are first though.

and i haven't faultered with my team yet this time! in fact, i think i've had at least one pokemon at or damn near full health at the end of every match so far, and i've only messed up with my lead once.

Yes, but you still need to build the team yourself. :P

On another topic, my experimental attempt to get back on #1 in Castle just failed. I didn't even get close to 200, so I will be using a more straightforward team next time -- yes, I'm still not giving up. :P (At least I should break my 251, because that record was actually rather random, as it didn't quite use the opponent-related features of the Castle.) For the curious, I'm going to introduce the team I used for the last weeks and show why it's like 400 wins short of the new record.

Medicham
Adamant, 252/252/4
@ Choice Scarf / Focus Sash / nothing / ...
~ Reversal
~ Psycho Cut
~ ThunderPunch
~ Ice Punch
>>> The plan was, obviously, to have Medicham die in the first match and never heal it afterwards in order to abuse Scarf Reversal (198 speed with adamant nature, only outsped by some Aerodactyls, Crobats, Jolteons and Electrodes). Psychic trainers tend to be annoying, because they almost always have Claydol or Slowbro, lol. Well, the real reason the team didn't work that good is the ridiculous amount of luck-related and other annoying items: Teams with at least two of BrightPowder, Lax Incense, Quick Claw, Focus Sash and Focus Band were pretty common, but Medi can't achieve failing to kill stuff like that while the other two don't really like Pokémon with those items as well...

Metagross
Adamant, max attack, 106 speed stat and some HP
@ Lum Berry
~ Meteor Mash
~ Earthquake
~ Bullet Punch
~ Explosion
>>> Nothing unexpected. Just as in the 251 streak, Lum Berries are cheap and protect Meta from being crippled too easily.

Salamence
Adamant, 252/252/4
@ Lum Berry
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Flamethrower
~ Dragon Dance
>>> Again, nothing unexpected (but not nothing special for some reason lol). Beats much stuff that Medi fails to beat on its own, but just as I said, luck items are a huge annoyance...

So, in a nutshell, the idea to exploit the 1 HP revival does work only as long as the foe uses favorable items and lacks priority. The team for my next attempt(s) already stands; it will be another Starmie/Garchomp/Steel-type trio, which is also less vulnerable to forced luck and able to gather CP just as well, since my 251 team also was one of this concept.

Umm, two final things about the posted team:

What about a name?
Adamantly out of the blue. ;D

Max streak with that?
I don't remember for sure. My very last attempt ended at 112, if Peterko cares to add it to the list for reference. Not worth any photographic proof imho.

Hi Ive looked at movesets and team builds from this site for weeks on end, i have tried a few teams from this site even, Im new to the endgame of pokemon and doing the BF, and so far i just need some help.

Im pretty sure since ive tried some teams others had success with and didnt get to 49 its mostly inexperience/bad luck, but anything that you guys can help me improve on would be awesome.

Im atm trying to conquer Battle Tower/Castle, and for Tower i really do not want a trick team, even tho i see they are on the top, i just dont like that playstyle so besides recommending that, any other advice would help me.

I got to 41 wins with this team i tried 1st.

Starmie - Timid - Natural Cure - Expert Belt
EVs - SPAtk252 - Spe252 - HP6
- Psychic
- Surf
-Lightning Bolt
-Ice Beam

Scizor - Adamant - Technician - Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs - ATK252 - HP252 - Spe6
-Bullet Punch
- Superpower
-Swords Dance
- Roost

Garchomp - Jolly - Focus Sash
EVs - ATK252 - Spe252 - HP6
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

So with this team build i got to 41, then i tried a different build.

Starmie / Garchomp and

Electivire - Adamant
-Thunder Punch
-Ice Punch
-Cross Chop
-Earthquake

i Hit 39 with this team, so i tried this team which more people had better luck with in tower.

Starmie / Garchomp and

Tyranitar - Jolly - Lum Berry
EVs -ATK252 - Spe252 - HP6
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Ice Punch

This build had a few high scores in tower and castle, and i seemed to have more problems here than with my 1st two team builds.

Heres The problems i had, so again any advice would be awesome cuz im pretty bummed that im losing with these builds that others can go 100+ with.

First off Tyranitar has alot of 2xweak and 1 4xweak types which is hard to play against sometimes, when some poke have 4 dif types of moves. Then Snorlax comes out, i switch starmie out for garchomp so i dont get OHKO'd and to bring in my most hard hitting poke since no1 has fight i have no 2x on him. Snorlax uses Curse and pumps def/atk for speed, which ive tried 2 things, try 1 i just used outrage then he hits me back and OHKOs me i revive with focus sash, i hit him a second time, he is in the low yellow life, but kills me, i sub for starmie which is fast, and STAB surf doesnt kill him by about nothing, then he rests..... sigh, completely walled..
Try 2 i sub for chomp, and while he curses i swords dance, after thats up the same thing happens but i get less hits in since i waste time dancing, they hit harder but im at the same spot. i killed snorlax but i was only left with tyranitar, and then i get hit by a 4xfight move.

Sorry for the wall of text here, but i know no1 who has this game and id love to be able to talk on aim with someone who is good and can help me out, forums are great but its faster without delay writing.

What am i doing wrong? which builds look the best of the pokemon i have there?

Tips/suggestions? AHHH im just frustrated.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
hi, thank you for loving starmie first of all, and second i can help you. for one thing you are playing DP and not platinum, which matters immensely because you should be using the moveset lists in the first post. specifically you can now go here to see what pokemon you're facing:

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/bt/dp_bt_pokemon

if there's a lead snorlax you should definitely go with tyranitar since it fares greatly against all of them and starts a sandstream that sucks for lax and is directly great for 2/3 or your team and great for starmie indirectly since it brings lax into kill range for surf easier.

it seems you know what people have used primarily for their 100+ streaks in the tower, so good job doing your homework. i was the first to use this sort of team and i can tell you it's really the best kind of team to use if you dont want to use a trick team, especially in the DP environment for which the team was originally created. that said, i obviously don't see any reason to deviate from my exact team at all, but I do wonder why you have ice punch on tyranitar instead of curse. i think that at the least you should use fire punch since i suspect you're tired of grass types, since fire punch gets the other type that this team doesn't like very much in bug (rock slide sucks to rely on). but i would just use curse anyway for the reason i stated in my original writeup on the team which you can fine easily on the first page

i dont think you'll like weavile very much even with sash on garchomp cause one weavile has sash and can easily freeze garchomp even if its own sash is still intact

What about a name?
Adamantly out of the blue. ;D
thank you for this

also i think when i very very first heard about the battle castle and realized you couldn't heal your poke, i thought of 1HP reversal like i'm sure a few others did and probably even posted about in the "mark 5" BF thread. glad to see someone following up on that, and at the very least i wish you would keep using it, so i will suggest a wide lens on that medicham so you dont miss the evasion item retards.

1hp medicham will at least elicit very predictable attacks from foe you can't kill ("weakest attack that can kill") but im not sure if it's worth it in the end cause you'll probably still get hacked to death

I'm still riding in Pearl, keeping it old school and representing for all the players who were too cheap to buy Platinum and are now waiting for HGSS. Keep your heads up.

I'm using my Rain team, which got to 163 wins, with a few modifications. (This isn't a record post, this is a 'got my ass kicked, rethought my strategy' post.)

Something really caught me by surprise in a recent match: the AI's Metagross used Explosion from full health. I didn't realise it could do this - this makes all the QC Exploders a hell of a lot more dangerous for me.

- -
Rain offence team

Starmie @ Focus Sash ** Mersenne
Timid, Natural Cure
6 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Rain Dance/Surf/Thunder/Ice Beam
- Rain setup, sweeper

Toxicroak @ Expert Belt ** Cerenkov
Adamant, Dry Skin
252 HP, 252 Atk, 6 Spe
Fake Out/Helping Hand/Low Kick (previously Brick Break)/Sucker Punch
- support, physical coverage

Kingdra @ Life Orb ** Vela
Modest, Swift Swim
200 HP, 252 SpA, 56 Spe
Rain Dance/Surf/Draco Meteor (previously Dragon Pulse)/Ice Beam
- sweeper, secondary Rain setup

Ludicolo @ Leftovers ** Zeeman
Bold, Swift Swim
134 HP, 252 SpA, 124 Spe
Leech Seed/Surf (previously Protect)/Grass Knot/Ice Beam
- was a stall tank, now more of a sweeper. Thanks to Chinese Dood for the EVs: 124 Spe beats +Spe Electrode in the Rain

- -
Battle 50-something, DP doubles

Psychic trainer somebody or other

Mr. Mime & Metagross

Turn 1

The safest thing to do is get the Rain. Croak is doomed if it stays in - both foes will be aiming Psychic attacks at it. Mime might have Filter; if not, Sucker Punch will probably OHKO. I Sucker Punch Mime, and sacrifice Croak to bring in Kingdra next turn.

• Starmie: Rain Dance
  • Croak: Sucker Punch Mime, ~80% damage.

Filter. Otherwise it would have needed to be +Def to live, and damage fell squarely in the Filter range.

• Mime: Psychic Croak, kill
  • Meta: Zen Headbutt Starmie, 20% damage

Starmie's Sash is broken. I bring in Kingdra. Should kill Mime and easily 2HKO Meta.

Turn 2

I can switch Starmie for Ludicolo so Kingdra can Surf.

Starmie would withstand Kingdra's LO Rain Surf on 80% HP, but if it crits, Starmie dies - and this has happened before. I weigh up whether or not to stay in - if Kingdra doesn't crit Starmie, then Meta dies (QC notwithstanding).

I don't know Meta's set yet, other than 'it's not the special one'. Meta won't use MM, but I've seen it ZH Kingdra before. If it EQs, Ludi gets in nearly for free.

• I switch Starmie out for Ludicolo.
  • Kingdra: Surf: 10% Ludi, ~80% to Meta, kills Mime
  • Meta: EXPLOSION, clean sweep

\|||||/
- o_O -

AAAAH

This is what caught me off-guard. I don't think I've ever seen the AI use Explosion from full health before - it was at 100% at the start of the turn, facing Kingdra and Starmie.

I thought the AI used Explosion like it uses HP-restoring moves - only once it was below 50% HP. Meta 4 has EQ, but it went for the boom, even though it was at full health and could hit both opponents neutrally.

Booming was obviously the best move to make - it's what a human would have done. Is booming this early common, and I just hadn't noticed? Was this a freak occurrence?

That's the interesting bit. The rest of the match is as follows:

Starmie vs. Starmie & Slowking

Balls. I'll attack Starmie in the hopes of parahax. Slowking is great for me - only one Slowking has a non-NVE move on Starmie, and that's lol Headbutt. So I'll attack Starmie and basically pray, since Thunder probably won't OHKO.

Turn 3

• My Star: Thunder Starmie, ~90% damage, paralysis
  • AI Star: FP, thank god
  • Slowking: Swagger my Starmie, so it's King 3

I got the parahax, which was nice. But now if I attack myself in confusion, I'm screwed, unless I get another FP, since all AI Starmies have either Thunder or Thunderbolt.

Turn 4

• My Star: hits own self
  • Me: hits own self
  • AI Star: Thunder, kill

And that's that. I was trying to Surf, to kill the AI Star and wear down Slowking. Meh.

- -
The game was really over when Metagross exploded, taking out my two main sweepers.

Now, I'll switch Ludi into dual Psychic leads. Ludi can withstand two attacks, so Starmie keeps its Sash. This means it can't die from friendly fire, so I can Surf twice next turn. If something QC Explodes, then Starmie hangs on, and Surfs in case anything survives. Croak can come back later to Fake Out/Helping Hand/whatever.

That's how I roll - I try to work out 'protocols' for dealing with difficult combinations. Assessing threats for doubles is different from singles: I can deal with Meta if it's Raining, and I can deal with Mr. Mime - but both leading constitute a serious threat that needs planning for.

tl;dr

The AI Explodes from full health, even when it has other options? God, I hate Metagross.

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
why not trying to fake out metagross turn on with toxicroak while surfing or RDing with starmie? dont get me wrong, i rarely play doubles so i very well may be missing something obvious, but it seems, with metagross being a little bitch and all and also facing two psychic pokemon, that faking out king idiot to get RD up with starmie could have been a better move. especially since both are likely to target the pokemon of yours that can hit for massive damage, which is a phenomenon that's "always" been true of doubles as far as i see.

obviously here metagross decided to be dumb and use ZH on starmie, but you would have gotten rain up and been able to surf the shit out of everything after toxicroak died to mime, right?

anyway i remember this team from the last thread and i really, really like it (~*starmie*~), so dont give up

sighhhhhh 45 in the factory

though my loss could have been avoided in a couple ways, so i learned a couple lessons which is good! im still mad though, obviously. so anyway, here is my warstory

my team:

767 | Swampert | Adamant | Rindo Berry | Earthquake | Aqua Tail | Avalanche | Mirror Coat | HP/Atk

482 | Tyranitar | Brave | Focus Band | Rock Slide | Payback | Avalanche | Curse | Atk/SpD

876 | Magnezone | Modest | Brightpowder | Thunderbolt | Flash Cannon | Tri Attack | Signal Beam | Def/SpA

i get a warning that the next trainer is good with the grass type. this concerns me, obviously. the 3 pokemon i just killed were all terrible, 2 of them were weak to grass and one of them was a skuntank with crunch, and no aftermath. so basically, i had a big decision to make. dare i swap for skuntank? it's one of these two:

791 | Skuntank | Jolly | Muscle Band | Poison Jab | Night Slash | Crunch | Explosion | Atk/Spe

519 | Skuntank | Jolly | Chesto Berry | Crunch | Toxic | Swagger | Double Team | HP/Spe

the former would be absolutely amazing against multiple grass pokemon, almost guaranteeing 2 or even 3 kills. the latter, however, would be terrible.

so basically i figured that a)if it were the toxic skuntank it would potentially be bad since a lot of grasses are also poison, and b) it would also be significantly worse than all 3 of my current pokemon. i suppose i could have swapped tyranitar out for it but honestly payback/avalanche/rock slide is amazing coverage, especially since around this time legends get extremely common. furthermore the fact that my other 2 mons support sandstorm seemed just too good to pass up. so i decide to leave swampert, ttar, and magnezone against this guy with 2 grass mons, which was ballsy as fuck, but the pert had rindo and mirror coat so i was thinking he could at least kill something.

opponent opens with meganium. a quick check tells me that there are no physical meganiums, so mirror coat is a safe bet. i can survive a leaf storm from any version thanks to rindo and ko back with mirror coat, but not a frenzy plant. however i figure if it's the frenzy plant version i can revenge kill without too much hassle. if it's the sunny day one then magnezone or tyranitar completely ruin its fun. it leaf storms, i survive with 30 hp and mirror coat for the kill. imagine if the AI had prediction and set up screens as i mirror coated? "lol"

out comes leafeon. i'm relieved that his other grass is something that magnezone has absolutely no issue with. not a single set can even scratch it. ordinarily i'd just sacrifice swampert to get zone in safely but since zone has no danger at all switching in i figured i may as well try to preserve him, since there's always a small chance he's faster than their last poke. in comes zone who takes a pittance from leaf blade, takes another leaf blade and ohkos with signal beam. so far so good.

last pokemon is....... sceptile. great, i was perfectly capable of handling 2 grass mons with my disadvantaged team but 3? come on.

357 | Sceptile | Jolly | Liechi Berry | Leaf Blade | Crunch | Quick Attack | Screech | Atk/Spe
493 | Sceptile | Timid | Leftovers | Giga Drain | Leech Seed | Toxic | Double Team | SpA/Spe
629 | Sceptile | Adamant | Scope Lens | Leaf Blade | X-Scissor | Night Slash | Aerial Ace | Atk/Spe
765 | Sceptile | Timid | Occa Berry | Leaf Storm | Dragon Pulse | Focus Blast | Hyper Beam | SpA/Spe

luckily for me, magnezone completely destroys 3 of the sceptile sets (though even without toxic, the double team/leech seed one could be a little irritating) but if it's the fourth i'm probably fucked. so i go for the signal beam. it focus blasts, meaning it is the one that can potentially do a lot of damage, but luckily focus blast misses. signal beam takes sceptile down to somewhere between 12% and 15%. i realized that this is not good. terrible play by me. anyways, i wasn't sure if it would be able to take 2 sandstorms or 3, so i thought keeping magnezone in was the right thing to do. it focus blasts to kill zone, tyranitar comes in and gets killed by an overgrow-boosted leaf storm (of course, it would have survived a non-overgrow leaf storm due to how specially bulky this version is) and i wasn't lucky enough to get a miss nor a focus band hang. in comes swampert with 30ish hp, i prayed for a random leaf storm miss but the sneaky bugger used dragon pulse, and i died.

so basically, i played against sceptile wrong in a lot of ways. first and foremost, i should not have used signal beam. i should have checked to make sure it was on ohko; it wasn't, and putting him into overgrow cost me the game. i should have thunderbolted! this would have done paltry damage but, unless it was version 4 i could kill it with nve tbolts before it could do anything to me, and even if it was version 4 i could still, if lucky, get 2 focus blast misses (good old brightpowder) and kill with tbolt then signal beam. a likelier scenario would have been magnezone dying right off the bat, which lets tyranitar comes in who survives both focus blast AND leaf storm, and ohkos with avalanche. that would have meant only a crit could have cost me the game, and i still had focus blast's shaky 70% accuracy, leaf storm's slightly less shaky 90% accuracy if it used that instead, and my good old focus band.

another likely scenario could have been the first focus blast missing, magnezone getting a tbolt off, and dying next turn to focus blast once against allowing tyranitar to clean up. so yes, i definitely should not have used signal beam. but even after using signal beam i still could have salvaged the situation! as i said, i wasn't sure if it would take 2 or 3 sandstorms to kill it. but that didn't matter! once signal beam hit, i should have switched to ttar who takes the focus blast and survives, deals 6.25% through sandstream. sceptils kills ttar next turn taking another 6.25%, which would either kill it, or allow swampert to take that final hit to let sceptile take another 6.25% and finally die.

so yeah, moral of the story is, even when you get extremely fucking unlucky with matchups, there's still a chance you can play out of it if you take the time to calculate and strategize! the other moral of the story is wow cursing tyranitar eats leaf storms like it's a fucking lawnmower, when it survived roselia's leaf storm my jaw kinda hit the floor a lil bit

oh and another thing, as for why the sceptile leaf stormed over focus blasting, does that mean the AI takes abilities and such into consideration? sorry if it's obvious, i'm just curious if mold breaker pinsir with eq levitators, or if it ever screws up and just programs every pinsir to use eq so sometimes itll use eq with hyper cutter. i guess sceptile is different since it always has overgrow, so presumably its programmed to factor that in when it's at <33%. which brings me to defensive abilities, does the AI just guess if your bronzong has levitate or heatproof, for example? once it realizes which one you have will it stop using ineffective moves?

of course this is with "perfect" AI which i think the factory starts to use after 21, but it might be after 28 (though thorton doesn't use random moves i so it'd make sense if 22+ did)

Jumpman16 Thank you for replying to my post to help me out. Using Tyran On Snorlax wasnt in my head as the best way to go but i will most definately try that next time, thanks for that. I have Ice punch on tyranitar because its 2x on grass just life fire punch is But ice punch gave me something Vs dragons, i figured that was more important than what fire punch would give me fire only gives bug/grass, i honestly didnt know tyran can use curse, and now i think that might be the better solution to my 4th move.

Again however it seemed like i was having a harder time with this team, than when i was using starmie chomp n electivire : / I dont know what else to do besides practice practice practice.

Oh should i take off fire fang on chomp for substitute?

AHRRHRHRHARHH

DP TOWER STREAK OF -----91------

not quite to that century mark but much better than my last streak! and i lost to a cresselia that my team can beat hands down but i played it all wrong. i thunder waved right away instead of testing the moveset, which would've immediately shown that toxic is a surefire way to kill it (the moonlight one).

DAMNNNNNNN i was pissed that i goofed up that late... but another lesson learned. the team is still solid and i think it can handle a lot more punishment than this streak had it deal with. i will give another try or two before i move on to a different variation.

I love reading factory warstories :) Personally I would have taken the risk and traded for Skuntank only because even if you get the "stall" set, Skuntank's typing is still defensively awesome for facing Grass types in general (unless it has EQ or a strong neutral secondary stab I guess) Also, out of the 16 (I think, I may have miscounted) Grass types you can fight, only Venusaur/Victreebel/Vileplume/Roserade (and Breloom if it has Poison Heal) can't be poisoned, and from my memory most of the Grass/Poisons use solely Grass/Poison attacks. Also Roserade and Victreebel are pretty frail physically and are probably 2-3HKO'd by stalltank's Crunch anyways. Also, Skuntank is the coolest Pokemon ever :fart: :fart: Good job breaking 40 though, I'm still at lowly 34 :(

Which brings me to my warstory. Throughout this streak I had started off every set with 6 bad choices but then ended up trading my way to gg teams by the end of the set. Once I noticed that my streak was literally at 14 wins and 14 trades, I decided to see how far I could go while trading after every battle. Long story short, I ended up with 28 wins and 28 trades. Short story long:

Traded my way up to Thorton. His lead was a Stone Edge Armaldo (showing me that it was a set with 4 physical moves). I had *happened* to fight Skarmory2 in the last battle and traded for it, leaving me with:

741 Rhyperior Impish Focus Sash Horn Drill Avalanche Payback Counter HP/Def
509 Skarmory Careful Leftovers Fly Toxic Double Team Roost HP/Def/SpD
778 Lanturn Modest Expert Belt Surf Thunderbolt Ice Beam Signal Beam HP/SpA

I'm feeling pretty confident simply because I know I'm going to start off in the lead thanks to CounterSash Rhyperior, who can then sacrifice itself to scout the next Pokemon's moveset. Battle starts, his Armaldo uses EQ doing like 40%, Counter OHKOs (it was the Life Orb Armaldo). Thorton sends out Articuno. "Shit." I decide to sacrifice Rhyperior and just use Horn Drill while the Articuno kills me so I can scout the set and send in the appropriate Pokemon. However, Articuno uses Reflect and Rhyperior hits a one-hit KO! Thorton sends in Regigigas. I again decide to sacrifice Rhyperior because I know I can send Skarmory into any set except the special set and just stall it out with Toxic. "Regigigas used Focus Blast!" Again, "Shit." The special set was ganna be hard to deal with. However, "Regigigas' attack missed!" and once again, "It's a one-hit KO!" comes across the screen as I smile from just 3-0ing the factory head with 2 OHKO kills.

Also, I think it would have been hilarious if Horn Drill hit Articuno and missed Regigigas, only because Thorton *happened* to use the only Articuno set Skarmory could set up on as well as the only Regigigas set Skarmory COULDN'T set up on (but with any other Articuno/Regigigas sets I would rather hit Articuno and miss Regigigas if I could only choose one). I just kinda noticed that now and giggled to myself.

Anyways, went from 22-28 with no troubles, still switching after every battle just because, and started off my 29-35 set with 6 overall mediocre choices. I forget what they all were but I ended up taking:

732 Hippowdon Adamant White Herb Superpower Fire Fang Ice Fang Fissure HP/Atk
751 Togekiss Modest Wise Glasses Air Slash Heat Wave Signal Beam Magical Leaf SpA/Spe
844 Shuckle Calm Leftovers Toxic Substitute Double Team Sandstorm HP/Def/SpD

Overall pretty lackluster other than Togekiss (who had Serene Grace), but I tried Hippowdon and Shuckle out even though they gave me double Water/Ice weaks because of the Sandstream ccccombo

Throughout the next few battles I ended up fighting several gg Pokemon and ended up trading every battle (again) and ending up at 34 with:

893 Garchomp Adamant Persim Berry Outrage Earthquake Crunch Fire Fang Atk/Spe (absolutely made sure I didn't misclick again)
847 Steelix Brave Quick Claw Gyro Ball Earthquake Stone Edge Explosion Atk/Def
838 Rampardos Jolly Choice Scarf Head Smash Earthquake Giga Impact Superpower Atk/Spe

So my opponent leads with Swampert -_- I know I didn't want to switch Rampardos into any of the Swampert sets and I didn't want to switch Steelix into the special set, so I use Outrage and do 60-65%ish while it OHKOs me with Ice Punch, showing me that it's Swampert1. I send in Rampardos to revenge kill it and use Earthquake just incase the next Pokemon sent in is weak to Ground (and even if my opponent sends in a Ground immunity I know I would have been switching out regardless had I used Superpower). Dumb move on my part because it left Swampert with a sliver of HP left while it killed me with Waterfall. I really should have just gotten it off the screen asap considering how weak my team was to it. So I send in Steelix and kill Swampert with Quick Claw activating, giving my Steelix full HP at least. Opponent sends in Regigigas, who uses EQs me 3 times leaving me with like 40 HP while I just barely 4HKO it with EQ (and a timely Quick Claw activation again on the last one). Opponent sends in Venusaur who promptly kills me with Giga Drain.

Again, I should have just gotten rid of Swampert asap with Rampardos, then switched to Steelix no matter what. Then Steelix would have either Exploded or just died from a special move or something while Rampardos hopefully cleans up the rest of this dumb battle with scarf Head Smash or something :( But it's a lot easier to think of what I should have done AFTER I've already made the mistake and lost huh

Also Glen I've only noticed "perfect" AI from battles 28+, excluding Thorton1. Same thing with set numbers. Before battle 28 my opponents Pokemon are always the same set number (like Swampert1, Regigigas1, Venusaur1 as opposed to the Swampert1, Regigigas4, Venusaur2 team I fought at battle 34). What I'm wondering though is if these things are determined by number of trades maybe instead of what battle you are at?

Jumpman16

Jumpman16 Thank you for replying to my post to help me out. Using Tyran On Snorlax wasnt in my head as the best way to go but i will most definately try that next time, thanks for that. I have Ice punch on tyranitar because its 2x on grass just life fire punch is But ice punch gave me something Vs dragons, i figured that was more important than what fire punch would give me fire only gives bug/grass, i honestly didnt know tyran can use curse, and now i think that might be the better solution to my 4th move.

Again however it seemed like i was having a harder time with this team, than when i was using starmie chomp n electivire : / I dont know what else to do besides practice practice practice.

Oh should i take off fire fang on chomp for substitute?
lmao what's wrong with me why did i say curse, i meant dragon dance wow

anyway personally i think you will still have major weavile issues if you go with starmie/garchomp/electivire and also stuff like ludicolo and froslass, you have to think in terms of type resistances which is what starmie/tyranitar/garchomp and any good team really has. you will learn how to use your team and any team through practice primarily

on a side note i'm thinking of using CLS with 41 IVs just to make it a little easier to continue my streak, the team's good but could be better so why not right

Hey guys, a few posts back i posted a few questions i had with my teambuild and stuff, i will update my changes here but i really need help with battle strat on floor 49 on battle tower, its my new hjighest floor, and palmer just barely killed me.

Starmie - Timid - Natural Cure - Expert Belt
EVs - SPAtk252 - Spe252 - HP6
- Psychic
- Surf
-Lightning Bolt
-Ice Beam

Tyranitar - Jolly - Lum Berry
EVs -ATK252 - Spe252 - HP6
-Earthquake
-Crunch
-Rock Slide
-Superpower

Garchomp - Jolly - Focus Sash
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

Previously i had ice punch on tyranitar instead of superpower, because of dragon/grass, but it wasnt very powerful anyway, and the main issue i had was with bulky normal types is snorlax ect. So i swapped superpower in for it and it seems to be very helpful as its my only 2x to normal move.

Anyway, i finally reached floor 49! I need help on a battle plan vs him, what happened was this.

Starmie surfs heatran, heatran lives with it had to have been 1-5 life left, i dk if it was a low hit, or if he will always just barely survive my surf, my starmie is timid not modest, and has an spa IV of 22, i hope next time i kill him in one hit otherwise i might consider rebreeding a modest : /
Anyway heatran hits starmie OHKilling me, tyranitar hops in quakes him anyway. Next I hit regigas with a superpower, which brings him down to 1/4 he drain punches me back and brings me to a little over 1/4 and brings himself to 3/4 i superpower him again and he lives with a few hps, and proceeds to kill tyranitar, no biggy right? garchomp steps in and EQ regigas. Now its cresellia..... i used Outrage not realizing it doesnt even 1/2 her hps. since she is psychic i thought it would be a 2HK. She kills Garchomp.

So, what would be a better battle plan vs this team, i was seeing that tyranitar has crunch vs cresselia would be good news, but how would i down regigas without losing tyran, and would chomp be able to down regigas without a fight move? sheesh, help me please! lol

Jumpman16

first of all, seriously your starmie shouldn't be getting OHKOed by heatran at all, what are you HP/SpD IVs? second my starmie is modest and i swear by it, yours will actually never ohko heatran with surf because of the 22 SpA IV where a modest one with good IVs will kill over half the time.

you should then be able to dent regigigas with starmie if heatran leads, then clean up with garchomp, knowing that tyranitar beats cresselia every time. hope that helps!

anyway i think i'm entitled to using 41 IVs because i'm so good and my salary is so high, i pretty much deserve to

That does help me alot, my IVs with Starmie are IVs HP10 - ATK11 - Def13 - Spa22 - Spd17 - Spe26 Not very good, but high speed and decend spa, these are my 1st poke so, heatran used earth power to OHKO ad honesly im not sure if it was a crit ot not, i wish i noticed that : /

Either way should i breed a new modest starmie? would that make a large difference?

PS my tyranitars IVS HP31 - ATK27 - Def25 - Spa4 - Spd14 - Spe27 Garchomp IVs HP24 - ATK14 - Def23 - Spa15 - Spd17 - Spe26

rebreed or see if someone will donate something to you because those need some serious work. You have 1 flawless IV between 3 pokemon, that's pretty lazy breeding. You can farm up at least a flawless speed and attacking stat for each and every one of those using the power items... passing 2 IVs isn't hard even by traditional standards. Having a semi-decent Starmie will be passable, though the higher the better, because you can only breed with Ditto. Tyranitar and Garchomp though have a lot of options and should be 25+ in all HP and DEFs, with flawless ATK and SPD--especially Tyranitar who loves sandstream support to boost its already impressive defensive stats.

@Sonyc456:Yeah I would definitely consider rebreeding starmie and any of your other pokes that look like that IV wise, you should aim for 31/x/25+/31/25+/31 on starmie, at least that's what I'd aim for. As for Tyranitar I'd aim for: 31/31/25+/x/25+/31 but, if you at least get close to something decent and better than what you have currently I'd keep those.

Edit: What kingbattlus said:D

You guys have all been really helpful to me, i usually use gamefaqs on all my games for support or to help others, this game however im the noobie so i need help lol.

Im familiar with breeding, and what IVS are but im unfamiliar on how to pass IVs on and how to IV breed/train, so if theres a good guide someone can link me to, or quickly explain the best and easiest way to IV train i will get right on it, im not lazy, i just dont know how to do that, ive put hard work in breeding and EV training those pokemon, and all of those IVs are just whatever they were when i first bred them. Thanks for all the help again, seriously, best forum ever.

I don't know if you'd be interested in it but these links explain how you can breed for perfect IV'ed pokemon based on your ID and SID (secret ID):

but, if you find that too difficult then you can just breed the old fashioned way by putting two parents in the daycare center, one male and one female or ditto who can breed with almost any poke excluding legends. Basically IV breeding works like a pyramid, you work your way from the bottom(terrible IV'ed pokemon) to the top(nearly perfect IV'ed pokemon) like this:

Starting out with not that great of pokemon usually one or two 31's:

Parent 1: x/31/x/x/x/x

Parent 2: x/x/31/31/x/x

IVs are chosen from both parents at random and then another IV is chosen at random from one of the parents to be passed from the baby and then... well to be quite honest I can't explain it all too well, I know that there is an article to this somewhere but, I couldn't find it sorry, hope I helped in some way.

Edit:

Found this little section that should help explain to you how IVs are generated:

IV Generation For Eggs

For a general guide to breeding, it is suggested that you read X-Act and Peterko's Guide on the subject. For those interested in the nitty-gritty details of how RNG results determine the IVs of bred Pokémon, read on.

The IVs of an egg are determined the instant you speak to the Daycare Man and are created by eight calls to the RNG.

The first two calls are used to generate a baseline set of IVs. This mechanic is covered extremely well in X-Act's PID and IV creation article, but is quickly summarized here for completeness' sake.

Call 1 is used to generate the Defense, Attack, and Hit Points. These are stored internally as a single 16-bit value and the mask below can be used to extract the individual IVs. The high bit is unused and may be disregarded.

X|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX
X|DEFXX|ATKXX.|HPXXX

Call 2 is used to generate the Special Defense, Special Attack, and Speed. These are stored internally as a single 16-bit value and the mask below can be used to extract the individual IVs. The high bit is unused and may be disregarded.

X|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX
X|SPDXX|SPA..X|SPEXXX

The next three calls determine which IVs are inherited. These inherited IVs overwrite up to three of the baseline IVs that were created above.

Call 3 (or s[3] in the formula below) is used to determine the first IV to be inherited.

s[3] is divided by 6 and the remainder taken (Inh1 = s[3] % 6). This result is used with the table below to determine which IV is overwritten.

If Inh1 = 0, then HP is inherited
If Inh1 = 1, then Attack is inherited
If Inh1 = 2, then Defense is inherited
If Inh1 = 3, then Speed is inherited
If Inh1 = 4, then Special Attack is inherited
If Inh1 = 5, then Special Defense is inherited

Call 4 (or s[4] in the formula below) is used to determine the second IV to be inherited.

s[4] is divided by 5 and the remainder taken (Inh2 = s[4] % 5). This result is used with the table below to determine which IV is overwritten.

If Inh2 = 0, then Attack is inherited
If Inh2 = 1, then Defense is inherited
If Inh2 = 2, then Speed is iInherited
If Inh2 = 3, then Special Attack is inherited
If Inh2 = 4, then Special Defense is Inherited

Call 5 (or s[5] in the formula below) is used to determine the third IV to be inherited.

s[5] is divided by 4 and the remainder taken (Inh3 = s[5] % 4). This result is used with the table below to determine which IV is overwritten.

If Inh3 = 0, then Attack is Inherited
If Inh3 = 1, then Speed is Inherited
If Inh3 = 2, then Special Attack is Inherited
If Inh3 = 3, then Special Defense is Inherited

The final three calls determine which parent IVs are inherited from.

Call 6 (or s[6] in the formula below) is used to determine which parent will contribute the IV that was determined by call 3.

s[6] is divided by 2 and the remainder taken (Parent1 = s[6] % 2).

If Parent1 = 0, then the IV from the parent in slot 1 is taken.
If Parent1 = 1, then the IV from the parent in slot 2 is taken.

Call 7 (or s[7] in the formula below) is used to determine which parent will contribute the IV that was determined by call 4.

s[7] is divided by 2 and the remainder taken (Parent2 = s[7] % 2).

If Parent2 = 0, then the IV from the parent in slot 1 is taken.
If Parent2 = 1, then the IV from the parent in slot 2 is taken.

Call 8 (or s[8] in the formula below) is used to determine which parent will contribute the IV that was determined by call 5.

s[8] is divided by 2 and the remainder taken (Parent3 = s[8] % 2).

If Parent3 = 0, then the IV from the parent in slot 1 is taken.
If Parent3 = 1, then the IV from the parent in slot 2 is taken.

thanks for all the info, i dont have but a few rare candies, so say i breed a poke, and want to check its IVs. At what level is it accurate enough to use an IV calculator to see the IVs? I read somewhere 45. thanks for that edit! copy/paste into text for the win!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)