i lost battle 1160, which means my finished streak is 1159
:( i'll update with pics etc when i have time.
EDIT: who said pikachu isn't tough
here's the video
of my demise.
dragon tamer - usually pretty easy. sends out rhydon. tldr - quick claw horn drill.
1. quick claw activates. rhydon uses horn drill - its a OHKO!
its pretty much over at this point. there was a 1/4 chance it was this rhydon, a 1/3 chance it'd pick this move, a 1/10 chance its quick claw would activate, and a 3/10 chance it would hit. i feel like its a pretty long shot (1/400 odds from the time i saw rhydon come out - similar to 5 consecutive OHKO moves hitting), but there's actually nothing any trick lead can do about this possibility.
i have 2 options here, both of which are pretty bad. this rhydon has stab supereffective base 100 moves against both my remaining pokes, not to mention a OHKO move, and the ever present threat of quick claw. i could
try and switch between registeel/salamence, hoping it would do the logical thing of EQ against steel and SE against salamence. but from experience, i know it sometimes chooses stone edge randomly when there are more logical moves to use. also theres nothing to stop it from using horn drill at some random point.
2. i send in registeel. i decide i'll at least try and get one or two iron heads in, hoping to bring it into KO range for salamence's EQ, just in case - registeel is faster afterall (besides, i could flinch it a few times in a row, right? lol). so... iron head does about 30-40%, and EQ takes me down to about 40hp.
3. quick claw activates again, and EQ KO's steel.
if this hadnt happened, salamence would have had a guaranteed KO with EQ. oh well.... its not like i'm expecting to win at this point.
4. i send in salamence. my only hope is to sub, hoping for stone edge to miss (or for him to choose horn drill and it miss), all the while hoping that quick claw does not activate. in past experience, subbing while hoping for something to be FP, this never works for me. so.... sub. stone edge, sub breaks.
5. sub. stone edge. sub breaks.
no luck so far, but at least QC hasnt been a bastard.....
6. quick claw activates. rhydon used stone edge. ahhhh you bastard.... thats it...... good game...... farewell battle tower..... but wait... stone edge missed. salamence used sub. maybe, just maybe.....
7. salamence used dragon dance. rhydon used stone edge. sub breaks.
i have an easy KO now as EQ does a minimum of about 165 and the rhydon is more like at about 140. also, this is
a dragon tamer, so theres a chance the backups will be something like kingdra and salamence, both easy KO's with outrage. i am a little
8. quick claw activates. rhydon used stone edge. KO's salamence.
but no such luck.
so that's it, a rather predictable way to end my streak - the frontier essentially decided it was time to boot me out. in my opinion, this doesnt make me any better than the people further down this list, or any worse than those above. the frontier decides when you're finished. if you can get a streak of about 300 i think you're pretty good, and your fate is really at the mercy of the frontier. i dont think there is a single team imagineable that could beat this kind of trick team without some kind of insane hax, so its just a matter of sitting around waiting for it to happen (3x crits to DrDimentio, 4x guillotine to peterko, etc).
i cant be bothered calculating the odds of all that hax. of the 4 QC activations (in 8 turns lol) three were crucial to the outcome, none more so than the first though - if this hadnt happened, salamence would have had a relatively easy set-up, depending on how many times horn drill broke my sub. ok stone edge did miss that turn, but guess what - it hit 4/5 times, and it is an 80% accurate move, so i guess i was owed one.
my first thoughts were that garchomp would have had a better time than salamence here, resisting stone edge. but i saved the video, and checked out the backup pokes - he also had a steelix and sceptile - and i ended up not so sure. depending on the movesets of the backups, it could have gone either way. if garchomp had EQ'd the rhydon on turn 4, it would have had to face steelix+sceptile naked - if sceptile came out first garchomp would have to outrage, and then steelix has a free move or two - one of the three possible steelix's has ice fang (and shuca berry), and would easily defeat garchomp, and the sceptiles could all hurt him (they all outspeed garchomp - dragon pulse mucks him up and a crit leaf blade would be trouble too - neither being a OHKO, but enough to give steelix a pretty easy win). needless to say if garchomp had chosen anything else on turn 4, it was just giving the rhydon extra turns to OHKO with horn drill (and allowing QC more opportunities to screw you). also, there have been other battles ive been glad to have salamence instead of garchomp - this streak would not have been this long the other way around. so i feel like i couldnt have done much more to win this battle.
not really sure what i'll do now (if anything) in pokemon. i do have a current battle castle streak of a few hundred going - not sure how big as i havent looked at it for a while. i might just wait til HG/SS hit australia...