B&W Research Thread

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
This has been bugging me a bit. The OP says that the tentative effects for the Oath combinations are as follows:

Grass + Fire Pledge -> None-fire opponents are damaged for 1/8 of their total HP at the end of the turn.
Fire + Water Pledge -> Speed of all opponents is reduced by 50%.
Water + Grass Pledge -> Doubles the chance of a move's side effect occurring. Does not stack with Serene Grace.
I have heard from other sources that Fire+Water makes the Serene Grace effect, while the Water+Grass makes the "swamp" that lowers speed. In other words, the Fire+Water and Grass+Water effects might be reversed. Could somebody test this again?

breh

強いだね
yes, iirc they are reversed and nobody has bothered to change it

And think about it, which is more likely to make swamps - Water and Fire or Water and Grass?

I tested this for someone on another forum, and thought I'd post it here.

Although Prankster gives non-attacking moves priority, it's not in the usual sense; Quick Guard failed to protect against a Prankster-Priority Stun Spore.

It's possible that it didn't protect it because Quick Guard doesn't protect against non-damaging priority moves, but since Snatch, the only Status move with a priority over 0 that targets the foe, steals Quick Guard anyway, it's impossible to test.

CPU:

That's because Prankster treats non-damaging moves as having a priority level 1 greater than usual, and only when calculating priority for the round:

"The priority level of the bearer's non-damaging moves is temporarily increased by 1 while determining priority."

In this way, for example, Stun Spore, which normally has a priority level of 0, would have a priority level of 1, but only "while determining priority". Stun Spore still has a priority level of 0 in all other cases. My description for Quick Guard reads in part:

"User and its allies avoid attacks against each of them whose original priority level is greater than 0."

Since Stun Spore's original priority level is 0, not 1, it is not avoided with Quick Guard even if its attacker has Prankster.

It's noted other places and I just saw it happen in-game, so:
Smack Down can hit Pokémon using Fly. It knocks them out of it, too.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I can confirm if no one else has, EV berries do exist in the dream world. You start getting them after you unlock the sky area (2500 dream world points).

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, this is how it worked in 4th gen, too. If all opponent's of a Pokémon with Trace had untraceable abilities (Trace itself, for instance, is not traceable), Trace would instead activate the moment an opponent that did have a traceable ability came onto the field.

In fact, there was a loop of Trace checks until everything resolves.

Important stuff; someone told me this is worth being reposted here,
there's already discussion about it going on in the Sheer Force thread:

Dangerous36M has uploaded the latest episode of his Metapodcast,
where he pointed out that Sheer Force boosts the elemental fangs TWICE.
I didn't find any information in here or on bulbapedia about that, and it
definitely needs to be tested. I mean, it would make sense, since for example
Fire Fang has a chance to burn the target and make it flinch.

Important stuff; someone told me this is worth being reposted here,
there's already discussion about it going on in the Sheer Force thread:
I think this was tested before not sure, anyway tested this in-game with sheer force darma having both Fire Fang and Fire Punch, tried more than one try, and it seems to me Fire Fang is always weaker than Fire Punch (albeit by little), as in Fire Fang is boosted only once by Sheer Force; not twice.

Interesting Pokemon Fact:
I'm not sure if anybody discovered this out yet, but... I thought my game was glitched for a moment. I was using my sync Alakazam to help me find Bold natured Pokemon. In theory this should have worked--I run into a wild pokemon and it has a 50% chance to be the same nature as my Sync Alakazam.

Now I DID NOT KNOW that there is an ingame item that directly effects that ability.

Pokemon Description said:
TwistedSpoon: An item to be held by a Pokémon. It is a spoon imbued with telekinetic power that boosts Psychic-type moves.
Now I was dumbfounded for maybe 30 minutes. My Alakazam is Bold Natured and I was in search of wild Feebas, increasing the chance of it being Bold Natured to help cut down on alot of pointless breeding, and out of the 6 Feebas I’ve caught using the quickball, I wondered why they all were Lonely natured. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Bold Nature, [+Defense] [-Attack]
Lonely Nature, [+Attack] [-Defense]

With the TwistedSpoon Item held, The synchronize ability becomes inversed. The wild pokemon then has a 50% chance of being the opposite nature of the synchronize pokemon.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Interesting Pokemon Fact:
I'm not sure if anybody discovered this out yet, but... I thought my game was glitched for a moment. I was using my sync Alakazam to help me find Bold natured Pokemon. In theory this should have worked--I run into a wild pokemon and it has a 50% chance to be the same nature as my Sync Alakazam.

Now I DID NOT KNOW that there is an ingame item that directly effects that ability.

Now I was dumbfounded for maybe 30 minutes. My Alakazam is Bold Natured and I was in search of wild Feebas, increasing the chance of it being Bold Natured to help cut down on alot of pointless breeding, and out of the 6 Feebas I’ve caught using the quickball, I wondered why they all were Lonely natured. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Bold Nature, [+Defense] [-Attack]
Lonely Nature, [+Attack] [-Defense]

With the TwistedSpoon Item held, The synchronize ability becomes inversed. The wild pokemon then has a 50% chance of being the opposite nature of the synchronize pokemon.
Busted.

I tested with both a Timid Espeon and Jolly Alakazam holding Twistedspoon. On frames where RNG Reporter indicated Synchronize would work, I got the expected Synchronize nature (Timid\Jolly), not the reverse (Brave\Quiet).

You've just gotten extremely unlucky, or you might be using an AR code you're not telling us about.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, two of my friends were having a Rotation battle recently, and they discovered something really odd. One person's Garbador used Attract on the other's Mandibuzz, and then Mandibuzz was rotated out for a Accelgor, who KOed Garbador with Final Gambit. however, later when Mandibuzz was rotated back in, it was still attracted.

I tried to figure out what caused it, but I haven't been able to find anything out. Anyone know about this, or want to figure out what it is?

They uploaded a video of the battle, so if you want to see exactly what happened, it is battle number 30-44234-1087.

moogleking:

Yes it does, I just finished testing it in-game.

The following will better explain what happens, using my partial descriptions for Magic Bounce and Motor Drive:

When Electivire uses Thunder Wave, Magic Bounce kicks in:

Magic Bounce - Whenever the bearer is the target of one of certain attacks by non-bearers ... instead the bearer uses that attack against that non-bearer.

Thus, the bearer of Magic Bounce is now "using" Thunder Wave. However, since it's an Electric-type attack against Electivire, Motor Drive triggers.

Motor Drive - Whenever an Electric-type attack ... by a non-bearer targets bearer ... bearer's Speed is increased by 1 stage and that attack is ineffective against bearer.

Thus, Electivire absorbs the Thunder Wave.

If a pokemon with the ability Sheer Force used an attack that has 2 additional effects(like fire fang) would it receive an extra boost for each?

I think this was tested before not sure, anyway tested this in-game with sheer force darma having both Fire Fang and Fire Punch, tried more than one try, and it seems to me Fire Fang is always weaker than Fire Punch (albeit by little), as in Fire Fang is boosted only once by Sheer Force; not twice.
This is literally on the same page you posted the question on. Unless...

tjtjpoke:

No it wouldn't. According to my testing, Fire Fang's power in this situation would be 85 (65 * 1.3), not 110 (65 * 1.3 * 1.3).

My description for Sheer Force reads, in part:

"Power of attacks by bearer with an additional effect is multiplied by 1.3."

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
With the help of a friend, LizardMan, we conducted two tests:

Does a weather-inducing ability work immediately upon switching in, or do all other switches in the round happen and then abilities take effect?
As shown by this video, the weather inducing ability does in fact work immediately as opposed to waiting for the other switches in the round to conclude.

Does Reflect reduce Brick Break's damage if the target has a Substitute up?
As shown by this video, Reflect does not in fact reduce the damage if the target has a Substitute up.

For reference purposes, a max attack Jolly Garchomp was used against a 0/0 Alakazam. The Garchomp had 31 IVs in Attack while the Alakazam had 31 IVs in HP and Defense.

Damage Calculations: Without Reflect up, Alakazam would take 30.2% - 35.7% which would break the Sub. With Reflect up, Alakazam would take 15.1% - 17.9%, which would not break the Sub. However, as shown in the video, Brick Break destroys Reflect, breaking the Sub.

Question.

Last generation, when switched in on hazards, a Pokémon would take hazard damage before its switch-in ability occurred. For example, Kyogre with 1 HP switches in, takes damage from Stealth Rock, and faints. Drizzle does not activate.

Is this still the way it occurs in cartridge?

Question.

Last generation, when switched in on hazards, a Pokémon would take hazard damage before its switch-in ability occurred. For example, Kyogre with 1 HP switches in, takes damage from Stealth Rock, and faints. Drizzle does not activate.

Is this still the way it occurs in cartridge?
My Porygon2 took Stealth Rock damage before Download activated.

Okay, I have a really weird question, and I know it's a little hard to believe because I didn't have proof, but here it goes:

Today while RNGing Eggs I flew myself to Victory Road to see if I hit my seed by catching a Pokémon. The Pokémon that appeared was a Deino. I chucked some balls at it, while suddenly I heard the Critical Capture sound, so I started looking at my screen, the Ultra Ball opened, shook once, dropped to the ground and OPENED. WTF is up with that! It's going to be very hard to recreate, but I'm still fighting the Deino while typing this.

Okay, I have a really weird question, and I know it's a little hard to believe because I didn't have proof, but here it goes:

Today while RNGing Eggs I flew myself to Victory Road to see if I hit my seed by catching a Pokémon. The Pokémon that appeared was a Deino. I chucked some balls at it, while suddenly I heard the Critical Capture sound, so I started looking at my screen, the Ultra Ball opened, shook once, dropped to the ground and OPENED. WTF is up with that! It's going to be very hard to recreate, but I'm still fighting the Deino while typing this.
A critical capture can still fail, it just has a significantly less chance of doing so.

breh

強いだね
As far as I understand, a critical capture has roughly twice the chance of succeeding.

The way it works is this:
A standard catch checks 4 times - 3 shakes and stars.
A critical catch checks twice - 1 shake and stars.

Thus, a critical capture has about twice the chance of success.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)