Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Corkscrew, once you get to Drayden, your lowest-leveled team member must solo him or faint trying. If it does faint, the next team member in line (arranged from lowest to highest level) has to come out. If it faints, the next one comes out, and so on. After Drayden, you may heal at Opelucid Pokémon center for the usual fee, plus 1 more of the highest-valued Pokéball per fainted team member. Are you up for the challenge?
I'm not sure what challenge this is referring to. I'm just going to take it as my 'Post-Bryce' challenge wayyyy in advance.

Jimera0, that's quite a fun challenge, although it rules out all of my current team members as they have all evolved at some point!

ShinySkarmory, I've accepted your challenge aswell.

G-Von, your Pokemon may not attack Roark's Pokemon until they take damage from it. This restriction applies to every individual member of his team (example: Machop could attack Geodude after getting Tackled by it, but it still couldn't attack Onix until it gets hit by it.)

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@G-Von

You cannot use pokemon that are a higher level than Roark's lowest levelled pokemon.
Basically, you cannot use a pokemon above level 12. If it grows to level 13 during the battle, it must switch out.

G-Von, your Pokemon may not attack Roark's Pokemon until they take damage from it. This restriction applies to every individual member of his team (example: Machop could attack Geodude after getting Tackled by it, but it still couldn't attack Onix until it gets hit by it.)
@G-Von

You cannot use pokemon that are a higher level than Roark's lowest levelled pokemon.
Basically, you cannot use a pokemon above level 12. If it grows to level 13 during the battle, it must switch out.
So, not only am I only allowed to use "not very effective" moves, I have to follow these two rules. Well.......I will post tomorrow how terrible of a defeat I had against Roark, thus ending my Gaunt-Locke Challenge! lol. Thank you for the challenges guys.

Fuck it, I am starting my journey tonight. After a shitload of thinking, I choose Turtwig! He has the highest attack and best defenses, therefore, best survivability. I face off against my rival and beat him while all Chimchar did was Leer...whatever.

I begin my search for my first pokemon at Lake Verity! Thankfully, I get a Starly instead of a Bidoof. I name him Bob, after Bob Marley since I was going to call him Marley the Starly, but I liked the idea of Bob more. I go onto Route 201 and get yet another Starly, a female that I named Sheila. I go into Sandgem Town, get shown around and go back home and get a Parcel and go onto Jubilife. I give my rival, who i named Faggle, and he gives me the town map. While onto 202 i sadly ran into a Bidoof and decided to catch him and i named him Dag after the Angry Beaver character.

On the search for more pokemon, i go up to Route 204 where i run into another Bidoof....here is my reaction:

Yea i decided to just kill it. I turn around and heal my pokemon and go onto Route 203 and it turns out i have to battle Faggle. Great, we have a Starly fight and my Quick Attacks prevail, and then i switch in WhoreTerra to keep with the challenge and use Absorb a ton, switch out to avoid dying, heal up while Dag tanked two hits. Absorb kills Chimchar and i get a ton of experience. Here is my team:

WhoreTerra the Careful Turtwig
Level 9 31/17/18/13/18/12
Tackle/Withdraw/Absorb

Bob the Relaxed Starly
Level 8 25/15/9/10/12/14
Tackle/Growl/Quick Attack

Sheila the Hardy Starly
Level 9 27/16/13/12/11/18
Tackle/Growl/Quick Attack/Wing Attack

Dag the Quirky Bidoof
Level 8 29/13/13/11/12/11
Tackle/Growl

From here, I will make my way towards Oreburgh City to my death. Wish me luck!

Jimera - First, accepted. Second, Gastly breaks a lot of things. Third, why no Curse? AI is pretty dumb, so you shouldn't need Mean Look.

Also, I've been seeing a lot of loopholes/easy ways out in some of the challenges. I'm not sure whether to point them out or watch people suffer. I've been doing the latter so far. Clarify?

Jimera - First, accepted. Second, Gastly breaks a lot of things. Third, why no Curse? AI is pretty dumb, so you shouldn't need Mean Look.

Also, I've been seeing a lot of loopholes/easy ways out in some of the challenges. I'm not sure whether to point them out or watch people suffer. I've been doing the latter so far. Clarify?
Loopholes exist. There's no rule regarding them because whether you abuse them or not affects your own challenge and no one elses, so who cares? If you're a challenge giver and you want to limit loopholes then simply think your challenges through more carefully. If not, and the person you're giving them to want to screw the spirit of the challenge then whatever. It's THEIR game experience they're messing with after all.

Hello everyone! I continue on my journey this morning towards my first gym badge. After i beat Faggle, I heal up and go onto Route 203 to see what i run into. Unfortunately, it is another Starly so i just kill it. I then enter the Oreburgh Gate to see what pokemon i can catch. I figured it would be a Zubat or Geodude, but to my surprise it's a Psyduck! I tackled once and it did about 1/3 damage. I use Tackle again and i get a crit and it dies...

JJKNDFBIJBIJEABJAKJ FUCKMYLIFE. Not. Happy. Ugh, anyway I make it to town and the gym leader isn't there so I decide to see what pokemon are on Route 207. I run into a wild Machop! Biddof takes a Low Kick like a boss and i tackled it twice and decide to try to catch it. AND I'M SUCCESSFUL. Yes, I am typing this as it happens. I name him Curls because he can probably curl more than me and i decide to check his nature. He is Modest. I feel this game is trolling me already. Well, he is resistant to Rock and Dark moves, so he will be my poke for Roark's Cranidos. I just have to teach him Return to make him usable. I go into the Oreburgh Mine place south of town and the first pokemon i run into is Geodude. One Low Kick to the nuts and Geodude goes right under half health. I chuck a pokeball and hes caught. I was gonna name him cole, but since he is hardbody i named him Cole Train after the Gears of War character.

After much grinding, I decide to take on the Oreburgh Gym! I go in there and face the first trainer who only has a Geodude. I throw in WhoreTerra and use absorb since it isn't the gym leader and it almost dies while Geodude increases its defense. Since it's in the red health, I figured "let's see how much Tackle does to this level 11 pokemon". The results are in: NOTHING. Yea, I'm gonna have a tough time with this gym leader. I finish off the Geodude and grow to level 11 with the rest of my pokemon, except for Bidoof, who is at level 12.

Here is my game plan: use Leer with Curls 6 times on each pokemon and switch in Cole train to use a resisted STAB Rock Throw. The plan works against Geodude! Roark used a potion on him and I still managed to 2HKO after he healed. He then sends in Cranidos. CRANIDOS KILLED CURLS! =[ crap. I get a Growl off against him with Dag (who I plan on getting rid of anyway) and he dies. Same thing happens to Sheila, but she at least gets a Quick Attack off. This is looking bad. I heal Cole Train when i throw Bob in and Cranidos actually used Leer. I growl for the 3rd time and i survive a Headbutt. I use Quick Attack and then Die. I am down to Cole Train and WhoreTerra and decide to go with COLE TRAIN. He Leers as i go to raise my defense so it gets cancelled out. He Pursuits as I Rock Polish. I begin tackling as he continues to Pursuit me. He scores a crit! Now I am knocked down to 7 HP and use a Potion. He did the same thing -__- I have no idea how I am going to face Onix. Another Leer/Defense curl turn occurs. I miss click and use Rock Throw. It does a shitload more than Tackle. I hate this Challenge. I use a potion at 12 HP, get up to Full HP, get critted down to 13 HP. I spam tackle and kill it with 1 HP. FML. Now he has Onix. I bring in WhoreTerra and try to think of a plan. I wish I could use Absorb, ugh. I decide to heal Cole Train and Onix missed his Rock Throw. YES. He hits his next one for 9 HP as I go for the Withdraw. The next Rock Throw only does 4 HP but I am sure my Tackle only did 1. I score a crit on one of my Tackles and it looks no different. I only have 2 potions left and 1 super potion at this point and need to keep WhoreTerra alive in to win this match because if Cole Train gets anymore experience, he is going to the death box with everyone else. FUCKING CRITS ME AGAIN AS I HEAL. Once again, brings me down to 13 HP. It must be a sign. Use my last potion. Now i will use the X defend and Attack items i found on WhoreTerra. There is no change in damage on either end. Onix now trolls me with 5 HP and uses Screech. I think it ran out of Rock Throws so all it can do is Screech or Stealth Rock. Now it used Stealth Rock...can it be the end? I DID IT. I FUCKING BEAT HIM. YES. HOLY CRAP. HOW?! I cannot believe I just stalled out Onix. Roark must have only had 1 potion to use. His first words "This is embarrassing..." is no understatement. The highest leveled pokemon I used in that battle were Cole Train, Dag, and WhoreTerra. Since I did not want him anyway, I am sending Dag to the death box even though he was destined for that anyway (LOOPHOLES FTW). Now Here is my current team:

WhoreTerra the Careful Turtwig
Level 12 39/21/22/16/23/14
Tackle/Withdraw/Absorb

Cole Train the Gentle Geodude
Level 12 34/25/28/14/16/12

Now i need 2 challenges for the next gym. Here is my original post if you need to check it out. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4332983&postcount=105

Just letting you all no I've updated up to Whitney now, and my word, what a crazy battle that was. I won't spoil it for you but man...

Link in my signature as always.

@G-Von, well done man! That is quite the acheivement there. I'll give you something for your next gym if no one else beats me to it, give me a minute.

EDIT: You are challenged to use no Grass types against Gardenia. Normally this wouldn't be hardcore but combined with your other challenges... well I just took away your only resist and probably your only chance of getting past her :P

G-Von, you deserve an award, shame I'll be giving you another challenge...

You must switch Pokemon once every 3 turns when fighting Mars.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. Withdrawing reservation.

Just letting you all no I've updated up to Whitney now, and my word, what a crazy battle that was. I won't spoil it for you but man...

Link in my signature as always.

@G-Von, well done man! That is quite the acheivement there. I'll give you something for your next gym if no one else beats me to it, give me a minute.

EDIT: You are challenged to use no Grass types against Gardenia. Normally this wouldn't be hardcore but combined with your other challenges... well I just took away your only resist and probably your only chance of getting past her :P
You are evil, but this is what I did ask for. So I appreciate the challenge.

G-Von, you deserve an award, shame I'll be giving you another challenge...

You must switch Pokemon once every 3 turns when fighting Mars.
I cannot accept your challenge since it isn't against a gym leader or the Elite Four/Champion. You can name a gym leader you want me to do this challenge against if you want.

Hmm, I think I'll do one. It'll be on Silver. No trades, medium difficulty, and I'd like one for every gym leader, though I'm not sure if I wanna include Kanto in that. So for right now just Johto ones.

Wow. G-Von, I'm actually shocked that you managed to do that.
I think Roark knew about the Gaunt-Locke Challenge because he could have easily just used a potion and forced me to Struggle and kill myself. Fuckin TrollFreak and their devilish ways.

EDIT: Too Funk To Druck, first off I love the name. Secondly, if a pokemon is statused, including confused, you can only heal it if it is under 50% health (in the orange). For confusion you can simply switch out whenever though to cure it.

EDIT2: If you are out of battle you can just go to the Pokecenter. This is more towards using items, for example, if you get burned during a gym match. You have to wait for your health to get below half to heal him during the battle with an item. So if you are walking around poisoned and you have no Antidotes, well that pokemon is gonna faint.

Double Post sorry: But guys, seriously, I need challenges for my Gaumble-Locke. I need 11 extreme scramblle Pokemon challenges and 6 more Gauntlet Challenges. And feel free to give me both a Gauntlet and a Scramble Challenge. I just really want to get this started.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DEMo- you can't use the same item on your pokemon more than once in each battle. That means only one potion, one super potion, one full restore, etc (not held items) This will probably save you a lot of money lol

Everyone, thank you for your support. I know I thought it was impossible to come out alive from the first gym battle so I am happy i made it this far. I actually came out with a lot less than I previously thought. By that I mean I have to sacrifice one of my two pokemon because of my 4 plague counters. Since I will probably run into one sometime soon, I will be sacrificing Cole Train the Gentle Geodude =/ thanks a ton Reptile!

I hope someone remembers me from the Scramble Challange, I was pretty active there a while ago. But no longer :(
Well I am definitely intrigued by this, and unlike the Scrambles I did I might actually be bothered to finish it because I now have an emulator with speed up. Woo!
So I'd like a Gauntlet Challenge for Fire Red, medium difficulty. I'd like 8 challenges, whether they be game-long restrictions, special gym solos, or something else entirely. Just be creative! Also, just in case it wasn't clear, I'd like all the restrictions now rather than later- I won't take any while I'm mid-way through the game.
I won't make updates though, or at least not well-written and witty ones. I may occasionally pop in to mention my team and where I'm up to, but nothing much beyond that.
Anyway, I've rambled enough. Fire away!

Accepted challenges:
-Solo every gym with a different pokemon (Jimera0)
-Dual-type Pokemon can only use attacking moves of one type, and that type is one of its STABs, and is determined by a coin flip. (King Serperior)
-May only use each pokecenter once, except for PP healing. (Pippy)
-No TMs or HMs in battle. (Naix)
-In the battle against Lorelei, must switch out every third turn. If a pokemon is switched out at the wrong time or if a pokemon doesn't participate in the battle, it loses 2 moveslots. (Yarnus of Bethany)
-Get the first 8 words of favourite song with at least 3 letters, this is the number of STAB/Super effective moves that must be used against the corresponding gym leader. (I got 6/4/5/4/5/4/3)(Ziposaki)
-Must solo the rival's starter with starter every time he is battled. Also must solo a number of other pokemon on his team equal to No. of badges / 2, rounded down. (Smaug)

@Professor Science

Heyah, I remembers you :P I've been a bit neglectful of the scramble thread lately myself, so much stuff going on. Anyway, glad you decided to grace my new topic. As thanks, I will provide you with your first challenge.

Professor Science, you are challenged to use a different Pokemon to solo each gym. So this means you need to train a minimum of 8 Pokemon at some point during your adventure (that's nothing btw, on my first LG run I had at least 10 main party members I rotated between).

Good luck! I know from my own gauntlet that this isn't quite as easy as it sounds...

I hope someone remembers me from the Scramble Challange, I was pretty active there a while ago. But no longer :(
Well I am definitely intrigued by this, and unlike the Scrambles I did I might actually be bothered to finish it because I now have an emulator with speed up. Woo!
So I'd like a Gauntlet Challenge for Fire Red, medium difficulty. I'd like 8 challenges, whether they be game-long restrictions, special gym solos, or something else entirely. Just be creative! Also, just in case it wasn't clear, I'd like all the restrictions now rather than later- I won't take any while I'm mid-way through the game.
I won't make updates though, or at least not well-written and witty ones. I may occasionally pop in to mention my team and where I'm up to, but nothing much beyond that.
Anyway, I've rambled enough. Fire away!

Accepted challenges:
-Solo every gym with a different pokemon (Jimera0)
Every time that you catch a Dual-Type pokemon, flip a coin. If Heads, it can only use offensive moves of its Primary type. If Tails, it can only use offensive moves of its Secondary type.

For Example: Pidgey is a Normal/Flying type. You flipped your coin the moment that you caught it. It lands on heads. Now you can only use Normal damaging moves. You can give it Fly if you want, but it can use it in battle.

Note: This rule is permanant for all pokemon that you capture at that level. For this example, we will go with the above example: All Pidgey that you capture will only be able to use Normal Moves. If you happen to come across a Pidgeotto, then you can flip the coin again. If it lands on Flying, then all Pidgeotto that you capture must learn Flying moves.

Remember that I said capture. If your Pidgey from Example One becomes a Pidgeotto after you captured a Pidgeotto from Example Two, then you must use only Normal moves from the Pidgey Example. This means that, depending on where your Pidgeot came from will decide its offensive capabilities. If it was from Pidgey, then only Normal moves, but if you caught it as the Pidgeotto, then only Flying moves.

Now, what about pokemon like Butterfree that are Dual-Typed but evolve from Single-Typed pokemon? In this case, younare allowed to choose the Type that it draws all its offensive moves from.

Singular-Typed pokemon are unaffected by this rule. If you need more clarification, please ask. Remember that non-damaging moves are unaffected by this challenge. If your Fearow is stuck with Flying, then you can still use Leer as it deals no damage.

Good Luck :D

Well KS that just made it a lot harder. That means that most pokemon will have only one offensive move. Definitely difficult, but not impossible. Just for clarification- what if a pokemon doesn't have access to any moves of the specified type? For example, when Metapod evolved into Butterfree it only has access to Tackle and Confusion as offensive moves.
Anyway, this is accepted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)