1. The moderators of this forum are cant say, Hulavuta, and DragonWhale.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

3v3 General Discussion

Discussion in 'Battle Spot Singles' started by cant say, Nov 20, 2016.

1. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

I kinda disagree, I think with some time Blaziken will be at the top of the viability rankings. Regular Blaziken has been so good since bank dropped, and adding the mega to the mix just makes it better. +1 base 100 speed is soooo much better than 80, now you can outspeed Lele after one boost and bop it, you can run Adamant instead of Jolly and outspeed Mega Gengar / Tapu Koko. Hell, Adamant even outspeeds max speed Pheromosa after one boost! It won't break walls as well as Z move Blaziken, but it takes care of offensive teams so much better as a Mega.

If anything, I think Mega Blaziken is more threatening this gen than it was in ORAS, and it was a pain back then too.
  2. Olijolly

Olijolly

I am still hesitant to give blaziken the mega spot for most of the teams I can think of. But as of the other comment, I do agree with blaziken being extremely good. As I said earlier, I do believe mega mence is better (overall) but only slightly. I don't believe the difference is that big. I just love blaziken with z move just dealing massive damage. That being said, I've been using blaziken with z move + mega mence.

edit: I recently watched a stream by a Korean player (2000+ in every season and is a popular Korean player) and he was trying to blaziken with and without mega stone for few days and was calling the mega blaziken crap. I didn't take him seriously then (not saying he's bad) because the guy usually makes hasty comments too quickly.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    lordkira likes this.
  3. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Has got the gift of gab
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I would love a link to the stream? I'm always looking to watch some high level battlespot.

I think the main reason people steer away from Mega Blaziken is that it feels a little redundant when compared to regular Blaziken. Its a heavy price(mega slot) for a simple stat boost, though cant say brought up a lot of good points, the jump in Speed tier is pretty clutch. Though I personally haven't tried Mega Blaziken this gen :)
  4. Olijolly

Olijolly

Joeyboy, there you go with the links!

Blog: http://blog.naver.com/PostThumbnailList.nhn?blogId=jhshin329&categoryNo=47
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/jhshin329

He also has an afreeca stream, which is a Korean twitch-equivalent site but I can't seem to find it right now.
  5. Steel With It

Steel With It

So, I was mixing and matching my 'Mons the other day and came up with a slightly unconventional stall core that's been surprising the absolute hell out of me. Figured I might as well share it for anybody else who's tired of seeing the same few hard-hitters on every team and wants to cockblock the lot of 'em at once.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sets (open)
    Celesteela @ Leftovers
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
    Sassy Nature
    - Heavy Slam
    - Flamethrower
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Extreme Speed
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Morning Sun

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Synthesis

(The latter two's Speed EVs are for outpacing Base 70s, namely Breloom and Bisharp. Also, I think you can wrangle a few extra Defense points out of Venusaur by running Bold and enough Speed to hit the same benchmark, but like I said, I'm using Pokemon I already had.)

I've been swearing by Celesteela + Fire-type cores since the beginning of the gen, and this is the most unbreakable I've found so far. I hope to get some replays up of them in action, laughing off everything from Blaziken to Greninja to Mega Mence, but they've earned their nickname of The Ragequit Sisters a little too well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course, no core is perfect in such an enormous metagame; they have no moves to hit Alolan Marowak and the rare Chandelure with, so pack something to deal with those just in case.
  6. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

Thought I'd work it out the difference between Bold / Timid Venu for you, first thing I noticed was that all your EVs are wrong anyway. 248 HP gives the same as 244, 8 spe is the same as 4, 192 is the same as 188, 64 is the same as 60, 96 gives the same as 92, and 160 gives the same as 156.... Might want to optimise your spreads first lol.

Anyway. Here's the comparison between yours and a Bold one:
    Timid 164 Def / 92 Spe = 164 Def / 123 Spe
    Bold 68 Def / 180 Spe EVs = 168 Def / 123 Spe

So yeah Bold Venu is slightly better if you can get one.
  7. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Has got the gift of gab
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

So is Smashpass no good in BSS? Just theorycrafting but Smashpass seems like it'd be quite strong as it doesn't really factor in your opponent's team. BSS has always been interesting to me because you can only bring your 3 to your opponent's 3. You have to essentially guess which 'mons your opponent will bring. With Smashpass, for the most part, you can simply play your gameplay; rather than attempt to check your opponent's chosen 3.
  8. NOVED

NOVED twitch.tv/novedpoke
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Smashpass hasnt got much attention in the meta but eeveepass can be a pretty strong team in some matchups. A lot of teams just flat out lose to it unless they get critical hits on the exact turns they need to.
    Theorymon, bobochan and cant say like this.
  9. L0rdL33t

L0rdL33t

I have been wrecking shop with Mega Beedril/Guts Swellow + AV Dhelmise +Eviolite Rhydon. Beedril/Swellow both are speedy and hit like a truck and can Uturn into either Dhelmise and Rhydon as needed. Dhelmise and Rhydon i found compliment each other EXCELLENTLY (well except for ice). Dhelmise is immune to special fighting (Rhydon gives zero Muks for physical fighting) and resists water and grass while Rhydon laughs at any fire and flying attacks while also utterly shrugging off physical dark attacks (although knock off sucks to be hit by it's not the end of the world depending on the rest of the foe's team) and retaliates with ERFQUAKE/megahorn. My team also includes Gyrados and Darminitan
    cant say likes this.
  10. Solerme

Solerme
    is an official Team Rater

It's always cool to see non standard teams, you should join us in the battle spot room and try your team in the daily tournaments

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)