Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Updating the list is greatly appreciated by me and many others - thanks, Peterko. Also, sorry to hear about your loss (obviously not in the Tower - that's still going).

Quite convenient how 1666, as well as 1337, are divisible by 7 to allow pictures of those nice numbers.

Meanwhile, I'm not battling in the Frontier for quite a while.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
nobody´s perfect and I make mistakes

warstory time

1695-1701 (don´t know exactly as this battle got erased by the second battle below before I took a look at it)
clown with jynx
trick, specs, ice beam, switch-ice beam frz, defrost after around 6 turns, he CHed with IB #9 then I switched to latias which took the 10th, set up chomp but he got a CH struggle somewhere so I “only” managed 2 SD and a sub (I think I subbed on the last struggle while being subbed already, because she was obviously faster and another CH would´ve broken the sub or something like that)
second poké mismagius, great…now steel was under 100 HP and I just outraged…magius was faster I thought shit the DB set, but no it was the other fast one using icy wind, which broke my sub and died in the process
in came metagross and I thought oh shit…locked into outrage meant if it was the ice punch/hammer arm set I would lose badly, against the QC one I´d lose if he got a QC activation turn2, these were the two sets I had in my mind at that point, anyway…
outrage, damage, zen headbutt…no MM? I wondered
next turn metagross went first (there you go QC), bullet punch (oh…owned) as I was at 41 HP
sent in registeel, my last hope, remember it was under 100 HP
I just went on and iron headed, he didn´t have “much” HP left, but it was a mistake, he hit me with zenbutt and I missed…this is where I stopped playing, as it was a very critical situation (up to this point it was a fast battle where I didn´t think about stuff that much)…I went on a journey across the house to find a ruler and seriously measure the HP bar, more exactly how much the metagross had left…

Note: the HP bar is 1,2 cm (12 mm) long

He was at under 3 mm, seemed like 2,75 mm to me, so about 35 HP (40 max if 3 mm) and my iron head does 13-16 damage lol…yeah I had to curse up once and 2HKO while facing the risk of missing again due to lax incense or being flinched &/or CHed by zenbutt
Long story short, I didn´t miss, he didn´t miss, noone CHed, I didn´t flinch…I won

Lesson learned: it´s not always good to try to set up chomp when there´s the possibility of magius4 coming in second and steel gets hard-hitted and frozen by ice beam before that, next time consider letting latias die in 2 and then set up steel, just like against ice trainers

After meeting like 8-9 PIs among the last 50 or so trainers, I faced this fella

PI Conway, battle #1719

Latias vs wailord
QC, blizzard, trick, , 81/185
Recover, 173, blizzard, 61/185
Recover, b153, blizzard, 41
Recover, 133, blizzard, 27 frozen solid
Frozen solid, blizzard miss
Switch, struggle, 163/182
SD, struggle, 146
SD, struggle, 129
Sub, 84, struggle
Quake, W fainted
Heatran
Quake, sash, flash cannon, sub broke, 84/182
Quake, heatran fainted
Forretress
Quake, miss, double-edge, CH, chomp fainted
Registeel
Quake, sub, 121, 75, 86 (seriously, what an awful mistake…I didn´t remember it had quake and didn´t check the set, awesome shitting on a high streak, looks like I want to lose or something)
Curse, quake, sub broke, 97 (now what, I´m totally screwed, I didn´t think it would break my sub at least, dmg calc shows 44-52 way to make mistakes one after another)

This is probably the second worst situation I was in, the first one was

Ice trainer with lead aboma ice beam that froze registeel and CHed me like twice but I thawed out, still at like 65 HP, set up chomp on struggle after letting latias die to the 10th beam…second poké weavile broke sub, third poke glaceon was sashed and finished off chomp…
Now if glaceon had used blizzard that turn I would´ve lost like 99%, because I missed with iron head…but glaceon haiper beamed (!), giving me another turn to hit with iron head (blizzard+blizzard or blizzard+haiper would´ve killed me)…

Back to forry, I still have my brain, so what can I do? Straight cursing up doesn´t help me against a steel type with that defense and SE quake against me…I have a frozen latias at 27 HP, awesome…RIIGHT!

Switch-quake (there´s still a chance, but not very high…as DE does 19-23 to steel)
switch-DE, 76, 87
switch-quake
switch-slide miss, 98 (good boy !)
switch-quake
switch-DE, 78, 89
switch-quake
switch-DE, 69, 80
switch-quake
switch-slide 68, 79
switch-quake
switch-DE, 60, 71
switch-quake
switch-DE, 49, 60
switch-quake
--------------------
pause here: I PP wasted quake, but it´s still far from over…at this point my initial idea was to let latias die to have a free curse afterwards, but my brain was working as needed and I remembered that 1-1, last pokémon, foe explodes and I lose

I don´t want to give him that chance, so….

switch-slide, 48, 59
slide, 45, flinch, 56
DE, 34, curse, 45
Slide, 37, curse, 48
Slide, 42, curse, 53
Slide, 47, curse, 58
DE, 51, sub, 16
Slide, curse, 27
Slide, curse, 38
DE, iron head, miss, 49 (lax incense is too evil)
Slide, iron head, 20% left, 60
DE, iron head, fainted

:D

bad luck -> awful mistake -> critical position -> perfectly played since then + no more CHs

pokémon is fun as this match could´ve been a lot more different if the latias-wailord case was different (no frz), but still if I had started to PP waste quake right from the beginning and not after being hit by 2, the battle would´ve been a breeze

EDIT: I meant SE quake not STAB, shit happens

wow quite a few close calls there peterko.

only problem i have is that you said forretress has STAB on earthquake lol

EDIT: i figured you knew forretress wasn't ground i was just having a laugh at the record holder in the only way that i probably can since 1701 and counting is so far beyond reach it is almost sickening to even think about

The battles seem to be intensifying for Peterko as his last battle log shows, great job Peterko for keeping your streak alive and good luck on the rest of your streak for however long it lasts.

Peterko

Never give up!
I remember someone talking about facing a pokémon that he shouldn´t have according to the info we have (was it you bozo?)

anyway, I just faced a trainer that´s not supposed to be there, I mean among the 100 trainers after battle #49

it was Cameraman Xenon (battle #1793) with Farfetch´d , Shellos and something I just forgot...

right after this I face another one (#1794), Lady Isabel with Shieldon, Aron and Cacnea

I wonder if this is just an in-game anomaly or something, I´m pretty sure these are trainers you see in the first set of 7

haha third trainer (#1795) is Idol Annie with Chinchou, Happiny and Swablu
fourth trainer (#1796) was Waitress Ashley with Butterfree, Castform and Lombre
fifth trainer (#1797) was Camper Bernard with Ariados, Butterfree and Kricketune
sixth trainer (#1798) was Picnicker Maggie with Chatot, Ledian and Omanyte
seventh trainer (#1799) was Battle Girl Trina with Vigoroth, Hitmonlee and Purugly

suddenly I´m scared of shedinja lol

OK it continues, afterall

#1800 is Reporter Marble with a Pidgeotto, Drifloon and Tentacool
#1801 is Veteran Padgett with Venomoth, Gorebyss and Huntail
#1802 is Cyclist Kaya with Prinplup, Mothim and Charmeleon

so the hypothesis is that after 249 sets of seven (1743 battles)ˇagainst those 100 trainers the tower starts from scratch again (?)

I´ll inform you as my streak continues (hopefully I won´t lose to NFEs omg that would be awful)

Wow cool. I wonder could you meet Palmer again? Let`s hope that Shedinjas you may encounter are leads. :P

EDIT: LOL! A new glitch discovered by Peterko? Anyways you are the best.

Peterko

Never give up!
omg hahaha what the hell

#1813 no message about palmer, just a trainer came...no entry message from him, I was like what did my game freeze or what? it was a weird kind of trainer, like a scientist (he has blue glasses or eyebrows lol, brown hair...), 100% not palmer with this slow walk

battle starts...

PALMER!!!

milotic, dragonite, rhyperior

no afterbattle message, 7 BP

that´s it, the proof that it started from battle #1, interesting

EDIT: baaah...gentleman zante with lead kingler :(
t-wave-guillotine miss, switch-crabhammer, curse-guillotine hit, trick-guillotine miss, charm(hyper cutter)-guillotine miss, charm-guillotine miss, switch-struggle, sub-struggle, SD-struggle CH, sub broke, sub-para, SD-para, quake-fainted, stantler, fainted, jumpluff, fainted

omg hahaha what the hell

#1813 no message about palmer, just a trainer came...no entry message from him, I was like what did my game freeze or what? it was a weird kind of trainer, like a scientist (he has blue glasses or eyebrows lol, brown hair...), 100% not palmer with this slow walk

battle starts...

PALMER!!!

Ok, now that is a interesting turnabout in the Battle Tower. Maybe Gamefreak didn't expect that somebody would get to 1800 wins+. If only someone else could beat another Battle facility to 1800+ to confirm this recycle of trainers

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
"surprise"

The actual surprise:

@ Choice Scarf ** We Jammin'
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252HP/4Def/252Spe
Nature: Bold
~ Trick
~ Thunderwave
~ Charm
~ Flash

I've been whispering about Trick/TW/Charm/Flash for quite a bit now (over a year), and more recently expressed my bemusement with why no one else wanted to use the set even given the proof in practice to my theory that Latias works as a Trick lead. So "if you want something done"...etc. Mesprit and Latias are two of the very few pokemon that learn all four of these moves. Gardevoir and Gallade also learn all four moves, as does Togekiss (don't say "Smeargle"). While all five have great BSTs and the required minimum 80 Base Speed, the green Psychic pair is not immune to Ground moves, which is essentially mandatory for my team. Togekiss draws Ice, which my team similarly doesn't like, and does NOT draw Dark, Ghost and Grass (Dark as much as a typical Tricker would) which Drapion loves to take advantage of.

Apart from Mesprit this leaves Latias, on whose candid concord with Drapion I've already gone into great detail. However, while the original Team DRAPULA II could deal with an Ice-weak lead, this revamp cannot. This is the main reason I went with Mesprit over Latias even though the former's defensive stats are unparalleled.

Anyway, 132 Speed with a scarf takes the Bob Marleyesque Mesprit to 198 speed, which is "good enough". 85 Base Speed like Cresselia would have been great since I want to outspeed Metagross after the Trick, but whatever. The 130 +Speed crew (200 Speed) has not been a problem at all.

Strategy is...self-explanatory, I'm not gonna "words" you here because I've been posting about this set forever.

(M) @ Black Sludge ** DRAPULA
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252HP/56Def/196SpD/4Spe
Nature: Careful
~ Crunch
~ Acupressure
~ Substitute
~ Rest

I never lost faith in you, Drapion... This Pokémon may be the single most dependable poke in the history of the BT. Especially with a Careful Nature now, which renders pretty much every non-STAB neutral special move incapable of 3HKOing. By the nature of the Mesprit/Drapion synergy, the only relevant special attacks Drapion will have to take are Ice Beam and Surf. Due to Platinum's new fetish with Signal Beam, I don't even have to take STAB Ice Beams many times, as pokemon like IB Glaceon, Jynx and Dewgong opt for Signal Beam instead. STAB Surf sucks, but only Vaporeon can 2HKO, and one uses AA while the other uses Shadow Ball (would otherwise use Signal Beam lol).

Offensively, Drapion really doesn't need any Attack EVs at all, because it literally does not matter how much damage I can do to a Steelix or a Bastiodon because Drapion does not care at all with +6 in everything. You kind of have to try it for yourself, because there's only so many words I can type about Drapion being able to spam Acupressure in everything's face after help from Mesprit. Like I noted last time, Battle Armor and Acupressure were made for each other.

I will again mention that Acupressure does not work behind a Substitute, otherwise my battles would be even easier than they already are. But I knew Team DRAPULA II still had potential for huge success, and Drapion proved me right.

(M) @ Lum Berry ** Cavalier
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252Atk/4Def/252Spe
Nature: Jolly
~ Earthquake
~ Outrage
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance

Better partner for Psychic lead/Drapion than Scizor. I've wanted to use this for a while as the Latias/Scizor/Garchomp team I posted last year underlined, and I finally did. Loves lead Electric moves, and is the go-to poke on locked 5pp moves. Odd HP for four Subs max (and not dying to Aftermath after three), otherwise this needs no explanation. Aside from the nickname:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=163&pictureid=4577

http://www.smogon.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=163&pictureid=1153

I switched from team CLS at 428 after I was done theorymonning because I was bored with it and really felt Drapion deserved a second chance, "risky" I guess but I wasn't too worried about it.

Here's a couple battle videos with Team DRAPULA II:

15-61213-11288: this was 484, lead skarmory is kind of a dick with brave bird but drapion is a boss and does not give a shit about the brightpowder poke later because acupressure rules

37-83435-33128: 862, dealing with low-pp special move and charming preemptively instead of spamming flash

I guess I wish I took more vids but almost all the other battles were incredibly boring. As for Battle 1,000, I guess lightning doesn't strike twice...

EeveeTrainer kept begging me to get to 1,000, since I told him I was past 900 about two weeks ago, so here you go. I'm probably done for a very long time in the Tower, it gets really boring after a while even with a new team and I have other stuff I want to do.

"drapion is uber"

damn jump not bad at all. you guys are nuts. too bad you won't be chasing peterko, as it would be interesting to see when you get to 1700 whatever to see if you end up looping back to the beginning trainers and palmers again.

great job though. surprised no one has hijacked drapion or tried mesprit in a big streak. pretty great though

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
omg hahaha what the hell

battle starts...

PALMER!!!

EDIT: baaah...gentleman zante with lead kingler :(
t-wave-guillotine miss, switch-crabhammer, curse-guillotine hit, trick-guillotine miss, charm(hyper cutter)-guillotine miss, charm-guillotine miss, switch-struggle, sub-struggle, SD-struggle CH, sub broke, sub-para, SD-para, quake-fainted, stantler, fainted, jumpluff, fainted
Interesting. So it loops after 256 runs(1792 battles). Your streak is now so long that the game isn't programed to handle it properly.

Also congrats Jumpman on breaking 1000 wins. I would never have thought of the Trick-Focus Sash combo. =D

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
damn jump not bad at all. you guys are nuts. too bad you won't be chasing peterko, as it would be interesting to see when you get to 1700 whatever to see if you end up looping back to the beginning trainers and palmers again.

great job though. surprised no one has hijacked drapion or tried mesprit in a big streak. pretty great though
thanks man. i'm not chasing anyone though, i kicked reason to the curb last year and chased the poster above me last year for months and once is enough

Also congrats Jumpman on breaking 1000 wins. I would never have thought of the Trick-Focus Sash combo. =D
thanks, and yeah that's actually supposed to be choice scarf, i was copy pasting from my original team that has sash on latias and then mesprit

Maybe Peterko will end up fighting the trainers in the exact same order. :p

But anyway, fighting Palmer again is a really weird surprise. It is funny that Peterko is so good that the game can't handle how good he is. :D

It was only a matter of time before Jumpman broke the 1000 battle mark in the battle tower and now it has happened, congrats Jumpman on the cool team and streak.

Peterko

Never give up!
congrats on the record

also, I want that ursaring badly, right now

record picture with awesome ursa figure > all record pics without one

I was probably the only one thinking that "surprise" would be 2002, therefor I couldn´t slack off on my streak to not be far behind after last weekend

I´m continuing my streak though

haha third trainer (#1795) is Idol Annie with Chinchou, Happiny and Swablu
fourth trainer (#1796) was Waitress Ashley with Butterfree, Castform and Lombre
fifth trainer (#1797) was Camper Bernard with Ariados, Butterfree and Kricketune
sixth trainer (#1798) was Picnicker Maggie with Chatot, Ledian and Omanyte
seventh trainer (#1799) was Battle Girl Trina with Vigoroth, Hitmonlee and Purugly

suddenly I´m scared of shedinja lol
- That's the coolest thing ever discovered in the Tower, that it repeats the cycle... I don't think Shedinja appears after the first set of seven though, does it? Also, I think it's now safe to assume a 2000+ streak from you, right Peterko?

battle starts...

PALMER!!!

Now that's interesting because I have a video:

My Weird Glitch Video

...showing that in D/P, it was possible to have that same event you described occur. That is, the random schoolkid trainer suddenly becomes Palmer (with Palmer's team) in the battle, but has a different overworld sprite and speech. Thing is, I tried this on Platinum and it didn't work, but for you this happened from getting a massive streak... weird stuff.

"surprise"
- Not even slightly surprised... I knew it was coming. Now my 3rd place 'glory' will be gone already... but you deserve the 2nd place, for sure.

- When I first scrolled down and saw Ursaring in the picture I thought it was Bozo posting the record, lol. Also, you must have a good camera to have taken that awesome photo... no jagginess on the screen, even.

- Congoats on becoming the second person to pass 1000 with proof. Especially for doing it with the not-so-defensive Mesprit, which is amazing.

- Using Acupressure to get over 1000 wins is also incredible... (if only more Pokemon had Battle Armor... such a good ability)

- I think I need a new hobby...

Jumpman16

way to go jump, im glad you put drapula to the test. but i wish drpaula was there too!!

this actually made ET and me sigh the most as we wish the original Latias/Drapion/Scizor team would have worked only because of the literally perfect nicknames synergy. i mean i guess the same trick/tw/charm/flash latias could work with scizor taking ice attacks and i could charm/flash then retrick a lot of shit after lead thunderwaves (senator drapula doesn't like having to set up paralyzed) but it doesn't seem worth it even it Dr. Paula/DRAPULA/Dr. Lapua almost makes it so, ice attacks freezing blows and i loooooooooove setting up on thunderwave and especially thunder/(bolt/punch)

congrats on the record

also, I want that ursaring badly, right now

record picture with awesome ursa figure > all record pics without one

thanks and CaptKirby sent it to me for free along with the tiny teddiursa and a 3" teddiursa plush, he rules

I was probably the only one thinking that "surprise" would be 2002, therefor I couldn´t slack off on my streak to not be far behind after last weekend

I´m continuing my streak though

i honestly don't understand why you still care about that, at all. i mean if i get to 1900 or 2000 or 2100 before you, why do you care if you still have your streak? if anyone should care about not being perceived as "the best" it should be me because i dont have the record, yet i dont care. are you really going to feel that inferior to me with an 1800+ streak if you lose and i eventually overtake you?

like i said a few months ago, you can only really affect your own streak, so just dont lose because i'm probably not going to (this team is ~570-0)

...showing that in D/P, it was possible to have that same event you described occur. That is, the random schoolkid trainer suddenly becomes Palmer (with Palmer's team) in the battle, but has a different overworld sprite and speech. Thing is, I tried this on Platinum and it didn't work, but for you this happened from getting a massive streak... weird stuff.

yeah that's really weird, too bad you can't really benefit from it at all, actually losing 16 BP in the process. (also the rest of your team probably doesnt care but you should have used CC on dragonite after the crunch!)

- Not even slightly surprised... I knew it was coming. Now my 3rd place 'glory' will be gone already... but you deserve the 2nd place, for sure.

- When I first scrolled down and saw Ursaring in the picture I thought it was Bozo posting the record, lol. Also, you must have a good camera to have taken that awesome photo... no jagginess on the screen, even.

thanks man. and yeah im still stunned at how well that picture came out, i mean i guess i have a nice camera but it's over five years old and by no means top-notch, i just know how to take advantage of lighting and camera features mainly

- Congoats on becoming the second person to pass 1000 with proof. Especially for doing it with the not-so-defensive Mesprit, which is amazing.

- Using Acupressure to get over 1000 wins is also incredible... (if only more Pokemon had Battle Armor... such a good ability)

yeah im happier about using mesprit and drapion successfully than actually passing 1,000, neither are highly regarded at all either ingame or competitively

- Come on people, let's start a petition for the developers of future Pokemon games to offer the option to ban all critical hits in the Battle Frontier. Critical hits are stupid.
they sure are...

Congratulations on the second 1001, Jumpman. I was indeed surprised to see Mesprit and Drapion there instead of the usual stuff. ;D Are you suspending the streak forever or is there a chance you will continue it one day? (Well, if I were you or Peterko, I would play till I lose in some way, but I would never play the Tower again afterwards. I won't get to 1001+ myself, though...lol)

That last thing said, I'm not even getting to 1001 in the Castle right now. Sorry, Bozo, for failing at the competition. :( I can't tell if I will start a new streak even in 2009, but if I do, I might change the team once more to make stuff a bit more interesting... Not sure about that though, because I just played this very single streak with this team and the loss could have been avoided far too easily. I guess I know what I should be doing next time... Long story short; on to the facts:

My result:
407 wins (from second place to second place...lol) in Battle Castle singles.

My team:
Just as mentioned earlier, I revisited the old and successful proven Starmie/Garchomp/Steel-type combo, which I even got a record lasting for half a year with. The team is totally different than from before though.

Bellatrix (Starmie)
Natural Cure
Timid, 252 Special Attack & Speed, 4 Defense
@ Choice Specs
~ Surf
~ Psychic
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
>>> The well-known lead, but not with Life Orb, because draining HP in the Castle would be really disadvantageous, as it will not only be killed by stuff it would survive otherwise, but it would also decrease the amount of CP earned after almost every match. Furthermore, Spex yield more power (and thus more Lv.55 1HKOs for more CP!) and the lock is absolutely no problem after all, since the other two team members cover everything that would be meant to hit Starmie:

Hai Noon (Garchomp m)
Jolly, 252 Attack & Speed, 4 HP
@ Focus Sash
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Flamethrower
~ Swords Dance
>>> (He should actually be named "unban me", but that would certainly not be original. ;D) Just as in Trick teams, Garchomp enjoys Electric attacks and especially how a healthy Starmie attracts them. The moves are self-explanatory except for maybe Flamethrower which I still like more than the unreliable Fire Blast and Fire Fang (so that was my explanation). Focus Sash is rarely needed, but a nice insurance for random crits and unavoidable Ice moves, which hopefully won't freeze.

Geier (Skarmory m)
Sturdy
Careful, 252 HP, 244 Special Defense, 12 Speed
@ Leftovers
~ Drill Peck
~ Substitute
~ Toxic
~ Roost
>>> Geier is the German word for vulture and also an expression for someone who impertinently attacks somehow already damaged people for his own advantage or amusement; nothing would fit better to a bird like this. He can even stall many special attackers to death with these EVs, even if they pack neutral STABs (special attack shouldn't be too high then though). Two kinds of neutral STAB are an annoyance though, and these are Ice (3-4HKOs with nasty freezes, physical Ice attacks like Froslass's Ice Punch are just as dangerous) and Fighting (often renders Roost useless). The set, once more, is nothing outrageously new; the idea was stolen from Peterko's DP Tower team, but I came up with my own EVs to fight the Ice (and partly Psychic) Problem better and I like Drill Peck more, because I would really hate the Brave Bird recoil. When I want to stall, I certainly don't want to lose more HP than I recover with Leftovers - especially not in the Castle, where HP do matter. And last but not least, Sturdy rocks. Skarmory counters most OHKOers easily, some of them on Lv.45 by stalling their PP (e.g. Whiscash and that grisly Wailord) and the rest of them is taken care of by Starmie and Garchomp (e.g. Rapidash and Bastiodon).

How I lost:
Carelessness. Skarmory beats Scizor 4 without problems and is then sacrificed against Magnet Pull Magnezone 4. Garchomp comes in to finish it with EQ and damage the following Snorlax 4 hard, but stop, not so fast! EQ misses against BrightPowder and Flash Cannon brings Garchomp to yellow HP. Because I didn't care to lower Zone's level (I never did), I missed also the second EQ and lost my second Pokémon to that Russian magnet. Starmie's Surf hit afterwards, but that was just no use because of Snorlax as his last one. On top of that, Zone survives and finishes me fast with a final Thunderbolt.

So now I'm enjoying another Frontier break. ;D

Jumpman, doesnt it take ages to have +6 in every stat with Drapion? And doesnt Accup. select +2 defense when you already have +6 defense? Which let the process take longer.

first things first, yesterday i saw another shiny in the battle castle. it was over a thousand battles after my previous one (you'll be able to see roughly where i'm currently up to in the video, and i had 174 BT matches in between) so thats about 3000 pokemon ive seen since the latios i posted about earlier. guess thats still pretty lucky. have any of you guys seen any? between jumpman and peterko, about 3000 battles = about 9000 pokemon - the odds are pretty good of seeing one. but the only other one ive heard of is a guy on youtube who faced a shiny lunatone.

anyway, heres the video of the shiny infernape i saw:

warstory time
wow - some amazingly close matches there!!

btw i remembered something funny that happened twice to me while trying a cresselia a while ago:

1. cresselia used trick - cresselia obtained iron ball, machamp obtained choice scarf. machamp used fling, machamp threw its choice scarf.
i got through both matches ok (latios ftw) but pretty funny. i think i'd be a little worried about taking on such a machamp with registeel/garchomp. has this ever happened to you in your 1700+ battles?

I remember someone talking about facing a pokémon that he shouldn´t have according to the info we have (was it you bozo?)
it was a clefable with meteor mash i think - i just reckon it got left off the list by accident or something.

omg hahaha what the hell

PALMER!!!
amazing discovery!! i will try and get that far in the castle, although no guarantees. my current streak has had a few more close calls than my last one, including one that really pissed me off. i'd dealt with their first two pokes easily, with blissey+milotic at full health, and salamence in at about 50%. in comes chesto gyaradosm, so i switch out to milotic and back to salamence, while dos DD's and then EQ's. easy, right? all i have to do is take a non-boosted (DD+intimidate cancel) NVE waterfall and OHKO with outrage, right? wrong, waterfall, flinch; waterfall, flinch. now i am low enough that another waterfall will KO. so i switch in milotic again, take the waterfall and then toxic stall it while it spams EQ (no more DD's for some stupid reason - i was lucky). it uses rest when it gets low and i start again. after the second rest salamence comes back in and OHKO's it with outrage while it sleeps.

i also had a pretty close call with a psychic trainer. i had the battle mapped out - kill the first poke (alakazam?) with bliss and draw in gallade, sacrifice bliss and OHKO with aerial ace, then let milotic deal with the slowking that came in next. so, i did the first two steps and had salamence facing level 55 gallade, then thought "hang on, outrage OHKO's both these guys" so chose that instead and was immediately reminded that this was the bright powder gallade. i missed and it KO'd me with ice punch. luckily milotic got off a toxic and then survived the thunderpunch barrage (no crits - intimidate helped).

there was another one that i had all mapped out, then thought i'd be clever, and got critted, ending up with only salamence left against a gallade at around 60% with a magnezone still to come. the crit stopped my milotic being left as a sac-switch which would have let me use AA on gallade and EQ on zone. but i had to just use EQ on both and hope it had enough power to finish gallade, which it did.

"surprise"

thats a really sexy ursaring!!

and congrats on the streak - nice team :) can you upload a video or two on youtube? for some reason i have problems downloading/uploading those recorded matches. the world at large would love to see your team too :)

record picture with awesome GREEN ursa figure > record picture with awesome ursa figure > all record pics without one
very strange! have you tried that in platinum? it would certainly help with the 1-49 race! EDIT: sorry, just read your description - no platinum version of the glitch.

So now I'm enjoying another Frontier break. ;D
bad luck man, i was actually hoping you'd beat my 568 so i'd have something to aim at, but i guess now there is the facing-darach-again thing.

that was indeed a crap ending - you obviously had the guy completely covered, and he needed severe hax and got it. what annoys me is that when something like that happens it is when they actually can use it the most. like my story above - gyarados gets two flinches in a row against salamence when it needed them, not against say milotic, when it was doing almost no damage, and dying to toxic in the meantime...

Jumpman16

Jumpman, doesnt it take ages to have +6 in every stat with Drapion? And doesnt Accup. select +2 defense when you already have +6 defense? Which let the process take longer.
yeah, like miscellaneous said, it's 21 turns max to get boosted in everything. only on shoddy can acupressure select a stat that is already at +6, i actually noticed our long description on smogon was wrong months ago after i first started using drapion and it's since been fixed (though not on shoddy cause it's evidently right on sb2).

21 turns is kind of a long time otherwise, but there is no more "worth it" payoff in the battle frontier as far as i know (a lot, let's be honest). as fearsome as both scizor and garchomp are at +6 and subbed, all it takes is two brightpowders to dispatch with either of them, and an incredible number of pokemon are capable of doing this to either pokemon and KOing. some only need to bped garchomp once, like timid latias and latios, and timid espeon and alakazam, and pokemon like jolly eq/dc@bp garchomp may only need one to be a total dick. remember, my "lol 499" in pearl was in large part to getting brped twice by one of the few pokemon that can ohko scizor—if i only get BPed once there I have a great shot at still winning with latios in the end. if he doesn't already, peterko should flinch every time he has to face gallade or garchomp and doesnt know the set (or knows it's bp) with "completely set up" garchomp because 1% is never small enough

one of the most underrated things about acupressure (besides, well, everything) is the accuracy boost making bp, lax incense and double team completely worthless—and i only need one of them to feel secure with drapion. ideally, i only need 10-11 actual sharp boosts with acupressure: 2-3 Atk, 2 Def, 2 SpD, 1 Spe (this outspeed all but two pokemon and both are too stupid to not try and give me their scarves through my sub), 1 Accuracy, and 2 Evasion. that's all Drapion needs for a "100%" chance of winning. the only reason I have to put that in quotes is the three QC pokemon with QC OHKO moves who could possibly survive a +4 Crunch from Drapion (Wailord cannot, nice 45 base defense lol) in Rhydon, Lapras and Donphan) and QC OHKO it before it can deliver the killing blow (+4 Crunch always 2HKOes the trio).

that's it. Skarmory, Houndoom, Lucario and Rhyperior are the only pokemon that can Roar out a setup Drapion (Houndoom because of Sash), but they also have to hit through evasion if they even select Roar in the first place, and I like Garchomp's chances if that even happens (Skarmory can't exactly do anything if this actually happens).

everything else loses to set up drapion 100% of the time, and that's pretty comforting to know

have any of you guys seen any? between jumpman and peterko, about 3000 battles = about 9000 pokemon - the odds are pretty good of seeing one. but the only other one ive heard of is a guy on youtube who faced a shiny lunatone.
no, and that's actually kind of annoying me now to know that there was actually a chance to see one. if every battle point i have earned is equivalent to 3 pokemon (it's less in the hall but i did at least like 900 doubles battles so whatever) then i've seen well over 50,000 pokemon in the frontier...and no shiny. that's really weak lol

btw i remembered something funny that happened twice to me while trying a cresselia a while ago:

1. cresselia used trick - cresselia obtained iron ball, machamp obtained choice scarf. machamp used fling, machamp threw its choice scarf.
i got through both matches ok (latios ftw) but pretty funny. i think i'd be a little worried about taking on such a machamp with registeel/garchomp. has this ever happened to you in your 1700+ battles?
you're probably thinking of hariyama or rampardos since no dppt machamp have fling but cresselia is still able to flash all of these threats and reflect on the way out to whatever needs to set up, i was never really bothered by it

thats a really sexy ursaring!!

and congrats on the streak - nice team :) can you upload a video or two on youtube? for some reason i have problems downloading/uploading those recorded matches. the world at large would love to see your team too :)
thanks, that's weird about the battle videos, do you mean just you when you try other peoples' videos in general or mine in particular?

I already posted my Battle Tower streak in Platinum so here are the other facilites. (I may have posted some of them before but I'm not sure which one of those.)

In Battle Factory (Open level) my streak is 49 and it's still on. Here are the rentals I used in battles 42-49:

888 | Arcanine | Adamant | Focus Band | Flare Blitz | ExtremeSpeed | Crunch | Thunder Fang | Atk/Spe
935 | Cresselia | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Energy Ball | Charge Beam | HP/SpA
781 | Skarmory | Adamant | Life Orb | Brave Bird | Steel Wing | X-Scissor | Rock Slide | Atk/Def

In the 49th battle against Thorton he had:

917 | Registeel | Adamant | Leftovers | Iron Head | Toxic | Double Team | Iron Defense | HP/Def/SpD
767 | Swampert | Adamant | Rindo Berry | Earthquake | Aqua Tail | Avalanche | Mirror Coat | HP/Atk
828 | Ampharos | Quiet | Zoom Lens | Thunder | Focus Blast | Signal Beam | Power Gem | HP/SpA

Battle Factory was the haxiest place in Frontier and IMO it was very difficult to get the Gold Print from there. The second match against Thorton was nothing special. I was lucky he had Registeel as a lead and I had Arcanine, who 2HKO'd Registeel easily. Swampert was taken down my Cresselia, though Swampert got a Critical Hit Aqua Tail on Cresselia, which wasn't much of a surprise. Ampharos was easy to take down with Arcanine, though it got Cresselia down with Thunder before fainting.

In Battle Hall I have a 170 win streak (and it's still on, haven't tried since I got the Gold Print) with Alakazam. I used the following move set:

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Timid
EV's: 6 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
IV's: 29 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
Psychic
Focus Blast
Signal Beam
Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Shock Wave / Swagger

I have 49 win streaks on both Battle Castle and Battle Arcade and the streaks are still on as well since I haven't tried either of them after I got the Gold Print. I used the following team in both facilites:

Gyarados (F)
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
IVs: 31 / 31 / 27 / x / 26 / 31
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Att / 176 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Electivire (M)
Ability: Motor Drive
IVs: 31 / 31 / 28 / 25 / 25 / 31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake

Heracross (M)
Ability: Guts
IVs: 28 / 31 / 30 / x / 30 / 31
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Night Slash

Gyarados was a good lead thanks to Intimidate. If there were any signs of Electric attacks I switched Electivire in. I barely used Heracross here since GyaraVire sweeped most of the opponents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)