Spelling and Grammar Standards

in the op
The word "item" is never not capitalized.
pretty sure one negative there shouldn't not be removed!

@ sandz, I'm pretty sure 'he' is fine - 'He' is used sort of tongue-in-cheek-ly / jokingly, because arceus is supposed to be the god of pokemon and all that.

also, very sure it's 'forme'; it's that way for all the others and it'd be weird for arceus to be an exception.

could i petition to have this added to the OP?
[*]Don't use "Scarfed/Banded/Specs <Pokemon>", use "Choice <Item> <Pokemon">.

and a question of my own! rapid spinner / spinner / rapid spin user?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yes, sirn is correct on the Arceus stuff

If you see cliche phrases just delete them, or ask the author to give specific examples for the entry hazards thing.

On Zy's choice thing: will add to the OP

And on the -type / typing thing sandz mentioned: when saying a Pokemon's type is possessive use "typing" (eg. Sandshrew's Ground typing), otherwise use -type. It gets more complicated if you use the in-game dialogue, but I'll make it simple and just say if you see the type being used in the possessive, use typing without the hyphen.

EDIT: also note to self:

It's Poké Flute, Pokédex, Pokémon Center, Poké Mart, and Poké Ball.

posting for Engineer Pikachu, who brought up this point on IRC: is the phrase 'setup bait' or 'set-up bait'? I'm personally leaning towards 'setup bait' as being a compound noun, but I can sort of see the case for it being an adjective...

also, Oglemi, does that mean we need the accent on the e?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
setup bait

and for the latter part, when using those Poké words yes you should use the accent on the e. In Pokemon you don't need to because you use it so much in a regular analysis, and we're at a point now to where it's standard that you don't need to, but there are plans for the far future to fix the SCMS bot that put the accent on the e in Pokemon for us, hence why we allow you to write it without it in the first place.

edit: as a side note just so you're aware, I'm working on writing a standardization guide for words used in in-game guides (this will be added as an amendment to the current guide) so that they're standardized, like the Poké words and whether or not Route is always capitalized or not (research still needs to be conducted on the latter) and stuff like that.

Oglemi

Borf
When dealing with dual types, you should write it as the following:

Rock / Ground type or Rock / Ground typing.

Notice the spacing around the slash as well.

Never use a hyphen; so Rock- / Ground-type and Rock / Ground-type are incorrect. (Technically Rock / Ground-type is correct, but it looks bad, and Rock / Ground type just looks more visually pleasing. So, deal with it I suppose.)

EDIT:

Speaking of hyphens:

It's early-game, mid-game, and late-game with the hyphen. Not early game, midgame, or lategame, or any iteration of that.

This is already in the OP, but I figured I'd reiterate again.

EDIT2:

Again on the subject of hyphens:

Never say something has been Swords Danced or Choice Banded. Use Swords Dance-boosted or Choice Band-boosted with the hyphen connecting the boosted. Ex: Charizard's STAB, Solar Power, sun-boosted Fire Blast hits like a truck.

EDIT3:

Finally, we need to decide how we're going to spell subpar:

According to sources on Google, both subpar and sub-par is correct. I like the hyphenated version myself. Is this something we want to standardize or just leave as is?

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OK two things have been bugging me for a while and are way too common:

1) People saying "infamous" when they mean "famous" or even just "good". For example, "the infamous BoltBeam combo" or "Latios's infamous Draco Meteor" or "Raichu's infamous pre-evolution."

Infamous means despicable. There's nothing despicable about having good type coverage. There's nothing despicable about a powerful move. There's definitely nothing despicable about Pikachu. Stop using "infamous" to describe good things. If a strategy is really annoying/evil/"cheap", like Moody Smeargle, or SubParafusion Froslass in Hail, or Wrap in RBY, then maybe you can describe it as infamous, but other than that you shouldn't be using the word.

2) People saying "abuse" when they mean "capitalize on" or just "use". For example, "Cloyster can abuse 125 Base Power Icicle Spear" or "Team support is vital in order to fully abuse specially defensive Heatran" or "Toxicroak is best paired with Politoed to abuse his Dry Skin ability."

To abuse something is to misuse it for a bad purpose. For example, intentionally triggering Acid Rain would be abuse. Using a powerful Pokemon/ability/move in a normal way is never abuse. Pokemon with Thunderbolt and Ice Beam are not "abusing" BoltBeam coverage. Salamence does not "abuse" his high Attack stat. Toxicroak is not "abusing" his Dry Skin ability in rain; he's using it exactly how he should be. This error is extremely common in our analyses right now, but it is an error, plain and simple, and people need to stop making it.

If my fellow GPers could keep an eye out for these things and correct them when you see them, maybe we can kick these bad habits before they get too deeply ingrained.

EDIT: some extra discussion about "abuse" in #grammar
[20:44:49] <@Eraddd> For toxicroak, I can see Toxicroak "abusing" rain, if it's set up by the opponent, and not by yourself
[20:44:55] <@Eraddd> Although arguments can be made for both sides in that context
[20:45:05] <@Eraddd> But yeah, in general, I agree
[20:45:34] <@NixHex> i posted about "abuse" vs "spam" a while back in that thread
[20:45:50] <@NixHex> i basically saw that abuse means taking advantage of the conditions around you
[20:45:54] <@NixHex> i.e. rain
[20:46:04] <@NixHex> and spam is use what you have over and over again
[20:46:12] <@NixHex> at that time i saw them used in the same context all the time
[20:46:31] <@Honko> i agree you can abuse an opponent's rain
[20:46:31] <@NixHex> and yeah, fuck infamous lol
[20:46:40] <@Honko> but if you set it up, you arent abusing it
[20:46:43] <@NixHex> infamous boltbeam
[20:46:46] <@Eraddd> Of course Honko
[20:46:49] <@Eraddd> Although
[20:46:53] <@Eraddd> Speaking from my metagame
[20:46:59] <@Eraddd> Toxicroak is used a lot as a rain counter
[20:47:04] <@Honko> thats true
[20:47:07] <@Eraddd> So
[20:47:12] <@Eraddd> In that case, abuse would be fine
[20:47:14] <@Eraddd> But yeah
[20:47:16] <@Honko> yeah
[20:47:18] <@Eraddd> The usage of the word
[20:47:20] <@Eraddd> Should really be stressed
[20:47:23] <@Eraddd> When we GP

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honko's infamous Mario Kart avatar.

also:
[20:48:21] NixHex also can we stop saying shit like "the pink fish" and "the dinosaur"
[20:48:21] Honko fo sho
[20:48:26] Honko lol
[20:48:28] Eraddd Haha
[20:48:31] NixHex "the lizard"
[20:48:43] NixHex "the bird" you get it
[20:48:47] NixHex it's really stupid.
[20:48:50] NixHex brb dinner
[20:49:00] *** NixHex is now known as Nix|thepinkfish
[20:49:05] Honko at least its better than that "the <Pokedex entry name> Pokemon" fad we had for a while
Yeah, this needs to stop. Pokemon are not animals / objects / people, they are Pokemon. Most of the time it's really uninspired (the bird) and are just filler. We don't need to keep adding excess fluff to our analyses.

Oglemi

Borf
^Would like to make an exception to that if the description is actually kinda humorous, dumb stuff like just saying "the bird" can go though

Finally, we need to decide how we're going to spell subpar:

According to sources on Google, both subpar and sub-par is correct. I like the hyphenated version myself. Is this something we want to standardize or just leave as is?
please standardize this! I personally prefer subpar, but I'd rather see it spelt 'sub-par' consistently than not. make an executive decision Oglemi!

also, just to be clear, it's Speed tie? go after sandz for this if it's not right XD

one more pet peeve of mine: make sure and/or is used correctly in the case of Pokemon x, Pokemon Y, and/or Pokemon Z.
for example, 'a spinner, such as excadrill, starmie, or blastoise', but 'blah blah etc ghost-types, such as ghost arceus, giratina, and idk misdreavus'

^ while we're on that topic, it's giratina, not giratina-a, right? at least that's what the pstats bot in grammar says -__-

also! STABs to refer to 'STAB moves' or 'STAB attack types', acceptable? like 'terrakion has two great STABs in rock and fighting (or stone edge and close combat)'. I've seen it used frequently, but it just occurred to me that it doesn't actually make sense logically, considering what STAB stands for.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It IS Speed tie right???? )<

For the and/or thing, or is used when listing possible things that fill one slot. And is used when it's merely listing examples.

And I prefer STAB moves over STABs too. Fyi according to bulbapedia, STAB stands for same-type attack bonus with the hyphen... But no one spells it out anyway...

And, it's an RU and an NU. Coincidentally that applies to all other tiers except LC and VGC. It's spelt Neverused instead of Never Used and NeverUsed according to the friendly people on #grammar.

Also, can someone familiar with VGC confirm this?

me said:
VGC Terms

• Spread moves = moves that hit both the opponent (eg Rock Slide and Heat Wave)
  • multi-target moves = moves that hit all the Pokemon on the field (eg Surf and Earthquake)
That's what Eraddd said. Can some VGC expert please clarify as well? :x
op said:
Abbreviations
  • Use 2v2 as an abbreviation for the double battle metagame.
  • Use 3v3 as an abbreviation for the triple battle metagame.
I've never seen anyone using those abbreviation over double or triple. Doubles and triples looks better too :/ Problem is, is doubles and triples capitalized? So what is better? 2v2 or double(s)? This is mainly related to VGC and not really a big deal.

Anyway, is there such a term as Wallceus? Just like how there is Extreme Killer?

I have a question:

When referring to two alternative Hidden Power types, do you write it as Hidden Power X / Y or Hidden Power X / Hidden Power Y?

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question:

When referring to two alternative Hidden Power types, do you write it as Hidden Power X / Y or Hidden Power X / Hidden Power Y?
Hidden Power X / Hidden Power Y is correct, as it clears up the analysis and makes sure the reader understands the Hidden Power types

Oglemi

Borf
please standardize this! I personally prefer subpar, but I'd rather see it spelt 'sub-par' consistently than not. make an executive decision Oglemi!

also, just to be clear, it's Speed tie? go after sandz for this if it's not right XD

one more pet peeve of mine: make sure and/or is used correctly in the case of Pokemon x, Pokemon Y, and/or Pokemon Z.
for example, 'a spinner, such as excadrill, starmie, or blastoise', but 'blah blah etc ghost-types, such as ghost arceus, giratina, and idk misdreavus'

^ while we're on that topic, it's giratina, not giratina-a, right? at least that's what the pstats bot in grammar says -__-

also! STABs to refer to 'STAB moves' or 'STAB attack types', acceptable? like 'terrakion has two great STABs in rock and fighting (or stone edge and close combat)'. I've seen it used frequently, but it just occurred to me that it doesn't actually make sense logically, considering what STAB stands for.
K, executive decision: it's sub-par

It is indeed Speed tie, it's talking about the actual Speed stat/number tying, not their agility or quickness tying.

It's Giratina and Giratina-O, Giratina-A does not exist

This goes for Rotom, when talking about the normal forme Rotom, it's just Rotom. When talking about the collective formes together, it's Rotom-A.

STABs is fine, you can say STAB moves, but this doesn't need to be standardized, I'm personally not going to stop saying STABs.

It IS Speed tie right???? )<

For the and/or thing, or is used when listing possible things that fill one slot. And is used when it's merely listing examples.

And I prefer STAB moves over STABs too. Fyi according to bulbapedia, STAB stands for same-type attack bonus with the hyphen... But no one spells it out anyway...

And, it's an RU and an NU. Coincidentally that applies to all other tiers except LC and VGC. It's spelt Neverused instead of Never Used and NeverUsed according to the friendly people on #grammar.

Also, can someone familiar with VGC confirm this?

I've never seen anyone using those abbreviation over double or triple. Doubles and triples looks better too :/ Problem is, is doubles and triples capitalized? So what is better? 2v2 or double(s)? This is mainly related to VGC and not really a big deal.

Anyway, is there such a term as Wallceus? Just like how there is Extreme Killer?
Try avoiding spelling out the tier whenever possible, just use OU/UU/etc. I'm not going to standardize this tbh.

Wallceus does exist

I'm not going to touch the VGC stuff, Eraddd or someone can chime in here.

I have a question:

Hidden Power X / Hidden Power Y is correct, as it clears up the analysis and makes sure the reader understands the Hidden Power types
You can list different Hidden Power types by using the serial comma; "Milotic can use Hidden Power Grass, Electric, and Psychic effectively." This is also something that doesn't need to be standardized.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
After consultation with the king of VGC Huy, we have decided to use doubles over 2v2. Also, do not capitalize the word "doubles."

Should we add "Volt-Turn" to coined terms? It's used in some analyses, I believe. And there's an article on it as well.

Oglemi

Borf
I'd rather we spell it as VoltTurn, like RestTalk, but yeah I can add it to the coined terms list (even though the turn in U-turn isn't capitalized but w/e)

could we standardize whether it's VGC12, VGC 2012, or VGC'12? I personally prefer the last one as it's short and what's on the tab, but I'm alright with something more formal as well.

eta: noted!

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to remind GP members that if they plan on stamping an amateur check, read it over correctly. The biggest problem I see in amateur checks is the adding and deleting of prose. This is not acceptable for amateurs and members alike because it takes away from the flavor offered by the writer, and it's usually already grammatically correct.

Also, a note to authors: you are not obligated to implement an amateur check. Consult with a gp member on #grammar or #C&C if you're not comfortable with the check.

I recently came across someone using the word "outdamage". Is that an accepted term for us, similar to the real word outdo? Or should it be written as "out damage" or "out-damage"?

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, I've been doing work on getting the onsite version up to date, and it should be almost completely up to date with this thread. Just wanted to let you know since that one is sometimes easier to access than this thread!

what should we use when referring to stuff like HGSS tutor moves / egg moves etc? because "4th generation" / "Gen 4" would be non-standard, and "DPP" downright misleading. naming the specific version seems a little too-much-unnecessary-info, though, and takes away from emphasizing the generation incompatibility of the 4th gen move + 5th gen nature

also, standardize LV1 / Lv1 / Lv 1 / Lv. 1 / Level 1 / level 1 (or level 50, same thing) ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)