Skarmory【Custap Lead】【QC: 3/3】【GP: 2/2】

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[BOX]Things to do:
  • Flesh out the skeleton [ ] Not needed~
  • Get QC approvals for skeleton []
  • Write up Skarmory []
  • get QC approval for prose []
  • Get GP checks for (hopefully) approved prose []
  • Upload this [ ]
[/BOX]

[BOX]--------------------------------
QC Approvals: [ginganinja] || [shrang] || [BKC]
GP Checks: [Woodchuck] || [GatoDelFuego]
--------------------------------[/BOX]

I'm surprised nobody's posted this yet.

[SET]
name: Custap Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Spikes
move 3: Brave Bird
move 4: Taunt
item: Custap Berry
ability: Sturdy
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The banning of Deoxys-D brought a dearth of effective leads that can set Stealth Rock and Spikes quickly and reliably. Enter Custap Lead Skarmory: the second-fastest Pokemon allowed in OU that gets access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes, bested only by Smeargle. With a maximum Speed of 262, Skarmory can outrun many common leads, and even without much investment in Defense Skarmory still has respectable physical bulk, allowing it to comfortably tank physical blows as it sets entry hazards up. Even if the opponent should happen to lead with a specially-based Pokemon, the combination of Sturdy and Custap Berry nearly guarantees that Skarmory will get Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes up. This combination of traits are also its main draw for use as an entry hazard-setting lead over the slightly faster Smeargle, which has to rely on Focus Sash to take a hit, robbing it of the benefits brought about by Custap Berry.</p>

<p>This Skarmory works similarly to Deoxys-D and other suicide leads: it aims to set up Stealth Rock and as many layers of Spikes as possible before fainting. The other two moves help Skarmory's situation versus opposing leads. Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being complete Taunt bait while acting as a means by which Skarmory can KO itself from 1 HP so an opposing spinner can't spin away Skarmory's entry hazards. Taunt stops slower leads from setting up entry hazards while giving Skarmory a 50% chance of preventing any opposing Breloom from using Spore on it due to a Speed tie.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs and nature maximize Skarmory's Speed and the power of Brave Bird, with the last four EVs placed in Defense. However, if Whirlwind is used over Brave Bird, then the Attack EVs can be moved to HP, bolstering Skarmory's overall bulk. The option of minimizing Skarmory's HP, Defense, and Special Defense IVs is available if one wants to activate Skarmory's Custap Berry more quickly, but keep in mind that this is not advised as even resisted special attacks, such as Alakazam's Psychic, would then 2HKO Skarmory without activating the Custap Berry.</p>

<p>Whirlwind is a mostly inferior option that can be used to phaze out setup sweepers, but Brave Bird and Taunt tend to cover what Whirlwind would be useful for. Tailwind can be used when Skarmory is about to faint to speed up its teammates for four turns. Endure can also be used over Brave Bird, as Skarmory isn't always guaranteed to be knocked into Custap Berry's activation range. While it may seem contrary to use any other item on a set named "Custap Lead," Mental Herb can be used over Custap Berry to negate one use of Taunt, allowing Skarmory to set up entry hazards without worry for a couple of turns.</p>

<p>Problem Pokemon for Skarmory include the two Magic Bouncers, which render Skarmory useless, the five spinners in OU, which can easily negate Skarmory's work, and opposing lead Terrakion and Sableye, both of which can Taunt Skarmory before it can retaliate. Pokemon with Trick are also a problem as they rob Skarmory of its valuable Custap Berry. While practically any offensive Pokemon can work with Skarmory, those that can eliminate the aforementioned Pokemon make for especially great teammates. Gengar in particular is a highly recommended teammate as it is the most offensive spinblocker available. Alternatively, trappers such as Choice Band Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Choice Scarf Gothitelle can be run to trap and kill the spinners directly.</p>

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[qc]1/3[/qc]

This set looks good and in its current form I have no issues.

I think Lavos Spawn enjoyed using Drill Peak (he can correct me if I am wrong) so bear that in mind I guess.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There should be an AC mention of minimizing bulk (as in moving the HP EVs to Atk and making your HP, Def, and SpD IVs 0) to make it so Custap activates more easily; usually if you're going with Brave Bird over Whirlwind, but not necessarily.

Also mention Gengar as the ~mandatory teammate; no such thing as offensive Jellicent.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick re: to everyone. Thanks for the QC approvals. kokoloko, I've added those statements in, and I only mentioned offensive Jelli since it's worked for me quite well in the past. Either way, offensive Jelli is out of the picture.

Just make the main spread have max Atk with Brave Bird getting its own moveslot and relegating Whirlwind to AC. The reason for this is that Taunt and Whirlwind both serve the same purpose in not allowing the opponent to set up; however, unlike Whirlwind, Taunt prevents slower hazard setters from doing anything to you, and you still outspeed one of the most common Dragon Dancers in Adamant Dragonite. Brave Bird's utility in nailing Starmie and suiciding while doing it, getting Skarmory IN Custap Range, hitting a Latios, -1 Terrakion, Keldeo, etc. later in the game, and having a STAB to nail Breloom are just a few reasons why Brave Bird is just so useful. Please make these changes before writing this up, thank you.

How about an AC mention of Tailwind? It can mimic Tornadus by using a priority Tailwind to help otherwise slow teammates get the early upper hand during a match if the user finds its more advantageous to get a speedy teammate in than a layer of spikes.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
Quick re: to Princess Bri and ThePillsburyDoughBoy.

@EV and moveset changes: Can and will do. Thanks for bringing those to light.

@AC mention of Tailwind: Nobody seems to disagree, so I'll add it in.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
AC Endure, you can't expect Skarmory to slways be put in Custap range.

edit: over BB ofc, Endure + Taunt has good synergy

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Gengar in particular is a mandatory teammate since it is the most offensive spinblocker available
tbh I'd change 'mandatory' to 'recommended'. This set works fine with jelli / sableye / maybe even cofag. You could probably even get away without a ghost if your team is offensive enough to not allow the opponent to spin since skarm can 'block' the first spin by Brave Bird KOing itself. Then send something in that immediately threatens the spinner and you're fine as long as you maintain pressure.

So yeah, imo emphasise that gengar is the best but I'd point out you don't have to use it. You can even run stuff like Scarf Goth / CB dug / magnezone and just trap the spinners after you brave bird KO yourself, then you don't have to worry about spinblocking.

tehy

Banned deucer.
So i thought I would post some quick comments;this write-up is mostly error-free anyhow.

Edit: O hai, you did post that (But put the title in first.) Fair enough, that was my fault for hovering over this like a vulture, hungry for words.
Comments in hide tag below.

Comments:
Until Now? none of the stuff used to make Custap Skarm is new, so this is kind of misleading, it sounds like something new was just released. I get that now it was 'created' and all but still.
Technically, Skarmory is the second-fastest pokemon in OU with those moves, not Custap Lead Skarm. Since you already explain how it works and works with Custap Berry, it's unnecessary to call it that as well.
Even with Custap Sturdy, nothing is guaranteed for Skarm, as you yourself note later. Maybe say 'almost guaranteed' or the like, since you can still use Magic Bounce, do 60%, weak attack+strong attack, taunt, strong attack+priority, or even spin (Technically, spinning means nothing to your argument, but in a larger sense it does.) Also, fun mention to Scizowash-Volt Switch+Bullet Punch stops you cold, because Custap won't actually let you outspeed a +1 attack. Just any +0 attack.
The seppuku sentence is both a little long and has the word seppuku in it. I'd look it over, at the least. It also doesn't fully explain that you can Custap suicide at 1 hp (or maybe more, depending on how hard you hit.)
Not all Looms are jolly, so maybe say 'jolly breloom'?
'Upon Skarmory's death knell' tailwind sentence can be written a little better. Although I like the idea of using that phrase.
'Skarmory isn't always guaranteed to be knocked down into custap range' is a tad bad. But, only a tad.
Contrary as in like a contrary person who just does the opposite of what he's told, or contrary to the set's purpose? I ask this seriously because it really could be either, but I'm pretty sure it's the second in which case that could be written a little better. Also, Mental Herb only blocks taunt for one turn and they still have it, so that only really gives skarm 1 turn, generally speaking.
The two and The five can both be scrapped, only a tad unnecessary though.
Trick can also lock Skarmory into Stealth Rock;if you use Spikes instead for 2 layers, you miss out on Stealth Rock. Still, if they come in and trick you on the second turn, they don't really hurt skarmory. Since it would have had 2 free turns no matter what, one Sturdy turn and one Custap turn. Now it has a Tricked turn and a Sturdy turn. If it's a scarf it may outspeed and get 3 layers. Of course it's infinite setup bait, although to be fair it mildly is already, albeit only for 1 turn.
You say any pokemon that can eliminate those is a great teammate;i'd add in a mention that any spinblocker is also great and even near-required, then say 'but gengar is the best, being the most offensive spinblocker', like you already do.
You know, Magic Bouncers don't just render Skarm useless, they turn it into a liability. (Warning: big ball of logic here) Let's say the opponent leads with something else and then goes to Espeon (Xatu has you no matter what, probably). I might predict the switch-in with my defensive skarm, but this is a suicide lead that absolutely positively needs 100% of its life to really function. My skarm can come back in later and do its job, this one not so much. So you're put in a high-stakes 50/50, which probably results much more often in hazards being reflected.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The banning of Deoxys-D brought a dearth of effective leads that can set Stealth Rock and Spikes quickly and reliably until now. Enter Custap Lead Skarmory: the second-fastest Pokemon allowed in OU that gets access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes, bested only by Smeargle. With a max sSpeed of 262, Skarmory can outrun many common leads, and even without much investment in Defense, Skarmory still has respectable physical bulk, allowing it to comfortably tank physical blows as it sets hazards up. Even if the opponent should happen to lead with a specially-based Pokemon, the combination of Sturdy and Custap Berry guarantees that Skarmory will get Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes up. This combination of traits are also its main draw for use as a hazard-setting lead over the slightly faster Smeargle, whoich has to rely on Focus Sash to take a hit, robbing it of the benefits brought about by Custap Berry.</p>

<p>This Skarmory works similarly to Deoxys-D and other suicide leads: it aims to set up Stealth Rock and as many layers of Spikes as possible before fainting. The other two moves help Skarmory's situation versus opposing leads. Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being complete Taunt bait while acting as a means by which Skarmory can commKO it seppukulf from 1 HP so an opposing spinner can't spin away Skarmory's entry hazards. Taunt stops slower leads from setting up entry hazards while giving Skarmory a 50% chance of preventing any opposing Breloom from using Spore on it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs and nature maximize Skarmory's speed and the power behindof Brave Bird with the last four EVs placed in Defense. However, if Whirlwind is used over Brave Bird or Taunt, then the Attack EVs can be moved to HP, bolstering Skarmory's overall bulk. The option of minimizing Skarmory's HP, Defense, and Special Defense IVs is available if one wants to activate Skarmory's Custap Berry more quickly, but keep in mind that this is not advised as even resisted Special Attacks, such as Alakazam's Psychic, can nowwould then 2HKO Skarmory without activating the Custap Berry.</p>

<p>Whirlwind is a mostly inferior option that can be used to phaze out set-up sweepers, but Brave Bird and Taunt tend to cover what Whirlwind usually coverswould be useful for. Tailwind can be used upowhen Skarmory's death knell is about to faint to speed up its teammates for four turns. Endure can also be used over Brave Bird, since Skarmory isn't always guaranteed to be knocked into Custap Berry's activation range. While it may seem contrary to use any other item on a set named Custap Lead, Mental Herb can be used over Custap Berry to negate one use of Taunt, allowing Skarmory to set up hazards without worry for a couple of turns.</p>

<p>Problem Pokemon for Skarmory include the two Magic Bouncers, which render Skarmory useless, the five spinners in OU, which can easily negate Skarmory's work, and opposing Lead Terrakion and Sableye, both of which can Taunt Skarmory before it can retaliate. Pokemon with Trick are also a problem since they rob Skarmory of its valuable Custap Berry, which does so much for it. While practically any offensive Pokemon can work with Skarmory, those that can eliminate the aforementioned Pokemon make for especially great teammates. Gengar in particular is a highly recommended teammate since it is the most offensive spinblocker available, which helps since Skarmory cannot force any relevant spinner out. Alternatively, trappers such as Choice Band Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Scarf Gothitelle can be run to trap and kill the spinners directly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The banning of Deoxys-D brought a dearth of effective leads that can set Stealth Rock and Spikes quickly and reliably. Enter Custap Lead Skarmory: the second-fastest Pokemon allowed in OU that gets access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes, bested only by Smeargle. With a max Speed of 262, Skarmory can outrun many common leads, and even without much investment in Defense, Skarmory still has respectable physical bulk, allowing it to comfortably tank physical blows as it sets hazards up. Even if the opponent should happen to lead with a specially-based Pokemon, the combination of Sturdy and Custap Berry guarantees that Skarmory will get Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes up. This combination of traits are also its main draw for use as a hazard-setting lead over the slightly faster Smeargle, which has to rely on Focus Sash to take a hit, robbing it of the benefits brought about by Custap Berry.</p>

<p>This Skarmory works similarly to Deoxys-D and other suicide leads: it aims to set up Stealth Rock and as many layers of Spikes as possible before fainting. The other two moves help Skarmory's situation versus opposing leads. Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being complete Taunt bait while acting as a means by which Skarmory can KO itself from 1 HP so an opposing spinner can't spin away Skarmory's entry hazards. Taunt stops slower leads from setting up entry hazards while giving Skarmory a 50% chance of preventing any opposing Breloom from using Spore on it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs and nature maximize Skarmory's speed and the power of Brave Bird with the last four EVs placed in Defense. However, if Whirlwind is used over Brave Bird, then the Attack EVs can be moved to HP, bolstering Skarmory's overall bulk. The option of minimizing Skarmory's HP, Defense, and Special Defense IVs is available if one wants to activate Skarmory's Custap Berry more quickly, but keep in mind that this is not advised as even resisted Special Attacks, such as Alakazam's Psychic, would then 2HKO Skarmory without activating the Custap Berry.</p>

<p>Whirlwind is a mostly inferior option that can be used to phaze out setup sweepers, but Brave Bird and Taunt tend to cover what Whirlwind would be useful for. Tailwind can be used when Skarmory is about to faint to speed up its teammates for four turns. Endure can also be used over Brave Bird, since Skarmory isn't always guaranteed to be knocked into Custap Berry's activation range. While it may seem contrary to use any other item on a set named Custap Lead, Mental Herb can be used over Custap Berry to negate one use of Taunt, allowing Skarmory to set up hazards without worry for a couple of turns.</p>

<p>Problem Pokemon for Skarmory include the two Magic Bouncers, which render Skarmory useless, the five spinners in OU, which can easily negate Skarmory's work, and opposing Lead Terrakion and Sableye, both of which can Taunt Skarmory before it can retaliate. Pokemon with Trick are also a problem since they rob Skarmory of its valuable Custap Berry. While practically any offensive Pokemon can work with Skarmory, those that can eliminate the aforementioned Pokemon make for especially great teammates. Gengar in particular is a highly recommended teammate since it is the most offensive spinblocker available, which helps since Skarmory cannot force any relevant spinner out. Alternatively, trappers such as Choice Band Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Scarf Gothitelle can be run to trap and kill the spinners directly.</p>

I changed the sentence with 'seppuku' because, while creative, it seems to be too niche of a term for a relatively important function of Brave Bird. Also, I removed the phrase "death knell" because it really means "omen of death" rather than "moment before death".
anyway,
[gp]1/2[/gp]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The banning of Deoxys-D brought a dearth of effective leads that can set Stealth Rock and Spikes quickly and reliably. Enter Custap Lead Skarmory: the second-fastest Pokemon allowed in OU that gets access to both Stealth Rock and Spikes, bested only by Smeargle. With a maximum Speed of 262, Skarmory can outrun many common leads, and even without much investment in Defense, (RC) Skarmory still has respectable physical bulk, allowing it to comfortably tank physical blows as it sets entry hazards up. Even if the opponent should happen to lead with a specially-based Pokemon, the combination of Sturdy and Custap Berry nearly guarantees that Skarmory will get Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes up. This combination of traits are also its main draw for use as an entry hazard-setting lead over the slightly faster Smeargle, which has to rely on Focus Sash to take a hit, robbing it of the benefits brought about by Custap Berry.</p>

<p>This Skarmory works similarly to Deoxys-D and other suicide leads: it aims to set up Stealth Rock and as many layers of Spikes as possible before fainting. The other two moves help Skarmory's situation versus opposing leads. Brave Bird prevents Skarmory from being complete Taunt bait while acting as a means by which Skarmory can KO itself from 1 HP so an opposing spinner can't spin away Skarmory's entry hazards. Taunt stops slower leads from setting up entry hazards while giving Skarmory a 50% chance of preventing any opposing Breloom from using Spore on it due to a Speed tie I'm assuming?.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs and nature maximize Skarmory's Speed and the power of Brave Bird, (AC) with the last four EVs placed in Defense. However, if Whirlwind is used over Brave Bird, then the Attack EVs can be moved to HP, bolstering Skarmory's overall bulk. The option of minimizing Skarmory's HP, Defense, and Special Defense IVs is available if one wants to activate Skarmory's Custap Berry more quickly, but keep in mind that this is not advised as even resisted special attacks, such as Alakazam's Psychic, would then 2HKO Skarmory without activating the Custap Berry.</p>

<p>Whirlwind is a mostly inferior option that can be used to phaze out setup sweepers, but Brave Bird and Taunt tend to cover what Whirlwind would be useful for. Tailwind can be used when Skarmory is about to faint to speed up its teammates for four turns. Endure can also be used over Brave Bird, since as Skarmory isn't always guaranteed to be knocked into Custap Berry's activation range. While it may seem contrary to use any other item on a set named "Custap Lead", Mental Herb can be used over Custap Berry to negate one use of Taunt, allowing Skarmory to set up entry hazards without worry for a couple of turns.</p>

<p>Problem Pokemon for Skarmory include the two Magic Bouncers, which render Skarmory useless; the five spinners in OU, which can easily negate Skarmory's work; and opposing lead Terrakion and Sableye, both of which can Taunt Skarmory before it can retaliate. Pokemon with Trick are also a problem since as they rob Skarmory of its valuable Custap Berry. While practically any offensive Pokemon can work with Skarmory, those that can eliminate the aforementioned Pokemon make for especially great teammates. Gengar in particular is a highly recommended teammate since as it is the most offensive spinblocker available, which helps since Skarmory cannot force any relevant spinner out. Alternatively, trappers such as Choice Band Dugtrio, Magnezone, and Choice Scarf Gothitelle can be run to trap and kill the spinners directly.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
first sentence of AC said:
The given EVs and nature maximize Skarmory's Speed and the power of Brave Bird, (AC) with the last four EVs placed in Defense.
Looks like this was left from Gato or whoever's GP check.
fourth sentence of the second paragraph of AC said:
While it may seem contrary to use any other item on a set named "Custap Lead,", Mental Herb can be used over Custap Berry to negate one use of Taunt, allowing Skarmory to set up entry hazards without worry for a couple of turns.
This change is based on Smogon's standards regarding commas and quotation marks.

EDIT: ehuehuehue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)