B&W Research Thread

Ah okay. I was wrong about Conversion2 always saying the same message. I was reading only the last word of the message, disregarding the 2nd to the last word which is not always the same.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Porgyon2 became Rock type!

and then the description says: "Can change into a type that resists the last attack used by the opponent."

..as far as i can tell thats the same as it was before..

Edit: beaten to the punch
Conversion2 isn't exactly the same. Before, Porygon2 had no choice but to transform into a type that resisted the last attack that hit it. Now, it can choose to resist the attack of anybody on the field, even a Pokemon that didn't attack it.

Conversion2 isn't exactly the same. Before, Porygon2 had no choice but to transform into a type that resisted the last attack that hit it. Now, it can choose to resist the attack of anybody on the field, even a Pokemon that didn't attack it.
ah, my mistake, that much isnt clear from the ingame text at least

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I thought Daruma mode was a normal in game ability?
It's not. All the Darumakka you randomly encounter in the wild have Hustle and evolve to have Encourage. The dormant Hihidaruma sitting around the entrance to the castle ruins have Daruma Mode, which is what Serebii lists as their Dream World ability.

I can confirm that 'Shell Break' lowers Defense and Special Defense, and increases Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. I confirmed this using an Abagoora in Pokemon Black. I can't confirm if they sharply raise. My Japanese is non-existent, and I was just using the Japanese to English terms on Smogon to translate what rose and fell.

In order..

"Defense fell!
Special Defense fell!

Special rose!
Attack rose!
Speed rose!"

You could check that by the damage dealt- if it does a little more, the boost is +1. If the damage is doubled, +2.

I'd test it but my Abagoora doesn't have Shell Break. ):

Yeah, I could test it by speed as well. I may in a bit, but I'm hoping someone will just give me the translation to look for. :naughty:

Abagoora learns it in his pre-evolved form at level 38, or level 40 when evolved. You can always use the Move Relearner if you deleted it.

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Regarding whether or not Flare Blitz has a chance to burn, the description says as follows:

炎をまとって突進する。自分もかなりダメージを受ける。やけど状態にすることがある。
"The user rushes towards the enemy engulfed in flames. It will hurt itself afterwards. It will burn the enemy sometimes."

This was posted in the Free Fall thread:

http://stuff.veekun.com/bw-moves.html

Go to column "Flags"
Check the 5th number from the left.
If it's a "1", the flag is active, and I suspect this flag means "Can hit while grabbed by Freefall"

If this can be tested, it would be brilliant.

Please note that Thunder *doesn't* have this flag, so it's not generic "hits aerial opponent"
It's the same flag that TheMaskedNitpicker was talking about a while ago. Someone should test to see if moves like Water Pulse and Peck (and Fly oddly enough) can be used while you're being grabbed by a Pokemon using Free Fall.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Maverick Hunter asked me to report this on his behalf:

Female Daruma Mode + Male Daruma Mode = Inner Focus Darumakka (DW ability)
Female Daruma Mode + male non-DW = Hustle (non-DW ability)
Male Daruma Mode + Female non-DW = Non-DW ability
Male Daruma Mode + Ditto = Non-DW ability

As of now, breeding for DW seems to be useful only to get good IVs/Nature.

By the way, we still need to test two pokémon of different species having Dream World abilities.

Every post i have seen in regard to testing aiming mark/bull's eye seems to imply it does not allow normal to hit ghost (and so on), but have people tested attacking in succession? On serebii (i'm aware of possible translation error) it says "If a move failed because of the opposing Pokemon's type, this bull's eye will make the move hit". That reads to me as, if you attack with rapid spin and the target is immune, it allows your next use of rapid spin to hit.

Every post i have seen in regard to testing aiming mark/bull's eye seems to imply it does not allow normal to hit ghost (and so on), but have people tested attacking in succession? On serebii (i'm aware of possible translation error) it says "If a move failed because of the opposing Pokemon's type, this bull's eye will make the move hit". That reads to me as, if you attack with rapid spin and the target is immune, it allows your next use of rapid spin to hit.
I have Tested this item and what it does is that the holder will no longer have immunities. (I havent tested abilities)
I used Dig with Warubiaru(Ground/Dark) on marks/bull holding Kenhourou(Normal/Flying) and it hit Kenhourou.
I can provide footage if needed.
So yeah the description of the item is almost correct execpt that is the holder that looses his immunities not the target.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus

By the way, we
still need to test two pokémon of different species having Dream World abilities.
Ok, I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but do we have confirmation than Inner Focus Darumakka evolves into a Daruma Mode Hihidaruma? I'm aware that it seems stupid, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

On another topic, some random in GameFAQs is claiming that Explosion no longer halves Defence. It might be nothing, but who knows.

I'm quite sure this is not the case.

Test battle vs. wild Minezumi:
Meguroko used Mud Slap
Minezumi used Tackle
Meguroko used Torment
Minezumi used Tackle
Meguroko used Mud Slap
Minezumi used Leer.

It was able to reuse Tackle on the turn I used Torment.
If Torment is used by a Slower Pokemon in Turn 1, the Faster Pokemon cannot select the move it used in Turn 1, for Turn 2. In Gen 4, I'm pretty sure the Faster Pokemon could still select the move it used in Turn 1.

I have tested this against Reparudasu, who happens to know Torment, and is slower than my Pokemon.

I think my first explanation is clear enough, but to further demonstrate how it works:

Turn 1
Scizor used False Swipe
Reparudasu used Torment

Turn 2
My Scizor could not use False Swipe (unselectable). In Gen 4, it would still let me use False Swipe in this Turn.

But we know (or atleast think we know) that Miscievous Heart doesn't give priority to Trick Room. If Miscievous Heart doesn't effect Confuse Ray, Sleep Powder, or Perish Song (which all fall into the same effect category as Trick Room), then I'm probably right.
If you don't mind a slightly belated question... If it works like this, would Substitute be under any of the categories affected by Mischievous Heart?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If Torment is used by a Slower Pokemon in Turn 1, the Faster Pokemon cannot select the move it used in Turn 1, for Turn 2. In Gen 4, I'm pretty sure the Faster Pokemon could still select the move it used in Turn 1.

I have tested this against Reparudasu, who happens to know Torment, and is slower than my Pokemon.

I think my first explanation is clear enough, but to further demonstrate how it works:

Turn 1
Scizor used False Swipe
Reparudasu used Torment

Turn 2
My Scizor could not use False Swipe (unselectable). In Gen 4, it would still let me use False Swipe in this Turn.
Not true. In Gen 4, it worked exactly the way you just described.

Explosion changes?

Hi all,

Friend and I were having a battle earlier via Wi-Fi to test out a few of the new "threats" available to us with the generation. I basically led with Hippowdon, and he led with Metagross. He decided to use Explosion as the first move (since apparently his team had trouble with Hippowdon) only to find that the move did between 50-60% damage.

The reason this is important is because, by DP calculations, the move should have done close to 100% (because I don't have a defensive nature on my Hippowdon...sadly). This suggests that Explosion no longer halves enemy defense upon use.

I'm basically posting this to see if other people can try and replicate this effect. My friend later battled another, and claims to have the same effect. If other people can try using Explosion in 5th generation and compare the results to DP damage calculation, that would be great. It is obviously important that we determine just how significant the changes were to such a game-changing move.

Pretty simple question: Are Rotom's alternate formes usable over WiFi now? (Should probably check random WiFi as well as FC battles.)

Multiscale halfs damage in half when at 100% health, it seems cool!
And I have a question, is the multiscale activated when Dragonite is hit by steah rock, toxic, burn, leech seed....when at 100% health?

Hi all,

Friend and I were having a battle earlier via Wi-Fi to test out a few of the new "threats" available to us with the generation. I basically led with Hippowdon, and he led with Metagross. He decided to use Explosion as the first move (since apparently his team had trouble with Hippowdon) only to find that the move did between 50-60% damage.

The reason this is important is because, by DP calculations, the move should have done close to 100% (because I don't have a defensive nature on my Hippowdon...sadly). This suggests that Explosion no longer halves enemy defense upon use.

I'm basically posting this to see if other people can try and replicate this effect. My friend later battled another, and claims to have the same effect. If other people can try using Explosion in 5th generation and compare the results to DP damage calculation, that would be great. It is obviously important that we determine just how significant the changes were to such a game-changing move.
Can you test Explosion again against a different target to confirm a loss of power? For all we know, Sandstorm could be buffing Defense in Ground types or something.

By the way, we still need to test two pokémon of different species having Dream World abilities.
If I recall aren't those Eevee evolutions with dream world abilities gonna be released on the 31st of this month? They're the same egg group as Hihidaruma so there's something to look forward to.

Though chances are someone will probably hack a solution or get something else by then...

Rotation Battles: No. You will only Intimidate the opponent's single Active Pokemon. Rotation is merely 1 v 1 with "instant" switching by rotation.
I'm going to add to this that Intimidate does NOT re-activate when quickswitching.

Also, this applies to all effects; Sandstorm and Hail don't affect other Pokemon, nor does Earthquake. You can see the other two Pokemon, but for all intents and purposes they are not in play.

I could use some clarification here. Does Telepathy protect all Pokemon on the same side of the field, or just the Telepathy Pokemon? Does it protect against opponents' attacks, or just an ally's collateral damage?
The pokémon with Telepathy isn't it by the damaging attacks of its allies.

About Flare Blitz, I'll get it tested again... But the ingame data does show it inflicts a burn.

Flare Blitz fire 4 1 120 100 15 0 0 4 10 1 0 0 0 0 User takes 1/3 the damage inflicted in recoil. Has a $effect_chance% chance to burn the target. -33 0 0 000000 000000 000000 83 83 0000010001001001 0
3rd column: 4 = damaging status changing move
4th Column: Physical attack

Then 4 is the burn status, 10 is the rate, 1 is telling it's a status that doesn't have a number of turns, -33 is the recoil

(http://typewith.me/pokemon-black-and-white says so too)

About Mischievous Heart, maybe it gives priority to non-damaging moves with targets? (Not field effects)

Also, http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3008593&postcount=127 contradicts:
Mischievous Heart: Moves that do not deal direct damage (i.e. not classified as physical or special), including Leech Seed, get speed priority over other +0 priority moves, but is not given +1 speed priority.
A good idea would be to test mischievous heart with weathers (rain dance etc.) and moves like softboiled/recover/refresh/aromatherapy/substitute to see if the condition of activation depends on the targets or not.

Just went and tested it with Rest, moves do not need a target to gain priority under Mischievous Heart.

I used a Level 14 Monmen that I caught in the wild against a Level 18 Monmen from a trainer in Huin, and it hit me with Cotton Spore twice early in the match.

I tested both Mega Drain and Rest several times, every time I used Mega Drain I went last and every time I used Rest I went first without fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)