Big 2official2mafia - POSTGAME

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This was my first smog mafia game and my second forum mafia game ever (it played a lot differently to the first one I played 'cause one was all played in the thread whereas this was played on Discord for the most part) and honestly I can say with complete confidence that I did fuck all. Still kinda ticked off by that role neutralisation thing happening over a misinterpretation of a statement but w/e there's no point moaning about it now.

All I'm gonna say about the game is that the Discord after von called it was fucking hilarious. Genuinely I was so incompetent at following what was going that that's all I can really say about it lol.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd rather be literally useless than useless for all intents and purposes. At least the former's not bullshitting about something which is already p. bullshit.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
there were lots of things i liked about this game and lots of things i did not like. i don't like mole roles in general, so basically a team of mole roles and fake flips is not my cup of tea. i think you should be able to trust all host information; lying hosts and paranoid inspections just bring a pointless luck variable into the game.

in terms of game balance, we electros got fully shafted. we desperately needed a kill and the ability to use our best roles on ourselves because without that we were well and truly impotent. being on able to win in desperation and having to partner up with another team sounds cool in theory, but in practise we had to lose half our team before we even found out how we won. the electros genocide seemed pretty pointless but i am not too mad about it because i don't really think we stood any chance of winning. i guess we could've teamed up with magmas but i died n3 (fuck off twin again) and didn't pay too much to the game after that so idk what went on. idk if in retrospect von would change our faction, but i hope he would because i think we were by far the weakest faction and had by far the least chance of winning.

props to kirsche i thought he played a good game. i got randomly mad for going off and doing shit without telling the group but he got onto the muds sheet by doing it so i had to apologise to him there! looking forward to seeing this guy play in future games because i reckon he will be a dark horse. happy that Josh got a win (and i've been told he played well so gj) in his first big game, good to see people new to circus/smogmafia getting stuck in and getting wins. can everyone stop killing me early so i get a chance to play with these ppl.

ty to von for hosting though, its a lot of work to design and host a 50 ppl mafia game and lots of people seemed to have fun which is the main point. always good to get a bit of hustle and bustle around smogon mafia.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was incredibly inactive in this game so I can't comment on much, but the one thing I can speak about is Single Use roles. I hate Single Use roles that do not have an additional aspects so much. I think they are bad design and lead to one of two outcomes. A strong early game random move or a more calculated weaker move later on in the game. Either way it means that most of the game you can't contribute in terms of your role. As soon as I found out I had a Single Use role and Pokemon came out to distract me, I was uninterested in this game. I even came up with a fun fake, but completely lost interest after that. Please, if you are going to include Single Use roles, give the players something else in addition.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Postgame
2official2mafia was inspired by Card Game Mafia. In that, there were six card types based around six elements of mafia. I thought it'd be really fun if a multifaction game could somehow incorporate teams that were themed are those types. When factions are so specialized, it really challenges a host in terms of creativity and balancing. But when the thought occurs to me, hmm, what would this be like? It's something that I have follow through with. I figured an official game should have two good hosts and I've really liked Yeti's games lately. She didn't do much of the design work. Honestly I thought she was just distracted with real life, I never would have wanted to her to think that this was "my baby" and that she couldn't affect significant change in its design. But that's how it usually goes when I have a cohost. I tend to do 95% of the work without being a control freak. When I go into design mode I just go off.

STARS
The Stars were a populous faction that controlled a little less than half the vote when the game started. In a multifaction game, this seemed good enough. Unfortunately, STARS weren't inactive so much as token active. They put in their actions, but weren't really receptive to early attempts to lead them. Were they the weakest faction? Lol, that's fucking idiotic. After they got massacred they still had more votes than any other faction. No kill? Nomark alone meant that the only end game scenarios where they weren't power players would be ones in which they were either totally eliminated (Jill Valentine would have gone away in that event) or where one faction had overwhelming numbers. Unfortunately for them, one of those two scenarios happened. There was actually a decent possibility around Cycle 8 of an AQUA/STARS joint victory, but like every cycles flirtations with overthrowing the wolves, it never came to fruition. But it probably would have worked out well for at least one of AQUA or STARS, or even MUDS.

LonelyNess
Dear Keiko,
You are Robin Williams.
It’s hard to say what character people know you as best. All we know is, we ain’t never had a friend like you.

You are so beloved that your vote counts for 4. Additionally, you are untouchable by persuaders or silencers, so your vote will always go through.

You are allied with the STARS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

To my understanding, LN went against the grain with UncleSam's leadership. Which he's in his rights to do, but Sam was pretty proven at that point. When Sam learned of his ability, he was skeptical and almost let the lynch happen, which would have been a big mistake. The damage was done unfortunately. Keiko had gotten enough attention that AQUAS decided to kill her. It was a big loss for STARS, esp with the vote doubler in play.

TraceofLife
Dear Sisko,
You are Steph Curry.
You don’t wish you were a little bit taller, you already are a baller, you have a girl who looks good, and I assume you call her.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Secretly Vote USER”. You will place a vote for USER that will override whatever you post in the thread. Additionally, this secret vote will count for 2.

Spent half his time cockblocked by Haruno, so didn't get much mileage.

Texas Cloverleaf
Dear Doctor,
You are Antares.
The fifteenth brightest star in our sky, you are the brightest of the constellation Scorpius. You are 883 times as big as our own star, so, this seems like a good time for a ‘your momma so fat’ joke.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Blind the FACTION”. You will negate any vote all members of FACTION places against the STARS the next cycle.

UncleSam's most trusted man, dying unfortunately one cycle before his leader. Fairly important ability that died too early to matter.

Aubisio
Dear Seven,
You are Donald Trump.
Possible rapist, confirmed pig, unfortunately a president (updated), known wealthy man. If you were black old school Americans would call you a typical broken family baby daddy but instead you’re just a blended, modern family. jlawokay.gif

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Pay off USER1 to Vote USER2”. You will fling money at USER1, forcing them to vote known cuck USER2 in the lynch.

Randed cycle 1.

DeathbyWobbuffet
Dear Janeway,
You are Hillary Clinton.
Current Top Enemy of WikiLeaks and a not a president (updated). Your political marriage to Bill “I did not have sexual relations with that woman” Clinton seems to be working well for you. A shame you have to piss on the notion of marrying for love to do it.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Get the DMC on USER1 and USER2”. You will silence USER1 and USER2 before they can leak more of your corrupt emails.

Somewhat active newbie who died too early to shine.

UncleSam
Dear T’Pol,
You are Marshawn Lynch.
You’re just here so you don’t get fined.

Once per game, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: USER HOLD MY DICK”. You will redirect the lynch off whoever would have been lynched onto USER instead, because you’re the best running back in da league doe. This is a one time ability.

UncleSam got this role randomly after asking for the wrong faction when Yeti trolled him with an article stating that SANDS were the lynch faction (I c/p'd it into the sign-ups as is, but that's a minor detail). He probably used his action as best as he could, given that it was mostly just a token role. He's also the only person to actually kill a MAGMA, so there's a point in his favor. Partly he got fucked over by having kind of an uncooperative faction, but I wonder how much of that was that his faction was on discord and he wasn't.

Yeti and I never had this argument before the game started, in spite of me including the discord link in the rules before, but here's a good place to talk about it, as there's (LITERALLY) a couple of people not bending on the discord thing. Look, it really doesn't seem like a fad, and I was resistant at first too. But I don't want to splinter the community and I could give a fuck whether most chat happens on IRC or discord. I have my own community that probably wouldn't just hop over from IRC. But for a single game if mafia, discord totally outclasses IRC. It's an inherently Gmax proof chat forum that's a thousand times easier for new people to access. And you don't need to have discord on, or even the computer on, to see everything that happens in a room when you aren't there. I know smogon mafia is pretty mired in tradition, but sometimes you gotta be able to recognize as asset when you see one.

UncleSam, well, he was also similarly guilty with Lightwolf for the two tunneling each other. I said to treat this like a multifaction game because I was afraid that the AQUAS would get slaughtered, but my experience with multifactions is that they rubberband. Early game, it seemed like AQUAS would steamroll. Well, they didn't, but if villages had been less total annihilation toward each other, who knows, maybe a Magma or two would have been caught in the crossfire.

The last thing I have to add is that, it's funny how people never trust and yet they always trust me. When it should really be the other way around.

OM Room
Dear Khan,
You are Bernie Sanders.

You are the hero Gotham deserves, but also the one it needs right now. But Gotham is getting Green Lantern instead. And I mean not like a good Green Lantern like Jon Stewart or even Hal Jordan. Gotham is getting Guy Gardner.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Fund raise with USER”. You’ll give USER a free college education, and both of you will have double the votes if you vote to lynch the same alias.

The 2nd person to sub into this role. It was idled a lot and used with very little foresight and planning when not idling. Neelix was targeted only twice all game, when he was the OBVIOUS target. It's a shame, since this role was very good. OM Room stuck around to the end at least.

Flyhn
Dear Winn,
You are Vega.
The fifth-brightest star in our sky, you are the brightest star in the constellation Lyra. You have a blue tint and are not nearly as big as other bright stars, as you are a pretty close neighbor. In space terms.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Solar Flare around USER”. You will engulf USER in a protective Solar Flare, preventing them from being killed Cycle X and lynched Cycle X+1. You cannot target the same USER two cycles in a row or target yourself.

A VERY important role that was never used. Flyhn subbed in for an idler and then idled himself, but died that turn anyway.

Darnell
Dear Geordi,
You are the Star of David.
Symbol of Judaism on those lame “coexist” bumper stickers that are only ever bought by weedlords earning minimum wage.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Coexist with PLAYER1 and PLAYER2”. You will find out who PLAYER1 and PLAYER2 each voted for in the previous lynch.

Darnell was a new player who never really kept in touch with others, which is unfortunate because he also didn't know the significance of his results. He never caught anyone voting, but that's info in and of itself.

Former Hope
Dear Quark,
You are Ziggy Stardust.
“There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds.”

You are an alien, but you also have a human incarnation. They are Trip, and the password is the same as yours. You may do as you wish with this, including vote in the lynch.

It's always kind of fun when a big name leader dies and misc players have to pick up the slack. It's the sort of situation that lets players prove themselves. Former Hope couldn't do much in his position except try to stay alive, which was his goal, and he succeeded long enough to make a difference if any other faction had lended a hand.

Oddish.
Dear Rom,
You are a Spitting Goat.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Spit in the Update”. Include in the body of your PM an announcement to be posted in the Cycle Update as well as a vote for USER. This vote will be counted towards the lynch.

Oddish was the other half of the STARS scrappers late game (I mean, I probably shouldn't include Haruno, so yes, half). Her role also needed to be proactive and planned and never really was.

Nomark
Dear Neelix,
You are Jill Valentine.
The original member of STARS, you are the master of unlocking but were almost a Jill sandwich. Now the other factions want STARS, you’ll give them STARS. When the wheels of justice start turning, nobody can stop them. Nobody.

Cycle 1. You can’t believe you’re still alive. And you really won’t be able to believe it when you’re dead. But after being killed, you may still post valid lynch votes. You may not do anything else, including communicate in any other manner.

Nomark is a champion. He died cycle one put stayed around for the whole game just to put in a vote and do nothing else, even after many had discounted the remotest possibility of a STARS win. Had he gone inactive, what could I have done? Sub him?

STARS MVP
Conventionally, it should probably be Former Hope. But maybe it should be Nomark. Which is ridiculous, cause the player was dead all game, was in contact with no one, and basically never could have any strategy or tactics. But it's hard to pick between the two.

SANDS
SANDS were the actual weakest faction. In a sense, they were sort of like ELECTROS. They both had a desperation count of 4 and only SANDS knew about desperation from the start. That could have given Lightwolf (randed roll) a lot of power, but he never did anything with it. But like with info in general, once their early advantage was out of the way, they lost a lot power late game. Which is also true of MAGMAS, but MAGMAS both hard counter them and had numbers. SANDS needed to be friendly with people, but instead they were a very hostile faction, and that backfired colossally.

Steven Snype
Dear Dukat,
You are MR SANDSMAN.
The illustrious leader of SANDS, INC. you have been around many a mafia game, but never quite met with success. Mysterious, overweight, sandy and rich.

At the end of each cycle, you will learn which PLAYERS voted for which ALIASES.

You are allied with the SANDS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

Gotta feel for Snype, getting randed like that. Could have been a very powerful role too.

Lightwolf
Dear Kim,
You are Halloween Jack.
“Rebel Rebel, you've torn your dress
Rebel Rebel, your face is a mess
Rebel Rebel, how could they know?
Hot tramp, I love you so!”

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Hack USER1 and USER2”. You will hack into George Orwell’s 1984 cameras and spy on them, learning who they target.

Living in a version of the dystopian future that no one let you make a stage show out of for stupid reasons, you’re well acquainted with the desperation, and know of the Desperation mechanic where two factions in Desperation (having lost a certain number of players) can win together.

I honestly have no clue what you were doing. Lightwolf spent all SANDS precious early resources cleaning players, even redundantly at times. He was hostile toward other factions when he had no real power (and even less with no offensively oriented info). He didn't do anything with his knowledge of desperation.

Seito Hakari
Dear O’Brien,
You are Trapinch.
The adorable little… critter… who grows up to be the most cucked Pokemon regarding Mega Evolution. You are a sweet thing though, and hope that someday when you become a Flygon, you will be seen as “more than the ghetto Salamence.”

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Watch USER1 and USER2”. You will lurk right below the surface and spy on USER1 and USER2, learning who they targeted.

Using your antlion tremorsense, you’ve felt 9 other members of SANDS walking around up there.

Definitively caught mafia on multiple occasions, but I'm not sure he ever understood or used that info. Definitely made an effort.

THE_IRON_KENYAN...?
Dear Mayweather,
You are Palossand.
A new spooky scary (well, almost) sand castle themed Pokemon from Sun and Moon, you are sure to be a smash hit on RODAN’s next Ghost Monotype Team.

You may continue to communicate with your teammates from beyond the grave. When you die, you will no longer be able to talk to other dead players, but may speak with living players.

No idea why nobody believed your claim. Pretty obviously SANDS. Well, here's his real role pm, if anyone was interested. God knows nobody failed to see through the fake.

King_
Dear Wesley,
You are Death.
As one of the Endless, you are sister of The Sandman (not to be confused with MR SANDSMAN). Like your name implies, you are the Grim Reaper. There’s no sadness in what you do. Everyone gets the same thing in the end. A lifetime.

You only escorts souls away when it’s their time. Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Reap USER.” You must include their correct Role Name and Faction for this to work, and it won’t work if it was successful last cycle. If successful, they will die.

The point of an informed kill is that you use it indiscriminately. So I'm baffled why you idled so often. You also probably could have moled a bit to get more info to fuel your kill.

Sandshrewz
Dear Dax,
You are Inspector Gadget.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Go Go Gadget Inspect USER”. You will dig up everything you can about USER, obtaining their Role PM.

Subbed in just in time to see his faction get wiped out. Inherited King's kill. Tried to carry the team on his back. SANDS never had a 0% chance to win, but they were the closest. Still, they had a solid core of an Inspector/Killer with a BG to protect him.

pancake
Dear B’Elanna,
You are a Prairie Dog.
Cute little burrow-dwelling creature of the prairies and plains, you are a sociable but skittish chum.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Cop USER”. You will burrow beneath USER and spy on them, learning their Ability.

You are aware your African cousin, the Meerkat, is in this game. They are Lore. You are aware that if you target the same USER as the Meerkat, you will both receive their full Role PM.

Fairly important as the more experienced of the twins. Had a leadership role in SANDS after Lightwolf died. People have been kind of harsh to pancake, but I feel like whatever he's guilty of, many other players, including accusers and experienced players, also were.

Alfa610
Dear Lore,
You are a Meerkat.
Cute little burrow-dwelling creature of the savannah, you love bugs and are found in the constant companionship of a warthog who shares your life philosophy.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Cop USER”. You will burrow beneath USER and spy on them, learning their Faction.

You are aware your American cousin, the Prairie Dog, is in this game. They are B’Elanna. You are aware that if you target the same USER as the Prairie Dog, you will both receive their full Role PM.

Newer player with a more experienced helper to guide him. Stuck with it.

Empoof
Dear Odo,
You are the Invest-A-Gator.
Yeti, if you are doing update when this player dies, make sure the picture is of a Sandile so that everyone knows the role is sand-themed.

You begin the game with one Gator to invest. When you send it to another player by PMing Borg Queen and Q, it will tell them that it will watch their actions as long as they hold it. But instead, you’ll just know which alias has it at any time. You may also ask Borg Queen and Q for it back at any time, but may not pass it on the same turn.

That was a funny lynch. Honestly, I had run out of SANDS ideas at this point. I have more now, and even when I put the game up, but I wanted to see what could come of this. He was unlucky with his targets, but he really didn't need to idle on cycle 2 either.

Paperblade
Dear Troi,
You are Sand King.
The Sand Jefe himself, king of LCS BIG PLAYS in DOTA2 matches when you get off a big Epicenter, or top tier fails when you fail to channel it. Or you can just sit under the sand making a cool blowy noise.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Sand Storm USER”. You will enshroud USER in a sandstorm, blocking all kills on them. If you successfully block a kill, you will gain the would-be killer’s Role PM.

Nobody ever trusted Paperblade, which was a huge source of misfortune. Even Sandshrewz wasn't close to him. But to be fair, why would you ever stop targeting Dax? Why the shenanigans to save Spock on Cycle 9? Mistake.

SANDS MVP
pancake maybe? But I'd favor sandshrewz to be honest. I've liked that guy ever since Lie, Cheat, and Steal. He couldn't do too much subbed halfway into a mostly dead faction, but he had a strong head on his shoulders.

MUDS
On Cycle 1 Yeti and I said, goodbye MUDS. But they sort of surprised us. They actually lived up to their creed of being resilient, not even being in desperation when game was called against them. They may have even been able to kill up to 3 MAGMAS, but not the 4 needed to share a victory. Yes, that's how close they were. A different cycle 9 could have resulted in a joint win or maybe even (though unlikely) a MAGMAS loss. But their "impending victory" really went to their heads, causing them to basically hand the game to MAGMAS on a silver platter. They aren't alone in helping MAGMAS win, but they really clinched it.

zorbees
Dear Uhura,
You are MUDSY.
The muddy madman himself, you have been involved in these conflicts for many moons and continue to fight for the MUDS’ right to party, as dirty as they want.

You are the vest vendor. You hold a BPV, LPV and two APV. No player, including yourself, may benefit from more than one of these (the first to break will be too mangled to take off). You may distribute them to other players in the game by PMing Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Send <VEST> to USER”.

You are allied with the MUDS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

zorbees has long been the kind of player that, if on a faction, I will feel like I've done my due diligence in seeing that they've got at least one good player to support them. This is the last time I fall into that trap. zorbees did little until his faction was thoroughly moled. Some of his vests eventually got to the right places, but not all of them.

Mithril
Dear Riker,
You are Sliggoo.
The cute middle stage of Goomy and Goodra, you are a true force to be reckoned with in the lower tiers of competitive Pokemon due to your Curse spam. Stay gooey. vF: this also sounds like a noise Danny DeVito would make.

You cannot be killed under any circumstances except via the lynch.

Subbed in. As a role, this one became increasingly important as the game went on. He even got his LPV, which is the obvious move. When I say that slight changes could have done a lot, I mean that if he got randed the team's kill, MAGMAS might have blundered multiple times trying to get rid of him.

Asek
Dear Bashir,
You are Mudkip.
So I heard everyone likes you. I also heard 2005 called and it wants its meme back.

You cannot be lynched under any circumstances.

Unlynchable. Got killed. Definitely weaker than his counterpart, and not even necessarily the best BPV target.

acidpheonix
Dear Reed,
You are the Goblin King.
“It's only forever.
Not long at all.
Lost and lonely.
That's underground.”

Every player that dies is lost to the swamp of eternal stench. Once during the game, you may PM Borg Queen and Q “Cycle X: Magic Dance with USER” to bring them back. But the smell won’t go away.

This was SOME shit. Got moled, subsequently lost a vital revive, but went onto lead since he was clean, right? acid was basically a MAGMA stooge. Maybe he thought he'd get the MAGMA banner when they won.

Pidge
Dear Kira,
You are a Rich Pet Pig.
People, usually white, with more money than common sense think you are cute when you fit into a teacup as a baby. When you wind up weighing more than their anorexic daughter, they don’t find you quite as cute.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: See if FACTION wants my bacon”. You will get your guard up in case your family wants to sell your massive adult self to FACTION to become bacon. If a member of FACTION tries to kill you, you will be able to revive at any point in the game.

Theoretically a powerful role, has never mattered in practice. Still, I'd sooner include it than the "classic" rogue. But that's not the highlight. I'm pretty sure you were the player who started that von Karma shit, right? That was pretty hilarious. You had everyone running around, panicking. Even though when the first player asked me "what does a von Karma do" I replied "I don't know what that is" (yes, I know it's from an old mafia game, I don't memorize the workings of every old role though). I was really temped to name a cycle: von Karma just to troll people.

Blue_Tornado
Dear Phlox,
You are a Crayfish.
Southern folk love to eat you. Elementary school kids love to learn biology from you. And you just love to live in creek beds chilling in the water.

You have two lives. The first time you are killed, you will come back immediately.

The biggest impact of this role wasn't that it stayed alive, but simple that after it got hit once, it freed BT up to very active and open with his alias.

Martin
Dear Data,
You are Armus.
Some weird Scooby Doo tier tar monster villain who killed off generally irrelevant character Tasha Yar when her actress foolishly thought her career would go absolutely anywhere if she left Star Trek.

For every two members of the MUDS who dies, you will gain a kill charge. When you have a charge, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Revenge kill USER”. You will kill USER in honor of your fallen comrade.

Vanillagate. We'll talk about whether or not Lie Generator is broken later. But I'd like to believe that a more experienced player would have known just how much BS it was to be told to post your WC when no one had done so before, and then to be told that they were made permanently vanilla two turns in a row for some reason. At least suspicious enough to TRY their action, which can't hurt. Hell, I get players without actions who send me IDLE pms every cycle. I can't blame Martin, but I know there are people who he told who should have figured this out. Hell, acid literally KNEW by Cycle 9 and sat on it.

Pilobacon
Dear Tuvok,
You are Shadow Mario.
The illegitimate child of Peach and Bowser, Rule 34’s power couple. You are the opposite of a janitor, just not mechanically.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Muck up USER”. You’ll graffiti their house, causing anyone who would target them to make you their target instead.

Poor Pilobacon, this is just one step up from claiming mafia in Jojo. Without ever knowing what to do really, he took orders from people who never really knew what was good for him either. Defended other factions a LOT.

Hawkie
Dear Kes,
You are a Poster of Rita Hayworth.
They call Morgan Freeman Red because he’s Irish.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Free USER”. They will duck behind you and crawl through raw sewage to freedom, and won’t be targetable as a result.

A HUGE cycle 1 loss. Part of the MUD'S synergistic core. OG someone, Reverse Martyr the OG, have a BPV on the Reverse Martyr... never saw the light of day.

MUDS MVP
Blue_Tornado for not being acidphoenix? Pidge for amusing me? This one is rough.

AQUANAUTS
I was really apprehensive about AQUAS. I thought they were the weakest faction, what with being ostensibly 1 mafia out of 3 villages. They were hard countered by SANDS too. So I overpowered them. Did it really shake out that way? No. But if they were weaker and ate it sooner, maybe there would have been enough villagers to contend with MAGMAS. AQUAS were some of the best players in the game, though they weren't perfect. Saboteur actually did NOTHING to hurt them directly, but the idea that Sab was always hurting them really fucked up their faction.

This is the point where Yeti stopped making role pms.

askaninjask/Da Letter El
Dear Paris,
You are a Pelican.
This role is a pelican. Our budget for role pms has run out.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Swallow USER1” and “Cycle X: Spit on USER2”. USER1 will be spit on USER2, redirecting their action to them.

You are allied with the AQUANAUTS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

I'll give a nod to aska, because he actually did a lot in 2 cycles. He thoroughly moled MUDS, which is more moling than the moling faction did. This allowed him to steal the revive and use it on Sulu. This was not a good idea, but it was a big play, so it needs mentioning.

Dale, adversely, couldn't do much when he was subbed in before he died.

Thetwinmasters
Dear Barclay,
You are Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.
7.8/10, too much water. Not memeing. Nobody fucking likes water levels, get over it you fanboys.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Whirlpool from USER1 to USER2”. You will blast annoying trumpets outside of USER1’s house, causing anyone who would target them to go after USER2 instead.

You are allied with the AQUANAUTS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

Twin was largely leading his faction until he died. He fought with Haruno a LOT, and rage quit as it seemed that he would be lynched. I don't know if he could have changed the lynch, he probably shouldn't have been able to, but he certainly did himself no favors.

I have to be frank with you dude. People don't like you. You rage quit all the time. It's becoming a major problem that could bar you from Smogon mafia. You're not as good as you think you are, either. Leading and making plans is good, but being unable to get along with anyone and rage quitting every game counteract that completely. The fact of the matter is that even after you were dead (and dead talking), people screwed over your faction just to spite you.

I think you COULD be a really good player. But not until you take what I'm saying to heart and try to improve.

rssp1
Dear Jake,
You are a Humpback Whale.
“I ain’t no humpback girl” -authentic Yeti role flavor

Twice per cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Eat USER”. USER will be swallowed whole, protecting them from all actions and negating their actions this cycle, and preventing them from posting or being lynched next cycle while they hang out with Jonah.

Since you have inherited your factions kill, each cycle, you may PM Borg and Q with “Cycle X: Kill USER.” You will flop onto USER and crush them to death.

A significant voice in AQUA plans. While Twin and Haruno always fought, rssp1 was diplomatic. But he was also diplomatic to the point of being a little ineffective. Even he acknowledges that he should have helped Haruno shoot blazade early.

Haruno
Dear Chekov,
You are the Thin White Duke.
“He kissed her then and there
She took his ring, took his babies
It took him minutes, took her nowhere
Heaven knows, she'd have taken anything”

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Get USER high.” You will share your copious collection of drugs with them and they will get wet. As a result, their role will be effectively vanilla for the next two cycles.

Fought with his faction to the point of being often illogical. I don't know why he so often thought that Sab was arranging kills against AQUAS when every AQUA was told that wasn't possible. He accused Twin, Blazade, dogfish44, and then finally settled on Blazade. Considered role blanking Twin and tried to kill Blazade. I think you actually hurt your faction a lot in the long run, but if people had listened around Cycle 7, things could have been much different.

dogfish44
Dear Worf,
You are Aquaman.
Yeti probably would have said something really demeaning about Aquaman but she stopped writing these. So Aquaman is actually super badass if you know anything more about him than what The Big Bang Theory tells you. So there.

Twice per cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Hook USER”. You will hook USER with your hook hand, which you obtained after you cut your own fucking hand off to escape a trap and save lives. USER’s actions will fail.

Welcome back to mafia! Good to see you. You didn't much, mind you. Kingmakered for MAGMAS, and that's being generous.

Krauersaut
Dear Scotty,
You are Cthulu.

Cthulhu ([(k)ʟ̝̊ʊlʔɬuː]) is a fictional cosmic entity created by writer H. P. Lovecraft and first introduced in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the American pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. Considered a Great Old One within the pantheon of Lovecraftian cosmic entities, the creature has since been featured in numerous popular culture references. Lovecraft depicts Cthulhu as a gigantic entity worshiped by cultists. Cthulhu's appearance is described as looking like an octopus, a dragon and a caricature of human form. Its name was given to the Lovecraft-inspired universe where it and its fellow entities existed, the Cthulhu Mythos.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Mind blast USER”. USER will be so unable to comprehend you that they will be unable to post next cycle.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Tentacle whip USER.” USER will be killed. Because humanity is unable to really contend with an old god, once per two cycles your kill may penetrate any defenses. If you wish to use this, say so in your PM. As an AQUANAUT, the other AQUANAUTS have a say in this action as well.

Cycle 2 lynch.

Ditto
Dear Chakotay,
You are Walrein.
You are a gross person and you should be ashamed of your inadequacy. -probably Yeti

Once per game, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Send Wayne Brady to FACTION.” Wayne Brady host a mafia game for the entire faction, negating all of their actions.

Ayy, well, you're totally right. This role was fluff add on to pad out AQUAS and we could have done better.

AQUANAUTS MVP
AQUAS had some of the biggest concentrations of good players this game, but I actually am going to give it to Thetwinmasters. But think about what I said.

MAGMAS
I get it. Not everybody likes these kind of roles at all. But I mean, I do. I'm never going to nix this sort of thing from my games. Magma Veil, for those who haven't heard, is a team wide passive that makes all MAGMAS get inspected and flipped as wolves. What you might not know is that when this went down at 3 deaths, it retroactively went down. All flips and inspection results are revealed. I felt like it was a cool ability for a "truly" secret faction. But mostly I thought that it was really funny. And it would have been most funny if people found out about it through the Veil getting dropped instead of postgame. I mean, what are 3 deaths? Bad luck took as many ELECTROS. MAGMAS were even partway there before someone else revived them.

There were TONS of clues as to the existence of the MAGMAS as well.
1. Two wolves were revealed and both were wolf themed, y'know, like a faction.
2. Both revealed wolves were fucking terrible and had no chance of winning. The "Werewolf" Role PM that no one saw even jokes about this.
3. The wolf kill flavor did not match their roles. Even when players wrote down Agape's kill as "consumed", I went out of my way to tell them that it was "consumption" and that the difference was important. Nothing.
4. Walrein was DEAD when he used "his" kill. This was such an obvious clue that I was pretty sure players would unravel the whole thing by Cycle 3.
5. The dead alias list was ugly as fuck and I never used red, a primary color.
6. Yeti made the game banner text red as a nod to the inclusion of MAGMAS.
7. Lie generator was so poorly used that even the MAGMAS were worried that word would get around that info-faking was going on.

I literally won Jojo mafia because I paid attention to this stuff. But no one in this game even read the rules. I really wish that could be something of a wake up call instead of this circle of salt we've had since before mafia was even revitalized.

MAGMAS, like SANDS, were also less powerful as the game went on. This didn't matter. MAGMAS should NEED to use their strong moling abilities to gain early game advantages. If they aren't ahead, they'll fall like dominoes. But they actually didn't play very well. AQUAS and ELECTROS outmoled them. They did a lot of dumb things. And Cycle 6, 7, 8, even 9 to a degree, just kill Agape and things could change so radically! But that never happened. Sure, you don't kill wolves on sight, but you should kill them sooner than never.

Blazade
Dear Garak,
You are Flame Plate Arceus.
Someday, all the world will know how right JES was about space nazis.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Word of God USER1 to USER2”. USER1 will vote for USER2 in the next cycle’s lynch.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Judgement USER”. USER will be killed. Pretending to be an AQUANAUT, the other AQUANAUTS have a say in this as well.

As you may have noticed, you appear to be on both the AQUANAUTS and MAGMAS teams, but your true allegiance lies with the MAGMAS. You have infiltrated the AQUANAUTS, but with a catch: you may never share info on their team with anyone. This includes but is not limited to users, aliases, roles, abilities, and targets of night actions. Your goal as a saboteur is to manipulate the AQUANAUTS team into making poor decisions. You even have a vote in their kill and ARE their killer. If you are inspected, you will show up as Flame Plate Arceus. A fake role PM is posted below.

You are allied with the MAGMAS. You win if all other factions are eliminated.

Dear Garak,
You are Splash Plate Arceus.
Someday, all the world will know how right JES was about space nazis.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Word of God USER1 to USER2”. USER1 will vote for USER2 in the next cycle’s lynch.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Judgement USER”. USER will be killed. As an AQUANAUT, the other AQUANAUTS have a say in this as well.

(This Role PM will only be posted if you are killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Garak,
You are Nicholas D. Wolfwood.
For all those who bitch about the original Full Metal Alchemist, remember that nobody disputes how awesome the non-canon ending of Trigun was.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Pacify USER1 and USER2”. Refusing to kill yourself, you will convince USER1 to vote for USER2 next cycle.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Assassinate USER”. Showing your true colors, you will shoot to death USER.

As you may have noticed, you appear to be an AQUANAUT, but your true allegiance is to yourself. You have infiltrated the AQUANAUTS, but with a catch: you may never share info on their team with anyone. This includes but is not limited to users, aliases, roles, abilities, and targets of night actions. Your goal as a saboteur is to manipulate the AQUANAUTS team into making poor decisions. You even have a vote in their kill and ARE their killer. If you are inspected, you will show up as Flame Plate Arceus. A fake role PM is posted below.

You are allied with yourself. You win if all other players are killed.

I asked and I received. Blazade never broke faith with his role, a role that some players can't even fathom adhering to. Blazade actually strongly wanted AQUAS and MAGMAS to win together, but Haruno was too hostile for it. I'm not sure that would have been possible, to be honest. Oddly, instead of accomplishing a lot with the AQUAS, he spent most of his time moling and liasoning with other factions, but he did get dogfish to kingmake for him.

Josh
Dear Crusher,
You are Jumpluff.
A role with some favoritism from both hosts! It is still one of the great social injustices that the Game Listing shows Overkill II as being incomplete. It’s 2016, c’mon!

Because you are friends with Yeti, you get CNCND info that no one else is entitled to. Once per cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Trick USER”. You will get whatever result they would have gotten, and they won’t be told anything.

You are currently trying to mole the SANDS as Cradily. Though it’s against the rules to share full Role PMs, it’s posted below for reference. BTW, that bit of info is true. There is a secret faction other than yours.

Dear Crusher,
You are Cradily.
Yeti usually comes up with flavor for Pokemon roles. But this one got outsourced. You’re made of rock so you get extra special defense in a sandstorm, so… sand?

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Trick USER.” You will suction cup to the bottom of the info stream, and intercept their results before they can get them. You will learn what they would have gotten, and they will learn nothing.

You are resistant to Electric type moves, so you’ve resisted not knowing that there is a secret faction: The ELECTROS.

(This Role PM will only be posted if you are killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Crusher,
You are Lightwolf.
Secretly a Lightwolf, secretly a duck.

Once per cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Sleep in USER’s House”. You will fall asleep in USER’s house while trying to kill him, instead learning their results while they receive none.

Once per cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: MLP USER.” USER will be killed a raging unicorn.

You are currently trying to mole the SANDS as Cradily. Though it’s against the rules to share full Role PMs, it’s posted below for reference. <SNIP>

Long time NOC player from what I hear. I liked his play quite a bit. In fact, I'd kinda like to be friends with the guy, as far as smogon friends go. Mind you, he botched an easy mole role hard. All he had to do in an alias game was give his alias, but he was evasive and suspicious instead. As the game went on however, he really came to understand it and figured out. Late game he was giving out actions and doing quite well at it.

Walrein
Dear Sulu,
You are Pierrot.
“My mama said, To get things done
You'd better not mess with Major Tom."

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Ashes to ashes USER.” If they die this cycle, their body will be burned ashes to ashes. And you will tell a story about who they were. Submit a Role PM, and this will be posted instead of their actual Role PM. This can be done successfully only four times.

David Bowie was a clown at one point and time.

(This ROLE PM will be seen if inspected or killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Sulu,
You are Amaterasu.
Star of my favorite game ever made. Crap, now I want to play it.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Paint USER.” If they die this cycle, their body will be painted over. And you will tell a story about who they were. Submit a Role PM, and this will be posted instead of their actual Role PM. This can be done successfully only four times.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Celestial Weapon USER.” You will assault USER with your celestial weapons, killing them.

I knew David Bowie would win. I was pretty sad when Walrein died cycle 1, and even though he came back, who knows what Janitor could have done before then. Of course everybody knew about it, but maybe This Dog is just the limit of Agape's creativity. The Yeti flip was really funny though. Though even in a world that knows about janitor, how did no one think to flip an AQUA as the Sab? That I think could definitely be argued as broken.

Jalmont
Dear Picard,
You are Smaug.
Way too good for your movie.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Lie to USER.” You will invent a lie that the host will tell USER. This won’t have any tangible effect on USER, but could really mess with them.

(This Role PM will be seen if inspected or killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Picard,
You are The Boy who Cried Wolf.
And now they’ll never believe that there’s a wolf.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Lie to USER.” You will invent a lie that the host will tell USER. This won’t have any tangible effect on USER, but could really mess with them.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Send wolf after USER.” USER will be mangled to death.

I've never seen Jalmont as much of a team player. And even though he didn't contribute much, he also never really contradicted the others. And maybe he should have. In his own words, isn't the most obvious thing to do with a Lie Generator to send another a player your "Role PM" as a result? But he never insisted. You never need anyone's permission to use your own role.

I keep hearing how obviously broken Lie Generator is. But this is the 3rd game I've used it in, and it did NOTHING in the previous two. It was almost never believed even though it was used better. I mean, let's break this down:
Cycle 1: They persuade and "silence" King_. Even though they know this won't godkill him, as there are no godkills. And they mention that this will probably just make it obvious that there's a Lie Generator. King_ never spread the memo.
Cycle 2: TIK gained a 1/3 kill hoping that he'd use it INSTEAD of his action every once in a while. That's... almost humorous?
Cycle 3: Vanillagate. Martin is told that he needs to post his WC or lose his action. He posts ONLY that he needs to kill everyone else. I should stress, since Paperblade also did this, that's not a win condition. WC is the whole line. But I saw it and immediately went into MAGMAS discord saying "GET FUCKING WRECKED".
Cycle 4: They chose not to get wrecked. They told Martin that he lost his ability. Of course, he could still try to use it. Plus, no one else had posted their WC before. Why would more than just Martin believe this? Lots of people believed it.
Cycle 5: They told Martin that he had lost his ability. ...................... it's like they were trying to tell him that they were lying to him out of pity. I mean, WHY?
Cycle 6: They tried to do the same thing with Paperblade. Pblade "stealth" posts. Which is fine, it's not a lynch. But as such, they can't "vanillize" him in time. So Martin and Pblade do the same thing and get two different results. I know they aren't on the same team, but it only would have been good for SANDS if MUDS learned this at that point.
At this point on it was always used as persuade, which is the best way to use it at that point. But I always stated that they had to vote or be godkilled. There are no godkills as per the rules. You'd expect this to fool someone, it's not a bad use of the action. But it shouldn't have fooled all three.

Drawesome532
Dear Weyoun,
You are Krakatoa.
Boom!

As a piece of land, you aren’t actually entitled a vote. So much so in fact that your will lynch vote will count as -2.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Erupt on USER”. USER will be melted to death in liquid hot magma.

(This ROLE PM will be seen if inspected or killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Weyoun,
You are the Werewolf.
From Castlevania.

You were once a boss fight. Now you’ve been downgraded to normal enemy, making your vote count as -2.

Each cycle you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Rising Tackle USER.” USER will be slashed to death.

Hey, it’s a marginally better wolf than in Metroidvania Mafia, so there’s that, right?

Dentricos subbed in for Drawesome, but then wimped out and Drawesome came back. I asked his team if they thought he should get a banner for winning, and they said yes, so that's that. Drawesome won 2official2mafia. Didn't do much. Hopefully can do more in the future.

Agape
Dear Spock,
You are Jane Eyre.
Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last. To pluck the mask from the face of the Pharisee, is not to lift an impious hand to the Crown of Thorns.

A woman of many accomplishments, you have a variety of tricks that you can use to educate people into thinking you aren’t mafia. Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Bodyguard, or Inspect, or Silence, or Persuade, or Hook, or Safeguard”. Normally I’d explain what these do, but who fucking has time for all that? I’ll assume you’re not dumb (but just in case, safeguard only blocks harmful effects). You can do only one per cycle, and may only use each once.

You are expected to be a docile, well-mannered woman, so nobody expects that you have a fiery old-testament passion for justice. Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Typhus USER”. God will punish them to death, and nobody will be capable of noticing that you did it.

(This Role PM will be seen if inspected or killed before the Magma Veil is lifted)
Dear Spock,
You are San.

You are very versatile, having learned to survive in the wild. Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Bodyguard, or Inspect, or Silence, or Persuade, or Hook, or Safeguard”. Normally I’d explain what these do, but who fucking has time for all that? I’ll assume you’re not dumb (but just in case, safeguard only blocks harmful effects). You can do only one per cycle, and may only use each once.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Stealth Kill USER.” USER will be killed and no one watching will know that you did it.

I can appreciate more than anyone that the art of manipulating people into doing what's good for you is something very hard to see. So if you did a lot of that, kudos. What I saw were a hefty amount of baffling actions and poor executions of abilities that I love. I maybe made no bigger mistake than putting Agape on this team. He is a leader type, and he is very creative. But the problem with Agape, and I've played extensively with him with mafia, d&d, PSW, is that he can think outside of the box but he can't think inside of one. And he also can't quite land in the circle. Which is a complex way of saying he does zany and often ineffective things. Only as a leader, his whole team was doing that.

It was he who decided to wipe out the ELECTROS for... reasons.

MAGMAS MVP
Agape did much of the work, but also committed many errors. The MAGMAS want this narrative where they played super well and I mean, I have reason to be biased toward that, but it's just not the case, or at least, they only played somewhat better than STARS and SANDS, and a LOT better than MUDS. Not well. Josh definitely made mistakes early as he was a new player. But eventually he was giving the orders, and frankly, he was giving the good ones. So I'll say he's MVP.

ELECTROS
When I designed this faction, I thought they would be either the best or the worst. People well and truly didn't have a good reason to go after them. Sure, maybe due to the power of their roles, you'd want to hurt an ally of theirs by kill them. Maybe. But that's all still theoretical, because they got fucked by luck and Agape. The first could have just as easily have happened to the MAGMAS. Agape had no reason to go after them the way they did.

Obviously the need SOME way to win, and that's why desperation was a thing. I actually liked this mechanic a lot, because it didn't necessarily mean that the "least losers" won (what I mean is, if last two factions win, MUDS would have won. Did they deserve to? Not really). It was secret because if it wasn't, everyone would pair off immediately and odd men out would lose first.

ELECTROS had pound for pound some of the strongest roles. Trade for help from others and you get massive value. They also had the best players. But everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked. It's like, the way people treated these two factions were literally the opposite of they should be. You should have gone gunning for wolves on Cycle 6, not ELECTROS. ELECTROS should have been secretly running the game, not MAGMAS.

Shade
Dear Ro,
You are Oricorio Pom Pom.
I don’t even know an Oricorio Pom Pom is. -Yeti’s flavor slave, vonFiedler

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Cheer USER”. USER will be able to use their action an extra time next cycle.

You are allied with the ELECTROS. You win if all other factions are eliminated?

Shade led his faction competently and early. He really didn't favor some of the independent actions of his teammates though, and he's admitted they paid off as well as they could.

Rodan
Dear Hoshi,
You are Magearna.
I swear she is making this shit up.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Martyr USER.” USER’s actions will target you, but you will be immune to any kills redirected as a result (even expert kills, should they exist).

Rodan also played pretty well. His role was actually quite strong, and is the stated reason as to why Agape turned on them. But it's not the only thing was blocking Agape's kills, and wouldn't it have worked better to work with the ELECTROS instead?

Memoric
Dear Archer,
You are Lightning Maroon Clownfish.
I assume this is also a Pokemon from Sun & Moon.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Finding USER.” You will protect USER from all harmful actions and will gain their full Role PM. You may not use this action on a member of the ELECTROS.

Memoric is the only member of ELECTROS who really didn't do much at all. Chalk that up to dying cycle 2.

Internet
Dear Kirk,
You are Hiraga Gennai.
I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to include the seminal lightning samurai. Even if Yeti hates weeb shit.

An inventor, you’re always tinkering to make your inventions better. Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Bodyguard USER or Safeguard USER”. They will be protected from kills or harmful non-kill actions, respectively. If you successfully block something, you will gain an extra use of that specific action. This can repeat until you have an infinite amount of uses each cycle. However, it resets back to 1 if you ever decide to use the other action. The additional uses of this action must be used on players outside of your faction, and none may be used on yourself.

Of the three firebot mods that randomly ended up on one informed faction, Internet contributed the least.

Kirsche
Dear Bones,
You are Aladdin Sane.
The bitter enemy of Seviper, you are a normal-type Pokemon introduced in generation III. Though your attack stat is formidable and you can swords dance, you haven’t seen competitive play since your introduction.

You’ve learned to itemize your Immunity trait. You have an unlimited number of charms that provide a one-time protection. Different charms do different things. One prevents actions from being canceled, such as by hooks or kidnaps. One stops all forms of redirection. One prevents silence or persuasion. One prevents inspections or other info roles. These can’t benefit you, or anyone on your faction. You can only send one to another player once per cycle.

Moled the MUDS so successfully that anti-MUDS killed him for it. He had no chance at that point anyway. I still want to commend Kirsche for being an active player in team discussion.

MoodyCloud
Dear Guinan,
You are Zeus.

Each cycle, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Seduce USER”. You will turn into an animal or inanimate object and chase them around intending to do things that are triggering but totally true to myth. As a result, their action will happen before any others. This will not affect kills. You may do this twice a cycle, but if you use it twice you must it at least once on someone outside of your faction.

I don't know who this guy is, but I thought he did pretty damn good. I liked a lot of ELECTROS ideas and teamwork, and he really was there with both after Shade died.

ELECTROS MVP
I'm actually going to give it to MoodyCloud. I would like to see more of him.

What would I have changed?
Not much to be honest. I'm not even sure if my changes would have affected a result beyond maybe MAGMAS sharing a victory.

AQUAS: Reverse buffs. 1 less player (the faction hook), 1 less kidnap.
MAGMAS: 1 less kill. 1 less player. I mostly gave them two kills cause I didn't want only 2 mafia kills in a big game, but I think now I could have given AQUAS 1 more kill than MAGMAS. Magma Veil would be revealed after 2 kills.
ELECTROS: I don't have anything concrete tbh. Yeti designed switchguard, and I might have it not reset stacks when you change the type of guard. Maybe you could have had an ELECTROS themed kill that required outsiders to ok it, and maybe you should have had it 1/2 cycle. But would a weak enough kill have helped you? Or would it make people more inclined to wipe you out? I don't know.
STARS: 1 more player. Action, I dunno, a good one hopefully.
SANDS: 1 more player. The kill only requires alias and faction. Inspector Gadget can inspect twice per cycle. Someone faked a role that could hook if they knew the target's faction. That's a good one. Add that one. Replace Invest-A-Gator with something similar.
MUDS: You guys are mostly are fine. But originally your kill could be used once per death, and I don't see why it couldn't again.

A lot of these changed just don't individually matter at all, and most of them I came up with by cycle 2. But who knows, maybe it would have added up.

OVERALL MVP
I think I just talked myself out of giving it to Thetwinmasters. I'm giving it to Josh . He says he might not play more OC, but I hope he does.

One of the big points of official games is to attract new players. While many subbed out, there were definitely new and relatively new faces that shined. I hope they had fun and that I can see more of them. And that'd be a pretty big win for me, IMO.

Thanks for playing! BTW, all forums are now open.

Last edited:

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yea idk it seems like every fall/winter I lapse into mafia funks where I don't invest in games like I do in the new year and I think this game planning came at that time where I was interning and schooling and thesis stressing and dating qt mod US and then I flew home when the game began, Sun/Moon came out... I came back and then it seemed like every update happened when I was interning or in class. I also felt like I didn't know what some of the roles you'd submitted even DID so I never wanted to update solo and do Some Crap that was how I would've made a similar role but not what the role actually was. I thought the ELECTROS flavor was hilarious tho but you can tell where I burnt out on writing the role PMs + every other writing related thing in my life. Also Discord like zzz I just cbf to open up yet another thing when I've had nothing but problems with the audio element of that client and IRC is fine.

I think the ELECTROS needed to be told their actual WC. They didn't really need everyone dead did they? I was surprised that was their WC because I think it worked against them badly (idiout MAGMAS) and they didn't even know what they were supposed to be doing. Like they were pitched as a support mafia who won by supporting others so I assumed they'd win by doing that and not eliminating everyone else (barring desperation) and I guess I should have been a bit more critical of exactly how elements like that were meant to play out. #lazy

Nobody pays attention to subtle clues in mafias these days. Well, von does. But very few other people. Just goes over their heads or they don't read carefully. Sad but true, so the clues the MAGMAS were #outthere were missed.

I also think the concept of specialized factions is ultimately not going to succeed or make people feel like they had 'a chance.' Dating back to that Walrein game that stole one of my games' format but he made the teams specialized, the info faction always gets screwed over. You can have a full sheet and not having hooks or bgs or what have you means you're sitting ducks. I guess LW did nothing to negotiate with the others, I think pancake told Sam the Spock wolf PM but then NOBODY LYNCHED SPOCK OMFG WHEN WILL U BUFFOONS LEARN TO INSTALYNCH WOLVES. I would've wanted to add some craftier roles that were like, you can hook/sg/bg/kill someone if you have this info and I actually forgot the info killer was in the game I think because it wound up not doing much? Rewards for having info that let the faction work independently of the others, and not at their mercy. I was willing to go along with it and try to design some interesting roles under the concept but...

Ultimately I think von's desire to have really political and strategic games doesn't pan out in 2k16 or 15 and so forth. People are way too suspicious of moles and heck von even wanted a faction FOR moling and infiltration and so forth and false results plus the oldfags are all so ornery to each other... LW and US have dick waving contests and zorbees does about as much as he does in bed with women (read: nothing), DLE and aska are activity crapshoots, shade can fall under the activity crapshoot category or he can tryhard and die N1, then people who have been around for a long time like BT/jalmont are activity variables as well (jalmont was super active in Metagame but there are others he's sat back for), what will Agape do this game, even jumpluff and I have fallen under "is this tryhard game" at times, the list goes on of people hosts will Assume or Hope will be active, diplomatic participants but then there's never really the realization of "we need to work together to win and create temporary alliances to take out other threats" like people should have been selling out ppl to the STARS to get lynches through but idk if there was that going on. The listed players CAN all do good work in mafia games and carry their teams but WILL they?

I felt really bad for the ELECTROS because I feel like their newer players were pretty active they just got unjustly bullied by the MAGMAS who were extremely active but maybe that was just Agape spamming their forum like he got paid per post made or something. The other teams had noobs like acid telling aska who he was gonna revive and then noobs like aska thinking reviving a wolf who died C1 was a super dank idea. I still am mystified why he thought that was THE play... but whatever. I think the MAGMAS could have gotten shrekt but like... nobody on the AQUAS notices X Plate Arceus is THE quintessential MAGs series mole role? That dude is always changing plates moling someone and yall let it happen -x- nobody familiar with my games notices THE TEAM THE SERIES IS NAMED AFTER isn't in the game??????? The AQUAS and ELECTROS (A CHALLENGER APPROACHES) are as mafias but there's, y'know, not the MAGMAS lurking too?

I would have liked to see this game as an actual 3 village vs 1 mafia game, with the AQUAS having 2-3 nightly kills and being super heavy hitters, necessitating more village cooperation rather than m'conspiracies and blah blah wasting time on the ELECTROS lynches and kills. Exactly what the label said, 3v1 (1v1v1v1 but hey), no desperation, just 3 villages with specialties and a stronk mafia. I think that may have gotten more of von's desired gameplay and I feel bad because von has a lot of really unique multi designs and ambitions but then you get bumpkins like the SANDS and MUDS doing ?? never figuring out who their moles are or the STARS sheeting Haruno and somehow believing his bs and you just sort of sit back and go hm yeah I think 6 factions 2 hidden was Too Much. Ah well.

I hope people had fun playing and that newcomers stick around for other games!

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
also yeah our info gathering/player manipulation was a lot more effective than our role usage

i probably could have come up with better uses for janitor/lie detector but i had been hyped to mole some STARS and the instadeath sorta took the wind out of my sails so i just started pseudotrolling as outed wolf

and then that got boring too so i sat back and let agape/josh take care of things and it worked out ok

i feel like everyone on our team contributed in their own way (except maybe drawesome but at least he voted a few times and apparently had sam fooled!). jalmont feigning inactive worked surprisingly well and he was a voice of reason in lategame strategy discussions, and blazade kept the aqua kills off of us which is good enough for me

all in all it was a very fun team to work with so that was nice

shoutouts to all the players on opposing factions that i had pleasant negotiations with, it was fun pretending i could actually kill people

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
for what it's worth, TIK and I claimed the EXACT SAME role name which is why he may not have been trusted at the start.
re: TIK not being clean? First i heard of it, but I told TIK exactly who LW told me to target. I had no idea what the fuck was going on, but literally LW could confirm the smogon conversation we had. von told me I couldn't tell LW directly, so I told TIK information only in the conversation between me and LightWolf, including the specific targets he told me and that i had told him that my alias was in the set of aliases that LW told me to target, both things LW could easily verify to other SANDS. at the very least, a deadtalking role would be verified.

i played more of this game while dead than while alive.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You are Walrein.

You are a mafia host that is just looking to suck dick for mods. You’re tired of being thought of as an AQUANAUT, so you decided to join the SANDS.

Unfortunately, everyone assumes you are “confirmed AQUANAUT” and because of this, any inspection results will show you as an AQUANAUT with the following ability:
Once per game, you may PM Borg Queen and Q with “Cycle X: Send Wayne Brady to FACTION.” Wayne Brady host a mafia game for the entire faction, negating all of their actions.
While you were working on Wayne Bradiest, Yeti accidentally let some design info about this game slip. You know that the AQUANAUTS are not fully united and do not know all of their members.

This is the fake claim I made, which would have be supported by my earlier posts.

So Walrein is an Aquanaut right? We should just go into the game assuming that.
Mafia contact me. I do need you dead, but I'm also cute!
The idea was to convince people that the Aquanauts would be weaker than expected. Who knows if it would've work at all, but it was a fun idea for me.

von actually did give me a couple of pieces of info about the game. When I gave him my fake he said that a mole role would have a full fake PM in the original role PM. In addition to this, I asked if I could target Saboteur with my role, assuming it was a wolf faction. When asked von said that I couldn't because I needed to the faction name and not the role, which led me to believe that the Saboteur had partners and a faction. My only minimal contribution to the Aquanauts.

Yeah a lot of our actions (especially our early actions and the ones involving the lie generator) were drunk as fuck, but I really couldn't help early on because of my restriction as saboteur, and even later most of the time it was difficult to iron out things that were too specific.

I always planned to have the paranoia of my role be a large factor, and though some of my inactivity toward the beginning was circumstantial I definitely played into that so that if I ever got the chance to affect something I really had to (or in this case get the chance to step up) I would be relatively cleaner for not having seemed like I was already pushing an agenda. I was pretty fucking paranoid based on activity and sheet activity that I was to some extent figured out (because I'm an obvious pick to request a secret role, I'm Splash Plate Arceus, and von flat out said Sab was a killer even if it theoretically meant it could be passed on), so I tried to play it as cool as possible. Even so, I shipped Aqua info about non Aquas reliably and concisely, and as the Magmas finally started piecing stuff together, I played as much a role helping with actions as I could.

Aquas were getting lynched by other factions when they could be, and they were inspected often enough that I didn't really need to thin their numbers either. In fact, at a certain point if we were still going to get mileage out of my role even if we weren't ultimately allying with them, we needed to stop the bleeding. I even managed to help negotiate Agape to JOAT BG rssp1, though I was never going to tell the mafia that for fear of broadcasting a closer relationship with the wolves than the already tight one I was revealing. I thought the timing of the big aqua attack was perfect, and it allowed us to cause a little chaos to act as yet another distraction while I stalled the question of me being Sab for as long as possible.

Other than that my goal each cycle was to protect my own position and steer actions away from the Magmas, and considering my apparently long compromised position I think I did a great job of that. I had a lot of fun with Agape making fake logs, keeping my internal story straight because I was privy to so much information and so many agendas, and balancing promises with other factions so they stayed away from us while also playing it to the Aquas that long term alliances with villages wouldn't work out by editing/omitting logs (while being prepared to post anything people asked for), offering my own perspective, and being aggressive. rssp1, even though he was working to protect me for some reason, also kept me on my toes arguing with me about actions, holding me accountable for everything I said. Even if it's obvious for mafia not to kill the wolves and let the village do it, which made my job easier, a different negotiator would probably have committed to a village long ago and pushed for those lynches while taking more effort to investigate players like Jalmont who would be firmly in the PoE in an alliance containing Aquas.

When I finally greenlit the Kill half the Aquas and leave me to fend for myself plan, I knew it was in part because Josh didn't value my position in the Aquas nearly as highly as he valued his own position in the villages (as helpful for the team), but regardless I was prepared to show the team that I could handle the situation and continue to protect them. Even if arguing with Haruno was stressful and frustrating at the time, I still managed to stall the conversation, pull out a lot of good arguments, play to paranoia, and try to use Josh on the other end to undermine Haruno to keep the lie alive. I could only do so much, but not giving up and leaving a small chance for me to be Aquas was enough to have Dogfish throw in with me when that was his only chance to win. Having me kill myself only goes badly if every negotiation with the others also went badly, so it's not a big deal, but losing the persuade would have hurt.

Regardless, getting to follow tons of alliance lines, play around a minefield of lethal actions, juggle tons of info I wasn't allowed to or didn't want to share, and keep a strong mathematical faction balance through negotiation inside and outside my alliances really made this game enjoyable for me. I thought my role in this would have earned me Honorable Mention for MVP along with Agape, but that just means I'll have to try even harder next time. Thank you very much vonFiedler and Yeti for designing and hosting this game, and thanks von for creating this role and trusting me with it. It's not often we get to play in a game of this scale, and having a great team in Agape Josh Walrein Jalmont and Drawesome532 makes it even better, so shoutouts to the Magmas!

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've already explained but I assumed lie generator was a thing and I didn't wanna do anything outrageous with it and get discovered >_> if I knew it was not common I'd have built a rufflets faction (with a less memey name, possibly even magmas) and converted middle to lower end players. My strat generally relies around taking out the vets first ie why dle died first, because I'm paranoid they'll be harder to manipulate. Converting middle and lower class players makes manipulating easy. That's not a personal shot at all but comparing let's say oddish to dle and there's a clear experience difference, and obviously oddish would be easier to lie to. I fall into that oddish category too as someone who would be pretty easy to fool straight up due to lack of experience. If I had even the little oc experience I had now going back into the game I'd have moled sands much better among other things but can't rly complain with a clean sweep anyhow.

Early game the ? mark wincon scared us. However, when we learned it was desperation and not some weird anti magma thing, I was ready to get kills off of electros. Moody was trusting me, giving me info, etc. The issue was that he had a boner for killing wolves. While that was the correct play, obviously I couldn't let the wolves die cus yknow magmas, so unfortunately electros had to die. Bones and tuvok were the lynches I pushed for, tuvok because martyr with a bpv can screw magmas, and bones because he was a powerful role and because he was one of the 2 slots for a remaining electro to fit (kira/pidge being the other, with troi being a possibility but highly unlikely). It was a pleasant surprise when he flipped electros and that redirect was obnoxious regardless. A reason agape kept pushing electros that people don't seem to get is that he was diplomatic with every single faction except electros. They ALL, possibly except aquas, trusted him to a degree. Especially sands and muds, which was apparent by pancake giving him sands aliases in order of how much he trusts them as well as a shit ton of other info, and acid being acid. He had to arrange a lynch on someone who wouldn't break allegiances for as long as possible so an electro was an easy middle ground that pissed nobody off. It was something safe for him to push that wasn't him or another magma. I do not criticize him for that play.

Haruno did you guys actually believe garak was unkillable at night when I spread that rumor to fh? Lmaoooooo. Anyways, yea, blazade didn't rly do anyrhing anti aquas. He actually played with your best interests in his heart at just about every occasion.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I honestly have no clue what you were doing. Lightwolf spent all SANDS precious early resources cleaning players, even redundantly at times. He was hostile toward other factions when he had no real power (and even less with no offensively oriented info). He didn't do anything with his knowledge of desperation.
Firstly the only redundant cleaning was done on Pblade after his role checked out, which in fact does not clean him with a counter claim on his role name existing. Secondly this attempt never worked because it failed every single time due to hooks or redirects. So no resources were EVER actually wasted on redundant cleaning of players.

Secondly, with zorbees claiming to be a "Party Guy" role that gains a bonus if he unites our faction, cleaning people seemed actually useful, not that actually inspecting enemies would do us any good, seeing as the only ones that mattered were fake. Btw on Agape's flavour being Wolf, no one was ever told that, all I heard is that his role name was "San", you kinda can't PASTE FLAVOUR so I could have any idea what that was.

The only hostility I showed was when factions kept asking me "Is X yours?" and 80% of the time they were, and even then my shouting tended to amount to "FUCK YOU WE AIN'T PLAYING THE NAME THE SANDS GAME! Gimme 10/15 not yous and I will give you like half not ours from that". Completely reasonable. Also US was the one who made an alliance called "Anti SANDS Alliance", so I wouldn't say I was the hostile one, considering he tried to contact me total of one times.

Also of course I'm not gonna act like I had no power, firstly the OP states:
  • The SANDS, an inquisitive village with the tools to gain information and great rewards for gaining it. The more they know, the better they are at swinging the game in their favor;
secondly, I'm not gonna make my team look weak when in negotiations, that'd be suicidal.

And finally what can I do with the knowledge of desperation? I certainly focused STARS knowing that if they despair sooner rather than later I can work with them, then ELECTROS did it first and that went out of the window fast. Certainly I wasn't supposed to spread the info, nor trade the info desperation is a thing. Get someone despairing then work with them, far simpler.

Also TIK's role wasn't trusted because he kinda implied he was a role not meant to play to win, pancake inspecting him thought he lost his role FROM targeting TIK, and TIK claimed to have gotten a kill yet neither did pancake return with that result, nor did TIK ever bring it up again. Also I saw through the fake because I kinda asked Walrein to use Dog when he kills.

Story time: As a leader like from the get go I had probably less SANDS claiming to me than they were claiming to each other, and not a single SANDS actually attempted to mole, that didn't make my life easier. Then the big Wolf result went public and Josh claimed to leak the info that ELECTROS exist to the AQUAs in exchange for info on who is SANDS. Then I was being the victim of the SANDS revolution started on a lie by Josh which was brushed off onto Agape being Agape. In the mean time I added Pblade to the sheet, then removed him as two things making him suspicious surfaced. After that I courted the obvious clean twin cops till they finally gave me aliases and were added to the sheet. After that the steady decline of our faction continued, THE END.

Point is we were an info faction that was completely pointless for every other faction, because within 2 cycles they managed to piece together a general list of each faction's members, and all we could do is maybe buy them doing stuff with their doing stuff roles by giving them stuff to do. Ergo all we could do is trade info for promises. Agape was the most useful person because he actually told me stuff that the more backhanded leaders confirmed with their target lists given, and he was an inspected wolf, of course at that point I'd rather cozy up to him to not kill us. Also lets just discuss how FUCKED my faction would have been if we actually didn't go public with Agape's info and tried to kill it, the fact the good play would be game losing is insane.

ok so i actually was pretty afk for the part where we lied to martin about the same thing twice in a row

Agape please explain lmao
idk really, this is the first time I hear of this

I guess it's due to the repeated editing of the magmas' night actions?

also, This Dog was due to LW asking walrein to prove his role with a dog janitoring

E2: we thought of janitoring someone as wolf with aqua forums access around C8, but eventually decided against it

Last edited:

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
everyone is shitting on me because i "did nothing", so I'd like to defend myself. The main thing about my game was that I (expectedly) got complacent because it seemed from the surface that the MUDS were doing well. I said many times on discord that I would have liked if the rules said something along the lines of "don't always trust host information, it could be false" (I feel like having this line should be required in the rules if it is true). Early on, I was trying to mole Lightwolf, as he said, so I couldn't lead visibly without exposing that (I did decently well, getting Lightwolf's alias as well as a couple other SANDS aliases before I had to claim alias, at which point I just stopped because I didn't want to claim my own alias). Plus, acidphoenix and then Blue_Tornado were fairly obviously clean (although I was a bit skeptical of phoenix because of the redirect on his role when he hadn't shared his alias with anyone), so I had no reason to negotiate with other factions. I couldn't exactly have done anything to stop askaninjask from getting the info about phoenix's ressurect because it happened so early, and they were both already openly claiming muds before I had even read my role PM and I didn't want to cause a shitstorm when theoretically everyone should be fine if they don't share their alias. I had always said in the muds leadership group that at some point, we should use askaninjask's claimed role (redirect target to self) on the wolves to slowly eliminate them, but early on when we were the only team that knew Walrein's alias, that was a key point in having him theoretically cooperate with us. And I don't really think its surprising that the muds got moled to hell when we didn't really have any way to clean ourselves; we didn't really ever trust any of the moles except kirsche anyways. I think I would have liked it if each faction had at least some balance rather than being 100% all-in on their theme; for example the MUDS could have used a role similar to Memoric's as an info role.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[/quote=Yeti]
Nobody pays attention to subtle clues in mafias these days. Well, von does. But very few other people. Just goes over their heads or they don't read carefully. Sad but true, so the clues the MAGMAS were #outthere were missed.[/quote]

And I think the hosts are far too expectant of people to pick up on clues that they shouldn't have any reason to notice. The two of you stated outright that the majority of the experienced people were placed into informed factions, how would any of the more inexperienced people on the uninformed factions be expected to pick up on a lack of red usage in the OP or in any way know what Yeti's preferences are for manga/anime/whatever the hell MAGs is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)