Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

I'm trying to make a battle tower team to get past my 100 streak right now.
I'm trying to decide between skorupis, the 2 I have are...

1. Female-Careful
IV's-HP/30 Atk/22 Def/31 SpA/25 SpD/29 Spd/22

2. Male-Careful
IV's-HP/30 Atk/29 Def/31 SpA/31 SpD/22 Spd/24

Basically, is the +7 in Atk and +2 in Spd worth the -7 in SpD?

Also, I'm thinking about pairing it with a Umbreon lead with Yawn, Flash, Wish, Toxic. Is that viable or would using a trick/switcheroo lead be best?
I wouldn't settle for either Skorupi. Raise defences and speed just for kicks :P

What is up with only 4 people playing wifi battle tower in Pt/HgSs?

:)
It's probably because it's actually challenging. I tried it out a few months ago and it was a bit harder than I remember it being in Pearl. There's no Pokemon database to refer to and there's fewer exploitable strategies that work consistently well. Focus Sashers in every battle is pretty frustrating too unless you run a Fake Out lead. I recall there were some issues with people uploading hacked Pokemon to the Wifi Tower back in the days of D/P so there's still that stigma attached to it too, I bet.

I'll probably make a Wifi run once I finish with the doubles Tower and get a good streak in the singles Castle. I'm more surprised that none of the D/P Wifi Tower leaders have done a serious streak in the Pt/HG/SS Wifi Tower.

I was surprised to discover that most blatant hacks were nullified when uploaded. I can tell when in rank 6 you face a person with all shiny Pokemon that include things like starters with HM moves and Crobat with Fly, etc. It was a cinch to defeat them, so I suspect whatever hacks that allowed them to get that far didn't remain when their information was uploaded.

I was surprised to discover that most blatant hacks were nullified when uploaded. I can tell when in rank 6 you face a person with all shiny Pokemon that include things like starters with HM moves and Crobat with Fly, etc. It was a cinch to defeat them, so I suspect whatever hacks that allowed them to get that far didn't remain when their information was uploaded.
that's an interesting theory actually. i used to do d/p wifi BT and was always amazed at things like charizard with fly / flamethrower / other random stuff really high up, and wondering how on earth they got there!!

I got a Registeel the other day and I can't believe how easy the BT has become. It's virtually unstoppable once you get +6 Def/SpDef but few things still annoy me like CHs, Heatran (5HKO), other steel types.
I could easily break 300 with this guy :]

after a short break obsesing with football manager, i think its time to try my luck at the tower again :)

(aint got ds to hand so no evs but mainly basic from smogon or here)

i been thinking and wana try out a team i enjoy using and looks good on paper so this is what i'm starting to use

trick/lead
metagross
trick
iron head
earthquake/explosion
scary face

just a twist on a trickster who i've enjoyed the most and got furthest with, general idea is to trick/scary face switch to a stat upper then come back in when needed.

1st stat upper

latios
calm mind
surf
thunderbolt
dragon pulse

standard set up CM great poke in truth with good coverage if set up never lets you down.

then i was messing around with a houndoom here (mainly because didnt have time to get heatran) and houndoom suppirsed me and this team go far

(for anyone interested houndoom was - nasty plot, dark pulse,flamethrower,sub)

but now i've got a niave heatran so going to throw him in but question is due to not being able to have scarf and no decent stat boosting moves what should i do.. my ideas

double team/ iron defence
sub
flamethrower
earthpower

siding more towards double team but after your views.

as you can see both my pokes can come in on super effective attacks aimed at meta and set up safe from harm and sweep, if it worked with houndoom sure heatran will dominate!!

basicly it just after your thoughts

Curious: for my 70th battle in the HGSS Doubles Battle Tower, I faced a Beauty with a Gorebyss, Charmeleon, Sneasel, and Relicanth. I remember reading that with really high streaks sometimes the trainers "reset", so to speak, and aren't as difficult, but seeing that at battle 70 threw me off a bit. Explanation anyone?

Sceptic, one of the Beauty sets that appears after battle 49 in the singles tower has weaker/unevolved Pokemon. It doesn't appear often, but it's a bit of a relief to have an easier battle. Gorebyss and Relicanth are classified as "weaker" Pokemon, as they only have 2 sets and don't appear after battle 49 except for that one Beauty. I sometimes question the designers' decisions, as Gorebyss, Relicanth, and other "two setters" like Hitmonlee seem way more viable than stuff like Vespiquen and Shiftry, but that's the way they made it.

New team I'm thinking about trying out for the battle tower

Scizor-Adamant-Technician
Choice Band
EV-248 HP 252 Atk 4Spd
Bullet Punch
Super Power
U-Turn/X-Scissor
Aerial Ace

Dusknoir-Impish
Choice Scarf
EV's-252 HP 252 Def 4Spd/SpDef
Trick
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp
Toxic/Confuse Ray

Drapion-Careful-Battle Armor
Black Sludge
EV 252HP/Def/SpD 252 HP/Def/SpD 4/Spd
Acupressure
Sub
Rest/EQ
Crunch

Idea is, Scizor leads and spams boosted bullet punches thanks to technician and choice band. If the other lead is something Scizor doesn't like, I switch to Dusknoir. Dusknoir then tricks a scarf onto the pokemon, hopefully locking them into a SE move against him but something resisted by both Scizor and Drapion and then switch to either one of them, most likely drapion for it's ability to set up and sweep. Drapion is there to sweep after Dusknoir tricks the pokemon, basically as long as they aren't locked into a ground move drapion can pretty safely acupressure up. The rest of Dusknoir's moveset is for when I get in bad situations and he is my last pokemon and he needs to do damage, aka stall.

The thinks with / are what I can't decide between and am looking for advice on. U-turn or X-Scissor on Scizor? Toxic or confuse ray on Dusknoir? What EV spread to use for Drapion to make him most bulky, some combination of 252 EV's in either HP, Def, SpD, or anything else you think would be good? Rest or EQ on Drapion? And any other suggestions are welcome!

I'm currently at 112 in the doubles arcade and still going strong with a team of zapdos garchomp and infernape. I'll post proof and a full team when the streak ends.

that's an interesting theory actually. i used to do d/p wifi BT and was always amazed at things like charizard with fly / flamethrower / other random stuff really high up, and wondering how on earth they got there!!
Probably some kind of "KO anything in one hit" AR code. I bet the only things that are actually checked for hacking are the Pokemon data (stats, moves, etc), not their in-battle performance.

Or if they are legit, then maybe they just switch in random Pokemon after getting a high streak. I do this to obtain Battle Tower ribbons on my starter.

Gone with the heatran with sub double team, flamethrower and earth power but the coverage just isn't doing it for me so what move next to a fire attack gives me good coverage? The hiden power type is fighting if your interested

For the second time now, I've lost a streak of 27 in the Battle Factory when the last Pokemon came down to my opponent's Porygon-Z (with a Download boost) who had just used Tri-Attack against my Infernape 3. And once again, when I chose Focus Blast in an attempt to kill the thing, I got the pleasure of discovering that it was Porygon-Z 2 (the one with Choice Scarf), and watching it kill Infernape in one hit. Yes, that exact situation has now happened TWICE.

Getting my last gold print is going to take a while.

Also, Hutch 3, I feel like you'll be switching out Scizor a lot, and Dusknoir isn't as bulky as you'd think. Because so many types resist Steel, you'll be stuck switching Scizor out against almost everything that resists its Bullet Punch (which means Water, Electric, Fire, and Steel, and you probably don't want to keep it in against really bulky Pokemon like Hippowdon, either. Dusknoir can be hit very hard on this switch, and also risks status (and it won't like freeze, sleep, or paralysis). Because it's so slow, it won't be outspeeding much even with the Choice Scarf, meaning it's at a high risk of being 2HKO'd (Modest Zapdos 2HKOs with Thunderbolt, for instance...Zapdos seems like a Pokemon your team really doesn't like). Crits are a huge problem for Dusknoir, and you run the risk of giving your opponent a free chance to Double Team, Swords Dance, etc. If Dusknoir faints before you can use Trick, you're stuck relying on Scizor (who has awful type coverage) and Drapion to win you the match, which can be a pretty tough sell in the Battle Tower due to their mediocre speed and type coverage.

In summary, Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch can do awesome things in standard, but it doesn't fare so well against the sheer number of threats in the Tower (particularly every random Water type...most people don't expect their Scizor's BP to be walled by Whiscash, for instance). It can work well on teams, but when it's in the lead spot, you'll find yourself doing a lot more switching than you'd like.

Also, Hutch 3, I feel like you'll be switching out Scizor a lot, and Dusknoir isn't as bulky as you'd think. Because so many types resist Steel, you'll be stuck switching Scizor out against almost everything that resists its Bullet Punch (which means Water, Electric, Fire, and Steel, and you probably don't want to keep it in against really bulky Pokemon like Hippowdon, either. Dusknoir can be hit very hard on this switch, and also risks status (and it won't like freeze, sleep, or paralysis). Because it's so slow, it won't be outspeeding much even with the Choice Scarf, meaning it's at a high risk of being 2HKO'd (Modest Zapdos 2HKOs with Thunderbolt, for instance...Zapdos seems like a Pokemon your team really doesn't like). Crits are a huge problem for Dusknoir, and you run the risk of giving your opponent a free chance to Double Team, Swords Dance, etc. If Dusknoir faints before you can use Trick, you're stuck relying on Scizor (who has awful type coverage) and Drapion to win you the match, which can be a pretty tough sell in the Battle Tower due to their mediocre speed and type coverage.

In summary, Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch can do awesome things in standard, but it doesn't fare so well against the sheer number of threats in the Tower (particularly every random Water type...most people don't expect their Scizor's BP to be walled by Whiscash, for instance). It can work well on teams, but when it's in the lead spot, you'll find yourself doing a lot more switching than you'd like.
Fair enough, that make sense, so basically scrap scizor as a lead. What's the best bulky trick/switcheroo pokemon I could use that's not a legendary? I just have a strict personal policy about not using legendaries at all!

Metagross is good lead its who I use, always gets trick and scary face off unless you lock them in earthquake so have a stat boosting flyer etc to take advantage

Factory progress, finally gotten pass the 40 mark. Lost on the 42nd to Starmie who froze my last 2 pokes, could have won that if it weren't for the FRZ.
I can smell the color print getting closer.

Hi guys, I registered just to share my Battle Frontier records on my SoulSilver game :)

I've just cleared 100 in Tower and 49 in Castle, so I guess those don't matter, and I haven't even reached the gold print in the Factory which is hard as hell.
But in the other 2, it looks like I get on the list.

Battle Arcade: 54

i used this team of Gengar, Garchomp and Lucario. The first 4 streaks were obviously easy, especially since the game board moved at such a low speed and there were great tiles to land on like the +3 levels or paralyzing all foes.
Streak 5 and on became way harder, I tried to stop the board when it had 2 good tiles next to each other, just for being safe (I failed 3 times just because I accidentally rolled a fog, which is a haxfest). I had luck of having the skip match tile 3 times.

Thankfully, Dahlia didn't use any hax, I could even Earthquake her Blaziken after confusion, so no complaints here.

Then I tried to continue, seeing how far I can get, and well... That's how far I got. The board got incredibly fast after streak 7, so I rolled a burn on myself and lost. Unfortunately, I don't remember what opponent it was (it was weeks ago), but something bulky killed my Gengar, then Garchomp came for a revenge kill, but then got killed in the next turn because he failed to OHKO the enemy because of the burn, and then Lucario couldn't do too much.

The team was:
(stats are on level 50)

Gengar
Timid

Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Psychic

HP: 120
Attack: 66
Defense: 65
Sp. Atk.: 181
Sp.Def.: 86
Speed: 177

Lucario
Modest

Aura Sphere
Vacuum Wave
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse

HP: 141
Attack: 106
Defense: 91
Sp. Atk.: 180
Sp. Def.: 84
Speed: 141

Garchomp
Jolly

Swords Dance
Earthquake
Outrage
Fire Fang

HP: 183
Attack: 182
Defense: 115
Sp. Atk.: 90
Sp. Def.: 100
Speed: 169

Battle Hall: 193

Here I used the same Garchomp as in the Arcade, with a Focus Sash. First types to take out were obviously ice and dark to avoid Weavile which is pretty much an instant death. Piloswine was also a pain, it killed me 3 times before with Brightpowder hax, so the next type was ground, and then, water, because a lot of water Pokémon use ice moves.

After that came the types that generally can have faster and more dangeros Pokémon: psychic, ghost, flying, but nothing really seemed that dangerous. Sometimes I got an ice move from Pokémon like Dusknoir, but since either I was faster and 2HKO's them or I just OHKO'd them, no problems. I wasn't frozen at once, thankfully.

Then I believe I battledthe kinda safe types: grass, dragon, normal, fighting, steel, rock, and finally the very easy ones: poison, fire, electric and bug.

The 170th enemy was a Jolteon (thank God!) that only used a Quick Atack before getting killed by my Earthquake. But after all those Brightpowder haxes on my previous tries, I was like, I sederved an easy enemy for the end :)

After it, once again, I was curious how far I could get, and did the types in sort of a reverse order. Ironically I lost agains a bug Pokémon that I thought was easy, but in the fighting type: A Heracross I failed to OHKO with an Outrage and raised its speed with a Salac Berry, than Megahorn, Megahorn, and Garchomp fainted.
So here’s my proof, a photo of the records, and how I lost in the Hall. I hope it’s enough.

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/19Szabolcs91/?action=view&current=1.png
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss138/19Szabolcs91/?action=view&current=2.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLSvTJbTIQc

@szabu nice first post man &congrats on the streaks. Btw, if you re-do Garchomp use swagger for weavile

( un-related tangent begins) I recently (finally) beat HG/SS in-game, and during so i half tested the in-game AI out of curiousity. My guess is that against randoms, the AI randomly selects a move, whilst against "harder" opponents, the AI seems to choose "the weakest move that has a chance to KO the pokemon. Battles in the frontier also seem to follow this. In fact, the kind of.rediculous bad luck i had vs opponents like pkmn trainer red reminded me of the frontier. We complain about frontier hax more, because the battles matter more to us. If you have a 100+ win streak hax is probably more likely to occur than not ( we rarely post about having good luck......) . Dont be too harsh on the frontier.
To contradict myself, the factory gold seems fucking impossible to get. mid 30s again ugh . Forgive punctuation + typos, its hard to type on a phone

Quest AI is a little different from Frontier AI. Red and Blue will actually switch-in a counter on occasion.
I wont say ive looked into it fully but i can think of at least 9 incidences where the frontier AI has switched. If youve ever tried shedninja you will see that if no attacks can register, the AI will switch. However it is a valid point that in-game switching is more frequent. Hopefully i'll look into this more.

I swear the Battle Factory hates me. I just lost a streak of 46.

I had a really effective team of Garchomp 1 (EQ, Dragon Claw, Double Team, Sandstorm), Mismagius 4 (Shadow Ball, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Destiny Bond w/ Focus Sash), and Lucario 3 (Close Combat, Blaze Kick, EQ, Shadow Claw).

My opponent sends out Quagsire. I figure that, since only one of the four Quagsires has an Ice move, I'm best off taking a gamble and attacking. If it lives, I get to send in Mismagius and start wrecking stuff. I use Earthquake.

It counters, meaning it's Quagsire 1. Garchomp is dead, Quagsire's at under half of its health.

I send in Mismagius; I figure Lucario won't do enough damage without Close Combat, and I don't want a weakened (Adamant) Lucario when my last Pokemon has 60/60/105 defenses, even if it has a Sash. Mismagius uses Shadow Ball, and I figure it'll kill.

Quagsire lives by approximately 1 HP and retaliates with Aqua Tail. Mismagius has about 50 HP left.

I kill with Shadow Ball on the next turn. I hope for something Mismagius can do something against, or at least Destiny Bond to death.

Jolteon comes out. Balls.

I switch to Lucario; if I let Mismagius die, let Lucario take a hit, and then kill it, I really don't count on a weakened Lucario's ability to take out one Pokemon. Jolteon uses Shadow Ball, as I'd hoped. Lucario doesn't take much damage.

At this point, I'm hoping it's Jolteon 4; Lucario had some shot at living through Thunderbolt, and would easily KO with Earthquake. Jolteon uses Thunder.

Obviously, it connects, and Lucario dies. Jolteon makes swift work of Mismagius with Shadow Ball.

I'm getting really sick of the Factory. I really want to get my gold print, but even though I seem to be getting better at it, I keep getting stopped at really frustrating points like this (I have a streak of 48 on Platinum). In a way, I like the Factory; I like how the Pokemon you have to choose from keep getting better, and the game gets more strategic. It's just frustrating to keep losing in really annoying places for dumb reasons (for instance; the Pokemon I had to choose from were substantially worse for the seventh streak than the previous 3, meaning I didn't have any bulky legends I could use to switch out Garchomp, take a hit, and retaliate). I may take a brief hiatus from the Factory; I've been playing it for days now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)