The (Past) Dark Horse Project — Volume 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know where everyone is at the moment. I'm currently at 1208 and stopping for the day.
I haven't even started laddering, I have about a billion different sets I am testing on Metagross, and I'm building my team first, after I'm done with my team I'll ladder.

*** Your rank in Standard OU is 872/48192 [1184 points / 11 battles]!

Both Crobat and Cradily are working perfectly. Im using a SS team of course, and Cradily in particular is a fantastic counter to anything Special. To put it in perspective, Modest Specs Latios Draco Meteor does less than 75%, averaging under 70%, without a resist! A fantastic counter to Rotom-W too.
Crobat's speed is almost unrivaled in the metagame (as has been discussed in this topic), allowing it to taunt anything that wants to set up and fire off surprisingly powerful Brave Birds. The SR weakness is a problem, but I have a spinner so it's not too bad.

As for the battles, I think my record is 9-2 (not certain). One loss I was outplayed, the other I misplayed in a 1v1 Wobb v Crobat, missing that taunt ended and allowing him to encore U-turn. RIP ;_;

got this currently:
(22:00:30) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 11794/48233 [1037 points / 24 battles]!

crappy...

edit: before i sleep: (00:14:31) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 13384/48282 [1030 points / 40 battles]!

still crappy..lol

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Pokemon Online Username: BurningManDarkHorse
Hall of Fame Standing: /
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Azelf,Tornadus
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

Cherub Agent's CB Aggron

I think what you need is a Pokemon that can remove Steel- and Ground-types that can hinder Aggron from Head Smash spamming and Reuniclus from sweeping in 4 turns. Your team would like to remove Ferrothorn, Scizor, Quagsire, Hippowdon, and Donphan. I think offensive Heatran is optimal for removing these threats.

Heatran @ Air Balloon / Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power [Grass]
~ Stealth Rock / Will-O-Wisp

You would also want Pokemon that can deal with Landorus and Terrakion, as Aggron only compounds your team's weakness to these major threats. A defensive approach would be packing a Slowbro, whereas an offensive approach would involve packing a Scizor or Pokemon that is faster than them (ie Latios, Starmie, Sceptile, Scarfers).

I'd also try to fit in Aqua Tail on Aggron, since it allows Aggron to 2HKO Hippowdon.

I was using Modest Air Balloon, but it wasn't working out. Imma try a LO Heatran though, sounds pretty awesome, not to mention unexpected. I'll also try Slowbro, who has awesome synergy with Tran. Thanks a lot Pocket! And yeah, Aqua Tail sounds good, but i literally never see Hippowdon and i need Ice Punch for coverage anf fire punch for ferrothorn. I'll give it a go over fire punch though

Pokemon Online Username: N3RD
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Spinda, Magneton, Claydol
Current Ladder Standing: 1000 (Have not begun testing yet)

Pokemon Online Username: Momentum.
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ambipom
Current Ladder Standing: 1230

So, obviously, I have gone with a momentum based team and it has worked out quite well so far, having lost only one battle. I have Uxie and Ambipom slashed because Ambipom can be considered a dark horse but I felt as if it wasn't a main part of the team, simply a situational poke that I needed to counter some threats, whereas uxie was my back bone but now as I progress down the ladder I am beginning to question uxie's place, not because it is bad or doesn't provide for the team, but because I have one or two huge holes and there aren't enough team slots to fill them. So I may end up replacing Uxie and making Ambipom my horse simply because of how it ends up playing out.

--------EDIT-------------

Uxie is out, Gliscor is in. Still provides rocks and a defensive back bone but allows for much more offensive pressure and gives me that ground stab i've been looking for

Team:
Starmie @ Life Orb Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

I hate sun, this team hates sun, there is sun EVERYWHERE.

Starmie can change the weather (taking down tails is easy enough) and plow through those damn Venusaurs.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mainly here because of its nice defensive typing

Gliscor (M) @ Flight Gem Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Rocks and, although unorthodox, quite a bit of offensive pressure.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Momentum ^obvs

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Low Sweep
- Double Hit

Surprisingly EXTREMELY powerful. With technician boosting its crap, ambipom can't be underestimated as a clean-upper.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
- Spore
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

The "glue" of this team atm; comes in on something slower and does its job from there

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i havent tried this in OU yet, but it gets a lot of easy wins in the lower tiers. i was thinking of using a trick room team with cresselia on it, to support with trick room + lunar dance to send in a sweeper like CB druddigon that has weakened the opposing team before and then come in again to clean up

i would like advice on an OU trick room team other then using reuniclus please :) thank you

(btw my other dark horse, honchkrow will be a late game cleaner with a scarf cause druddigon can weaken what checks scarfkrow, dont know if ill turn him into a trick room sweeper or not, might be a good idea :D)

Pokemon Online Username: Rausty
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet.
Dark Horse Pokemon: OTR Zong
Current Ladder Standing: (11:23:33) *** Your rank in Standard OU is 908/48351 [1183 points / 5 battles]!

i havent tried this in OU yet, butit gets a lot of easy wins in the lower tiers. i was thinking of using a trick room team with cresselia on it, to support with trick room + lunar dance to send in a sweeper like CB druddigon that has weakened the opposing team before and then come in again to clean up

i would like advice on an OU trick room team other then using reuniclus please :) thank you

(btw my other dark horse, honchkrow will be a late game cleaner with a scarf cause druddigon can weaken what checks scarfkrow, dont know if ill turn him into a trick room sweeper or not, might be a good idea :D)
In terms of ou, reuninclus is almost neccesary due to its huge utility and offesnive pressence, while also being able to set it up :P

But besides that, if you can maintain it in such a harsh environment, go for it. Make sure you have hazards and I have found that even going semi-stall with tr helps quite a bit in whittling the opponent down.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In terms of ou, reuninclus is almost neccesary due to its huge utility and offesnive pressence, while also being able to set it up :P

But besides that, if you can maintain it in such a harsh environment, go for it. Make sure you have hazards and I have found that even going semi-stall with tr helps quite a bit in whittling the opponent down.
i already have a reun on my team :D, reun is one of my favorite pokemon

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Online Username: Return of the King
Hall of Fame Standing: None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Nidoking

Pokemon Online Username: KS
Hall of Fame Standing: *sigh*. I wish.....
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Crobat

I have recently been on a massive losing streak, and have decided i was too abitous with 3 dark horse pokemon. So if in the laws of the project i would like to change my dark horse.
PO Name: stif
Hall of fame: none
Pokemon: archeops
Current ladder standing: 1000

Archeops (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Defeatist
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Head Smash
- U-turn

Updated my form.

Gave up on the Whimsicott/Sableye stall team. Either the team or myself are too ineffective at running it while covering every hole this HO-happy Metagame requires filling.

So I updated my team and switched over to hail. I'm currently testing this out in the PO server but I'm liking where the team is going, so I'll probably switch to laddering soon.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
I made it to top 100!...on my main account.

Bulk up Gallade is fine, as he is a team supporter and not the main sweeper. I just need some good pokemon for his to support. This will require some research.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i havent tried this in OU yet, but it gets a lot of easy wins in the lower tiers. i was thinking of using a trick room team with cresselia on it, to support with trick room + lunar dance to send in a sweeper like CB druddigon that has weakened the opposing team before and then come in again to clean up

Marowak is a beastt (could take +2 Chomp DClaw back then). EQ Stone Edge Fire Punch Double-Edge is awesome coverage (Rock Head too!!!) for just about all of OU. CB Druddigon sucks--Outrage gets walled, Fire Fang is so weak like lol, and you cant switch moves. Wak will definitely take out more than Druddigon can.

Also, you may want to only use a partial Trick Room team in that you have a few Pokemon that can revenge kill out of Trick Room. Scarf Terrakion (so common lol) is a great pick, as is Scizor for BP. Just some thoughts go molkkk

After peaking at around 150, I had a large losing streak and ended up at around 800 again :P

What I have learned, though, at least playing with this team style, is that as I progress through the ladder, I must change my strategy and my team to fit the teams of those in the same area of the ladder. (ie. the big influx of annoying sun teams at around 700-100 really screwed me up for a while)

I was still attempting to play at 100-200 as I moved back up into the 300's/400's and it didn't exactly work out.

Another thing that I've come to realize is that as I get lower, there are many more terribly strong defensive cores. That doesn't work too well with my team attempting to get by through momentum and offensive pressure. So I am going to incorporate two wallbreakers: Hydreigon and Loom, although loom was already here, so that I can break apart the troubling pokes before going in for the wear-down.

I'll see how that works out and will update.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I have updated the Registered Users List completely. Please take a look at it. If the link that is posted there doesn't have the information you think you registered with, then we have a problem. Although I think I've made it abundantly clear in the OP, I've added a new rule to clarify registration:

• Please put all changes within your Registration Form. I update based on those forms, not individual posts randomly scattered throughout the topic.

It is still perfectly fine to switch Dark Horse Pokemon or usernames or what have yee. But in order to keep the registered list up to date, I manually click through the Registered Users list and check all Dark Horse Pokemon in Registration Forms. Let me be perfectly clear: multiple posts for registration will not work! Please navigate to your Registration Form, click the friendly "Edit" button, and update your form. Please and thank you; this makes my life infinitely easier.

Changed it, and got some big news. Sorry to disappoint everyone else that raced for first to top 100, but I got it. :p

Pokemon Online Username: 0.exe
Dark Horse Pokemon: Mienshao, Deoxys-D (if I can only choose one for HOF I'd choose Mienshao)
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking:

Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set:

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

This is the team I used for reference:

Mienshao (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Haze

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Haxorus (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Dual Chop
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)