B&W Research Thread

No, as there's no way the game can possibly know if you're actually trying to control the RNG's output or not--whether you are or aren't, the game's doing exactly the same thing (the only real difference is whether or not your paying attention to the game's output in detail or not, which is the same regardless of it being watched), so if it isn't possible to get through RNG manipulation, then it's not possible to get period.
Ah, gotcha. I thought maybe the game had some RNG control checks or something.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Just wondering... but if you used an AR code to force shinyness... would Victini not go into battle with you, and would Reshiram and Zekrom STILL force an ID change preventing them from being shiny?

I believe not, seeing as in previous cases, Mystery Gift Pokemon were not supposed to be shiny (usually) but I've never heard of problems from hackers.

The Pokemon do all have shiny sprites, so shiny forms will probably be released from an event.

mattj and I tested the following this evening:
What is analyze's power boost?
It's almost certainly 1.3x.

In this test, we had a hacked min speed Analyze Magnezone use Thunderbolt vs. max HP Blissey. The normal damage range would be 132-156 HP without Analyze.

With Analyze, the damage was:
187, 174 (crit), 199, 183, 181, 190, 193, 195, 183 (crit), 199, 199, 187, 174
[or a range of 174-199]
(Damage from crits is already halved and rounded down.)

At least we know for sure it's between 1.25x and 1.33x, because the highest damage from 1.25x would be 195 (too low), and the lowest damage from 1.33x would be 175 (too high).
With 1.3x, the damage range would be 171-202 HP.
I think it's possible it would be a 1.333333333333333333333333333333333333333... boost to special attack instead. Unless you already knew that and want another update.

Lol, I don't even know if this belongs here, and it may have been this way in previous generations (though I'm pretty sure it wasn't) but apparently there's some kind of "no no list" when it comes to NNing your pokemon. Just try to name it something dirty. It won't let you. xD
I tried this early on - a certain four-letter word with the root word from German ("flicken") was blocked, yet "Mew" sailed through without any problem.

Not that this means anything in competitive play. Still, I find it funny they thought to include this on the Japanese version of the game.

breh

強いだね
When using Pyscho Break or any variant, will using reflect weaken it, or will light screen weaken it?
Psycho Shock deals physical damage but substitutes the user's Special Attack in the damage formula instead of their Attack. Is reflected by Mirror Coat.
The OP says it is reflected by Mirror Coat; thus it is safe to say that Light Screen affects it.

Tested fellowing mechanics in-game

When using Pyscho Break or any variant, will using reflect weaken it, or will light screen weaken it?
Psycho shock's damage was halved by Light Screen not by Reflect.

Baton Pass: The trapping effect of Mean Look\Wrap\etc. can no longer be passed but what about the self-trapping (phaze-immunity) and HP recovering effect of Ingrain?
Yes, both the healing and self-trapping effect of Ingrain can still be passed.

Does Clear Smog's effect (similar to haze) work through a Substitute, or if a Pokemon is immune?
Clear Smog's effect does not work on a substitude nor on a pokemon that is immune.

Does Harvest restore Berry Juice?
It does not

1. Does Free Fall pop Balloon?
2. If not, does Balloon provide immunity against the damage portion of Free Fall?

3. Has anyone done testing on which new 5th gen moves (besides the new damaging phazers) cannot be chosen by Assist? Can Death Gambit be chosen by Assist?

something important: Nature Power while surfing is Hydro Pump.
Typhlosion gets Nature Power.

As I understand it, IR battles are immediate regardless of location.

How does Nature Power function with IR battles?

breh

強いだね
Conversion: What happens if the only non-normal type move in the user's moveset is Hidden Power? Will the conversion be to the type of the Hidden Power or will it be to normal?

Conversion: What happens if the user has only normal-type moves?

Conversion: Can it convert to the same type? (Porygon 2 with Tri Attack uses conversion; it transforms into a normal type)

Conversion: Is it affected by Status moves? (Porygon 2 with Toxic uses conversion; it transforms into a poison type)

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Genosect's sprite changes when it is given a cassette to hold, so that raised some suspicions that it may be immune to item removal. Please test Trick, Knock Off, and other moves that remove items against Genosect both when it is holding a cassette and when it is holding some other item.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
VGC related question for Doubles:

If you use Anger Powder on Morobareru (or Follow Me on something random, dunno what gets it) when it is holding an Escape Button, and it gets attacked and switched out, is Anger Powder still in effect, and will the attack be redirected to the slot that the AP/FM Pokemon was in?

breh

強いだね

If you use Anger Powder on Morobareru (or Follow Me on something random, dunno what gets it) when it is holding an Escape Button, and it gets attacked and switched out, is Anger Powder still in effect, and will the attack be redirected to the slot that the AP/FM Pokemon was in?
If the same morobareru holds no item but is Dragon Tailed, what is the outcome?

When I put it on Bulbapedia they told me to disregard it.

Also, does Step Forme Meloetta change back when rotated out in a Rotation Battle? Test, don't just assume.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If a Pokemon with Competitive Spirit holding a White Herb is hit by Intimidate, which activates first?

Either
A) Competitive Spirit activates first, so the Pokemon is back at +1 Attack and White Herb doesn't activate OR
B) White Herb activates first, Competitive Spirit activates after and the Pokemon is at +2 Attack

If a Pokemon with Competitive Spirit holding a White Herb is hit by Intimidate, which activates first?

Either
A) Competitive Spirit activates first, so the Pokemon is back at +1 Attack and White Herb doesn't activate OR
B) White Herb activates first, Competitive Spirit activates after and the Pokemon is at +2 Attack
Option A, Competitive spirit activated first, White herb did not activate.

If the same morobareru holds no item but is Dragon Tailed, what is the outcome?
No, Anger powder's effect ends once the pokemon switches out with Escape Button. It was impossible for me to test Dragon Tail but it will probably yield the same results.

Genosect's sprite changes when it is given a cassette to hold, so that raised some suspicions that it may be immune to item removal. Please test Trick, Knock Off, and other moves that remove items against Genosect both when it is holding a cassette and when it is holding some other item.
Genosect holding Thunderbolt cassette is immune to Trick(i assume other item removing moves as well)
Genosect holding Life orb or another pokemon holding Thunder cassette were not immune to Trick.

Conversion: What happens if the only non-normal type move in the user's moveset is Hidden Power? Will the conversion be to the type of the Hidden Power or will it be to normal?

Conversion: What happens if the user has only normal-type moves?

Conversion: Can it convert to the same type? (Porygon 2 with Tri Attack uses conversion; it transforms into a normal type)

Conversion: Is it affected by Status moves? (Porygon 2 with Toxic uses conversion; it transforms into a poison type)
Smogon's conversion page answers the first 3 questions, i do not see why Status moves would yield any different results.

1. Does Free Fall pop Balloon?
2. If not, does Balloon provide immunity against the damage portion of Free Fall?
Free Fall pop's Balloon and damages the user, nothing special happened.

Also i noticed that Freefall fails if used on your ally which probably explains the contradictory results we've got so far.

Also i noticed that Freefall fails if used on your ally which probably explains the contradictory results we've got so far.
That's actually a fairly well thought out mechanic, since it could result in ridiculous stalling under the right conditions. But then, they went ahead and let Exeggutor infinite PP stall...

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Genosect holding Thunderbolt cassette is immune to Trick(i assume other item removing moves as well)
Genosect holding Life orb or another pokemon holding Thunder cassette were not immune to Trick.
Care to test this with Arceus holding a Plate and a non-Plate item as well?

Does Sucker Punch work if the opponent attacks before the user (uses a priority attack and is faster, uses Extremespeed/Feint/Pursuit on switching pokemon in doubles or triples/Fake Out on Inner Focus Kirikizan/Girafirig/Kangaskhan)?
What about trying to Trick a cassette to Genesect?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)