Research Group Mk. II #3 - Zangoose, Rotom-H, Braviary, Eelektross

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello, fellow UUers! It's time for the third installment of Research Group Mk II!

Past Research Group Mk I threads:

#1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6

Past Research Group Mk II threads:

#1 | #2

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Research Group Mk II #3

[pimg]335[/pimg][pimg]499[/pimg][pimg]658[/pimg][pimg]634[/pimg]
Zangoose | Rotom-H | Braviary | Eelektross​

How useful are these Pokemon in UU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #genvuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Send me a PM / post here or on IRC with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the best win/loss ratio with a minimum of 25 battles on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. If you win, you will receive temporary hops on #genvuu, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

Current Participants:

Forum Name - Ladder Alt

DetroitLolcat - Lolcatt
Pokemazter - EelekMazz
iiZqHD - The Creator
Ernesto - rogue goose
Stormshire - Norma Jeane
Boltaway - ScrewSeviper
Shovel - Probopass
SJCrew - Spiral Shock
RT. - Dr. Disrespect
Elegy96 - Carpet Man
Arc Tech - Starc Tech
EspeonX - [TEG] Eelektric
TPO3 - KingofHax
PDC - nimble mind
Polis4Rule - Freedom Prime

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In as Lolcatt

Been testing Mr. Toaster, and he's been pretty average. The problem is that the Fire coverage is just not that great in UU, and Pokemon such as Swampert and Rhyperior can usually switch into Rotom with impunity unless the Rotom user wants to get ballsy and go for a Hidden Power Grass. Rotom is also very frail, almost too frail for its own good, and it's weak to Stealth Rock. Rotom does have some upside in that it makes a good partner with Xatu since they can Volt-turn to each other and prevent hazards from going up. Furthermore, Rotom's Choice Specs set can act as a nuke to break opposing walls as long as Rotom is given the option to switch in without worrying about those pesky pointed stones.

I would not advocate Choice Scarf on Rotom, simply because it lacks the power to use the item effectively. The only advantage it has is that it can revenge kill all Heracross, but that's not enough of a reason to use the Scarf item on it. Expert Belt, however, is very useful since it can bluff a Specs or Scarf set very well.

I will use the Rotom-H. But on weakness i can see right off the bat is 3/4 of them are weak to rock :P

alt : The Creator

I'll be trying Rotom-H and Zangoose (focusing more on Rotom, but I'd like to test Toxic Boost).
Just a question, I have an alt which I'd used only in OU but with which I'd recently made a UU team (didn't start laddering because it's still broken), do I need to use another?
Previous alt: gogo slowbro (slash that; I'm using the new alt)
New alt (in case I need one): rogue goose (lol)

Rotom-H is more well known in the metagame but I've only recently come to UU because I was drowning in OU, so I'd like to see if it can live up to its potential with me. As for Zangoose, well... It has a unique ability and that alone is enough

EDIT: I already created the alt and started using it (ladder's still broken, which sucks), so just put the new one. At the moment Rotom-H has fulfullied my expectations as a Scarfer, I'm gonna try the Support set next. Zangoose actually feels not quite fulfilling, since it didn't get me more than one KO (it may be because I'm not using it right though). Still, STAB +1 Quick Attack is remarkably powerful and unexpected for revenge killing, but the Toxic Orb set wears it down too quickly so it won't be taking hits at all... The Choice or LO may work if I can get it in on a predicted Toxic or, if possible, on one layer of T-Spikes, but the loss of immediate power makes me think why I'm really using it instead of Heracross (Ursaring to a lesser extent). It DOES look really baddass, I'll give it that lol.

If it's worth it to put on a score already, when I tried to slash Zangoose on the team I'd made recently I lost two matches (one due to bad misplays on my behalf, I had the upper hand most of the time), then I decided to change a few things and I won the next two matches. I'm still working on the team though, but it's hard using Zangoose as more than a revenge killer, that's for sure

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH.

Going with Rotom-H, Braviary, and DA EEL.

Edit: The previous alt posted here was registered before I could play a game. So, strike that from the record and from your memories. I'll post with another alt name once I register it. Once again, FlareShock is NOT me.

Yeah, let's roll another round.

I'll probably play with Zangoose, because he looks badass, although chances are I'll end up trying all of them.

Alt - Norma Jeane

I usually ignore everything that is UU, and do stupid things, so I think I want to test out Rotom-H. I'll most likely be using Hail, as I've attempted every tier.

Alt- Probopass (The previous alt was taken)

Set:

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Rotom-H is there to take down opposing Fire Types, with the most threatening being Victini. That is the reason I chose Shadow Ball > Volt Switch. This guy's Overheat can take down opposing Ice types, while still dealing more than decent damage to anything. Thunderbolt is the second Stab option, taking down Water types. Trick is there to tear down walls. I was, however, thinking about Hidden Power Rock instead of Shadow Ball as a more reliable way to take down Fire types, but I don't think it is needed.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All of the discussion in the UU thread makes me want to give the Eel another chance.

(But not Flare's set...!)

EDIT: Register me under the name 'Spiral Shock'.

To be honest, bar Ubers Eelektross is versatile enough to be used in any tier. It would ravage Lc, already ravages Nu/Ru, and in Uu it's still a big threat.

What would make Braviary better than Zangoose in UU? Movepoolwise, Zangoose has perfect coverage.

All I see for Braviary is Flying-Type Stab and the choice of a Stronger Choice Scarf set. If that's all that makes it better, I find Zangoose superior.

What would make Braviary better than Zangoose in UU? Movepoolwise, Zangoose has perfect coverage.

All I see for Braviary is Flying-Type Stab and the choice of a Stronger Choice Scarf set. If that's all that makes it better, I find Zangoose superior.
It could run a bulk up set with roost (although thats hardcountered by Raikou/Zapdos). In addition, it gets sheer force if you want to try to run a set around that. And flying-type stab is very powerful, and especially valuable when Scrafty and to a lesser extent Mienshao is in the tier.

Sorry I didn't contribute much last round, the team was kinda a flop and I was learning the RU metagame for the Grand Slam.

Alt: Starc Tech

Personally I think Braviary is great. Firing off STAB Brave Birds with that beautiful Base 123 attack coupled with STAB Returns or even SuperPowers gives Braviary a solid movepool to work with. Couple that with U-Turn and you have a good Choice Scarf Pokemon, or even Banded if you're feeling risky.
With the addition of Roost, Braviary can be a decent Life Orb pokemon as well.
Braviary also has respectable bulk with that base 100 HP and base 75 defenses, making Bulk Up a viable option.
All in all, I rather think Braviary is a wonderful pokemon.

On the down side, it's typing is kind of lackluster and the weakness to rocks is a bit of a turn-off, but all in all, Braviary can pack a punch.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
In under the alt KingofHax

using HeatTom. Maybe Eel later just for lolz

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm ending this tomorrow, so finalize posing your results and make that last ladder push if you want to win the challenge!

Nas

Banned deucer.
So I've been using Zangoose, that thing is a monster. Though a slight liability against offensive teams, it can still net at least one KO if brought in at the right time, and it absolutely wrecks defensive teams. Even unboosted Facades (after Toxic Boost) OHKO Milotic and Swampert, and at +2 your opponent's only hope is to revenge kill it with something faster.

Edit: This is what usually happens against defensive teams:

Fijina joined.
Felipolvo joined.
Format: UU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause

Fijina's team:
Swampert / Shaymin / Cofagrigus / Zangoose / Flygon / Arcanine

Felipolvo's team:
Roserade / Gligar / Arcanine / Blastoise / Bronzong / Cofagrigus

Battle between Fijina and Felipolvo started!
Fijina sent out Zangoose!
Felipolvo sent out Roserade!

Turn 1
Zangoose used Swords Dance!
Zangoose's Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Roserade used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of your team!
Zangoose's Toxic Orb activated!
Zangoose was badly poisoned!

Turn 2
Felipolvo called Roserade back!
Felipolvo sent out Arcanine!
The foe's Arcanine intimidates Zangoose!
Zangoose's Attack fell!
Zangoose used Facade!
The foe's Arcanine lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Arcanine fainted!
Zangoose was hurt by poison!
Felipolvo sent out Gligar!

Turn 3
Zangoose used Facade!
The foe's Gligar lost 86% of its health!
The foe's Gligar used Substitute!
It was too weak to make a substitute!

Turn 4
Felipolvo called Gligar back!
Felipolvo sent out Bronzong!
Zangoose used Facade!
It's not very effective... The foe's Bronzong lost 72% of its health!
The foe's Bronzong restored HP using its Leftovers!

Turn 5
Felipolvo called Bronzong back!
Felipolvo sent out Cofagrigus!
Zangoose used Night Slash!
A critical hit! It's super effective! The foe's Cofagrigus lost 100% of its health!
Zangoose's Ability became Mummy!
The foe's Cofagrigus fainted!

Felipolvo forfeited.
Fijina won the battle!
Ladder updating...
Felipolvo left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)