B&W Research Thread

Level 64 216 Attack Doryuuzu using Fling against a level 59 126 Defense Burunkeru:

Rugged Helmet: 106, 110, 102, 106, 100, 110, 114, 100, 110, 112, 98, 96, 98, 98, 102, 108, 100, 98, 100, 102

The Smogon damage calculator pegs that at 60 power. No additional effects.

Type-boosting Jewels: Fling fails when the user is holding one of these. Or at least it fails with the ones I tried, which were Dark, Psychic, Grass, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Electric, Steel, Dragon, Normal, Poison, Flying, Fire, Water, and Bug. I don't have a Fighting or Rock Jewel.

Aiming Mark: 18, 18, 20, 18, 20, 20, 18, 18, 22, 20, 20, 20, 18, 18, 18, 20, 18, 18, 18, 22

It doesn't remove immunities when used with Fling; Facade still failed against Burunkeru afterward. This damage range looks like 10 power.

I don't have most of the other new items like Balloon, Bulb, Pressure Band, Red Card (one I'd really like to know the effect of), etc., but I could test the Evolution Stone and Pumice Stone later if nobody else does first. I did check really quickly if Flinging an Evolution Stone to my Poliwhirl would raise its Defense and Special Defense, but it didn't.

Level 64 216 Attack Doryuuzu using Fling against a level 59 126 Defense Burunkeru:

Rugged Helmet: 106, 110, 102, 106, 100, 110, 114, 100, 110, 112, 98, 96, 98, 98, 102, 108, 100, 98, 100, 102

The Smogon damage calculator pegs that at 60 power. No additional effects.

Type-boosting Jewels: Fling fails when the user is holding one of these. Or at least it fails with the ones I tried, which were Dark, Psychic, Grass, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Electric, Steel, Dragon, Normal, Poison, Flying, Fire, Water, and Bug. I don't have a Fighting or Rock Jewel.

Aiming Mark: 18, 18, 20, 18, 20, 20, 18, 18, 22, 20, 20, 20, 18, 18, 18, 20, 18, 18, 18, 22

It doesn't remove immunities when used with Fling; Facade still failed against Burunkeru afterward. This damage range looks like 10 power.

I don't have most of the other new items like Balloon, Bulb, Pressure Band, Red Card (one I'd really like to know the effect of), etc., but I could test the Evolution Stone and Pumice Stone later if nobody else does first. I did check really quickly if Flinging an Evolution Stone to my Poliwhirl would raise its Defense and Special Defense, but it didn't.
Aiming Mark has already been confirmed to remove the holder's immunities, not the opponent's.

Here's something I did about 30 seconds ago. I used a Sassy natured (+SpD,-SpE) natured Regigigas holding an Iron Ball for this experiment. My moves are listed in blue, under A.T.K.

Shikimi sent out Desukan (level 48)!
A.T.K. sent out Fatass (level 59)!
The foe's Desukan used Will-O-Wisp!
Fatass used Knock Off!
It's super effective!

(Yellow bar displaying ability effect activation appears)
At this point, I'm assuming the effects of Slow Start have been removed.
Regigias used Thunderpunch!
At this point, the fact that Regigigas outspeeds Desukan at this point, as opposed to before, lets me know that the speed-halving effect of Slow Start has been removed.

I'll do some further playtesting with this, and retest it as well.
The more we know, the better.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is Justice Heart supposed to always activate after receiving a Dark Type damaging move? Because it didn't work for this Terakion.

I could come up with a couple of reasons for this: Either the Terakion was badly hacked, it was fault of the translated patch, or it was the combination of Zoroark's Night Bust lowering its Accuracy at the same time that Terakion switched in. Or it could also mean that Justice Heart fails if a secondary effect happens.

If Justice Heart is not supposed to always activate after receiving a Dark Type damaging move, please disregard this post.

Is Justice Heart supposed to always activate after receiving a Dark Type damaging move? Because it didn't work for this Terakion.

I could come up with a couple of reasons for this: Either the Terakion was badly hacked, it was fault of the translated patch, or it was the combination of Zoroark's Night Bust lowering its Accuracy at the same time that Terakion switched in. Or it could also mean that Justice Heart fails if a secondary effect happens.

If Justice Heart is not supposed to always activate after receiving a Dark Type damaging move, please disregard this post.
Badly hacked Terakion is probably the correct answer. With seen some pretty poor hacks (Sazandora without Levitate, etc).

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Various research I've done over the last little while. I'm not sure how much of it is new.

-Quick Claw activation gives a message, and the message is given at the very start of a turn, even before a switch
-Quick Claw still allows you to "jump queue" in getting hit with multi-target attacks like Rock Slide, no activation message or animation is given when this happens.
-Levitate gives an activation message when targetted with a Ground Attack
-Psycho Shock requires use of Mirror Coat to return damage.
-Power ____ (eg. Power Anklet) items will still cause stat pass down in breeeding.
-Everstones still work for breeding to pass down Nature, and it now works even if you use Pokemon from two different language games.
-Cute Charm gives an activation message even if the Pokemon with the Ability was KO'd by the attack.
-Cursed Body can activate on non-contact moves. Cursed Body can activate regardless of ig you get KO'd by the attack or not.
-Free Fall WILL damage Levitating Pokemon
eg. Aerodactyl in the Battle Subway used Free Fall and took out my Gengar
-When it's a wild Pokemon battle, Roar seems to ALWAYS fail if the target is higher level. You cannot force the opponent to RUN if they are a higher level than you. This has nothing to do with SWITCHING or trainer battles.
eg. a Level 33 Wild Haaderia would always fail to cause my level 35 Hitomoshi to flee the battle, but a Level 68 Piloswine could roar to force a switch on a level 71 Bronzong just fine.

Testing Trickery

Attack damage is calculated using the user's Level, user's Types, user's Held Item, opponent's Attack stat, and any stat modifiers to it. It does not use the opponent's ability. It probably uses your own ability but I haven't been able to test this yet.

By running off of the user's item, I mean that the opponent holding a Choice Band will not affect damage while your Pokemon holding one will. I gave Linoone a Choice Band, and Warubiaru hit Linoone for 66 damage. When I gave Warubiaru the Choice Band instead, it did 91 damage.

So, for example:

Level 42 Warubiaru
vs.
Level 100 Linoone (197 Atk, 154 Def)

It acts as if the Warubiaru had 197 attack when attacking.

Expected Damage range: 57-67

Another time I used an X Attack on Linoone and it boosted the damage dealt.

Pure Power + CB + Trickery probably would have been a fun thing to use if it was practical.

I tested this out with a Drought Ninetales + Growth Victreebel.

Victreebel used Growth
Victreebel's Atk rose greatly!
Victreebel's Sp. Atk rose greatly!
Wait, greatly? Or sharply?

Isn't greatly for Tail Glow's +3 boost? If so, and you're sure it said greatly, Growth might need testing to find out if it's a +2 boost or a +3 boost.

Wait, greatly? Or sharply?

Isn't greatly for Tail Glow's +3 boost? If so, and you're sure it said greatly, Growth might need testing to find out if it's a +2 boost or a +3 boost.
The current English translation patch uses greatly for a two-stage increase, since using Swords Dance (still a two-stage increase) "greatly" increases Atk.

The current English translation patch uses greatly for a two-stage increase, since using Swords Dance (still a two-stage increase) "greatly" increases Atk.
English translation patch? Should we really be using those for testing?

That said, it seems to be a moot point, if we already know now that it can be used three times.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Been playing around with a Lum Resting Harvest Exeggute, and it seems that there's a bit more to it than first thought. Firstly, Harvest triggers at the end of the turn (I'm not sure if it's before/after sandstorm/hail damage, need to test there later). Secondly, there seems to be a certain success rate for the berry to be regenerated. Sometimes, upon LumResting, the berry regenerates immediately at the end of the turn. However, there are times where it activates after one or two turns. A little testing will shed light on what the percentage rate is.

EDIT: Also, as mentioned before, if the berry is regenerated while the activation conditions are met, it will be consumed again immediately. It happened while I rested Exeggute on a turn after the berry didn't regenerate. And it did not regenerate again after it was consumed. Of course, during the end of the next turn, it was regenerated yet again.

EDIT2: Lum Rest test
Code:
Use 1 - 0 turns
Use 2 - 0 turns
Use 3 - 3 turns
Use 4 - 0 turns
Use 5 - 0 turns
Use 6 - 0 turns
Use 7 - 0 turns
Use 8 - 0 turns
Use 9 - 0 turns
Use 10 - 0 turns
Use 11 - 0 turns
Use 12 - 1 turns
Use 13 - 0 turns
Use 14 - 0 turns
Use 15 - 4 turns
Use 16 - 2 turns
Use 17 - 0 turns
Use 18 - 1 turn
Use 19 - 3 turns
Use 20 - 0 turns
Oh, and apparently even if Exeggute is KO'd, if it is revived and brought back into battle, it still has a chance to regenerate the berry~
...accursed Super Luck Mamepato.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wait, does it mean Nattorei is immune to Dragon Tail's phazing effect?
Yes, it means that Nattorei is immune to Dragon Tail's phazing effect. However, note that it will only be "immune" when the user of Dragon Tail is at 12.5% of health or less and therefore dies because of the damage of Nattorei's ability.

Then nattorei is immune to dragon tail phazing, does it apply to ability "rough skin" as well?
Looks probable. I'll test it out later and see if it happens like with Steel Thorns.

Just ftr, V3 of the translation patch is usable for testing. No in-game mechanics were actually changed in the previous ones, it's just that Toxic Orb's message had line break issues, and some text was swapped around due to the screwy nature of the file structure of B&W.

I'd link to it, but I'm lazy and you could just google it anyways.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice testing on Harvest. That's a very weird distribution on the delay until the berry regenerates. Was there some outside force at work there? Was your opponent Pokémon the same during this whole test?

Oh, and apparently even if Exeggute is KO'd, if it is revived and brought back into battle, it still has a chance to regenerate the berry~
...accursed Super Luck Mamepato.
To give you some context for this, in 4th gen, items that were used up were "stored" in the using Pokémon's space so that they could be brought back with Recycle. If a different Pokémon used Recycle in that same spot, it could gain the item.

So here are two questions I have:

1. Can Harvest restore a berry that another Pokémon on your team has used? Make sure the Harvest Pokémon doesn't start the battle with an item for this test.

2. Can a Harvest Pokémon restore an item lost by using Fling, Nature Power, and most importantly, Gift Pass?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet, but I have been playing Doubles on the Random Wifi ladder and have noticed that Sitrus Berry activates at the end of the turn now, not instantly after the damage of the move that caused it to drop below 50%.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Was there some outside force at work there? Was your opponent Pokémon the same during this whole test?
Yeah, a lv. 11 Mamepato

1. Can Harvest restore a berry that another Pokémon on your team has used? Make sure the Harvest Pokémon doesn't start the battle with an item for this test.
Taught my Ugrumoth Rest and gave it a Lum, forced it to use it and switched to Exeggute, which was holding no items. Over 20 turns of repeated Hypnosis and Reflect, the berry did not regenerate on to Exeggute.

2. Can a Harvest Pokémon restore an item lost by using Fling, Nature Power, and most importantly, Gift Pass?
Had to do some loop jumping for Fling: Used a Smeargle with Role Play and Fling, holding a Sitrus Berry. Surprisingly, it regenerated the berry! I guess it kinda makes sense since technically the target also consumes the berry upon being hit, but its still quite a suprise.

Gonna grind this Exeggute a bit to learn the next two attacks, but I theorize that it WON'T be able to regenerate from them, because they won't 'consume' the berry.

EDIT: Used Natural Gift with Exeggute holding Sitrus Berry, in a double battle against two Minezumi. KO'd the first one, and at the end of the turn, the berry regenerated! Good thing I'm not a betting man, or I would be down a few bucks. Though again, technically it IS consuming the berry.

EDIT2: Decided against grinding to lv. 53 just to learn Gift Pass so I used Smeargle using Role Play and Gift Pass. Entered a double battle against 2 Mamepato, Role Played Exeggute, successfully Gift Passed to one of the Mamepato, and stalled for 20 turns. The berry did NOT regenerate

EDIT3: Also decided to run a special test. Taught a Smeargle Thief and gave an Exeggute a Sitrus Berry, stole said Sitrus Berry from Exeggute, and lowered Smeargle's HP enough so that it consumed the berry. Unfortunately, after 10 turns, the berry did not regenerate.

It seems that for Harvest to activate, the Harvest pokemon must be the one holding the berry during the turn it is 'consumed', in one fashion or another.

-Everstones still work for breeding to pass down Nature, and it now works even if you use Pokemon from two different language games.
That's cool. Are the increased shiny chances from multicultural breeding still around? Not sure how easy this would be to test though.

EDIT:

About Everstones, something I have noticed is that both genders can use everstone to pass natures now. Also when breeding with Ditto, the other pokémon can pass nature as well. Before it was only Ditto (I think).
This came about in HG/SS, so it's not a new Gen 5 thing.

About Everstones, something I have noticed is that both genders can use everstone to pass natures now. Also when breeding with Ditto, the other pokémon can pass nature as well. Before it was only Ditto (I think).

I don't know about muticultural breedin thought, but I did get a shiny Washiboon when breeding with pkmn from different language versions. Could just be luck thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)