Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Answers in bold

It seems that it was worth the try, but in the end, will fail at some point. Still has some potential if Perish Song works.
What he's saying about Protect/Detect is that they do NOT have a guaranteed success rate when alternated, e.g:
Turn 1: Protect, always succeeds
Turn 2: Detect, 50% failure chance
Turn 3: Protect, 50% failure chance

And so on. Therefore, the entire strategy is worthless.

three days. three days, 10 hours of sleep, 3 mugs of coffee
I have to say, coffee is the only thing that has gotten me to a 36-streak in the Factory. This facility requires your utmost attention to every detail at all times. I don't even attempt the other facilities anymore, it seems almost pointless to try and reach some of the phenomenal records posted on this forum. :P

I have a question if you're down to your last pokemon and your opponent is down to their last and you use explosion fainting both of the pokemon who wins?

What he's saying about Protect/Detect is that they do NOT have a guaranteed success rate when alternated, e.g:

really? ok then what about endure+protect? I know this whole strategy is already worthless for other reasons, but I thought for sure that detect+protect is 100% protection.

EDIT: ok, i get it. it won't work. you don't need to tell me a thousand times.

really? ok then what about endure+protect? I know this whole strategy is already worthless for other reasons, but I thought for sure that detect+protect is 100% protection.
Nope, detect+protect, or endure+protect both fail 50% of the time after the first one. Otherwise it would be broken.

Dark-Ryu

Spammer
Has anyone thought of this for singles BT:
EDIT: better idea, start with meta
EDIT2: switched Azelf and Metagross(if only you could have two metagross on a team)
EDIT3: i think focus sash is better on azelf
EDIT4: made azelf more diverse and figured out ev's. added more description.

Azelf@sash
Naive
216 spe/40 atk/252 spa
-explosion
-fake out
-shadow ball/fire blast
-grass knot

just kill the first one by any means necessary, then see if you're Smeargle's faster or not. If it is, switch. if not, stay in and die. If you exploded, switch to it anyways. i'm starting to think that this should be replaced. but, i have no idea what to replace it with, so for now, this is what you're stuck with. fake out the first turn to remove sashes. shadow ball is for ghosts, fire blast is for steels, grass knot is for rock.
And how do you get Fake out on Azelf? O.o?
Bozo, your record is impressive >.<

In this situation, if you explode, they win. If they explode (and you die), they win.

Well that's bad news so I guess if I'm down to my last pokemon which knows explosion I should opt for one of his other moves, anyway as an update on my current streak which probably no one will really care about as it is relatively low, 35 Platinum Battle Tower Singles, I'm starting to notice the AI is bringing more bulky water teams to try and defeat me although I have no problem defeating them although I did have some trouble with this pokemon:

612 | Milotic | Impish | Leftovers | Toxic | Confuse Ray | Double Team | Aqua Ring | HP/Def

It got the maximum amount of Double Teams up and had poisoned two of my pokemon while my third one is immune to toxic so that was nice, in order to beat it I constantly switched between my pokemon because it kept using confuse ray so it was only a matter of time before it ran out of pp but, that wasn't how it went down instead my last pokemon who was immune to it's toxic got a few successful hits off with its Hidden Power Grass:) So the rest of the team then fell after getting past that. I can tell that these kind of pokemon will be the downfall of this team but, I will continue my Battle Tower onslaught, good luck to everyone else who is in the Battle Frontier.

Hey, I'm not a "he"!
But this person's point still stands, you'd be better off using a full offense team imapedarsag.

Also remember that Perish song takes like 5 turns.

Also remember that Perish song takes like 5 turns.
After 3 turns, all Pokémon that were on the field when Perish Song was used will faint unless they switch out.
It's 3 turns :)

EDIT/RANT: Okay, I want to get the Battle Arcade gold print in Soul Silver and I've been trying to get it for 2 days. All ended in shitty panels and hax. Here's the latest battle vid if you want to watch it: 68-64119-41224. (Playing Soul Silver) That battle was supposed to be easy.

And how do you get Fake out on Azelf? O.o?
Bozo, your record is impressive >.<
mwahahahaha DR in the battle frontier thread - awesome - you gonna start doing BF?

and yeah, i was gonna say that about fake out, not that the team really has any potential to speak of.

pretty sure it goes 100% turn 1, 50% turn 2, 25% turn 3, etc. this goes for protect, detect, endure. if the move fails, then it goes back up to 100% on the next turn.

EDIT: oh yeah, i almost forgot. yesterday i saw clefable in the battle castle (missing from the list, last time i checked), so i checked its stats and moves:

Clefable - Adamant - Focus Band - 202/134/93/94/110/80 - Return, Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Sing - 252 Atk / 252 HP

the bastard put my salamence to sleep after hanging on with its focus band :pirate:

pretty sure it goes 100% turn 1, 50% turn 2, 25% turn 3, etc. this goes for protect, detect, endure. if the move fails, then it goes back up to 100% on the next turn.
IIRC it goes 100%, then 50% until you use a move that isn't detect/protect/endure. Staying at 50% even if it fails.

IIRC it goes 100%, then 50% until you use a move that isn't detect/protect/endure. Staying at 50% even if it fails.
according to psypokes:
Almost always goes first. The user is protected from all attacks for one turn, but the move's success rate halves with each consecutive use of Protect, Detect or Endure. If a Pokemon has No Guard, or used Lock-On or Mind Reader against the user during the previous turn, its attack has a [100 - move's normal accuracy]% chance to hit through Protect; OHKO moves do not benefit from this effect. Blizzard has a 30% to hit through this move during Hail, as does Thunder during Rain Dance.

Sorry if this question has been asked 100 times, but are the pokemon sets in HG/SS the same as in Platinum? Or will there be new sets and trainers to accomodate for things like move tutors and, say, fire breathers?

Sorry if this question has been asked 100 times, but are the pokemon sets in HG/SS the same as in Platinum? Or will there be new sets and trainers to accomodate for things like move tutors and, say, fire breathers?
As far as my streak went (lost at 72), I could say they're still the same. I have faced the same trainers/mons from Platinum. There are new sprites for some of the trainers but their names are the same. As for the move tutors, there's one outside the Battle Frontier where you can trade your Battle Points for moves. And yes, PIs are still gay.

I have what might be kind of a stupid question, but what do people usually do against the 14 or so Pokemon that can carry u-turn when they see them as leads?

I'm using Bozo's Latias-Registeel-Salamence team, and twice now I've had my shit handed to me by leads that I tricked (which, I admit, may have been a stupid move =/), that then took my choice scarf away and left me trying to deal with pokes that I couldn't lock into a move =(

well, i've been away for about three months, and i still have yet to get gold in the factory.

230 hours. that's 210 hours of nothing but factory. that's 210 hours of my level 33 gyarados being in the daycare, and i am reminded of how i ruined his life every time i turn my ds on. i just don't know what to do.

well, i've been away for about three months, and i still have yet to get gold in the factory.

230 hours. that's 210 hours of nothing but factory. that's 210 hours of my level 33 gyarados being in the daycare, and i am reminded of how i ruined his life every time i turn my ds on. i just don't know what to do.
:'(

i'm pretty sure i did that much in emerald too. have you ever tried level 50 with little-no swapping? thats what eventually worked for me in emerald, and it worked very quickly when i made the strategy switch.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
factory should be prohibited as it´s torture :(

borrow / get another DS lite with HG/SS and play two streaks simultaneously on two cartridges...this way you get twice as many efforts during the same amount of (wasted) time

this is what I´m gonna do soon in the hall with...umm (I bred another two, actually three of those last saturday, training up to lv.100 takes time though), sitting at 50 right now, not continuing, because

I got my Heart Gold & Soul Silver delivered yesterday, that´s just 11 days after the NA release, which is amazing as this is probably the earliest I ever got pokémon games

funny thing is that HG is the american version and soul silver (much cooler box btw.) seems to be european (I´ll check this when I get back home)...dunno how the shop I ordered it at gets the games, I don´t care lol

I chose a female jolly toto (didn´t SR) and traded over a naughty outrage/quake/d-claw/thrower girl-gible along with the obvious two items (amulet coin and lucky egg), both pokés are at lv.20 after I got the second badge (3:41 game time I think)...
lol bugsy´s scyther is u-turning like crazy

also getting used to the slightly different handling, they emphasize the stylus more (the menu is on the touch-screen), I don´t like it that much

yeah, that was way off topic :/

anyway, sunday in a week is the first anniversary of this topic, it´d be cool if everyone posted about their current streaks. I´ll probably post the 220 hall one unless I get a better streak by then

Okay, I finally got the gold print on Arcade. Streak ended at 52.
51 wins in Soul Silver Battle Arcade.

Garchomp
Adamant
6HP/252Atk/252Speed
Outrage/Earthquake/Crunch/Rock Slide

Suicune
Bold
252HP/252Def/6SpDef
Surf/Ice Beam/Calm Mind/Rest

Gengar
Timid
6HP/252SpAtk/252Speed
Shadow Ball/Sludge Bomb/Thunderbolt/Destiny Bond

Strategy is for Garchomp to kill anything that stands in his way. Switch to Suicune when facing ice type mons or when I feel like Garchomp can't take on the opposing mon. Gengar is the revenge killer, because of his ridiculous speed, he finishes off the weakened mon then Destiny Bond the next for the win.

I lost to Honchkrow4, Metagross4 and Drapion4 and the Trick Room panel. Anyone know if Honchkrow4 is running super luck?
Here's the video: 92-08553-85314

Well Omoplata it is possible because the abilities of the pokemon in the battle frontier are random so the Honchkrow you were facing could have had Super Luck. It's a 50/50 chance that you were facing a Honchkrow with either Insomnia or Super Luck.

factory should be prohibited as it´s torture :(

borrow / get another DS lite with HG/SS and play two streaks simultaneously on two cartridges...this way you get twice as many efforts during the same amount of (wasted) time

this is what I´m gonna do soon in the hall with...umm (I bred another two, actually three of those last saturday, training up to lv.100 takes time though), sitting at 50 right now, not continuing, because

I got my Heart Gold & Soul Silver delivered yesterday, that´s just 11 days after the NA release, which is amazing as this is probably the earliest I ever got pokémon games

funny thing is that HG is the american version and soul silver (much cooler box btw.) seems to be european (I´ll check this when I get back home)...dunno how the shop I ordered it at gets the games, I don´t care lol

I chose a female jolly toto (didn´t SR) and traded over a naughty outrage/quake/d-claw/thrower girl-gible along with the obvious two items (amulet coin and lucky egg), both pokés are at lv.20 after I got the second badge (3:41 game time I think)...
lol bugsy´s scyther is u-turning like crazy

also getting used to the slightly different handling, they emphasize the stylus more (the menu is on the touch-screen), I don´t like it that much

yeah, that was way off topic :/

anyway, sunday in a week is the first anniversary of this topic, it´d be cool if everyone posted about their current streaks. I´ll probably post the 220 hall one unless I get a better streak by then
yeah, i got mine yesterday - only a couple of weeks behind the US - had to wait months for d/p!! fun game so far (only one badge at this point), but did you know you can still do the menu stuff with the buttons? also, i like how you can push the running shoes button on the touch screen, and you run without having to hold b down.

cool about the 1 yr anniversary! if i post first thing on sunday, you will all think it was saturday (10:13am saturday morning in sydney at present).

Well! I just lost a streak again, and I doubt I'm going to start another streak by tomorrow for the 1 year anniversary lol, not that my streak that significant or anything anyway. 145 streak in Double Battle Tower (Platinum). At least it is over half way to my best streak (271) this time.

Same team as my previous 120 streak:
Gengar Timid @ sash: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt / Energy Ball / Destiny Bond
Metagross Adamant @ scarf: Explosion / Iron Head / Earthquake / Thunderpunch
Azelf Hasty @ Life Orb: Explosion / Psychic / Grass Knot / Flamethrower
Heatran Timid @ Lum Berry: Explosion / Flamethrower / Earth Power / Protect

How I lost:
I could have won lol. I wasn't thinking properly. It was a legends team with Articuno, Registeel, Regirock, Heatran.

1st turn:
Explosion + Thunderbolt on Registeel. Articuno fainted. Registeel used Earthquake for no damage to anyone.
// I just didn't want potential sheer cold

2nd turn: I switch in Azelf. Opp switched in Heatran.
Azelf Flamethrower KO Registeel. Genger Tbolt Heatran for some damage.
Heatran Dark Pulse Azelf KO.
// I did not want to explode with Azelf yet, since I thought Azelf could survive one hit from Heatran (so Azelf could explode to deal heavy damage or KO to the next switch in pokemn), and plus there's always the 50% chance that it'd attack Gengar instead. But nope. In retrospect, I should have just exploded with Gengar Tbolt KO Heatran, since 2 full health Pokemon (Gengar sash still intact) vs one remaining one has really good chance of winning...

3rd turn: I switch in Heatran. Opponent switched in Regirock.
My Heatran Protect. Gengar Energy Ball Regirock. >50% damage.
Heatran dark pulse Gengar sash. Regirock stone edge Gengar KO.
// I was thinking they'd attack Heatran. This turn = another mistake. So pretty much over now. I still did not look at the pokemon list though since I never seem to do that when playing haha. I figured op's heatran might not have earth power, so I EP Regirock for KO, but lo and behold op's heatran also has earth power and KO'd my Heatran.

What I SHOULD have done in 3rd turn was genger energy ball regirock, heatran earth power op's heatran for KO, because op's regirock probably isn't going to use EQ even if it has it since it KO's its own Heatran. Also, even if it did use EQ and KOs Heatran (it might not KO), since energy ball did >50% damage, gengar with its sash still intact would have KO'd the turn after even if it's the QC Regirock (I checked the pkmn list just now), and if it isn't the QC one, then lol, hammer arm wouldn't even KO heatran so in my 4th turn I should have attacked op's heatran. Interesting thing is that Shuca would have saved me in this match (my previous 120 streak had shuca), but there was a close match around 130-ish streak where lum might have saved me.

Anyway, basically, I made a ton of mistakes hehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)