Pokemon Showdown (original announcement)

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS

POKEMON SHOWDOWN IS NOW AVAILABLE: -> pokemonshowdown.com <-

Hey, guys.

I guess many of you have heard about a sim I've been working on for the past month or so. Some of you might have seen some other guy in DST trying to take credit for it, which was hilarious.

Anyway, I'm just so excited about PS that I can't really wait any longer making this post.

Here are some screenshots:

This is PS on a laptop (click for bigger version). If you look closely, you can see hints of certain features like rejoining after a disconnection, and CAP support. ;)

This is the teambuilder. You'll notice you can search for Pokemon by name, type, or ability.

Here's a bit more of the teambuilder. You'll notice it lists illegal moves. You can still select them for things such as streetmons, but they'll of course get removed in OU matches.

And here's PS on an Android phone. PS supports most smartphones and tablets, and I even have music working on iPhone!

Pokemon Showdown is currently in private beta, but I'll try to push out a public beta by sometime next week. :) Are you guys as excited as I am? :D

For those who are curious, why Showdown and not Pokemon Online?

Here are what I already have over PO:

• Animations: You've seen my replay viewer. Those are the animations in PS. Enough said.
  • Reconnect: If you get disconnected from battle, PS allows you to reconnect easily.
  • Adaptive UI: Resize the window to be as big or as small as you want, and the UI will adjust itself to fit it.
  • Truly cross-platform: In addition to Windows, Mac OS X, and Android, PS also supports Linux, iOS, and pretty much any other platform you can think of. Its mobile client is the real thing, too - not watered-down like PO's Android client.
  • Better teambuilder: PS's teambuilder is designed to make teambuilding as fast as possible, whether you prefer keyboard or mouse. The screenshots should show how it does what it does.
  • Easy moddability: PS's mod format makes it easy to implement your own moves, abilities, items, and pokemon. CAP and streetmons are already implemented.
  • Better UI: PS won't close the battle window just because another player closed it. Spectating a battle gives you the full log, not just from the point you started watching. Its team chooser is built into the challenge window. Its teambuilder is sized so you can chat in the lobby and build a team at the same time. Its move description tooltips stay out of the way of the move buttons.
  • Accuracy: PS is designed from the ground up to have an event model and graphics system as close to the games as possible. Examples of things PS gets right that PO doesn't include: Zoroark's Illusion ability, gen 5 Custap Berry effect.
I might be forgetting a few things, and I have a lot more improvements planned, but these are the ones I thought of that I have done so far.

Again, that URL is: -> pokemonshowdown.com <-

Woah you work fast, grats on another awesome looking project. I guess the question lots of people will be wondering is, what features will this have that make it stand out from PO?

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Woah you work fast, grats on another awesome looking project. I guess the question lots of people will be wondering is, what features will this have that make it stand out from PO?
Here's a partial list: (which I've also appended to the first post)

• Animations: You've seen my replay viewer. Those are the animations in PS. Enough said.
  • Reconnect: If you get disconnected from battle, PS allows you to reconnect easily.
  • Adaptive UI: Resize the window to be as big or as small as you want, and the UI will adjust itself to fit it.
  • Truly cross-platform: In addition to Windows, Mac OS X, and Android, PS also supports Linux, iOS, and pretty much any other platform you can think of. Its mobile client is the real thing, too - not watered-down like PO's Android client.
  • Better teambuilder: PS's teambuilder is designed to make teambuilding as fast as possible, whether you prefer keyboard or mouse. The screenshots should show how it does what it does.
  • Easy moddability: PS's mod format makes it easy to implement your own moves, abilities, items, and pokemon. CAP and streetmons are already implemented.
  • Better UI: PS won't close the battle window just because another player closed it. Spectating a battle gives you the full log, not just from the point you started watching. Its team chooser is built into the challenge window. Its teambuilder is sized so you can chat in the lobby and build a team at the same time. Its move description tooltips stay out of the way of the move buttons.
  • Accuracy: PS is designed from the ground up to have an event model and graphics system as close to the games as possible. Examples of things PS gets right that PO doesn't include: Zoroark's Illusion ability, gen 5 Custap Berry effect.

I might be forgetting a few things, and I have a lot more improvements planned, but these are the ones I thought of that I have done so far.

Omg dude I love you...

No more PO :') This piece of crap is the worst thing that has ever happenned to pokemon and Smogon

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Seems really great. The french community find this as good as when they had their revolution.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here's a partial list: (which I've also appended to the first post)

Wow, so much better than PO! Fucking excited for this!

How easy is it to implement the past gen data? DPP + Advance are particularly of interest due to Smogon Tours. Does PS also accommodate for doubles, like the PO?

Hey, can we not just insult PO for no reason? It uses a RNG that isn't glitched or broken, and if it had, it would have been found by now. Not to mention they gave us a 5th generation simulator only a few days after Gen V was out in Japan. Way to be inconsiderate people.

That being said, this looks awesome aesoft, I can't wait till the public beta!

Ok this is good, really good. My connection sucks and I often disconnect, and animations will make battling just as visually appealing as battling on wifi without the whole wifi thing. Excellent job man.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I really cant wait ! Hoping for a better RNG than PO too !
Thx man^^

Can't wait to throw PO and his lolRNG in the bin^^
As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with PO's RNG.

RNGs always "feel" unfair because of mental effects: you remember the 15% of the time Fire Blast misses, not the 85% of the times it hits.

Switching to another RNG doesn't change how random numbers work, so I don't think you'll notice a difference. :/

RBG makes a good point, as well: PO might not be as good as PS (and I say this in a I-made-PS-so-I-might-be-biased way), but aside from a few quirks, it's really nice for what it is.

How easy is it to implement the past gen data? DPP + Advance are particularly of interest due to Smogon Tours. Does PS also accommodate for doubles, like the PO?
Past gens are fairly simple to implement, although PS doesn't allow switching between gens yet, I should be able to implement them without much difficulty. Doubles is more in-depth: They will eventually happen, but not before the beta, and not before I redo the protocol first.

Hey, can we not just insult PO for no reason? It uses a RNG that isn't glitched or broken, and if it had, it would have been found by now. Not to mention they gave us a 5th generation simulator only a few days after Gen V was out in Japan. Way to be inconsiderate people.

That being said, this looks awesome aesoft, I can't wait till the public beta!
this, PO's RNG is fine. Anyways aesoft this looks amazing and i can't wait until the public beta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)