B&W Research Thread

According to Serebii, there is an item called "Pressure band" which "increases damage of attacks which apply pressure to the opponent."

What does this mean? Has anyone tested this item yet?

Sorry if I'm a Slowpoke, but this isn't in the OP: Lightningrod now grants immunity to Electric and raises SpAtk when the user is hit by an Electric move, including T-wave. Oddly, the OP does mention Ground-types don't get the boost. This, of course, means Seaking is now a BoltBeam resister.
I busted that a while ago and it is in the OP.(I changed my name from KYKE)
Use Ctrl+f and type in what you are looking for.

According to Serebii, there is an item called "Pressure band" which "increases damage of attacks which apply pressure to the opponent."

What does this mean? Has anyone tested this item yet?
I'm pretty sure I heard that was for attacks like Fire Spin, Wrap, Sand Tomb, etc...

We know now that Focus Sash is broken by multi-hit moves and can KO the opponent, but I have a question arising from that. If I use Icicle Spear, for instance, against a Garchomp with Yache Berry, does the Berry still reduce damage from all hits or just the first?

Just the first hit. Was playing online and had Cloyster Icicle Spear a Garchomp. Yache Berry reduced the first hit damage, but the other hits were fully powered.

I might be misreading the text, but I think I just got my Skuntank's Flamethrower to flinch a Gantoru.

EDIT: Added screenshot.
Yes, that is a flinch. I am sorry about my translation mishap, and I guess we all just got amazingly unlucky, using all our PP up and not getting a flinch. =/ If Flamethrower and Take Down and Scratch flinch, perhaps the main factor is that the attack does damage?

Phil and I did some testing and here are our reports:

Unaware does not negate Sand Throw's Speed boosts. That is, my slower Moguryuu used Sandstorm turn 1 against a faster Unaware Bibarel, then the next turn outsped it.

In a rotation battle, you cannot Baton Pass to a Pokémon on the rotational grid, only Pokémon in their PokéBalls. Similarly, you can't U-turn to a Pokémon on the rotational grid, only Pokémon in their PokéBalls. If you try to U-turn and there are only Pokémon in the rotational grid left, it will do damage but not switch.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If Flamethrower and Take Down and Scratch flinch, perhaps the main factor is that the attack does damage?
Now that we've figured that out, can we test to see if each hit of a multi-hit attack like Fury Swipes has its own chance to flinch? That's how it worked with King's Rock/Razor Fang in 4th gen, but I wonder if Stench works the same way.

Just to confirm - in a Rotation battle, the act of 'rotation' does take place before any move. I tested with Helping Hand, Feint, and Aqua Jet/Mach Punch; in all cases, the rotation occured first, followed by the move. Also, I believe that you don't take entry hazard damage when you rotate in a pokemon; however, if one of your three pokemon is knocked out, you send in another to replace it (well, you do in-game, at least) and in that case, you can take damage from entry hazards.
So, in effect, you can see a rotation battle as a triple battle in this regard; all of the pokemon who are 'rotating' are on the field, and don't take entry hazard damage from rotating; however, U-turning and so on is no different to a normal switch in that it incurs damage from entry hazards, as normal.

Edit: I just remembered that when I was testing Fire Burst, or whatever it's called, it did neutral damage to a fire type and a grass type (the overspill part of the effect, that is). I didn't test it on a flash fire user or another immunity, or on magic coat, however.

Brick Break doesn't break neither Reflect nor Light Screen anymore if it targeted a Ghost-type. Rayquaza and Rotom were used for this test, it went like this:

Turn 1: Rayquaza used ExtremeSpeed (to stall out), Rotom is unaffected, Rotom used Light Screen

Turn 2: Rayquaza used ExtremeSpeed, Rotom is unaffected, Rotom used Reflect

Turn 3: Rayquaza used Brick Break, Rotom is unaffected and didn't break any screen at all

Turn 4: nothing interesting

Turn 5: Light Screen wore off at the end of the turn.

Turn 6: Reflect wore off at the end of the turn.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Questions:
-Have the algorithms for the item EXP share changed? If so, How?

Here's what we have right now:
Smogon said:
The Pokémon holding this item receives 50% of the experience points earned in battle. If more than one Pokémon is holding an Exp. Share, 50% of the experience points will be distributed equally amongst all Pokémon holding Exp. Shares.

Miracle Skin: Does it halve Thunder's chance of paralyzing the Pokemon from 30% to 15%?
Used Thunder 50 times with a Rhyhorn on a Shinboraa with Miracle Skin during permanent Rain.
Out of those 50 times, 16 paralyzed Shinboraa or 32%

I suppose this confirms that Miracle Skin doesn't effect Thunder's paralyze rate. Seeing as the chance of landing 16 paralyzes with only 15% chance seems virtually unexistant

Synchronize: Does it hit every Pokemon on the field that matches the user's type, including ones it could not normally reach?
No, only those it can normally reach (so in a triple battle, it can't hit either of the Pokemon on the far side of it).

Also, it does not deal damage to the user.

Questions:
-Have the algorithms for the item EXP share changed? If so, How?
Almost certainly, since Experience Gain is now dependent of the relation of the Levels of the Pokémon. It's probably still proportional, though.

I'll test this a bit once I finish the main game, but if someone wants to crack the Experience formula before then, it'd be useful.

I've also heard that a lot of Base Experience values were changed, as well.

Can anyone confirm whether Psycho Break (the special move that hits for physical damage) is reflected back by the move Counter, or the move Mirror Coat?

Can anyone confirm whether Psycho Break (the special move that hits for physical damage) is reflected back by the move Counter, or the move Mirror Coat?
I'll do that right now, since I have Pokemon with those moves in my party already. One sec...

Edit: Actually never mind, I heard Theorymon was doing this and it seems like he's in a better position for it already than I am.

Just posting to say that I tested Cursed Body a little bit.

-I used Bubble, Absorb, and Night Shade, which activated against Pururiru.
-The duration of the disabled effect was consistently 3 turns.
-Switching removes the disabled effect from Cursed Body.
-Things like Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, etc. do not trigger Cursed Body from the few tests I have run.
-It seems that Cursed Body will not activate when hit by a move from a Pokemon that is currently disabled by Cursed Body. (Cannot have two moves currently disabled by Cursed Body?)

Iron Fist: Has the boost increased?
Infernape with 307 Attack and Iron Fist using Thunderpunch against a Wobbuffet with 216 Def.

Without Iron Fist: 77 - 91 (from smogon's damage calc not tested by me)
With Iron Fist: 92-109 damage(both min and max damage confirmed after 60! times)

The boost from Iron Fist is 20% which is the same as in gen 4

-Things like Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, etc. do not trigger Cursed Body from the few tests I have run.
-It seems that Cursed Body will not activate when hit by a move from a Pokemon that is currently disabled by Cursed Body. (Cannot have two moves currently disabled by Cursed Body?)
You may also want to test Cursed Body w/ Sub if it can be triggered. Its the big question everyone keeps asking about the ability that nobody has answered yet.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

What's the activation rate? 100%?

I'm *pretty* sure that it will cancel it out, but do we know if Lucky Chant is superseded by the auto-crit moves? By the way, I'm going to test the rotation battle with pursuit to see if that goes before a rotation, too.

Also, Mien - I'm impressed at your diligence, 60! is almost a Gogol =P

is there any way to find out exactly what/who is allowed in random wi-fi (3v3)? i've heard conflicting information, like battle tower rules, everyone's allowed, etc..

more specifically, which legends are banned, including lati@s (soul dew?), sleep clause, etc etc.

Using pursuit in a rotation battle has no effect; it doesn't 'catch' a pokemon that's rotating out. However, 'switching out' and not 'rotating' lets pursuit activate as normal. Additionally, Leftovers do not activate (and, I assume, neither do any other held items) when a pokemon is rotated out.

What are the effects surrounding the ability Self-Conscious?

Serebii's ingenious definition:

"There are types you are self-counscious around of and raise your speed."

How are types determined (I'm guessing type-effectiveness chart) and how big of a speed boost are we talking? (+1?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)