Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Why is the D/P records separated from the Pt/HG/SS records?
Anyways, has anyone tried the HG/SS Battle Frontier? Are there any differences from the Platinum BT, I mean moveset wise?

Thinking about Peterko's Hall streak. I'm thinking a specially based grass type, with overgrow. Which means sceptile, meganium, or venasaur. All benifit from loss of health, are screwed by Sandstorm, and lose to fire.

apparently we ride them to work sometimes :)
Lol!

really?? why? because most of my other streaks ended to some kind of stupidity on my part? you could be forgiven for thinking so i spose ;) actually, i'm "happy" it ended that way, where i really didnt have any say in the matter......
Heh, that was sarcasm on my part... I knew you'd lose to hax and only hax.

so, you're getting HG then? ive preordered SS myself. we'll have to battle your ho-oh against my lugia - HYYYPAAARRRRR BEEEEEEEMZZZZZZZ :nerd:
Yeah, because I'll just end up with a level 70 Lugia that requires less training, while using Level 45 Ho-Oh in my 'story' playthrough. But really, I'm just in it for Kyogre and Latias. Also, only noobs use Hyper Beam, noob! STAB Aerial Ace rips all my opponents to shreds.

Oh, and since HG/SS are undoubtedly being played by many of the people who frequent this thread, I hope somebody can soon post here about whether the movesets are different in the basically-identical Frontier.

I am here to post a new team but this time it is for double battles arcade.

Gyarados
Adamant
4/252/252

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Ice Fang

Garchomp
Jolly
4/252/252

-Outrage
-Earthquake
-stone edge
-fire fang

Latios
Timid
4/252/252

-dragon pulse
-psychic
-surf
-thunderbolt

Ok so just 3 random pokes and 12 attacking pokes but there is a strategy.
Basically Garchomp can earthquake while gyarados waterfalls a flier/levitator
to take out both pokes, this will most of the time happen and I can then double target the last for an easy win. Garchomp and gyarados were well thought out while i needed some backup who was a leviator and can take special attacks well and launch them back too. I have only just started playing with this team and it has gone well with neither gyarados or garchomp dying yet and i will probably post when i lose or i reach 1000+ lol.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you will need a way to counter ice pokemon as garchomp is 4x weak and lati is weak to it as well, gyarados isn't strong to it either, also i would for-go surf on the lati for another attack seeing as garchomp doesn't like them and gyarados is strong to them, but still its not good to hit your own pokes with moves, also you cant pick the attack target for outrage it auto does it (it will always pick an enemy but it may not be the enemy yuo want to k0 :o) also all 3 of your pokes know a dragon move, this isn't necisary as it is only super effective against 1 type of pokemon. Dragon is good on 1v1 because only 1 type is stong against it, but you should try to aim for the best coverage possible with 2v2 since you have 2 pokes to work with on the field at a time.

Oh, and since HG/SS are undoubtedly being played by many of the people who frequent this thread, I hope somebody can soon post here about whether the movesets are different in the basically-identical Frontier.
yeah, not many people are posting, i guess they are trying to become the first to 100 in the HG/SS battle tower or something ;)

psypokes has some info about HG/SS - in particular some lists of the BT trainers/pokes etc here. looks like its pretty much the same though (i havent read beyond the first line).

Lol

Hey Peterko and Jumpman, looks like you've got some fierce new competition! And even worse, the source of the competition is a site well known for not being a noob-haven, and also for being far more advanced than Smogon! You guessed it, Serebii.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=438623

Not to mention that the person isn't aware of Jumpman's surpassing Peterko's previous top record...
Soz late post :D, I thought Dragon Dance and Aqua Jet were illgeal? :) no competition for failed moveset :D

That was some terribly bad luck... made me realise that perhaps my team isn't prepared enough for a long tower streak. Then again, quick claw horn drill is something that only a few pokemon can handle reliably. I have been trying Shuckle as the 3rd member of my BT team specifically to deal with OHKO moves, and so far he is going ok running Sub/Rest/Acupressure/Rollout. The lack of speed is obviously a huge problem (and vulnerability to crits!), but I have been fairly impressed with his offensive capabilities after attack boosts (4th rollout OHKO'ed a Golem, for example).

That pikachu looks like a real beast!

I also just learned that rock doesn't resist rock.... that's the 2nd type effectiveness tidbit BT has taught me.

you will need a way to counter ice pokemon as garchomp is 4x weak and lati is weak to it as well, gyarados isn't strong to it either, also i would for-go surf on the lati for another attack seeing as garchomp doesn't like them and gyarados is strong to them, but still its not good to hit your own pokes with moves, also you cant pick the attack target for outrage it auto does it (it will always pick an enemy but it may not be the enemy yuo want to k0 :o) also all 3 of your pokes know a dragon move, this isn't necisary as it is only super effective against 1 type of pokemon. Dragon is good on 1v1 because only 1 type is stong against it, but you should try to aim for the best coverage possible with 2v2 since you have 2 pokes to work with on the field at a time.
Ok i lost anyway at battle 30 anyway and it wasnt for any of the reasons that firecape pointed out. I made one mistake which maybe was not the best option that caused me to lose. The battle went like this: I lead with a garchomp and gyarados against 2 random pokes who are both koed by earthquake so easy match huh, well heres the catch garchomp is frozen so i have to switch to latios and attack with gyarados well latios switches and gets crited to death and gyarados is then hit and has 40% hp left. I now realize that i am dead there is no way that gar is gonna thaw out and gyardos is gonna die next turn. garchomp is frozen solid (damn) gyarados uses waterfall opponent flinched and gyarados is still aliv(i might have a chance here). Now all that needs to happen is that i hit but sadly i missed (damn brightpowder) and frozen garchomp gets killed while failing to defrost. F****** hax

@dragonite: You know, it would help if you reread what you typed before hitting that post button. Typing in sentences with somewhat proper punctuation helps. Anyways, I'll just point out some things.

firecap01 said you have an ice weakness in your team, and you said your lost was not due to any reasons firecap pointed out, even though you mainly lost because Garchomp was frozen solid (from an ice move probably? There is the possibility of Tri-Attack I guess, but you did not even say how your Garchomp just randomly got frozen).

Seeing how your previous post was about Double Battle Arcade and you did not say anything about this otherwise on your last post, I can only assume that it is still Double Battle Arcade. Now that could possibly explain why Garchomp was frozen, but then bright powder would not make any sense. You only get one option chosen on the roulette. Either your opponent got bright powder or your Garchomp got frozen. Let's go with bright powder here (since Gyarados would not have missed, unless you were using ice fang, which means you're up against a flying or ground dragon, grass, or flying/ground - waterfall or outrage hits everything else harder - , but Outrage hits Dragons nearly just as hard and will most likely KO already, grass is highly unlikely because grass pokemon would have used a grass move on Garchomp which you switched to Latios, which would not be OHKOed even by a crit grass move, unless the grasser was an Abomasnow or a grass type with ice moves, which your Latios should have had no business switching into. Gliscor - flying/ground - should probably be 2HKO'd by waterfall so you had no reason to be using ice fang). So, let's just go with opponent having bright powder, so your garchomp must have been frozen by a pokemon.

I see that Gyarados used Waterfall to flinch the final opponent, so Garchomp must also be faster than that last opponent. This suggests that Garchomp must have got frozen by a fast opponent lead (assuming I am reading everything you wrote correctly). I think the only pokemon faster than Garchomp that will work is a Weavile at -1 Attack with imperfect IVs using Ice punch and rolling almost minimum damage. I.e. you got pretty lucky there to not be KO'd, but in that case, there is no reason to switch away a garchomp that is nearly dead. In fact Gyarados should probably just use Earthquake to KO garchomp to get Latios in safely.

Sorry for long word post lol (I like typing this morning). I am thinking I most likely did not assume a lot of things correctly in the above, and I can only say it is because the description given originally was not at all very clear.

EDIT: Actually after re-reading this line "latios switches and gets crited to death and gyarados is then hit and has 40% hp left", it seems to suggest to me that Latios switched in on a Blizzard. So, I guess that could be a lot of different pokemon using blizzard and that's where you made your mistake. It still does not explain how Garchomp was frozen AND opponent had bright powder in Double Arcade though, and it also does not explain how ice was not the problem since it clearly was if my assumptions were correct.

EDIT2: O yeah, the other explanation would be snow cloak pokemon in hail or sand veil pokemon in sand storm. Snow cloak probably means Glaceon (Froslass outspeeds Gyarados, and Mamoswine should probably be KO'd by waterfall)... either way it means ice clearly was a problem. If it is Sand Veil, I suppose that would explain the scenario, since two of the Gliscors don't run speed and thus would be outsped by Gyarados.

I played some pokemon Double Battle Tower in the past couple days during commutes to and from school.

The battles are so quick with this team. I'm probably just going to use this from now on until 49 (before testing real teams). I didn't really time it, but I'm pretty sure I got (or could have gone) through 1 - 49 in 70 mins or less (but it's Double, so I guess that doesn't count for the speed run anyway hehe). Anyway, not a new record, but I got up to 120 streak using this team:

Lead 1:
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid / Levitate
Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Destiny Bond / Thunderbolt (HP Ice)

Lead 2:
Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Adamant / Clear Body
Explosion / Earthquake / Iron Head / Thunderpunch

Another attacker:
Azelf @ Life Orb
Hasty (20ish Attack&SpA IVs 31 Speed, best I bothered to SR) / Levitate
Explosion / Grass Knot / Flamethrower / Psychic

Another attacker: (Filler)
Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Timid / Flash Fire
Explosion / Flamethrower / Protect / Earth Power

Strategy & Comments:
- Should be insanely obvious. In the first 42 battles, probably 60% of the battles end in 2 turns and a lot in 3 turns, and only 2 or so at most had over 3 turns. Grass Knot / Energy Ball / Thunderpunch / Thunderbolt / Earthquake / Flamethrower / Iron Head are obviously for Damp / Rock / Steel pokemon. Shadow Ball takes care of most ghosts sufficiently enough, and Iron Head OHKOs Froslass and sometimes OHKO Gengar and Mismagius.

- I had two Gengars (with similar IVs), one with HP Ice and another without. In the first 49 battles I actually led with Gengar (the HP Ice one) + Azelf instead of Metagross because Azelf is more flexible (with LO instead of scarf), so battles were even faster.

- HP Ice was only used earlier for better coverage, but Thunderbolt was better later on for a higher power neutral attack for Gengar (mainly steel types which wall the Gengar without TBolt). Energy ball > Tbolt because it gets the Super effective hit on Rock types (I need it especially when facing Tyranitar), and also Energy Ball lets Gengar handle Quagsire which Tbolt cannot.

- Psychic on Azelf instead of Shadow Ball for dealing with ghosts, because basically the only time I'd use Shadow Ball would be for ghosts (everything else would be explode, or grass knot on damp pokemon or flamethrower on steels potentially), but Flamethrower hits Froslass harder and OHKOs, Shadow Ball won't OHKO most mismagius or dusknoir (but Psychic still 2HKOs). So I'm basically looking at Drifblim (Shadow Ball doesn't OHKO this all the time either) and Gengar, which gets KO'd by Psychic. Psychic on the other hand lets Azelf secure OHKO on (damp) Poliwrath, as well as getting OHKO on most poison or fighting types (if Gengar can OHKO a pokemon and Azelf can OHKO the other, Azelf's not going to explode).

- Heatran was mostly filler. I don't think it ever showed its face in 1 - 49. It's basically there because it the only other exploder I have (other than Bronzong and Camerupt in my TR team), and it also fits well in its resistances (resists ghost/dark that Azelf and Gengar are weak to, and immune to Fire that Metagross is weak to). Shuca berry just because the other 3 pokemon got all the "best" items already. ... though, I am thinking Lum Berry is probably more useful because of how I lost haha.

Of all the teams I lost to, I embarrassingly lost to a poison team. Yeah, like... what duh lol, Gengar is 4x resistant and Heatran and Metagross are immune, and Azelf has STAB Psychic... The opponent did have a Skuntank though, so that caused some problems.

I don't remember how it started. I most likely exploded with Metagross, I think something (Muk??) might have used a Shadow Sneak and broken Gengar's sash, and then Weezing's QC activated and KO'd Gengar the turn after before I had the chance to do anything. It came down to a low health Weezing + Crobat vs my Heatran and Azelf. Crobat used Hypnosis on Heatran who slept. Azelf Psychic Crobat but Payapa lets it live. Weezing I think used Shadow Ball on Azelf which survives. Next turn I picked Flamethrower on Weezing for Heatran (my mistake...) and Psychic on Crobat for Azelf, but Weezing QC activates and uses Destiny Bond. Crobat Cross Poisons Azelf for the KO, Heatran wakes up, flamethrowers, and gets killed by Destiny Bond lol. Stupid me. Obviously I should have just exploded with Heatran protecting (Azelf's Explosion doesn't usually OHKO, but just in case of critical hit).

I might try this team again (as in for a longer record) or I might not, but I'll most likely be using it for 1-49 (or perhaps even a bit further) just because it's fast (on average at least one turn faster than the typical trick room / rain dance teams I've used anyway since it requires no set up).

O yeah, no HG/SS for me yet still. My school ends in a couple weeks, so tons of deadlines to make, I'll buy SS after that in mid April.

By the way, Bozo, awesome angry Pikachu! Hehe.

EDIT: O yeah, Peterko, not sure if you got it last time.
First Page said:
Top 10 Diamond & Pearl ORIGINAL Battle Tower Double Records (no tradebacks):
3. Chinese Dood (271) - Bronzong, Duskull, Camerupt, Machamp;
Should be for Platinum, not D/P.

EDIT again: WHOA, I JUST realized my exploding team has exactly the same members as Critical Hax's exploding team (slightly different moves) and really similar to Purple Nurple's.

ok this is weird. i'm mucking around in the wifi BT with the same team, and i trick some guy's lead blaziken - he gets my choice scarf, and i get his..... NOTHING!!! i didnt realise trick worked when either of you had nothing. i've actually always been really careful not to use stuff like salac berries i may obtain if i want to retrick at some point (or to never give back lum berries if i have thunderwaved them etc). i even tried retricking and yeah, you can use trick even if you dont have anything.

EDIT: lol i just lost to a trainer in set 2 - lead metagross got 3 attack raises and a crit before i could do just about anything. i did kill it, but died to second poke garchomp (he used fire fang, i was hoping it was scarfed but no such luck). salamence intimidated it and i sacrificed latias to get another intimidate (latias survived the opening since meta was FP after thunderwave). but two intimidates could not protect me from the crit! (it might have had a sash anyway).

Whoa, I'm kind of surprised that you did not already know that. Yeah, Trick works even if one of the pokemon involved is not holding any items. I've never tried when both pokemon aren't holding anything though lol.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
220 in the hall with a pokémon

lost #221 to ninetales because of confusion, my poké hurt itself 3 times in a row right from the start and then I couldn´t win anymore

I got relatively lucky this run, mainly against umby twice (at #180 and #200) and against togekiss, both of which are pains

of course lucky by not meeting the one that I can´t beat (because of moveset issues, had to decide between two pokes that are bitches)

I´ll comment on the other stuff later this week, lots of work to do

yeah congrats to 1159, none of us can beat rhydon if it gets going (it´s more dangerous than scor or kingler on paper), although the top2 teams would´ve had a better shot at winning there

@dragonite: You know, it would help if you reread what you typed before hitting that post button. Typing in sentences with somewhat proper punctuation helps. Anyways, I'll just point out some things.
Sorry Most times I do check what i posted and then re-check for spelling mistakes or grammar mistakes this time I was just really tired and wanted to go to bed

said you have an ice weakness in your team, and you said your lost was not due to any reasons firecap pointed out, even though you mainly lost because Garchomp was frozen solid (from an ice move probably? There is the possibility of Tri-Attack I guess, but you did not even say how your Garchomp just randomly got frozen).
My garchomp got frozen by the panel as it was hard because it was moving too fast and if garchomp took an ice move it would probably die anyway

how your previous post was about Double Battle Arcade and you did not say anything about this otherwise on your last post, I can only assume that it is still Double Battle Arcade. Now that could possibly explain why Garchomp was frozen
I accidently hit the freeze button and my garchomp got frozen, I thought i did say that in my post but obviously not.

EDIT: Actually after re-reading this line "latios switches and gets crited to death and gyarados is then hit and has 40% hp left", it seems to suggest to me that Latios switched in on a Blizzard. So, I guess that could be a lot of different pokemon using blizzard and that's where you made your mistake. It still does not explain how Garchomp was frozen AND opponent had bright powder in Double Arcade though, and it also does not explain how ice was not the problem since it clearly was if my assumptions were correct.
The opponent didn't have brightpowder It was something with snow cloak (mamoswine maybe) and the lead was abomasnow (funny how i died to a team of mostly ice types but they didn't use any ice moves I think

EDIT2: O yeah, the other explanation would be snow cloak pokemon in hail or sand veil pokemon in sand storm. Snow cloak probably means Glaceon (Froslass outspeeds Gyarados, and Mamoswine should probably be KO'd by waterfall)... either way it means ice clearly was a problem. If it is Sand Veil, I suppose that would explain the scenario, since two of the Gliscors don't run speed and thus would be outsped by Gyarados.
Yep it was snowcloak but thats what screwed me up not necesarily ice types killing me becuase of my huge weakness.

Ah ok. But yeah, you gotta do something about that ice weakness. If you're saying that you lost to an ice team that did not even use any (or primarily) ice moves, think about how much easier it would be for the opponent to win if they DID use more ice moves.

In Double (especially arcade/castle, where you are only using 3 pokemon), you should rarely be switching, and when you are, it had better be on immunities or strong resistances (e.g. if you had something like a lapras on the last slot with your garchomp facing two ice pokemon. It's fair enough to switch Lapras in taking two probable ice attacks to save Garchomp from certian death), but of course then you'd have to make sure Abomasnow doesn't land a grass move on Lapras the next turn. In your case it would have been much better to just let Garchomp faint obviously, so Latios can at least come in safely.

Ah ok. But yeah, you gotta do something about that ice weakness. If you're saying that you lost to an ice team that did not even use any (or primarily) ice moves, think about how much easier it would be for the opponent to win if they DID use more ice moves.
That is true and i did not think of that anyway I am going to a new team for doubles arcade or maybe doubles castle based around garchomp again and probably not gyarados again even though he was good for intimidate support.
Im not sure who would be the second lead but I definently need an ice resist, Could anyone suggest a good poke that would work well with garchomp.

Has anyone thought of this for singles BT:
EDIT: better idea, start with meta
EDIT2: switched Azelf and Metagross(if only you could have two metagross on a team)
EDIT3: i think focus sash is better on azelf
EDIT4: made azelf more diverse and figured out ev's. added more description.

Azelf@sash
Naive
216 spe/40 atk/252 spa
-explosion
-fake out
-shadow ball/fire blast
-grass knot

just kill the first one by any means necessary, then see if you're Smeargle's faster or not. If it is, switch. if not, stay in and die. If you exploded, switch to it anyways. i'm starting to think that this should be replaced. but, i have no idea what to replace it with, so for now, this is what you're stuck with. fake out the first turn to remove sashes. shadow ball is for ghosts, fire blast is for steels, grass knot is for rock.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
Maximum Speed
-Spore
-Perish Song
-Detect
-Protect/priority move(in case the bitchy opponent has a sash somewhere)

you switch on the third turn to a bomb. you may be wondering why even put spore on this. well, lets say azelf just killed a rhyperior with grass knot. the opponent sends in a slow pokemon, lets say slowbro. you switch to smeargle, take the surf, and live with 1 hp. If you don't have spore, then slowbro will kill you why you perish song, but supposing you do have spore, you put it to sleep, start singing, and you saved azelf too. it is quite possible to function without spore, but azelf could be useful later on, much more useful than smeargle could be, that's for sure.

Metagross@ choice scarf
max spe/atk - jolly/adamant
-explosion
-eq
-ice punch/rock slide
-meteor mash

make sure whatever they're using on smeargle won't kill you when you switch. if you're afraid it will, just let smeargle die. odds are, metagross will be able to kill whatever comes in next. go for the kill and you should win it with a smeargle that has 1 hp left.

There are obviously some flaws but that's where you come in. :)

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

final rentals:
ambipom: metronome, thunder wave / last resort / fake out / protect
gengar: lum berry, shadow ball / tbolt / sludge bomb / destiny bond
salamence: cheri berry, dragon claw / aerial ace / aqua tail / scary face

three days. three days, 10 hours of sleep, 3 mugs of coffee, 2 wasted english lessons and a wasted french lesson.
I feel oddly proud.

Smeargle@Focus Sash
Maximum Speed
-Spore
-Perish Song
-Detect
-Protect/priority move(in case the bitchy opponent has a sash somewhere)

you switch on the third turn to a bomb. you may be wondering why even put spore on this. well, lets say azelf just killed a rhyperior with grass knot. the opponent sends in a slow pokemon, lets say slowbro. you switch to smeargle, take the surf, and live with 1 hp. If you don't have spore, then slowbro will kill you why you perish song, but supposing you do have spore, you put it to sleep, start singing, and you saved azelf too. it is quite possible to function without spore, but azelf could be useful later on, much more useful than smeargle could be, that's for sure.
So presumably you think Perish Song is a certain kill. Well, the AI will actually switch out for it, saving itself. Also, alternating protect and detect will have the same result as repeated use of protect. How will you deal with Quick Claw users and Pokemon with Insomnia as an ability? If you use up your Smeargle then you'd better hope that you can deal with the last two Pokemon with your two or even one Pokemon.
In addition, this team has zero defence against OHKOs.
Your Azelf will have problems with either Steels or bulky Ghosts depending on the moveset. And Heatran resists all the move on both those movesets, also killing Metagross.
And remember, Perish Song and Explosion will be useless if you are down to your last Pokemon.
Oh, and you have two of the same item, this is not allowed in the tower.

EDIT: Nice record ZystraL, that must have taken ages. How do you manage to play Pokemon in lessons without getting spotted?!

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: Nice record ZystraL, that must have taken ages. How do you manage to play Pokemon in lessons without getting spotted?!
My grades are so good they don't care ;P
Of course, randomly screaming "YEAHHHHH" in the middle of a class doesn't earn you brownie points.

For the record (pun inteded), I'm still continuing, so don't expect 84 to be my final number

So presumably you think Perish Song is a certain kill. Well, the AI will actually switch out for it, saving itself. Are you serious? I'll test it. Also, alternating protect and detect will have the same result as repeated use of protect. But this way you have a 100% protection rate. How will you deal with Quick Claw users and Pokemon with Insomnia as an ability? Focus Sash plus Perish Song. I just have to get in Smeargle without taking a hit. If you use up your Smeargle then you'd better hope that you can deal with the last two Pokemon with your two or even one Pokemon. The point is that Azelf blows the first one, Smeargle Perishes the second, and Metagross blows up the last one.
In addition, this team has zero defence against OHKOs. Focus Sash/I'm faster and will blow up.
Your Azelf will have problems with either Steels or bulky Ghosts depending on the moveset. And Heatran resists all the move on both those movesets, also killing Metagross. Point taken. I was hoping an Attack+Explosion would kill Heatran.
And remember, Perish Song and Explosion will be useless if you are down to your last Pokemon. OK.
Oh, and you have two of the same item, this is not allowed in the tower. LO it is then.
Answers in bold

It seems that it was worth the try, but in the end, will fail at some point. Still has some potential if Perish Song works.

So presumably you think Perish Song is a certain kill. Well, the AI will actually switch out for it, saving itself.
504 | Jynx | Calm | Lax Incense | Dream Eater | Lovely Kiss | Perish Song | Mean Look | SpA/SpD
I faced this one a couple of times and yes, it does switch out when Perish Song count is down to 1.
EDIT: Even after Trick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)