wow. someone edit him into the records
anyway, ive just gone onto 168 in my lunchbreak. nothing particularly impressive, but it did beat my previous record of 165, so i'm really happy with it. battle 165 was about the most pleasurable i have had with this team - lead tyranitar made me go "oh no" and then "oh yes" when it used DD and let me get a +6+sub+SANDSTORM garchomp set up
before the end of the set of 7 i came across a PI whose lead lapras missed ALL 5 sheer cold's - i think it will consider it owes me some hax soon because of that :(
EDIT: not sure if this has been explicitly pointed out before (peterko - "im not going to tell you how to use registeel" hehe) but i often find it useful to set up curses+amnesia before
using sub, if the opponents attacks really cant do much - eg against espeon shadow ball (does 0 after leftovers once amnesia'd up). it means you can be more or less 100% confident that your sub wont break the turn before you strike with IH. exceptions would be things like ice beam or anything else that may have an adverse effect (even air slash from flinchkiss).
also, a question for peterko. i have not been doing this, but i can see that it could be possible to improve your chances slightly (at the cost of greatly prolonging battles). lets say you lock their lead on ice beam. you then go to registeel who amnesias/subs and basically wastes all their PP. then you go back to latias, trick their item back so they can get stuck on some other move that is maybe a lot less threatening to garchomp (thunderbolt), and then set up on that. hopefully by this stage registeel will be at perfect health, and useful later on.
EDIT: streak over at 174. i lost to a fan club guy (BOW BEFORE THE MIGHT OF THE FAN CLUB). well, there are a few things i learnt from the battle, and a few ways i could probably have avoided defeat, but there was certainly an element of bad luck involved.
- latias vs staraptor 4 (CB). i used trick to lower the damage from brave bird (scarf vs band) and IMMEDIATELY realised charm would have been way better - lowers damage MORE, and allows me to do it again because im still faster. anyway, it did about 50% so i switched next turn.
- registeel comes in and takes 40ish from BB.
- another 40ish, sub.
- BB crit sub breaks, curse.
- BB sub.
- here i decide i should just try and get rid of the thing before it gets another crit. BB crit sub breaks, IH dead bird. naked registeel with one curse only, and only about 50hp left.
- who should make its appearence, but our old favourite gastrodon 4. ideally i'd like to switch back and forth from steel to latias, but i'm not sure if it will use EP, given that im so low. anyway, after much deliberation (if i stay and it uses EP im screwed since i have cursed so it will outspeed me, and i cant even try tricking the choice band on because locking it onto ice beam is no good - guaranteed OHKO on chomp). so i switch, and eat a surf.
- here i wonder if it will use surf again, so i recover, and it ice beams. i end up with more hp than i started with, so i figure i will try and stall like this for a while. even if it freezes me, garchomp might be able to stall the last couple of IB's with sub.
- recover, ice beam. frozen :(
- frozen, ice beam, dead latias.
- i know garchomp cannot OHKO with either move, and that IB is a OHKO, so i send in registeel for an IH which does a little. surf KO's me.
- garchomp's outrage takes it to a SLIVER of red but it survives (no crits here) and finishes me.
oh well, next time i'd do things differently...... and im pretty happy with 174 for my first attempt with this team.
i didnt save the video (obviously i'd rather keep the one with the AI's shiny latios) but i did take a photo of the gastrodon and its stupid 1hp (btw this was a 21IV trainer - i dont think it would be possible to KO it with IH+OR with 31's - not even sure if its possible with 21's to be honest). and of course a photo of the record board. i'm at work now, so i will have to edit these in later.