The Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
that's a hardcore dragmag team :0 It's interesting that you don't have Salamence / DDNit, though!
I decided against Salamence because I usually end up needing mamoswine to do its job early game, and didn't want to risk a speed tie with opposing Scarf moxiemences, so I used Garchomp instead. I'm generally just unimpressed with Dragonite right now. Kyurem-B, on the other hand, does a whole lot of work and gives both rain and sun hell.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: huehuehuehue
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: BIG LANDO-T
Hall of Fame Standing: na
Current Ladder Standing: nah

lgi
another alt change, sorry! was testing out a weird set and it didn't really work, so now testing a slightly less weird one and it's doing quite well

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Pokemon Showdown! Username: toshiistesting
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Heracross
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: brainstorming team/sets (may use 6 mons, but will for sure use Hera)

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Alright, time to break the community contributor in under 100 posts :d Figure it might as well be on something fun :)

Pokemon Showdown username: Hax LGI
Standing: 1000
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze (Landorus-T)
Dark Horse: Uxie

LGI

EDIT: Done

This run through made me sad, 2 off silver then the Hax which made me chose the alt reered its head, dropped 4 straight to crits/misses. Was a sad day. Still, finished in just over 2 hrs, my slowest yet :( Good fun as always :)

The Set

Uxie @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Light Screen
- Reflect

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?

Well this was my second run through this month, and I didn't really feel like using Landorus-T again so I had to pick something different. My old team for last months DHP looked appealing, although Terrakion was on the team so I couldn't use that team. However that did allow me to get thinking again on how to make a new team that could be supported by Uxie, so I did, and here we are again.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?

I used a team very similar to my last DHP team, however Terrakion was obviously changed out. Thankfully he did not play that much of an integral role on the team, so the transition was quite easy. For more on that find my discussion from last month :3

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?

Again probably something that can be found in my previous discussion response. I still don't know why more people don't use Uxie, granted it my be overlooked in the fast as fuck, highly powered meta, but its still as good as any utilitymon.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

Winning. My team wins, simple as that, so it didn't take all that long. Sadly it did take me over 2 hours to achieve my peak, 2:14 to be exact, but I guess I nearly made silver, rather than just mid bronze, so I have to be happy with that :d Once again, wasn't really difficult at all. Hax happens, but you just push through it and grind it out. With a team like mine that isn't too difficult.

Okay so after a lot (and I mean a lot) of Sleep Powder misses by Lilligant; I decided to drop it. Not worth the loss of hair, even if Liligant is an amazing pokémon.

Started another run with SANDSLASH MAH BOI and got it to 1783 in around 2 hours, so I'll keep going on that.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: ClubbingSealCub (It had a fresh rating this afternoon 'cuz I hadn't used this one in a long time)
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: EXCADRILL LITE MAH BOI
Hall of Fame Standing: na
Current Ladder Standing: 1813 ACRE / 1954 +- 100 Glicko2

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Because I ran out of ideas to justify using regular Kyurem instead of Kyurem-B, starting this again.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: 343I sucks
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Xatu and Lando-T
Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
Current Ladder Standing:

Sets used:
Boss from Mexico (Xatu) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Spd / 192 Def
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 200 HP / 144 Def / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Speed is because I found getting killed by Tentacruel bad, so I decided to speed creep it.

Too lazy to the answer the questions so making this short: I used these guys because they looked like decent partners for Kyurem-B, taking care of his biggest fears, give it really appreciated hazard support, and the most important reason, a safe switch in.

I forgot that Landorus-T was also a Dark Horse, so I forgot to register it, but I used it every single game.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Changing up my Dark Horse Pokemon to Umbreon.

Nick : the pdc cancel
Ranking : zero

Pokemon Showdown! Username: /V/riska
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Dusknoir
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a

>implying this will be easy for someone of my lacking calibre
>implying this will not enrage PKGaming

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Usage Level
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Tangrowth, Sandslash
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1604 (Current), 1613 (Suspect)

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
So sad I have to give up again this project. Real life is not being kind with me, I'm very busy and build / test / ladder with a new team takes quite a bit of time, at least to me. I don't want to run my old team again just to complete this challenge, since it's already seen and won't spark new ideas; however I'd like to let a feedback on the poke I was trying to use anyway:

Togekiss @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
Calm | 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Body Slam
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Roost

This thing, coupled with a Magic Bounce user, makes a very valuable defensive pivot that can spread paralysis at will (except on Ghosts). Tornadus-T's Life Orb Hurricane deals 45% average, and, unlike SpD Rotom-W, Togekiss resists U-Turn and has reliable recovery. Choice Scarf Genesect is unable to 2HKO it (and may even fail to 3HKO it) without a SpA boost; LO versions are indeed more dangerous, but they are completely screwed by Body Slam anyway, so they won't stay in so easily. Its Flying type, also, avoid Arena Trap, which is good since we all know how commong Torn-T + Dugtrio (or Genesect) are. In addition, it does have an usable Defense and awesome Special Attack stats, so it's harder to set up on than, say, Blissey, and can actually dish out some real damage with Air Slash, abusing its paralysis (and synergizing (does this word even exist?) with other paralysis inducers into your team) Heal Bell is just the icing on the cake, making Togekiss harder to stall and providing huge team support. Of course, without a Magic Bounce user it's a pain to play around SR, since with 25% damage almost all the 3HKOs are 2HKOs, and Togekiss's speed is not really good. However, with the proper team support, this thing can be valuable even in today's meta, infested by powerful, fast attackers; pokes like Garchomp, Sub Terrakion and things like that LOVE paralysis, since they can completely wreck a team after a turn of set up, and they can fish for it thanks to Substitute. Even CB sets, or other things that are only stopped by so-so speed, can take advantage from this set.

Good luck to everyone and to this awesome project; hopefully the next time I'll be a little less busy and can contribute better.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: ComeGetSome
Hall of Fame Standing: Got Bronze last time with Walrein.
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Abomasnow, Walrein, Zapdos
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: N/A

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Let It Snow!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Abomasnow, Mienshao
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1540

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Kristen Stewart
Hall of Fame Standing: 1000
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Smeargle
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000
Full Set:
Sgyhu (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Tail Glow
- Baton Pass

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I'm glad I discovered this - it'll be interesting to see where it goes. I've been using three Dark Horses on this sun team for the duration of BW2, but the new "OU Current" being distinct from OU gives me a chance to join in.

PS username: dwarfstar
Hall of Fame standing: N/A
Dark Horses: Landorus-T, Lilligant, Kingdra
Current ladder standing: 1560

Zeke (Landorus-T) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpA
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Spe, 31 others
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-U-turn
-Hidden Power [Ice]

Sekot (Lilligant) @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 60 Def, 196 Spe, 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs:31 HP, 31 Atk, 30 Def, 30 Spe, 31 SpA, 30 SpD
-Leaf Storm
-Healing Wish
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power [Rock]

Krisse (Kingdra) @ Life Orb (might change to Lum Berry)
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 116 Atk, 232 Spe, 160 SpA
Lonely Nature
IVs: 31 HP, 31 Atk, 30 Def, 30 Spe, 30 SpA, 31 SpD
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Waterfall
-Hidden Power [Fire]

Pokemon Showdown! Username: I Won't Win
Hall of Fame Standing: Nope
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Rotom-Fan
Current Ladder Standing: None

Pokemon Showdown! Username: GnuGnu7
Hall of Fame Standing: None as of yet!
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Shaymin, Cresselia
Current Ladder Standing: 1761

Been having success with these 2 pokemon lately so i shall start a new account and see how far i can get with these dark horses.
Sorry, alt change. Lost a lot of games so i changed up my team a bit and started a new alt.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Motherfather
Hall of Fame Standing: Soon to be Grandmaster (loljk, none)
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Smeargle
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1000
Full Set:
Changed name after losing a series of matches... :P

Changing the username from ComeGetSome when I realized that I cheated because I already signed up with this alt for the DoT project - new alt is KCChief, same pokes (aboma, walrein, zapdos)

Honestly, Medhicham just plain sucks, I thought its huge attack could make it usable in ou but...don't even bother with it is my advice! Going to edit my op shortly with a new dark horse.

No one used Volbeat yet? Im suprised
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Volbeat>Jumpluff
Dark Horse Pokemon: Volbeat, Yanmega
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking: None yet lol
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set: Its subject to change so i will not post

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
So, Kingdra seems to have the role of "kill one thing and immediately die a horrible death". I originally picked her up because of her anti-rain potential (and the thought of the look on an opponent's face when he saw a Ferrothorn go down to Kingdra, of all things), but she actually seems to die faster against rain than other team types. I'm considering dropping her, honestly - do you have suggestions for a better Dragon, or should I keep going with Kingdra a little longer? (The remaining three team members are Ninetales, Heatran, and Starmie, if that helps.)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The biggest problem for Kingdra is being Ferrothorn bait. Make sure your team has a safe switch-in for Ferro lest you want to suffer a slow spiky death D:

I guess you can give Kingdra HP Fire to effectively lure and kill Ferro, but it's not even a guaranteed 3HKO in the rain.

Outside of Ferrothorn, it's a solid mon. I've been using a slightly gimmicky set with DD - Outrage - Hydro Pump - Draco Meteor @ Dragon Fang with decent results. Max SpA, enough Speed to be faster than Jolly Breloom, rest in Attack; Mild / Rash Nature. Lure in physical walls that tries to stop DD Kingdra, only to punish them with Hydro Pump & Draco Meteor. People think that Kingdra is forced to switch out after the special drop from Draco Meteor, only to meet with a DD-boosted Outrage >:D. You can try Surf @ LO for a more accurate Water STAB and for a bit more bite on its Outrage and Draco Meteor than DFang's 20% boost.

Other than the above set, you can't go wrong with Max SpA / Max Spe Timid LO Special Rain Dance Kingdra - Rain Dance / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Draco Meteor. You should have no problem being revenge-killed thanks to Swift Swim :)

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
My Kingdra actually does have HP-Fire lol. She's EV'd to outspeed max Speed Timid Jolteon at +1 and OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale with Outrage unboosted (with Life Orb factored in), with the rest put in SpA to give Hidden Power a little more bite. I'm wary of switching to an all-special set because the only other physical attacker on my team is Landorus-T, and if he and Starmie are dead, then Blissey is a colossal pain (my Sleep Powders usually miss, and when they do hit, the opponent wakes up the turn after I switch in the next Pokemon). Ferrothorn isn't much of a problem as long as the weather isn't rain, since Ninetales and Heatran can both OHKO with Fire Blast even in neutral weather.
I like that weird Dragon Dance set of yours - in general, I like weird sets - but the other one is a complete non-starter for me, since this is a sun team.
Thanks for the feedback!

No one used Volbeat yet? Im suprised
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Volbeat>Jumpluff
Dark Horse Pokemon: Volbeat, Yanmega
Screenshot of Top 100 Ladder Ranking: None yet lol
Dark Horse Pokemon Complete Set: Its subject to change so i will not post
Restarted as i joined 4 matches in a row where i lost since my internet DC'd and i lost to inactivity. Ill try again sooner or later once i get a better connection.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Theburgerking100
Hall of Fame Standing: none
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: PorygonZ
Current Ladder Standing: None

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)