2011 Music

something else to add to my list of things im excited about:

jamie xx, the third of the xx who handles the production and beats and shit, is coming out with a solo album which mixes in snippets and samples of that gil scott heron album that came out last year (didnt listen to it, but people seemed to like it), called were new here. the first track they put out to tease the thing, "new york is killing me" is unbelieeevable. it has this really simple melody and this just fucking smoky, ghostly atmosphere thats up there with the shit burial does, then these little blasts of wobble kick in and gil scott herons all like NEW YOOOORK IS KILLIN ME and it sends shivers down my spine every time.

this track alone is eclipsing anything dubstep related i listened to in 2010, and its up there with the best electronic music of that year period. if you listen to one new thing today, click this fucking website and listen to it, the second track down.

NEW YOOOORK IS KILLIN MEEE MEEE

Jamie xx is obviously very good with beats (see any song on xx), and this new project really interests me. I really am hoping for a proper follow-up to xx this year, though. Second best of 2009 after Hospice, I thought.

if anything, jamies solo stuff reassures me that the xx wont sell out after they won the mercury prize and became pretty famous here in the uk. i want more of this tropical-tinged shit. get romy and the lanky bassist (thomas? icr) crooning over this sort of thing and it could be fantastic.

havent listened to a lot of new stuff (well, depends), but I added dozens of stuff to my wishlist.. this year is shaping up to be great again

ps: new forums is meh (will post less on here I guess)

something else to add to my list of things im excited about:

jamie xx, the third of the xx who handles the production and beats and shit, is coming out with a solo album which mixes in snippets and samples of that gil scott heron album that came out last year (didnt listen to it, but people seemed to like it), called were new here. the first track they put out to tease the thing, "new york is killing me" is unbelieeevable. it has this really simple melody and this just fucking smoky, ghostly atmosphere thats up there with the shit burial does, then these little blasts of wobble kick in and gil scott herons all like NEW YOOOORK IS KILLIN ME and it sends shivers down my spine every time.

this track alone is eclipsing anything dubstep related i listened to in 2010, and its up there with the best electronic music of that year period. if you listen to one new thing today, click this fucking website and listen to it, the second track down.

NEW YOOOORK IS KILLIN MEEE MEEE
nice, i really love jamie xx's beats. would love to see more island-like stuff

Kanye/Jay's new single is out, called H.A.M.

pretty good stuff... Jay delivers, and Lex's production is wicked. Also featuring some opera choir stuff. Oh and a verse from Kanye that's so-so.... Overall good though!

man, HAM sucks. it just sucks. what a dissapointment :(

i didnt realize this thing wouldnt be kanye produced (at least not entirely kanye produced), and man does it suffer for it. i absolutely fucking hate this kind of hip-hop production, with really jittery, light percussion. its the sort of thing lil wayne raps over and i cannot fucking stand it. i liked some of the opera choir stuff in the chorus and at the end, that had kanye all over it, but fuck those drums, they just have bad pop-rap written all over them :( lyrically, both are pretty subpar. really nothing to say about that.

not losing faith in watch the throne, though, since we at least know a couple of the better good friday tracks are on there (the joy). still, really hope theres more kanye produced stuff.

also the day a track where someone raps about jay z and manages not to rhyme "jigga" with "nigga" is the day i suck my own penis

I do agree that the production on HAM is very similarly sounding to something shit like Wayne, Wacka Flocka Flame, Soulja Boy, etc etc., would rap over. I dunno what kinda rap music that is explicitly, but they all fall under it.

From when I heard HAM last night at 3am to now (5pm) it's gotten a bit rusty already. Yeezy's verse is... not really good. Still a solid song though.

but hey, we still have That's My Bitch!

Cage The Elephant's new album, Thank You, Happy Birthday came out today. It isn't as poppy as their debut album and surprisingly enjoyable. It's far from a masterpiece, but it takes a few listens before the album finally "clicks". I'm not normally a fan of alternative groups, but this band has always stood out to me for some reason.

So far I've only got Earth and Acid Witch from 2011, and both were pretty good. I prefer Stoned to Witchtanic Hellucinations, but as for Earth I only have The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull so I can't really compare.

Most anticipated releases atm are Merkabah, Tool and Radiohead methinks.

James Blake, as everyone already mentioned is really really good. I was looking forward to British Sea Power but the album is pretty forgettable. M.I.A.'s Vicki Leekx is actually pretty decent, not the first 4 minutes though.

yeah, im enjoying vicki leekx more than i did maya, but i think a big part of that it that i wasnt expecting/hoping for something good. theres definitely some great moments in there.

smith westerns die it blonde is growing on me, even though ive fallen out of favour with this kind of indie pop sound over the last year.

go team!'s rolling blackouts is a go! team album. its a pretty good go! team album, and the horns in the first track actually surprised me alot, but the rest of what i listened to just didnt interest me at all, and i didnt make it to the end. meh/10

tensnake
's in the house is a pretty great dance mix if you're after a pretty great dance mix, but the only essential track featured is his own, coma cat. everyone needs to give that link a click. solid 7/10 though, some good grooves and great background music. mostly downloaded this for coma cat and for the sexy blue cover art.

listened to a bunch of other things not really worth talking about including decemberists and tennis. meh.

dre's detox is officially dropping in february, and im more excited about it than i expected to be. kush has some pretty strong crossover appeal with the mainstream i think, and if the rest of the album can reach that level, it'll be awesome.

I'm liking the Smith Westerns quite a bit actually. Pleasant stuff. Other than that, nothing particularly notable.

Looking forward to the Cloud Nothings album as well.

(Is This It?) Amazing > (Room On Fire) Great > First Impressions of Earth (Horrible)
I'd agree that First Impressions is probably their worst work, but I definitely wouldn't say it's awful. Still a worthy album.

Holy Shit, I absolutely LOVED the Gil Scott-Heron album, this is the first I've heard of this. Sounds wicked, cheers for the heads-up.

I also didn't hate H.A.M, it's nothing on the majority of the tracks from MBDTF but the bar was set high. Still got my hopes high for Watch The Throne.

I'd agree that First Impressions is probably their worst work, but I definitely wouldn't say it's awful. Still a worthy album.
Perhaps it isn't terrible when comparing it to music in general, but it's pretty bad for a Strokes album.

i just wrote a whole load about how fantastic and progressive the new mogwai album is, and then firefox crashed. suffice to say it's the first great album of the year and everyone should listen to it.

the first track from raekwons new album has also raised my expectations considerably, so thats awesome.

edit: what the fuck, drake is working with jamie xx on his new album. apparently jamie's sent him a whole load of beats, and drake called him one of the most exciting producers hes ever met. as much as i hate to admit it, this makes me genuinely excited about a new drake album.

so much jamie xx love on this page. i promise ill stop now.

also wishy, i kind of hate lil wayne but six foot seven foot is actually pretty...good. in fact its pretty amazing.

Cooky

Banned deucer.
Speaking of the xx has anyone heard Notorious xx by wait what? Its Biggies voice over xx beats with occasional vocal cameos from them, seriously check it out on youtube (or mediafire..). Its not quite 2011 but hey

edit: didn't realise it had already been brought up. Just confirming then that its a cool album.

Stoo I don't know how any actual hip hop fan could hate Wayne after listening to Da Drought 3. Having said, considering almost everything he's put out since then has been garbage, 6 foot 7 foot was certainly a return to form.

This is to anyone, if you want to know why people respects waynes rapping abilities go download Da Drought 3. It's one hell of a mixtape.

Back to 2011 stuff, haven't really listened to anything besides HAM, which is probably better than I first gave it credit for (the opera part actually works), but is still nowhere close to being a good song (kanye's verse was ass frankly).

hes an occasionally amazing rapper, i just cant stand his voice and all the pop-rap he stands for. six foot seven foot definitely has some amazing lines in it, and if they came from someone like DOOM or kanye i'd probably be all wet over it, for sure:

"life is a bitch, and death is her sister/
sleep is the cousin, where the fuck the family picture?"

and god damn if "i got through that sentence like a subject and predicate" isn't the best one line simile ive heard since "its like he eatin' watermelon, stay spittin' new seeds" (that was a DOOM line)

all the other stuff, his voice and the little laughing noises he always makes..no thanks :/

also dude shade recommended the notorious xx to me and at least the first half of that thing is amaaazing. the second half doesnt work too well since the tracks towards the end of xx are more atmospheric and floaty with less beats, but crystalisabeths and islands is the limit are totally superior to their original versions of those tracks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)